PDA

View Full Version : News article on long hair

EdG
April 24th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I typed "long hair" into Google to see where LHC ranked, and one of the items returned was:

Meet the real life RAPUNZELS! How do they cope with hair so long they can sit on it?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3051179/Meet-real-life-RAPUNZELS-cope-hair-long-sit-it.html

I thought "I know a lot of real life Rapunzels, and it's not hard to figure out how to cope with hair long enough to sit on".

Despite the silly title, the article is very positive, interviewing four long-haired ladies ages 40-60.

LHC'ers might be interested in some positive news about long hair.
Ed

cocoahair
April 24th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I think LHC has skewed my views on what qualifies as "Rapunzels" :laugh: thanks for sharing. Interesting to see them broadcasting it in the media considering how pressured women are to cut their hair at a certain age. I love this article because I hope to rock long hair all my life :rockerdud:rockerdud

Arete
April 24th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Such gorgeous hair!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 24th, 2015, 08:48 PM
A good article about long hair for a change - and of course, gorgeous hair too.

Natalina
April 24th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Their hairs are beautiful, and I love how confident and radiant they look! :D

And I just found out that my 3ft long hair is considered "Rapunzel" length to some people, although to me it's not that long at all, haha. Thanks for posting this, it made my day!

LadyLong
April 24th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I think LHC has skewed my views on what qualifies as "Rapunzels" :laugh: thanks for sharing. Interesting to see them broadcasting it in the media considering how pressured women are to cut their hair at a certain age. I love this article because I hope to rock long hair all my life :rockerdud:rockerdud
Hello Cocoahair, Being in my 60's, I have been very pressured to cut my hair. Insult over injury, women friends say my face is too small for long hair. Glad to have found this LHC because it provides the support needed to keep my long hair because I like my long hair and always have had fun with different hairstyles.

picklepie
April 24th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Don't. Read. The comments.

That is all.

noreenw
April 25th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Pickle pie, you are so right. I read some of the comments out of curiosity... and I'm just astonished that people find it acceptable to be so judgmental about these ladies' confidence and sense of beauty.

Upside Down
April 25th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Yea the comments are a bit hard to read. But the article was nice. They are all beautiful women and have beautifuk hair... Though, no grays whatsoever make me suspicious.

In any case, lovely, thanks gor sharing! :)

allierat
April 25th, 2015, 01:32 AM
The Daily Mail is often referred to as The Daily Fail around here (I'm in the UK). Not only is it nice to see a positive article on hair, it's just generally nice to see a positive article from that newspaper!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 25th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Most of the comments are - not gorgeous.

lapushka
April 25th, 2015, 06:54 AM
I love the 60 year old's hair, the waves, the wispier ends. Lovely!

Linguaphilia
April 25th, 2015, 07:04 AM
I enjoyed this article immensely and will be sharing it on the Flemish forum. Thanks.

ashke50
April 25th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Wow, an article in the daily mail that was positive about the appearance of older women. Must be a blue moon.

embee
April 25th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Good to see the article. Did not look at the mean old comments. Bet these ladies don't wear their hair loose every day, so the pictures are not quite representative. ;)

Someone could invite them to join LHC, they'd find a host of new friends!

hidetheice
April 25th, 2015, 07:28 AM
I never knew there was such a stigma against long hair... until i read those terrible comments =( =(

Nellon
April 25th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Oh, wow, what a nice article! And how beautiful these women are! <3

cathair
April 25th, 2015, 07:54 AM
It's a nice article (for a change as ashke50 says).

I managed to get through one out of three pages of comments without throwing myself off the balcony. The most divisive hair seems to be Melanie's, the knee length dark brown wavy hair.

Doesn't surprise me really, the very tips of her hair remind me of mine a bit and I've heard all the same comments before. 'Give it a good brush', 'rats tails', 'damaged ends, chop them off' etc. It's people not really understanding (or liking) the natural of wavy hair. Very sad really, when more people have wavy or curly hair than don't.

Still as allierat says, it's Daily Fail! If I agreed with the majority readership, I would I have to sit down and have a serious assessment of myself and my opinions.

StellaKatherine
April 25th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Loved this article and how positively this women were talked about ! I LOVED how this beautiful women looked!

But yeah.... the comments are not suprising , more like what I would expect.

allierat
April 25th, 2015, 08:52 AM
But yeah.... the comments are not suprising , more like what I would expect.

Same here, which is actually rather sad :(

StellaKatherine
April 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Same here, which is actually rather sad :(

Indeed, I wish for once I would have mistaken :(

EdG
April 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM
The Daily Mail is often referred to as The Daily Fail around here (I'm in the UK). Not only is it nice to see a positive article on hair, it's just generally nice to see a positive article from that newspaper!

Still as allierat says, it's Daily Fail! If I agreed with the majority readership, I would I have to sit down and have a serious assessment of myself and my opinions.That's a hilarious name. :rollin: My local newspaper is known as the Murky News (San Jose Mercury News).

I couldn't read much of the comments either. :(
Ed

cocoahair
April 25th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Hello Cocoahair, Being in my 60's, I have been very pressured to cut my hair. Insult over injury, women friends say my face is too small for long hair. Glad to have found this LHC because it provides the support needed to keep my long hair because I like my long hair and always have had fun with different hairstyles.
Ya girl!:cheer: I have yet to face that day when I know people will tell me to cut it but its people like you who make me realize I won't be alone :grouphug:

Lady Katherine
April 25th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I liked the article but not the comments. Oh my. :disgust:

lazuliblue
April 25th, 2015, 10:48 AM
The comments are ridiculous. The article is great! Thanks for posting it EdG.

harpgal
April 25th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Nice article, Ed. It is a joy to see these gals stand up for what is right for them and not be pressured by others to have short hair.

Recently, I have thought quite a bit about my long hair. I live part-time in a "geezer" community. The average age is 64. Most of the time, I am the only person with long enough hair to wear a single braid around my head. I get stared at a lot and it is not for my looks, I'm sure. I realized how precious my tresses are to me when the thought hit me that if I were to cut it off, I would not live long enough to grow it this long again. At my age (66), there is no second chance. It was a bit daunting to come to this realization.

Halliday
April 25th, 2015, 11:55 AM
they do have gorgeous hair. i despise the Daily Mail though, it's pretty horrific.

EdG
April 25th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Recently, I have thought quite a bit about my long hair. I live part-time in a "geezer" community. The average age is 64. Most of the time, I am the only person with long enough hair to wear a single braid around my head. I get stared at a lot and it is not for my looks, I'm sure. I realized how precious my tresses are to me when the thought hit me that if I were to cut it off, I would not live long enough to grow it this long again. At my age (66), there is no second chance. It was a bit daunting to come to this realization.harpgal, those are my sentiments exactly. I am 50, and one never knows what will happen.
Ed

Mimha
April 25th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Wow, gorgeous ladies, so natural and elegant !! :thud:

Thank you so much for sharing, EdG !! I particularly love this dark haired lady with the red dress : so lovely hair, nicely ringletting all the way down, and so beautifully fairytailing !... :crush: I also like the second lady with the sleek clean looking red-blond long hair. So classy ! I wish I will rock my hair like them when super long. Oh God I do !... :) :)

I'm just amazed to read so many appalling nasty comments about a light and enjoyable subject as hair. Why do people think it useful to post such acidic comments that add nothing interesting to the conversation but just reveals their meanness of spirit ??
And WTF shoe-sole stickers concern has to do with a hair length article ??? We are talking about HAIR, 'dammit !! :spam:

Well I guess so many people are just so much into appearances and fashion/media formattage that even to talk about hair you have to wear the proper shoes !... :ohmy:

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
April 25th, 2015, 12:19 PM
It was a nice article, thanks for posting. :)
I should've heeded the wisdom of those who came before me and skipped the comments section though, lol. I understand some people just don't like long hair, but I don't understand the harshness of some of the commenters. Words like "pathetic" and "vile" being thrown around... really?! How on Earth is someone else's hair that offensive to you? Sheesh.

mzlbcmami
April 25th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Cool, i liked the video as well. :) The woman in the red dress was my favorite in terms of hair! Loved her texture.

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Amazing! Those ladies are gorgeous! :applause And their hair is stunning! :thud:
I'm also happy about the trend that the article talked about, about more women choosing to grow their hair longer. :bowtome:

Thanks so much for sharing, EdG! :flower:

chen bao jun
April 25th, 2015, 03:15 PM
I just loved this article and those women were all very beautiful with beautiful hair.
Something to aspire to as I get older.

TrapperCreekD
April 25th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Such a great, positive article! They and their manes look gorgeous! :thud:

I almost talked myself out of not looking at the comments but I peeked and then couldn't look away from the disgusting ignorance. :puke:

LadyLorien
April 25th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I never knew there was such a stigma against long hair... until i read those terrible comments =( =(

I was unaware as well. Why does the length of someone's hair concern anyone other than the person whom is attached to it?

Vanilla
April 25th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I liked the article as well. It was interesting that they had some LHC style shots from the back of the hair. And I loved that one of the ladies uses GM products. :)

starfire
April 25th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Regarding the comments: I never realized people had such strong opinions (vile, gross, etc) regarding the length of women's hair.

Hurven
April 25th, 2015, 04:58 PM
All 4 of those women had lovely hair! :o But seriously, what's up with all those rude comments? I never realized that the length of someone else's hair could be so offensive to anyone. :confused:

chen bao jun
April 25th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Don't. read. comments.
I used to do that but I stopped because a) I like long hair, I don't care who does or who does not, I'm still growing mine out
b)I think there is like this set of people, the same people, that's all they do all the time, google 'long hair' and then write nasty comments about it. At least it reads like that. The comments always sound exactly the same. And none of them are ever true things. I don't think they actually look at the photographs, because they will accuse the long-haired people of having hair that looks dirty when it isn't; accuse them of having 'dead ends' when they don't (at least, all hair is dead anyway, why are long haired people's ends deader per se); and say that the hair is straggly when it isn't. they also don't seem to have much vocabulary outside of 'gross' 'disgusting' and 'ewww', although they do know about Cousin Itt and accuse everybody with long hair of looking like that, even though few of us cover our faces with hair and then put our glasses on on top....

If the woman is older, or has grey hair, they will accuse her of being a witch or looking like a witch? what does a witch look like, now that we have real ones running around again? its become a popular alternative religion, not for me, but apparently its a lot of people's cup of tea, people who took a certain kind of feminist history course in college, usually. Everyone I meet that is into wicca is a college educated woman under 35. None of them have grey hair. some of them have somewhat long hair, most of them don't. You cannot tell they are a witch unless they tell you they are. Duh. They are happy to tell you that they are a witch and to explain why as they seem somewhat proselytizing as a group, at least to other women. I don't agree with anything they say, ever, but I do believe in freedom of religion and freedom to proselytize (I belong to a proselytizing religion too) and have discussions and in not insulting people for their beliefs and hey, I don't think they can actually make my cattle get sick (not that I have any cattle) or cast any spells that actually do anything, whether black or white magic, so they are not, ummm, threatening to me...?

I also happen not to believe that its a crime for a woman to get old and have grey hair or that women are useless unless they are young and nubile and decorative in the eyes of the random idiots on the internet. so , as I said, I don't aggravate myself reading the repetitive and boring posts of people who have no power to do anything to me, and way too much time on their hands, clearly.

cathair
April 25th, 2015, 07:09 PM
About the comments... I think you need to understand the context in which they have been posted. It may not be well understood if you are not from the UK.

The Daily (Fail) Mail is a very conservative paper (rag). This is not the type of place where you will find open minded and liberal people.

I think this has a kind of two fold effect. Firstly, it means they type of people who read this paper are not very welcoming of ideas that are different to their own. They will often be fiercely criticised. Secondly, people who are opposite to their readership, more open minded and liberal, often have long hair. It's almost like they are natural enemies of each other.

It's part of the reason they have been nicknamed the Daily Fail. Because they are so stuck in their ways about certain topics, their viewpoints often don't make sense.

I know I am making gross generalisations here. But it's hard to explain and I am hoping to illustrate the point. If anyone British wants to chime in here and stop me digging and even deeper hole, please do :D

I did ask a friend how they would explain the Daily Mail to someone not from the UK she struggled to find the words too. They likened it to the New York Post, but I don't know if that is actually true as I don't read it.

That said, I think a lot of the viewpoints are common here. I have had them said to me over and over again. My hair is witchy, because it long and has white in it. My hair is ratty, because it clumps at the ends into 'rats tails'. My hair needs a good brush because I am wearing it wavy. Perhaps it's a bit more candid than you would usually hear, but I am thinking not really. People are just rude. I've always looked different even without my hair. I don't care, I have developed the skin of an elephant.

Plus I think long hair just creeps some people out. That's their prerogative. I've heard people say they are creeped out by being so attached to a dead appendage. Just like long nails creep some people out. I don't agree, but I can understand that. I think it's a gut reaction, just like some people like long hair and don't know why.

Daylilly
April 25th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Thank you for sharing ED, I really enjoyed it. I think long hair gives a youthful and fun look for all these women.

FallingDarkness
April 25th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Wow all of their hair is sooo lovely. It was a cute article too - their interviews were well spoken.

chen bao jun
April 25th, 2015, 09:25 PM
About the comments... I think you need to understand the context in which they have been posted. It may not be well understood if you are not from the UK.

The Daily (Fail) Mail is a very conservative paper (rag). This is not the type of place where you will find open minded and liberal people.

I think this has a kind of two fold effect. Firstly, it means they type of people who read this paper are not very welcoming of ideas that are different to their own. They will often be fiercely criticised. Secondly, people who are opposite to their readership, more open minded and liberal, often have long hair. It's almost like they are natural enemies of each other.

It's part of the reason they have been nicknamed the Daily Fail. Because they are so stuck in their ways about certain topics, their viewpoints often don't make sense.

I know I am making gross generalisations here. But it's hard to explain and I am hoping to illustrate the point. If anyone British wants to chime in here and stop me digging and even deeper hole, please do :D

I did ask a friend how they would explain the Daily Mail to someone not from the UK she struggled to find the words too. They likened it to the New York Post, but I don't know if that is actually true as I don't read it.

That said, I think a lot of the viewpoints are common here. I have had them said to me over and over again. My hair is witchy, because it long and has white in it. My hair is ratty, because it clumps at the ends into 'rats tails'. My hair needs a good brush because I am wearing it wavy. Perhaps it's a bit more candid than you would usually hear, but I am thinking not really. People are just rude. I've always looked different even without my hair. I don't care, I have developed the skin of an elephant.

Plus I think long hair just creeps some people out. That's their prerogative. I've heard people say they are creeped out by being so attached to a dead appendage. Just like long nails creep some people out. I don't agree, but I can understand that. I think it's a gut reaction, just like some people like long hair and don't know why.

You are so nice and understanding.
Can it really be though that Daily Mail readers are responsible for all these kinds of comments on every place where they show photos of long hair on the internet, all the time? Peripatetic bunch!
And I understand that people have gut reactions but there's time to think and decide not to say anything before your gut reactions come out of your mouth and LOTS of time to think before your hand goes to the keyboard and more time yet before you press that SEND button...

cathair
April 26th, 2015, 08:23 AM
You are so nice and understanding.
Can it really be though that Daily Mail readers are responsible for all these kinds of comments on every place where they show photos of long hair on the internet, all the time? Peripatetic bunch!
And I understand that people have gut reactions but there's time to think and decide not to say anything before your gut reactions come out of your mouth and LOTS of time to think before your hand goes to the keyboard and more time yet before you press that SEND button...

Some of the time ;) I'll keep trying.

No of course Daily Mail readers are not responsible for these comments everywhere. But I would hate for anyone to feel offended by the comments in this article without understanding the type of person they come from. I respect their right to their opinion, but as you can probably tell, I do not hold them in high regard. Trying to change their minds about almost anything is as futile as trying to fight the tide of the sea. Better to watch from the shore, perhaps gain a little entertainment from watching but let it pass.

I wish people had your discipline and manners Chen :) Sadly I think some people just automatically say what they think and feel without too much conscious thought. Then the internet adds a layer of keyboard warriors too...

Annalouise
April 26th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks EdG for sharing.
How interesting that we get our hair genes from our Father's Mother, and our Mother's Father. I didn't know that.

StellaKatherine
April 26th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks EdG for sharing.
How interesting that we get our hair genes from our Father's Mother, and our Mother's Father. I didn't know that.

Hmmm, interesting as that is how I got my hair colour :D Both of my parents are with the almost black, thick curly hair. My Father's Mother and my Mother's Father have a lighter an more vavier hair :D

paulownia
April 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM
And I was worrying if its not too late for me to start growing the hair (Im 35;) as I will reach my dream length in 3-4 years and close to 40 I will be crazy pressured to cut it short again.:rolleyes:

pixldust
April 26th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Thanks for sharing Ed, it's lovely to see older women being true to themselves and what makes them happy when it comes to their hair. All of them had beautiful hair and looked so radiant.
I haven't read the comments but I can easily imagine the general tone of them. The Mail readership, as Cathair pointed out, are not well known for their tolerance of anything outside of their narrow-minded beliefs and opinions. It's a paper that is held in contempt by other papers and mocked in satirical publications like Private Eye. I used to read comments on articles purely for the entertainment value. My particular favourites were articles unvolving tattoos and/or piercings, something Mail readers are completely disgusted and horrified by. The comments were always priceless, containing the wildest and most vitriolic generalisations you can imagine. But I digress...
Well done to these ladies for not giving into societal pressure. They are an inspiration to anyone wanting to be a longhair for life.

cathair
April 26th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks EdG for sharing.

If that's true, how can my brother and I have such different hair?

cathair
April 26th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Thanks for sharing Ed, it's lovely to see older women being true to themselves and what makes them happy when it comes to their hair. All of them had beautiful hair and looked so radiant.
I haven't read the comments but I can easily imagine the general tone of them. The Mail readership, as Cathair pointed out, are not well known for their tolerance of anything outside of their narrow-minded beliefs and opinions. It's a paper that is held in contempt by other papers and mocked in satirical publications like Private Eye. I used to read comments on articles purely for the entertainment value. My particular favourites were articles unvolving tattoos and/or piercings, something Mail readers are completely disgusted and horrified by. The comments were always priceless, containing the wildest and most vitriolic generalisations you can imagine. But I digress...
Well done to these ladies for not giving into societal pressure. They are an inspiration to anyone wanting to be a longhair for life.

That did make me chuckle. Thanks for chipping in :)

Dona
April 26th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Hmmm, interesting as that is how I got my hair colour :D Both of my parents are with the almost black, thick curly hair. My Father's Mother and my Mother's Father have a lighter an more vavier hair :D

This is not true for me, my father's mother had dark brown hair, my mother's father had vibrant red hair. I got my hair from my father who got it from his father, the only ones with blonde hair in the family as far as I know. My mother has dark red/brown hair.

I liked the article and think the ladies look lovely.

meteor
April 26th, 2015, 12:54 PM
^ About the genes, it's not specifically the father's mother and the mother's father that give you the genes responsible for hair color. I don't know why the video stated so, to be honest. :hmm: It can happen, of course, but not a requirement. :) (Blonde is recessive to brown, so it's pretty normal to have 2 dark-haired parents and a blonde child if somebody in the family were blonde, too (the recessive gene didn't get expressed in the parents but got passed on via one or both parents). )
Because you have the same number of genes as your parents, you have half of your mother's alleles, and half of your father's, but it's basically random which ones you get, which is why your genetics would be different from your siblings' : they also have half of your mother's genes, just probably not the same half.

chen bao jun
April 26th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Thank you, Meteor.

A lot of people seem not to understand recessive genes, which is a shame because kids looking like NEITHER parent, or having a trait neither parent has can run into problems.

I m lucky my parents were educated, because I have got hazel eyes which often turn green, which were blue until I was about six months old, and neither parent has this, and none of my four grandparents had hazel/green eyes, either.

However great grandparents on both sides did.

I've known people with blond hair where it's the same situation. One friend is Greek, the whole extended family has got black hair, not brown, black, and olive skin (some do have blue eyes). And then there's her, a natural, pale blonde who has stayed that way without bleach until now (she's about 49, and grey and blonde now), blue eyes, pale freckled sKin and to top it off, she's 3b curly, everybody else's hair is 1b at most.

The family photos always give rise to questions. The same ones I've always gotten when I take my glasses off. The same one my mother asked when they brought me to her after birth in the hospital --'This is not my baby, this baby has blue eyes.' They only convinced her that I belonged to her because there were no other babies born that weekend, so that it wasn't possible there was a switch.

allierat
April 26th, 2015, 03:10 PM
The family photos always give rise to questions. The same ones I've always gotten when I take my glasses off. The same one my mother asked when they brought me to her after birth in the hospital --'This is not my baby, this baby has blue eyes.' They only convinced her that I belonged to her because there were no other babies born that weekend, so that it wasn't possible there was a switch.

It's a commonly held belief (at least with people I know) that all babies are born with blue eyes which then settle to their proper colour within a few months. Both my children had blue eyes at birth, but I'm guessing from what you said it can't be possible for all children to have blue eyes at birth. Genetics fascinate me, though I doubt I'll ever properly understand them.

StellaKatherine
April 26th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I was told, that when I was born I had the darker eyes ( almost black ) and a black hair. Actually my hair and eye colour affected a lot when choosing a name for me. Mom considered a Diana for me, but because I was so dark she thought it wouldn't fit. Funny thing is that when I turn about 6 month my eyes and hair started to lighten up suddenly. Actually hair turned very light golden blond and my eyes turned in to blue-gray. Eyes still that colour but unfortunantely hair colour darkened with time, but not even close to what I was born with :D

Beatnik Guy
April 26th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Ed.

Larki
April 26th, 2015, 06:30 PM
http://www.livescience.com/13564-babies-eyes-start-blue-change-color.html

On the blue eyed baby thing.

truepeacenik
April 27th, 2015, 12:48 AM
The section name...Femail?

Is. That what the little wimminfolk get on their fancy computers, too?

cathair
April 27th, 2015, 05:54 AM
The section name...Femail?

Is. That what the little wimminfolk get on their fancy computers, too?

Yes, but no. They get it on their phablets. Wouldn't want to over complicate things for them with a keyboard. Besides, computers aren't as pretty.

emilia1992
April 27th, 2015, 06:11 AM
So I saw this in the newspaper last week and thought you guys might like a read. Their hair is stunning! I'm glad that the article portrayed them (and other longhairs) in a positive light, especially with the quote about how 'supermodel Twiggy stood up for older women with long locks'.

As ever with such articles, ignore some of the comments at the bottom of the post. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3051179/Meet-real-life-RAPUNZELS-cope-hair-long-sit-it.html

Entangled
April 27th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Neat article! However, it already has a thread:). News article about long hair, I think.

cathair
April 27th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Yup, over here :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131123

hanne jensen
April 27th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Thanks for posting this thread. I missed the other one. It's nice to see mature ladies with long hair portrayed in a positive manner.

chen bao jun
April 27th, 2015, 09:16 AM
http://www.livescience.com/13564-babies-eyes-start-blue-change-color.html

On the blue eyed baby thing.

people of African descent are born with dark brown or black eyes, even mixed race people with African descent have dark eyes at birth usually. I can count on way less than 10 fingers the adults of African descent I have ever seen IRL who have hazel, green, blue or other than dark brown or black eyes, and all were mixed race. And having lived in China, Chinese babies aren't born with blue eyes either.

Famous black people like Tyra Banks or Vanessa Williams have natural blue, green or hazel eyes (green or hazel much more often than blue) about 1000 times more than the regular population, and there are not even a lot Of them.

I think eyes other than brown, dark brown and black are a Caucasian characteristic,, possibly mostly northern European even (though I don't know that for sure) and are such a recessive gene that they don't show up a lot even in mixed race people . This has now crossed over into thread jack territory so stopping here.

emilia1992
April 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Ah yes! I didn't see the earlier thread! Thanks to whoever directed my thread to the one here :)

embee
April 27th, 2015, 11:26 AM
On the Blue Eyes thing - I think it is most *kittens* are born with blue eyes, and they usually change to green or golden as the kittens become cats. :) But not always. Isn't it Siamese cats that have blue eyes? And pure white cats with blue eyes are often deaf?

Genetics is a Huge Mystery. Like how come the white color, the blue eyes, and deafness are often connected? Wow.

Linguaphilia
April 27th, 2015, 02:30 PM
It is related to pigmentation. I am deaf myself and I have a blue left iris and a green right iris. Plus light blonde strands in darker blonde hair (as you can see in my avatar).

Hairkay
April 27th, 2015, 02:34 PM
All babies are born with blue eyes only they come in various shades. Dark brown eyes start of a very dark navy or blue black then tint to black brown. Nurses in the family and they all know this. I checked my nephews' and nieces when new born and found that they were correct. The change can happen anything from a week to months in dark brown eyes. Lighter eyes can change anything from months to years if they're going to change at all.

Back to the topic. I'd never noticed an article on long hair before these forums.

Angelica
April 27th, 2015, 04:35 PM

I like the brunette's hair the best, especially striking against her red dress. But they all have lovely hair. Although I don't think of any of them as being "Rapunzel." Surely your hair would need to be at least to the ankles for that!

Regarding the topic of genetics and eye colours. My son was born with dark brown eyes and his eyes have remained dark brown. So it isn't true that all babies are born with blue eyes.

tigress86
April 28th, 2015, 05:35 AM
I like the brunette's texture and the second lady's hair color. They all have nice hair and it was a nice article. I just wish I hadn't read the comments!

DreamSheep
April 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I loved Melanie's hair!

Too bad the Daily Fail's commenters live up to their name and don't understand the way wavy hair works. :p

Thought all the women had delightful hair and it seemed like they lead interesting lives too. It still astounds me how people like to put other people down, as if they were there God-of-the-Earth.

LongCurlyTress
April 29th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I looooved this article!! Thank you so much for sharing it! Talk about serious motivation!! One of my favorite quotes is from Friedrich Nietzsche: "Those who cannot hear the music think the dancer is mad." Guess we are all hearing the music! ;):joy:

vpatt
May 22nd, 2015, 02:44 PM
Very interesting. So far I have not had any negative comments, but my hair is only CBL. I'm waiting for the negativity to start, lol.

pixietail
May 22nd, 2015, 03:02 PM
Don't. Read. The comments.

That is all.

I wish I'd taken that advice. The poisonous negativity there is killing my happiness about the article.