PDA

View Full Version : I bleached my hair yesterday

noteve
April 24th, 2015, 03:57 AM
And right now parts of it are bright yellow but some locks of hair don't seem to have changed at all. So I have to wait with an uneven color until my hair has recovered so I can fix it and then tone it. I used lots of coconut oil and had it in my hair during the bleaching process. I put coconut oil in straight afterwards and have left it in since. Isn't it a good idea to just have it in my hair until I fix it?

It doesn't feel damaged at all - I know it probably is, but it seems to be minimal. I have a few questions. How long do I wait? Should I stick to the coconut oil or is it better to use some other kind of treatment? If so, what should I use?

And finally, can I use purple shampoo now to counteract the yellow color to make the waiting a bit more bearable?

(I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.)

tigress86
April 24th, 2015, 04:55 AM
They say that purple shampoo/toner will properly only fix very light yellow, like the inside of a banana peel. You can try of course, it couldn't make things worse in my opinion.

noteve
April 24th, 2015, 05:07 AM
They say that purple shampoo/toner will properly only fix very light yellow, like the inside of a banana peel. You can try of course, it couldn't make things worse in my opinion.

Thanks, I think I'll try it.

Rosetta
April 24th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Coconut oil is fine, but any kind of protein treatment would be good for your hair now, too :)

Nadine <3
April 24th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I would do a protein treatment as well as the coconut oil :)

Hurven
April 24th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I have never bleached my hair, but I've heard that it's good to do a protein treatment followed up my a moisture treatment. I also heard that while bleached hair needs protein, you shouldn't only do protein treatments because it will make the hair more dry and brittle.

noteve
April 24th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll look into protein treatment!

Khristopher
April 24th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Look into protein treatments, I like the diy gelatin treatment, cheap and easy. Give at least a week of rest to your hair before doing something else to it (be it dyeing or more bleaching), and baby it the most you can, specially when it's wet!
HTH :)

FallingDarkness
April 24th, 2015, 10:44 PM
I like using the Mane and Tail conditioner whenever I need extra protein, if that helps!
Wishing your hair the best :)

pastina
April 24th, 2015, 11:08 PM
ok, me? i'd wait at least a month after a straight bleach to touch anything with peroxide in it again. purple shampoo might help a bit, but like others have said, it'll only really do the trick for yellow hair. it helps to put the shampoo in your hair without lathering it.

now... i don't know many details here as to what volume developer you used, how long you let it sit, etc. all that will have bearing on the condition of your hair, and honestly, damage can take a while to show itself. (like, up to a month!) but, if you're *really* uneven, here's what i'd advise:

use a good protein conditioner like joico kpak and then let your hair get a few days dirty. then apply coconut oil, especially to your ends. mix bleach powder with 30 volume peroxide (or less! just, never 40! 40 is evil.) and then mix THAT with an equal amount of shampoo. ***have a friend help you!!** have them apply the mix to the darkest portions of your hair and let it sit under a shower cap.

so that's the process i'd use, though honestly, like i said, i'd wait at least a month to do it. it's usually recommended to wait a full month after a full-strength bleach. but, if you do what i've described (mixing with shampoo is called bleach bathing), you can do that process again weekly. the shampoo lessens the strength of the peroxide, which lessens damage, but it also hinders lift. so, you might need more than one session of bleach baths focused exclusively on dark portions of your hair to get you looking even again. but then you can switch to doing your whole head again. you'll get weekly gradual change instead of a big change all at once, AND you'll protect the integrity of your hair.

if it's any encouragement at all, my hair is the color and length it is because i lightened it very gradually over a long period of time using (weak) weekly bleach baths.

cat11
April 25th, 2015, 07:24 AM
I love hask keratin protein packet :) I use it on my hair (which has old bleached ends) once 1 month or so when I can tell its starting to get crunchy and needs it. I LOVE this stuff and it smells very good.

They sell it at walmart for $1.70

Decemberrose
April 25th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I can strongly recommend the purple shampoo from Fudge. It is one of the strongest. It can tone the brassiness down a fair bit. Best result after 2-3 washes. :) Good luck.

noteve
April 25th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I did a protein treatment today and when the time comes to bleach my hair again I'll do a bleach bath.

You've been incredibly helpful!

meteor
April 25th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone! I did a protein treatment today and when the time comes to bleach my hair again I'll do a bleach bath.

You've been incredibly helpful!

Oh, and if you use bleach again, make sure it's on heavily oiled hair with coconut oil, and do protein treatments (Aphogee 2-step is great, for example) before and after bleach again. :)
Also, toners and purple shampoos can be pretty drying so I'd up oiling quite a bit around the time those are used.

gwenalyn
April 25th, 2015, 03:50 PM
If the purple conditioner/shampoo isn't cutting it, you can also mix your own with a deposit-only dye like Manic Panic and conditioner. It's more customizable--you can add more or less dye to make it more or less strong, and if you have orange tones in your hair you can use blue dye or a blue/purple mix. And of course, since it's just deposit dye and conditioner you can leave it in as long as you want. Caveat--I've been trying to make this work for a few weeks for me, and it hasn't quite worked. :shrug: I just like the idea of it so much--it's cheaper, practical, customizable, all the things I like.

pastina, thanks for the description of the bleach bath! I always wondered what that was. I'm doing "normal" colors now until I find a job, but as soon as I can I'm going back to purple. In the meantime, I just drool over your profile pictures!

pastina
April 25th, 2015, 08:27 PM
^no problem! and thank you for the compliment! if you have questions, i'm here, and i'm a self-proclaimed DIY pro. :D just pm me, i don't always check the mane forum.

kidari
April 25th, 2015, 08:39 PM
If the purple conditioner/shampoo isn't cutting it, you can also mix your own with a deposit-only dye like Manic Panic and conditioner. It's more customizable--you can add more or less dye to make it more or less strong, and if you have orange tones in your hair you can use blue dye or a blue/purple mix. And of course, since it's just deposit dye and conditioner you can leave it in as long as you want. Caveat--I've been trying to make this work for a few weeks for me, and it hasn't quite worked. :shrug: I just like the idea of it so much--it's cheaper, practical, customizable, all the things I like.

In order to tone brassiness your hair needs to be light enough for purple shampoos to have an effect. If you have orange brassiness I found that you just need to lighten it more before you can tone it if you want to be a lighter shade. If you don't mind or don't want to go lighter, the only way to counteract the brass is toning darker. For example you're a dark brassy orange blonde, then you can go over it with a demi in an ashy light brown. You'll be darker, but the brass will be gone. I would be extremely careful making your own toning conditioner. I had first hand BAD experience with it. I mixed a TINY amount of Manic Panic in a turqouise with tons of white conditioner and left it in a couple minutes and I went from about a level 8 brassy color to straight up jet black with glints of emerald green under bright light. Let me tell you, I found out the hard way that deposit only veggie dyes can be permanent and blue is the hardest color to get out. Best advice ever is to do a strand test before doing your whole head. I wish I had done that so that I could have avoided that disaster of making my own toning conditioner. If you are light enough and just dealing with yellow, I would just get the Manic Panic virgin snow instead. (I never used it personally). After my experience with Manic Panic, I never touched the stuff again.

pastina
April 25th, 2015, 08:48 PM
manic panic virgin snow is just diluted purple. it's an expensive alternative to mixing a toner yourself, and again, will only do something if your hair is already super light yellow.

kidari, that sounds like a terrible experience! i've never heard of that happening, and tbh, my experience has been that blue is the hardest color for me to keep from fading out! meanwhile, pinks... those are forever.

ChloeDharma
April 26th, 2015, 06:53 AM
I would also advise an acidic rinse after lightening your hair. Personally though if I wanted to fix this I'd go to a good colouring salon as trying to fix things yourself can lead to over processing and a colour disaster.

I also repeat the other posters advice to use a protein treatment and particularly the great oiling advice from Meteor.