PDA

View Full Version : Turbie twist hack for longer hair!

lapushka
April 23rd, 2015, 01:24 PM
We all get there, to the point where our turbie twist no longer fits our hair.

Solution.

Old beach towel.

Fold it in half lengthwise, and sew the top end shut (inside out, but no need to explain that). No need to bother with the bottom end, as you can twist that and throw it up over your head easily.

Tadaa.

I just started using mine last weekend and it was awesome to have my hair fit a towel again. :happydance:

meteor
April 23rd, 2015, 01:39 PM
Great tip! :D

For those of us who can't use towels (e.g. if they are too rough or heavy or frizz-inducing), you can sew together 2 extra-large soft cotton T-shirts by the bottom and use the "neck" of the T-shirt for holding onto your scalp. I think that Torrinpaige does that, too?

Personally, towels are way too heavy for me at this point, I now notice that I can't put my hair up when it's wet or my scalp pulls like crazy. So I just squeeze out as much water as possible with hands and cotton T-shirts and then let it drip-dry close to a heater/fan until the hair is light enough to be damp-bunned.

KittyBird
April 23rd, 2015, 01:51 PM
This is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJrQyV60Huo)also a good way to use a turbie twist if you have super long hair. Mine isn't super long, but this is how I used mine at tbl+, and I still do it like that. :)

lapushka
April 23rd, 2015, 02:22 PM
This is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJrQyV60Huo)also a good way to use a turbie twist if you have super long hair. Mine isn't super long, but this is how I used mine at tbl+, and I still do it like that. :)

I found that it doesn't squeeze nearly as much wetness out anymore when folding the hair inside the towel too much. Too bad. :( I was happy with my beach towel, though.

And for those of us who like to mess around with fabrics, you could even use a long piece of microfiber for it.

Garnetgem
January 20th, 2016, 02:05 PM
When my Turbie twist got too small for my hair i simply used a baby towel the type that has a little hood on it which fits to back of the head then twist it on works a treat! :)

lapushka
January 20th, 2016, 03:03 PM
When my Turbie twist got too small for my hair i simply used a baby towel the type that has a little hood on it which fits to back of the head then twist it on works a treat! :)

Mine are even shorter than my "regular" microfiber turbies - so how does that work? Are your babytowels big?

Garnetgem
January 20th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Mine are even shorter than my "regular" microfiber turbies - so how does that work? Are your babytowels big?

Yes they are big baby towels i should think perhaps toddler sized ones.

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Interesting idea! Would be nice not to soak the back of my shirt for a change ;) Something else on my list to try...

lapushka
February 5th, 2018, 05:08 AM
My mom got me 2 microfiber "beach length" sport towels from Aldi and folded them in half, sewed one half shut. She did this just last year. And I now have 2 giant microfiber turbie towels. They are *wonderful*. I now have 4. 2 regular terry cloth ones, and 2 microfiber ones.

I recommend this hack to anyone, and wanted to bump this up!

I especially love my microfiber ones. They compact to nothing and are really absorbent!

spidermom
February 5th, 2018, 07:18 AM
I like flannel pillowcases.

lapushka
February 5th, 2018, 07:25 AM
I like flannel pillowcases.

I have t-shirts sewn shut at the bottom too, and that's another great idea. :flower:

PixieP
February 5th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I’ve done this a couple of times, it works well:

https://youtu.be/ST2lpab22Ig

I actually sort of combine this with the method kittybird posted, just that I collect my hair from the front and twist it back, since I wash upside down 98% of the time.

Pumpkin3826
February 21st, 2018, 08:00 AM
I have this problem as well!! I was wondering if they make different length turbies? My ends have dangled out for about 6+ months now. What I do is while I am leaning over and putting the turbie on my head, I take the ends and just roll them, not tight. I wrap it around all my fingers to make a bit of a loop then I tuck it into the end of the turbie. It seems to work for me unless my hair is being naughty and wont stay rolled. I love the twisty turbie because it is so light and stay on while your hair dry's, but I wish we could get some with longer tails for the hair!

lapushka
February 21st, 2018, 09:37 AM
I have this problem as well!! I was wondering if they make different length turbies? My ends have dangled out for about 6+ months now. What I do is while I am leaning over and putting the turbie on my head, I take the ends and just roll them, not tight. I wrap it around all my fingers to make a bit of a loop then I tuck it into the end of the turbie. It seems to work for me unless my hair is being naughty and wont stay rolled. I love the twisty turbie because it is so light and stay on while your hair dry's, but I wish we could get some with longer tails for the hair!

No they don't. There used to be someone on Etsy that did longer ones, but not anymore, to my knowledge.

But the bathtowel-hack is easy enough to do; if you want to read the first post. :o

PumpkinSpiceGrl
November 13th, 2019, 01:15 PM
My hair just got to the point where I needed to stop using my tshirts and I'm using some of my husbands old tshirts. Mens just seem to be cut longer. But I love the tip about sewing two tshirts together. I might do that with some old (read: too small) tshirts so the neck hole/head hole wont be quite so loose.

lapushka
June 8th, 2021, 04:32 AM
They have them back in my Aldi as of next week. Just wanting to let the Belgian girls & guys here know!

These are them (smooth canvas, no "loops" in the cloth).
https://www.aldi.be/nl/onze-aanbiedingen/aanbiedingen-16-06/microvezelhanddoek-1761-1-0.article.html

And that's the "kind" you want. Mostly you find these in a sports towel section or fitness section of a store.

It says they are fast drying, and... kind of true!

ETA/ Unsure whether or not I could post the link? :hmm: I don't want to spam stuff on here, but just wanting to help those looking for this type of towel, not being able to find it. :)

MusicalSpoons
June 8th, 2021, 09:02 AM
I have a long microfibre towel which I wrap around my hair as a tube, then if I need it out the way wrap the tube around my head like a coronet braid and tuck the end in. Microfibre is light enough to do that (whereas even jersey cotton wasn't).

lapushka
June 8th, 2021, 12:23 PM
I have a long microfibre towel which I wrap around my hair as a tube, then if I need it out the way wrap the tube around my head like a coronet braid and tuck the end in. Microfibre is light enough to do that (whereas even jersey cotton wasn't).

The t-shirt "towels" are kind of nice on short hair, but long? They get so heavy! :(

neko_kawaii
June 8th, 2021, 12:40 PM

I have a section of an old “T-shirt” bed sheet that I use like this. It is 30 inches wide and 55 inches long and weighs about the same as a T-shirt. Wrapped up like a coronet braid it is super comfy. I can also fold it in half and use it to “ploop” if going for wave definition.

JasminxCat
June 8th, 2021, 04:47 PM
When my hair way too long for my turtbie, I would fold my hair in half and tuck it through as I twisted it up. Now it's just the perfect length to fit it all inside, until a few more months again

0xalis
June 8th, 2021, 05:30 PM
I love this! :D
I don't think I'll even need to use this trick though- lately I've just been very gently squeezing the excess water out of my hair with my microfiber turbie and then letting it airdry the rest of the way.
It still helps a lot, so much better than trying to air dry from soaked, and still more gentle than a normal towel!

Belgrade Beauty
June 9th, 2021, 05:03 AM
My hair outgrew my tubbie. I asked my mom to make me another one, bigger, turns out she can't, without ruining the one I have. Also, she asked why don't you fold your hair in half. And I didn't know what to say to that.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 9th, 2021, 07:32 AM
My hair outgrew my tubbie. I asked my mom to make me another one, bigger, turns out she can't, without ruining the one I have. Also, she asked why don't you fold your hair in half. And I didn't know what to say to that.

I fold my hair in thirds to fit in mine.

Cg
June 9th, 2021, 07:42 AM

I wrap the length around one hand and shove all that into the end of the turbie.

Belgrade Beauty
June 9th, 2021, 09:02 AM
I fold my hair in thirds to fit in mine.

I wrap the length around one hand and shove all that into the end of the turbie.

So it's not going to damage or break my hair? I read that hair is most fragile when it's wet, and knowing my fine strands and how easy they break, I thought I should never ever do that.

lapushka
June 9th, 2021, 09:39 AM
Myself? I tried folding, but it takes oodles of time to get part-way dry. I love it more "spaced out" as it were? Mind you, I do wear my towel for about 30 minutes, yeah 25-45 give or take, and it gets it nice and damp/dry! With folding, it just stayed wet for so much longer!

Yeah, before this "trick", I also folded into a regular turbie. :)

Cg
June 9th, 2021, 12:43 PM
So it's not going to damage or break my hair? I read that hair is most fragile when it's wet, and knowing my fine strands and how easy they break, I thought I should never ever do that.

I have superbabyfine hair and it doesn't complain. Of course I'm careful, but certainly not obsessive.

lapushka
June 9th, 2021, 01:27 PM
I have superbabyfine hair and it doesn't complain. Of course I'm careful, but certainly not obsessive.

Only person I know doesn't use a microfiber towel, just a threadbare (not see through though) old towel, is my mom. Her hair is not only fine, but it is also i, so thin, and you can't have a heavier towel than the hair that's on her head. She also doesn't keep it on for very long, a mere 5 minutes. She immediately combs out with a wide tooth comb, applies a bit of styling product and roller sets. Her hair can't be too dry from the towel to put on the rollers.

Weemomma
June 9th, 2021, 01:28 PM
My mom got me 2 microfiber "beach length" sport towels from Aldi and folded them in half, sewed one half shut. She did this just last year. And I now have 2 giant microfiber turbie towels. They are *wonderful*. I now have 4. 2 regular terry cloth ones, and 2 microfiber ones.

I recommend this hack to anyone, and wanted to bump this up!

I especially love my microfiber ones. They compact to nothing and are really absorbent!

This is what I did to 2 of my microfiber as well. It works

Sarahlabyrinth
June 10th, 2021, 12:53 AM

I've never had any trouble with folding my fine (and probably fragile) hair. After all, It's not tightly squished up, and it's then held in the towel without moving until you take the towel of,, so it's not as if it's rubbing around against anything or having friction. It's just like a secure hug for your hair :)

Belgrade Beauty
June 10th, 2021, 02:19 AM

I've never had any trouble with folding my fine (and probably fragile) hair. After all, It's not tightly squished up, and it's then held in the towel without moving until you take the towel of,, so it's not as if it's rubbing around against anything or having friction. It's just like a secure hug for your hair :)

Oh that's fantastic, I've been in this 'what to do conundrum ' for months now.. One more question, when you put your tubbie on, does it pull slightly your front hairs?
I have the turban from Sephora, from the article on front page, it has a button and lasso. It's awesome, but when I put my hair in, twist and go for securing, it pulling my front hairs. If I untwist a little, than my back hairs aren't all covered ,it's loose and doesn't soak well the back part of my hair...

lapushka
June 10th, 2021, 05:54 AM
This is what I did to 2 of my microfiber as well. It works

I am so glad! :D It's such a simple solution too, isn't it?

Cg
June 10th, 2021, 09:36 AM
Only person I know doesn't use a microfiber towel, just a threadbare (not see through though) old towel, is my mom. Her hair is not only fine, but it is also i, so thin, and you can't have a heavier towel than the hair that's on her head. She also doesn't keep it on for very long, a mere 5 minutes. She immediately combs out with a wide tooth comb, applies a bit of styling product and roller sets. Her hair can't be too dry from the towel to put on the rollers.

I never thought about this, but perhaps the fineness of my hair is why I don't leave my towels on more than a few minutes. I just air dry afterward, no styling, but early on I discovered that brief towel use was optimal.

lapushka
June 10th, 2021, 12:26 PM
I never thought about this, but perhaps the fineness of my hair is why I don't leave my towels on more than a few minutes. I just air dry afterward, no styling, but early on I discovered that brief towel use was optimal.

Yeah, there might actually be something to that! If my mom leaves the towel on for more than 5 minutes, there's dry "fluff" under there. And she then needs to re-wet with a fine-tooth comb, each section, for the rollers.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 11th, 2021, 02:32 AM
Oh that's fantastic, I've been in this 'what to do conundrum ' for months now.. One more question, when you put your tubbie on, does it pull slightly your front hairs?
I have the turban from Sephora, from the article on front page, it has a button and lasso. It's awesome, but when I put my hair in, twist and go for securing, it pulling my front hairs. If I untwist a little, than my back hairs aren't all covered ,it's loose and doesn't soak well the back part of my hair...

I hadn't noticed, but even if it does, I don't mind it. It does feel heavy on my head, being full of wet hair anyway, so it is what it is.

lapushka
November 9th, 2021, 11:40 AM
The towel that I have is *exactly* what this man is showing in the video (very start of):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSAqKsDGPx4&list=WL&index=4

It is a smooth surface, that big, towel, that you just fold in half lengthwise, sew shut on the one side, tadaa.

GoatLady
December 10th, 2022, 06:37 AM
What a great hack and very timely as I am fast outgrowing my microfiber turban. I was browsing Amazon and found these camping towels (https://www.amazon.com/4Monster-Camping-Absorbent-Microfiber-Backpack/dp/B07WJK6JCJ/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_1/135-0061932-4980805?pd_rd_w=iEHV1&content-id=amzn1.sym.7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_p=7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_r=87NRCTHNZTYB3ZQ7CMK7&pd_rd_wg=UGtjR&pd_rd_r=5a02a65e-7633-40ab-a560-5e1a082354cd&pd_rd_i=B07WD89G1R&th=1&psc=1) that are available in various sizes. But I am thinking this towel (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086W2Y9TV/?coliid=IUY343A7J21FZ&colid=2VMSKNKNE3SN8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) will be fine for my WL hair, and it's a 2-pack.