PDA

View Full Version : Best brush to use

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
What is your favorite kind of brush? I hate my paddle brush. It makes me hair all staticy and it is very rough on my hair. I have heard that wooden brushes are good as all well boar hair brushes. I have a board hair brush but my hair is so thick it doesn't do well at getting out tangles. Anyone have suggestions?

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 01:01 PM
Ahhh sorry I meant to say BRUSH.... I don't see an edit button, so sorry for the typos :( :(

meteor
April 22nd, 2015, 01:05 PM
What is your favorite kind of brush? I hate my paddle brush. It makes me hair all staticy and it is very rough on my hair. I have heard that wooden brushes are good as all well boar hair brushes. I have a board hair brush but my hair is so thick it doesn't do well at getting out tangles. Anyone have suggestions?

I haven't tried a brush that worked well for me yet. But I LOVE a wide-tooth comb or a pick - that's all I need for detangling & styling.

Generally speaking, brushes are not meant to be used for detangling (combs and rakes are), but rather for smoothing down, polishing hair, stimulating scalp, spreading oils... There are some exceptions like the Wet Brush or the Tangle Teezer, and many people use them successfully even for detangling.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
BBB are ideal for straight hair. But like meteor said, brushes generally aren't for detangling purposes, except the TT and wet brush. My hair is detangled from bottom to top with a wide tooth comb, then brushed through (bottom to top) with a TT. I love my TT and have had that brush for years. It has replaced my BBB and wooden bristle brush (although I do love that one as well).

Just make sure your brushes don't have ball-tips on the ends.

Anje
April 22nd, 2015, 02:45 PM
I'm another Tangle Teezer addict. It isn't the only thing I use on my hair (I've got a Denman that occasionally gets used but is way more staticy, and some wood combs), but it's what I usually reach for. It also happens to be my cat's favorite brush, to the point where he'll grab my hand when I'm brushing my hair, trying to get the TT so he can scrub his cheeks on it.

Lolino
April 22nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Personally I can't stand the Tangle Teezer. My friend let me try hers and I hate the feeling of it on my scalp and in my hair shudder: . No idea why! She loves it though.

I have a so-called Denman porcupine brush, which is boar bristle with a longer stiff nylon bristle in the middle of each tuft. A pure bbb makes my hair crazy static, and I get it less with this one, so I like it, also the feeling of it. I trimmed the nylon bristles a little though, because they were crazy long, so the boar bristle didn't even touch my hair. Now it's perfect for me!

I also have a body shop wood comb that I use more often for almost everything.

pixiepaws
April 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
I like the Tangle teezer but I like my Sibel brush more its like a tangle teezer but with a handle . These are the only type of brushes I can use. They are the only brushes that get though my hair without pain. I never use a comb. I just brush my hair before I wash it.

MINAKO
April 22nd, 2015, 03:29 PM
http://www.s-heart-s.net/products/scalp_brush_world-long.html

This is the only brush i am currently using. It pretty much does everything, cleanses the scalp on wet hair, brushes gently through predetangled hair leaving it very smooth and shiny, can be used to blowdry. I like it much better then a Denman or the TT.

cat11
April 22nd, 2015, 05:31 PM

This is the only brush i am currently using. It pretty much does everything, cleanses the scalp on wet hair, brushes gently through predetangled hair leaving it very smooth and shiny, can be used to blowdry. I like it much better then a Denman or the TT.

This looks cool!! I cant tell from the picture what the bristles are made of though.

I have a wooden brush that I LOVE because it gives no static and leaves my detangled already hair smooth, but I also have a TT. Unfortunately my TT has gotten all this lint in it that won't come out with water and I need to figure out how to clean it....

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 05:37 PM

I can not find if they ship to America.

yahirwaO.o
April 22nd, 2015, 06:20 PM

That brush looks so cool indeed, Id love to have one.

As everybody said, regular brushes are not meant to be for detangling purposes, it has to be more with smoothing and spreading hair oils.

I bought a regular wooden brush in my local area, but somehow Im more happy wth end ball tips, so I exchange it to a friend for the Body Shop Bamboo Pin Brush. ... I love it, some people have mixed reactions, like I said I use for smoothing my hair, makes it incredibly glossy and it feels like a nice massage on my scalp in combination with a drop of jojoba oil and my own rosemary spray

I also have a BBB and makes hair mirror glass shiny, but mine its pretty old and its not making its job properly.

And yeah for detangling a wide tooth comb and- or finger combing are best suited. Personally I make a combination of all this methods and my hair looks very nice! :o

Mammasaurusrex
April 22nd, 2015, 06:24 PM
I suggest widu brushes. You can find them at widu.com =] They also have a wide toothed comb that I love.

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the tips ladies <3

MINAKO
April 22nd, 2015, 06:52 PM
This looks cool!! I cant tell from the picture what the bristles are made of though.

I have a wooden brush that I LOVE because it gives no static and leaves my detangled already hair smooth, but I also have a TT. Unfortunately my TT has gotten all this lint in it that won't come out with water and I need to figure out how to clean it....

The bristles are nylon, but not leaving my hair staticy, also the balls dont catch, they are super small nut perfectly rounded, definitely some high tech ish. It very popular in Japan, given the common hair type and preference for super clean fluffy hair i can understand how it gets rave reviews. It does a great job at cleaning and massaging the scalp without scratching it at all. I bought mine off ebay, but i do remember seeing it online elsewhere. Will check if i can find the link.

ETA: I cant find the US store, maybe they took it down. The travel size is still available on amazon http://www.amazon.com/S-HEART-S-Scalp-Brush-Mini/dp/B00K91L630/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1429750542&sr=1-1

The brush head is basically the same but i would personally not do well with a short handle, so i think ebay or rakuten are the better options.

gwenalyn
April 22nd, 2015, 07:37 PM
That brush looks so cool indeed, Id love to have one.

As everybody said, regular brushes are not meant to be for detangling purposes, it has to be more with smoothing and spreading hair oils.

I bought a regular wooden brush in my local area, but somehow Im more happy wth end ball tips, so I exchange it to a friend for the Body Shop Bamboo Pin Brush. ... I love it, some people have mixed reactions, like I said I use for smoothing my hair, makes it incredibly glossy and it feels like a nice massage on my scalp in combination with a drop of jojoba oil and my own rosemary spray

I also have a BBB and makes hair mirror glass shiny, but mine its pretty old and its not making its job properly.

And yeah for detangling a wide tooth comb and- or finger combing are best suited. Personally I make a combination of all this methods and my hair looks very nice! :o

We have the same(ish) hairtype and I agree, I prefer the ball-end tips. I just have a regular ol' paddle brush, and I've been using it for years. I've tried wide-toothed combs & boar bristle brushes, but somehow the paddle brush is what I come back to. I don't use it for detangling, though, just for styling.

Quasiquixotic
April 22nd, 2015, 08:01 PM
Minako, I found it on eBay. Do you use it in the shower? I'm intrigued by this. Tell me more.

Nadine <3
April 22nd, 2015, 08:04 PM
I have BBB, but I'm nt crazy about it. It's okay for smoothing updos, but I find they're rough on my fine hair. I have the wooden body shop comb and I love it, I use it to detangle my dry hair.

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 08:31 PM
Oh I never thought to look at ebay! I'll take a look. Thanks Minako <3

MINAKO
April 22nd, 2015, 08:40 PM
Minako, I found it on eBay. Do you use it in the shower? I'm intrigued by this. Tell me more.

Yes i mostly use it in the shower to clean my scalp, but also randomly during the week after detangling. I was hesitant wether to buy it or not because of the price, but i wouldnt want to miss it now. I have dry scalp and usually it takes me a while to remove all the flakes and would still find them, but the brush gets the job do e really well. I opened a thread on this, but it died fast. I would like to know how it does on other hairtypes.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129501

ETA: Dah, i posted the link to the US site in the other thread http://s-heart-s.com/product-category/scalp-brush/

Crystawni
April 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
I love my light, gentle, round-tipped bamboo brush (https://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=261871&name=woolworths-select-hair-brush-pad-bamboo). It's nice and strong, massages beautifully, and has a lot of give without rip, although I use a Lady Jayne detangling comb beforehand. :p For a better idea, it's is very much like these (http://www.biome.com.au/body-brushing/7214-bamboo-hair-brush-large.html). (Eco/Green info. here. (http://www.mieco.com.au/bamboo-hairbrushes))

I also occasionally use a TT for final smoothening, and had to get more for the cats (yup, they groom themselves with it, especially their mooshes, if I'm not quick enough), and the puplette (a Mulshipoo).

dreamer152
April 22nd, 2015, 09:58 PM
All of my brushes leave me with static. I've been using a wide toothed comb lately in the shower to comb my conditioner through, making it easier to comb it out afterwards. I've seen the TT a few times, I'm glad to hear good reviews on it, I've been wanting to try it out but hesitant.

copperlites
April 22nd, 2015, 10:58 PM
My husband bought me this brush for my birthday http://www.amazon.com/Macadamia-Natural-Oil-Nylon-Paddle/dp/B006WEHHHM . At first I was disappointed as I wanted 100 per cent boar bristle and was worried about the ball tip nylon pins. However, I absolutely love it. It smoothest my hair and spreads oils beautifully and really massages the scalp well. I can't see a seam where the balls join the nylon pins so I hope hair is not snagging... Which I assume is the issue with ball tips?

truepeacenik
April 23rd, 2015, 10:23 AM

Try conditioner. I used my TT to detangle in shower (note, don't do that often) and it was sparkling...well dust and lint free afterward.

Lyv
April 23rd, 2015, 10:34 AM
I'm all about my tangle teezer. I'm way too lazy to take the time to detangle and then brush so I just use that and I'm good to go.

mzlbcmami
April 23rd, 2015, 11:47 AM
Wow, ah so many different opinions. Overwhelming lol :tmi: I like all the info though...going to see what works best for my hair and I. ^_^

dreamer152
April 23rd, 2015, 05:12 PM
Where do you all suggest getting a BBB?

Popsicle
April 23rd, 2015, 05:19 PM
Fuller Brush online has some very good ones made of beach wood. :blossom:

mzlbcmami
April 29th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Mine is from whole foods lol

ChloeDharma
April 29th, 2015, 12:24 PM
For detangling I use a wooden wide tooth comb, I have a bamboo paddle brush that I like after detangling but to get it really loosened up before using a BBB. The BBB I use for bent over brushing and smoothing my hair for updo's. The exception to this is my fine toothed horn comb that I use when my hair is heavily oiled to run over my scalp and comb before bunning my oiled hair.

It all sounds very involved but it's not really, plus I find brushing sessions to be a very nice morning and before bed ritual.