PDA

View Full Version : I think shampoo gets a bad rap here....

Checkers
October 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
because I just used my Nexxus shampoo to do a load of whites and it really turned out well. No better than my regular detergent, but no worse. It's a really big Costco bottle that has been sitting unused. I made the mistake of using it in the shower the other day because my hair was feeling so, grimey. Well I ended up with a head full of straw. It was so gross, frizzy and dry as a bone. So I thought if it can strip my hair so badly maybe I can clean with it rather than just throw it away. I soaked some dishes in my sink that I'd let get dry with last night's dinner using the shampoo and it cleaned better than my usual dish soap. I ran out of d/w detergent laundry detergent and dish soap all at the same time so while I'm figuring out some good natural, homemade cleaning supplies I think I'll try to use this up. I did try it in the dishwasher and it didn't clean as well d/w detergent, but then it doesn't have bleach. So I figure if I the shampoo away it will end up in the environment anyway, so I'm going to try to find more uses for it. :pumpkin:

Gumball
October 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Haha. That's great. I would have never thought about using shampoo in those ways. Good idea to try to find uses for it instead of tossing it out! I think it's funny that it cleaned better than your regular dish soap. Such is the power of shampoo!

hennabrain
October 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
i've used shampoo on "fine washables" before. never tried putting it in the less-fine laundry, though. :)

burns_erin
October 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
It also works well as a prewash for grease stains, both the food and the mechanic variety. Just dilute some in a spray bottle and spray the stain from the inside out (opposite of the way the grease was applied).

LeaM07
October 2nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Shampoo works great as a toilet bowl cleaner, also. :)

hennared
October 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Heh, you guys are brilliant! More uses for shampoo I don't like. hey, isn't this the same place where I got the shaving with conditioner idea from :)

Checkers
October 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ha! I'm going to use all of those. This is a BIG bottle. I plan on re-using the bottle after the shampoo is gone. It has a really nice pump on it, not a squeeze bottle.

Tap Dancer
October 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
My hair always looks and feels the same whether I CO or shampoo and condition.

1nuitblanche
October 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread makes me so happy! Lately, I've been looking into trying new shampoos (and conditioners), and I have a few here that I haven't tried yet. But since I also go through conditioner way faster than shampoo, I was thinking I'd have a lot of mediocre shampoo to get through later, once I found what worked best for my hair... So I was wondering how weird it would be to use as dish soap and laundry detergent (both of which I am running low on). Thanks to you great folks at LHC, I feel greatly encouraged!

Tapioca
October 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Makes a nice shave cream, too.

wintersun99
October 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM

Tressie
October 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
I have found myself in the shower and the soap dish empty and used the shampoo as body wash too.........no irritation. And as Tapioca stated, I have shaved with poo too! Hey I made a rhyme! My Bad!

Speckla
October 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Bathroom cleaner gives my husband a headache so I use Suave's Clarifying shampoo to clean the tub and it works great! :)
________
Vaporizer review (http://twitter.com/vaporizer)

Checkers
October 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
I found more shampoo and conditioner that I have kept for desperate times. You know the ones, they promised to stop frizz and enhance curl. More detergent for my cleaning supplies, and I also shave with the unwanted conditioners. Any other use for conditioner? I mean the unnatural kinds, I still use my organic conditioner Fabric softener? Squirting the foul chemicals at a home invader?

Delila
October 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
This thread is great fun, LOL!

I do think it's not a great idea to use foamy detergents in the dishwasher though, I don't think they're designed for it.

Arctic_Mama
October 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
You guys are too funny. I've used it to shave my legs before, it worked great and is much cheaper than shaving cream but lathers better than the soap I use. Oh my husband will use it, he's a greaseball and refuses to entertain the idea of anything less than head scouring every single day!

Tapioca
October 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Any conditioners that don't work on me end up on my daughter's hair. I'm doing CO with her, and I've yet to find one that doesn't make her hair fabulous. ::Sigh:: It is nice, though. She has exactly between my hair and daddy's. Mine is wavy, light-colored and thick, DH's is wavy, dark-colored (almost black) and thick, and hers is wavy, chocolate-colored, and thick. Texture-wise, it's almost the same as mine (except less of it, since she has a smaller head), so I know how to treat it.

Nes
October 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Haha I also use it for shaving my legs - it works really well and so much cheaper than the shave gel I used to use. Sometimes I use it as bodywash also and it seems quite gentle.

Nes x

sky
October 3rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
:lol:!!!!!

That's using your head!

sky

Kayleena
October 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Quote from Checkers: "...Any other use for conditioner? I mean the unnatural kinds, I still use my organic conditioner Fabric softener? Squirting the foul chemicals at a home invader?"

:rollin:

Okay, I’ll add my idea, even though it’s kind of close to the body wash idea. I have used all of the following as a *bubble bath*: shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, liquid soap, hand-dishwashing liquid, and lotion. It’s part of my system; I like to rinse containers out as completely as possible before recycling or throwing them away, so when things that can safely come in contact with my skin are almost empty, they get rinsed out under the strong bath tub spray. If it can get foamy, I make it a bubble bath. I'm enjoying this thread! :bluesmile

ChloeDharma
October 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I was talked into trying tesco's coconut shampoo by my long haired friend who said it was so good you don't need conditioner....lets just say that experiment was a complete disaster as my hair hates shampoo at the best of times....so now it sits by the bathroom sink and gets used as a handwash. I've also used shampoo in place of shower gel when i run out and really liked it.
I've not tried deforesting my legs with it yet though as i usually use conditioner....but i might try it next time.
Actually, would a "gentle" shampoo be good for handwashing wool?

meganb990
October 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
What great ideas everyone has for using shampoo, I would have never thought to wash dishes with it or clothes. I agree with many here my hair hates shampoo as well.

Vitalai
October 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
This thread is brilliant! :D I've always said that Pantene smells like laundry detergent. When I run out of body wash, I use shampoo for my body.

Lamb
October 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
My dad had a friend who wouldn't wash his car with anything but a shampoo called WU2, one of the oldest brands on the Hungarian market. I think it must have been around 98% pure, uncontaminated SLS, and came in 1 l bottles, cheap as dirt.

darkwaves
October 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Great thread!

gdimoonbeam
October 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
This is a very helpful thread http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_13.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZKxdm098MRUS) . I just went CO and am completely bowled over how well it works but I didn't have an idea what to do with the all the shampoo. My best friend wants to go CO but she just bought a very large bottle of shampoo and keeps complaining she has to use it all before starting.

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I too use it to clean the tub! I'll have to try it in the toilet!