PDA

View Full Version : True story, how I got rid of splits!5.

Vanilla
April 23rd, 2015, 07:29 PM
About a month ago, I asked for LHC's advice on how to help reduce my pesky split end problem. I've been following their recommendations, and I came up with a few others that have really helped.

1. S&D until the splits are truly reduced in number. This may take a little while, even over the course of a few weeks.

2. Clarify! I now use a clarifying shampoo with every wash (I have not noticed any damage from using it at every wash)

3. Analyze your split ends and keep track of the type of them. I was mostly getting splits that started an inch up from my ends and realized they were very bent, most likely do to some sort of continued mechanical damage.

4. Take action to reduce mechanical damage! For me, that meant no longer using my wet brush on dry hair or combing my hair when wet, only detangling with a wide tooth comb when dry. (I thank gossamer for this tip to detangle only when dry, as she has a similar hairtype as me). I was already doing protective styles and wearing a satin cap to bed.

5. Reduce any and all conditioners and shampoos that contain protein, salicylic acid or waxes.

6. Don't be afraid to use products with silicone to give increased slip.

7. Moisturize when hair is still damp. I vary my leave in depending on the conditoner I've used. I don't always use LOC, but when I do, I use the protein free panacea and coconut oil. On alternate washes, I just use mineral oil with my coney conditioner.

8. Don't give up!

Wildcat Diva
April 23rd, 2015, 07:43 PM
Great tips! I'm so glad the advice you got is working for you!

Vanilla
April 23rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks Diva! Your recommendation to keep at S&D really paid off. I am sitting here with my scissors and found only a few splits on my whole head tonight.

Anje
April 23rd, 2015, 08:10 PM
I should give the "only detangle dry" thing a shot. My hairstyle isn't far off yours, and the times I've purposefully not detangled wet, it surprising hasn't created a huge uncombable mess. My split end situation has improved consistently with time spent on LHC (I'd say maybe 1% of my ends are split) but there's lots of room for improvement.

Vanilla
April 23rd, 2015, 08:16 PM
I should give the "only detangle dry" thing a shot. My hairstyle isn't far off yours, and the times I've purposefully not detangled wet, it surprising hasn't created a huge uncombable mess. My split end situation has improved consistently with time spent on LHC (I'd say maybe 1% of my ends are split) but there's lots of room for improvement.

I was also surprised that my hair wasn't a dreadlocked mess if I didn't detangle when wet. I spend about the same amount of time detangling when it's dried and not touched as I did when it was wet. Give it a try, and let me know if it works for you :)

teddygirl
April 23rd, 2015, 08:23 PM
oh s&d...Its my least favourite thing but pretty important. I should schedule myself a session this weekend =\

vega
April 23rd, 2015, 09:23 PM
That's strange you had to avoid splits by not using the wet brush, that promises not splits caused by Brushing

-Fern
April 23rd, 2015, 09:29 PM
I am also a convert to detangling only when dry. :D Thank you for all the great tips, I will have to start working on some of the others. :flower:

Dessi
April 23rd, 2015, 10:06 PM
Congratulations! I'm happy about you!
And I have a question, what exactly is the problem with the wax in the conditioner?

Nadine <3
April 23rd, 2015, 10:16 PM
Congrats on getting rid of the splits! I should give only detangling dry a shot...

Aurum
April 24th, 2015, 12:01 AM
I'm glad to hear you've found things that work for you! Better that than the all-too-common "I can't deal with my hair anymore" posts.

I'm a dry detangler as well. My hair sticks to itself and anything in its vicinity when soaked, so wet detangling just rips out unnecessary hair. Even with finger detangling, it manages to wrap around my fingers and pull on my scalp. Combing wet also majorly disrupts my wave pattern, and I end up with not just fine, but limp and straight hair as well. I don't mind straight hair; it just doesn't work for me. At least my waves provide some much needed volume.
On the other hand, it does take 3+ hours to dry instead of 1ish.

Still, I have a much happier head of hair since I've given that up.

Nique1202
April 24th, 2015, 05:44 AM
It's amazing how every head of hair really does need different treatment. Adding a proteiny shampoo actually cut my splits by a large amount (from 15-20 a week down to 2-3) but I'd also never used protein before and it's a very small amount since most of the shampoo obviously rinses out. :laugh: It's great to see people find their perfect hair routine, I hope this all keeps working for you!

lapushka
April 24th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Looks like you moisturized more (that's what works for me). Good news! :)

Vanilla
April 24th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments and support :)

That's strange you had to avoid splits by not using the wet brush, that promises not splits caused by Brushing

I think this is a case of YMMV with the brush. There are some people on LHC that find the tangle teaser damaging as well.

Congratulations! I'm happy about you!
And I have a question, what exactly is the problem with the wax in the conditioner?

The wax was building up in my hair over many washes, and now allowing any moisture products to penetrate well. This created a cycle of dry ends that ended up splitting.

Hurven
April 24th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I'm glad you have found out what works for your hair! :)

Anje
April 24th, 2015, 08:20 AM
.... Next day:

Come on hair! Dry!!!

:lol:

Popsicle
April 24th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Good tips. Doesn't silicone build up on hair much the same as waxes do, causing build-up?

Arctic
April 24th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Vanilla thank you for a followup!!! It will be greatly appreciated by many people in the future, when they do forum searches. I'm so happy your got the problems you had solved!

:cheer: :cheer:

Vanilla
April 24th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Good tips. Doesn't silicone build up on hair much the same as waxes do, causing build-up?

Silicones do build up, but now I use a clarifying shampoo with every wash, and alternate using coney consitoners and cone free ones.

Popsicle
April 24th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Silicones do build up, but now I use a clarifying shampoo with every wash, and alternate using coney consitoners and cone free ones.

Oh good-- I like leave in silicones sometimes too.

mzlbcmami
April 24th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Cool thanks for the tips. I have been wanting to try Silicone mix. It has so many raves and reviews.

Vanilla
April 24th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Glad it was helpful!

RavennaNight
April 24th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Great advice! Although a bit of protein in my conditioner has been fine (pantene repair & protect.) You can really go cross eyed with S&D but i agree it is so worth it. A half a year ago I had weird, crinkly ends, and it helped the appearance right away. It was just very time consuming. And yes, cones. Cones are not the devil. I love me some cones.

Nadine <3
April 24th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I waited until my hair was completely dry before I detangled and...oh...It worked perfect! No more wet combing for me! Thank you Vanilla!

meteor
April 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Thanks so much for the follow up post, Vanilla! :flowers:

I particularly loved your #4 and I can concur absolutely. :agree: When I threw away my brushes and started using a wide-tooth comb only on dry (or just a bit damp) hair, I never saw a new split end again. I really think mechanical damage is an important source of splitting and should be watched like a hawk to win this battle.

I loved your comments on silicones, too. Silicones may hide damage, but first and foremost, they *prevent* damage by giving that slip which... reduces the need to detangle thus reducing that mechanical damage that can cause splits.

I'm glad to hear you've found things that work for you! Better that than the all-too-common "I can't deal with my hair anymore" posts.

I'm a dry detangler as well. My hair sticks to itself and anything in its vicinity when soaked, so wet detangling just rips out unnecessary hair. Even with finger detangling, it manages to wrap around my fingers and pull on my scalp. Combing wet also majorly disrupts my wave pattern, and I end up with not just fine, but limp and straight hair as well. I don't mind straight hair; it just doesn't work for me. At least my waves provide some much needed volume.
On the other hand, it does take 3+ hours to dry instead of 1ish.

Still, I have a much happier head of hair since I've given that up.

I'm the same! :agree: If I comb my hair when wet, I'll still need to comb it later again and again when it's dry (more unwanted manipulation), because the hairs will stick to each other again. Might as well use my patience and comb only once, when it's (finally) dry! :)

Colochita
April 24th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I implement most of these and am happy to confirm that these also work on kinky hair. (Although I dry detangle with conditioner and steam.) :)

I don't use silicones, though, so I can't vouch for that.

Vanilla
April 25th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I waited until my hair was completely dry before I detangled and...oh...It worked perfect! No more wet combing for me! Thank you Vanilla!

So glad it worked for you as well! Yay!

Thanks so much for the follow up post, Vanilla! :flowers:

I particularly loved your #4 and I can concur absolutely. :agree: When I threw away my brushes and started using a wide-tooth comb only on dry (or just a bit damp) hair, I never saw a new split end again. I really think mechanical damage is an important source of splitting and should be watched like a hawk to win this battle.

I loved your comments on silicones, too. Silicones may hide damage, but first and foremost, they *prevent* damage by giving that slip which... reduces the need to detangle thus reducing that mechanical damage that can cause splits.

I'm the same! :agree: If I comb my hair when wet, I'll still need to comb it later again and again when it's dry (more unwanted manipulation), because the hairs will stick to each other again. Might as well use my patience and comb only once, when it's (finally) dry! :)

Glad to hear you liked my follow-up. :)

I implement most of these and am happy to confirm that these also work on kinky hair. (Although I dry detangle with conditioner and steam.) :)

I don't use silicones, though, so I can't vouch for that.

Awesome, glad to hear my advice works across other hair types.

StellaKatherine
April 25th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I have been detangling only when my hair is dry since May last year. And it has been an eye opening for me! Actually my hair detangles BETTER when dry! I hear less of hair snaping and less of hair comes out. My hair hasn't grown enough to see if this has affected in anyway my ponytail, but my hair does feel better. My hair loves both protein times to times and OILING A LOT :D

cat11
April 25th, 2015, 08:10 AM

Only detangling dry has helped me alot too :) I would definately add a reccomendation for it!

Its nice to hear success stories of good care paying off!! That "monster split" thread scared the crap outta me

Hairkay
April 25th, 2015, 11:24 AM
I never thought of analysing the type of split ends you get before. I've seen mostly forked splits and bent ends. I don't count tapered ends. My hair would be down constantly rubbing against shoulders, back, clothes, straps etc. I deep condition now and s & d is a habit that I find easy because it sort of reminds me that I had a version of it when I was younger when I used to bite off my ends. Only that way I was making the problem worse. I no longer use any coal tar product and I'm allergic to shampoos and conditioners so that's ruled out. I finger detangle on wet hair. Dry detangling is such a pain and I manage to break off too much hair that way. I'm wearing my hair up most times these days.

Vanilla
April 25th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Glad to hear so many are fans of dry detangling. Hairkay, finger detangling is great for wet hair :)

Zesty
April 25th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Dry detangling is the bomb. When I tried to detangle wet I just felt like I was fighting with my hair. I'm thinking I'll have to use a shampoo with salicylic acid or coal tar though because it seems to help my scalp... But these seem like great tips, and I am also happy that you found something that works so well for you!

divinedobbie
April 25th, 2015, 09:06 PM
So I decided to try not detangling/combing my hair when wet for the first time in my life. I think I took it a little bit too far the first day because I washed, and then put it up in a bun when it was still damp and didn't take it out to detangle even before I washed next (just did some light finger detangling in the shower). Then I once again put in a damp bun and when I took it down that evening and tried to comb it, I got some major breakage. But my fault, I took the no detangling way more seriously that you advised.

So the next day I washed, let dry without combing, and then detangled and it was pretty good. I wouldn't say there was a big difference in breakage versus if I had combed when wet but it's still a nice feeling knowing I don't have to comb when wet (since hair is most delicate when wet) to still be able to detangle. I'm going to keep doing this and see if I notice an improvement. Only problem is that if I don't comb when wet, my hair takes much longer to dry (strands aren't seperated out) and then I have to throw it up in a damp bun before I leave for school.

Anje
April 29th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Dry detangling is definitely going to be a thing for me from now on. It's working great -- i didn't usually have tons of tangles when wet, but I'm also not having tangles when it's dry, and I'm pretty sure I'm shedding WAY less. I'm not sure why I waited so long to try it.

gossamer
April 29th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Dry detangling is definitely going to be a thing for me from now on. It's working great -- i didn't usually have tons of tangles when wet, but I'm also not having tangles when it's dry, and I'm pretty sure I'm shedding WAY less. I'm not sure why I waited so long to try it.

Yay! I'm so glad to hear it works for you just like it's working for Vanilla, me, and all the other commenters chiming in now! :D

Arctic
April 29th, 2015, 07:41 AM
It doesn't seem to make a difference for me whether I comb wet or dry. How do you all, who say one or the other works better, have been able to realize it? I rarely have tangles and combing is always easy. I don't get breakage nor do I shed much (unless I have a shedding period). I often comb in the shower, either with conditioner or under running water. I also usually comb my wet hair after towel drying. But I can skip both (and often do skip both or just other) and wait till my hair is dry, and combing would be just as easy (only my hair would look more messy because of "straivy" hairtype).

gossamer
April 29th, 2015, 07:56 AM
It doesn't seem to make a difference for me whether I comb wet or dry. How do you all, who say one or the other works better, have been able to realize it? I rarely have tangles and combing is always easy. I don't get breakage nor do I shed much (unless I have a shedding period). I often comb in the shower, either with conditioner or under running water. I also usually comb my wet hair after towel drying. But I can skip both (and often do skip both or just other) and wait till my hair is dry, and combing would be just as easy (only my hair would look more messy because of "straivy" hairtype).

You're really lucky not to have tangles often! Every time I brush my hair, I encounter tangles. If I do something like a rope braid, my hair decides it loves the twists so much that it tangles into them after I take the braid back out. I just clarified yesterday and while my hair feels much happier, it's still in love with itself.

When it's wet, it sticks to itself and I can't run a comb through it. When it's loaded up with conditioner while I'm washing, I can finger detangle but I have to be careful or I'll turn the natural clumps, which will break back apart once dry, into actual knots. As my hair drys, it mostly lets go of itself. At about 80% dry, I usually can finger detangle most of it and braid it. Once it's totally dry, then I can brush it.

It wasn't that hard for me to realize that wet finger combing/brushing didn't work but dry brushing did.

It's just a hair type issue, I think.

harpgal
April 29th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I do gently pull the "ropes" apart while my hair is wet, but I comb only after it is dry. I finger comb before I use a Madora wide tooth comb, very slowly. As it dries, it certainly gets easier to de-tangle. Having very fine hair is a challenge. It floats and does not drape, so any movement at all creates tangles.

meteor
April 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM

You're really lucky not to have tangles often! Every time I brush my hair, I encounter tangles. If I do something like a rope braid, my hair decides it loves the twists so much that it tangles into them after I take the braid back out. I just clarified yesterday and while my hair feels much happier, it's still in love with itself.

When it's wet, it sticks to itself and I can't run a comb through it. When it's loaded up with conditioner while I'm washing, I can finger detangle but I have to be careful or I'll turn the natural clumps, which will break back apart once dry, into actual knots. As my hair drys, it mostly lets go of itself. At about 80% dry, I usually can finger detangle most of it and braid it. Once it's totally dry, then I can brush it.

It wasn't that hard for me to realize that wet finger combing/brushing didn't work but dry brushing did.

It's just a hair type issue, I think.

I do gently pull the "ropes" apart while my hair is wet, but I comb only after it is dry. I finger comb before I use a Madora wide tooth comb, very slowly. As it dries, it certainly gets easier to de-tangle. Having very fine hair is a challenge. It floats and does not drape, so any movement at all creates tangles.

^ Yes, definitely, that's such a perfect way of putting it. :agree:
Yes, it's as if wet hair loves itself and strands stick to each other.

So if I detangle when wet, the hairs are being separated in some areas (say, at the top), while at the bottom those same hair strands are wet and sticky and are clinging to each other (at different angles), as the comb is trying to ease them apart, breaking the natural clumping pattern.

The way I know waiting till fully dry helps is simply by looking at the huge hairballs I get from wet detangling + additional big hairball from dry detangling afterwards: the more I comb as it's drying, the more hair can be pulled out. But if I wait till the hair is dry, then I get only a reasonably big hairball. And waiting saves time and effort, too. :) But for people who don't get tangling problems, it's likely not a noticeable difference.

Arctic
April 29th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks all :) I started to think if I'm doing damage without realizing, but I guess I can continue using both dry and wet combing.

Neecola
April 29th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Only detangling dry has helped me alot too :) I would definately add a reccomendation for it!

Its nice to hear success stories of good care paying off!! That "monster split" thread scared the crap outta me

Hi cat, looks like we have a similar hair type... I am trying to envision how this would work for someone with curls. Do you wear your hair down? I would think the detangling would break up the curls after they dry.

Thanks for sharing your tips, Vanilla. I started using a sulfate shampoo occasionally and am really surprised how much it helps. My hair is very prone to build up too.

Ilenora
April 29th, 2015, 05:51 PM
What is s&d?

meteor
April 29th, 2015, 05:56 PM
What is s&d?

S&D is "Search & Destroy": seeking out split ends/white dots/knots and cutting them out (with sharp hair scissors perpendicular to hair shaft with a clean cut).

LadyLong
April 29th, 2015, 08:50 PM
It seems that being careful really helps in the long run compared to a rushed and careless hair routine! Hmmm, I need to learn to be more gentle, not only to my hair, but to my whole self :)

curlylocks85
April 29th, 2015, 09:07 PM
1. S&D until the splits are truly reduced in number. This may take a little while, even over the course of a few weeks.

I do this too. It does not take a few days for me; it takes a few weeks sometimes more, but it is worth the time because my hair still gains length and I am reducing damage, which allows for my hair to be healthier, shinier and smoother.

tigress86
April 30th, 2015, 01:38 AM
I haven't used protein for almost three weeks now. I usually use a protein heavy S&C at least two or three times a month. I haven't seen a single white dot or spilt so far. I guess from now on I will only use the protein when my hair seems to need it, not just in case once in a while.

gossamer
April 30th, 2015, 05:19 AM
It seems that being careful really helps in the long run compared to a rushed and careless hair routine! Hmmm, I need to learn to be more gentle, not only to my hair, but to my whole self :)

Well said! This is a lesson I am really thankful that LHC helped me learn.

lapushka
April 30th, 2015, 03:49 PM
My hair gets detangled after washing (as well as pre-washing) but now only with a wide tooth comb instead of with comb/brush. It gets detangled after it comes out of its towel (15-20 min.). This is to remove the sheds and before LOC is applied. It works fine for me. I don't dry-detangle because I don't want to disturb my wave pattern!

I don't have splits or white dots and I'm 2/3 inches from classic.

LadyLong
May 1st, 2015, 10:30 PM
My hair gets detangled after washing (as well as pre-washing) but now only with a wide tooth comb instead of with comb/brush. It gets detangled after it comes out of its towel (15-20 min.). This is to remove the sheds and before LOC is applied. It works fine for me. I don't dry-detangle because I don't want to disturb my wave pattern!

I don't have splits or white dots and I'm 2/3 inches from classic.
LAPUSHKA, your avatar with the golden mask really stands out every time you make a comment. Very impressive! I had a very tangly day today because I only washed with shampoo and tried getting away without a conditioner, etc. I will follow your instruction and try the wide tooth comb to see how it might work out. Thanks for the advice.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2015, 06:32 AM
LAPUSHKA, your avatar with the golden mask really stands out every time you make a comment. Very impressive! I had a very tangly day today because I only washed with shampoo and tried getting away without a conditioner, etc. I will follow your instruction and try the wide tooth comb to see how it might work out. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you! :D You can only try. I mean, it's what works for me. YMMV, but trying different things before settling on a routine makes sense. :)

schnibbles
May 2nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
So.. great thread! I was inspired this morning to mix it up a little and did not wet - detangle as I usually do.

I usually get out of the shower, wrap my head in a towel for about 15 minutes or so and then begin the slow process of wide tooth combing it all out. :headache: Today, I squeezed as much water out as I could post shower, bunned loosely, completed all my after shower activities (by now, hair is beginning to drip everywhere again) and when I un-bunned it, it wasn't snarly at all. I gently finger combed my leave-in (currently Shea Moisture Curl + Style Milk) and left it alone. I did get a small hairball of sheds but it seemed like less than what I'm used to.

Usually wash day is a frizzy, exploding hair day until it calms down. My hair is nearly dry already and isn't frizzy.. in fact, I'm really, really happy with it!
I think maybe I'm onto something here, thanks to this thread! :heart:

Lightbulb7Seven
May 2nd, 2015, 10:33 AM
Your hair is so beautiful, all of you! Thank you for sharing your tips. I have always wondered about wet/dry detangling. I know that there can be some breakage when detangling wet, but usually I try to use a wide toothed comb to get as many tangles out gently after washing or do my best to detangle before I wash so there's less to do afterward. I blow dry also three times out of four because it gives my head of hair a lot of body. It also seems to help me detangle.

Vanilla
May 2nd, 2015, 01:42 PM
I am so thrilled that this thread has been helpful to so many people. I am also adding oil + honey masks once a week to keep the moisture level up in my hair.

gwenalyn
May 2nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
I do this too. It does not take a few days for me; it takes a few weeks sometimes more, but it is worth the time because my hair still gains length and I am reducing damage, which allows for my hair to be healthier, shinier and smoother.

I just tried an S&D for the first time and it's so. hard. And my hands hurt because I was gripping the locks of hair so tightly trying to keep track of the ends. If you're doing it over the course of a few weeks, how do you keep track of what you've already looked at and what you haven't done yet?

schnibbles
May 2nd, 2015, 03:57 PM
I am so thrilled that this thread has been helpful to so many people. I am also adding oil + honey masks once a week to keep the moisture level up in my hair.

I've always detanged wet. I honestly thought I was going to have a rat's nest snarled mess if I waited... but it wasn't bad at all. :bigeyes:
I'm going to hopefully try to re-create the magic at my next wash. Learn something new everyday I guess, huh? :sun:

@ gwenalyn, I'm not much help .... I'm horrible at s +d. I literally cut the meaty part of my middle finger (deep too) one time. :nono: I'm dangerous with sharp objects. :crazyq: Don't be like me. lol

Vanilla
May 2nd, 2015, 04:09 PM
I just tried an S&D for the first time and it's so. hard. And my hands hurt because I was gripping the locks of hair so tightly trying to keep track of the ends. If you're doing it over the course of a few weeks, how do you keep track of what you've already looked at and what you haven't done yet?

I go through all of my hair each time I do S&D. I separate it into about 4 different sections. Top half, left side, bottom half, right side etc. then I sit next to a sunny window and twirl the sections and start snipping. Twirling helps to separate out the splits from healthy hair. I also cut ends that have extreme bends.

meteor
May 2nd, 2015, 04:25 PM
I've always detanged wet. I honestly thought I was going to have a rat's nest snarled mess if I waited... but it wasn't bad at all. :bigeyes

I have the exact same thing going on, too. And I see we have the same hair type. :hifive: I've always heard that straight(-ish) hair should be detangled when dry, but I didn't know that it would apply to me, until I ran into situations when I needed to leave home with wet, undetangled hair in a messy bun and didn't get a chance to comb it until the next day. Whenever I finally found time to detangle it (dry), I was shocked to find that it was easy to do. :bigeyes:
As my hair is drying it looks like I *need* to immediately attack it with fingers, combs, brushes to prevent a massive dreadlock happening... but if I hold off for a few hours or even a day and night and detangle only when fully dry, I lose a lot less hair and a lot less time on combing, too! Win-win! :happydance:

lapushka
May 3rd, 2015, 11:57 AM
Meteor, it's the exact opposite for me. But I use so much conditioner, that it is easy to detangle wet. No hiccups, no tangles, no knots; comb just glides on through. Isn't the amount of moisture one uses key here as well, I wonder?

gwenalyn
May 3rd, 2015, 04:56 PM
I go through all of my hair each time I do S&D. I separate it into about 4 different sections. Top half, left side, bottom half, right side etc. then I sit next to a sunny window and twirl the sections and start snipping. Twirling helps to separate out the splits from healthy hair. I also cut ends that have extreme bends.

I did the twirl thing, in much smaller sections, and never found any splits along the length that way. My hair is pretty resilient, so my main concern would be splits at the hemline, where my hair has been through a perm and three bleachings. How do you S&D the ends? There were two problems: one, finding the splits in the first place, and two, maneuvering the scissors and the split from the rest of the healthy ends so that I could snip off just the split hair.

I only found 5 splits anyway, so S&D is probably not time-efficient for me. I may just give up on it.

LauraLongLocks
May 3rd, 2015, 05:28 PM
I don't create very many, if any, tangles when washing, so I detangle before I wash, and basically keep it untangled throughout the whole process until it is dry again. My hair is rarely tangled because I keep it under control at all times. That is, unless I decide to wear it down. Then I can pretty much count on some tangles.

Great to hear you have had so much success with keeping splits away. I am finding fewer splits now that I cut off the last of my layering. Those ends were rather brittle.

Vanilla
May 3rd, 2015, 05:33 PM
P
I did the twirl thing, in much smaller sections, and never found any splits along the length that way. My hair is pretty resilient, so my main concern would be splits at the hemline, where my hair has been through a perm and three bleachings. How do you S&D the ends? There were two problems: one, finding the splits in the first place, and two, maneuvering the scissors and the split from the rest of the healthy ends so that I could snip off just the split hair.

I only found 5 splits anyway, so S&D is probably not time-efficient for me. I may just give up on it.

I do the same thing with the ends and hemline. Twirl and then fan out the small sections between my thumb and middle finger. I use my pointer finger on the same hand to separate the strands more fully.

meteor
May 3rd, 2015, 06:56 PM
Meteor, it's the exact opposite for me. But I use so much conditioner, that it is easy to detangle wet. No hiccups, no tangles, no knots; comb just glides on through. Isn't the amount of moisture one uses key here as well, I wonder?

Oh yes, moisture is key. And I do use at least 10 times as much conditioner as shampoo and always oil quite heavily. :agree: But when my hair is wet, individual hair strands stick to each other so the detangled hair is sticky enough to clump together again. I just don't want to detangle more than I need to, so waiting till fully (or almost fully) dry ensures that I only detangle once that day and don't have as many tangles. Saves me time and effort. ;) I'd probably not comb outside the shower if I had curly hair though, for example. I think it's very hairtype-dependent and a very YMMV kind of thing. :)

Vanilla
May 3rd, 2015, 07:03 PM
Oh yes, moisture is key. And I do use at least 10 times as much conditioner as shampoo and always oil quite heavily. :agree: But when my hair is wet, individual hair strands stick to each other so the detangled hair is sticky enough to clump together again. I just don't want to detangle more than I need to, so waiting till fully (or almost fully) dry ensures that I only detangle once that day and don't have as many tangles. Saves me time and effort. ;) I'd probably not comb outside the shower if I had curly hair though, for example. I think it's very hairtype-dependent and a very YMMV kind of thing. :)

This, totally agree.

I would have to use a combination of conditoner and a ton of oil to get my hair to detangle well when wet. And if I do use that much, my hair dries to a lank, stringy and overall gross texture.