PDA

View Full Version : No touching!

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
Do random people ever come up and just touch your hair? Do you like it when they do it or does it annoy you. Kind of an invasion of space in my opinion, however it is nice to get attention for how pretty your hair is. What do you think? :)

LadyLorien
April 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
My friends always touch my hair, I don't really mind as long as they're gentle. I'm assuming that people are more tempted to touch hair once it's past TBL or Classic length-as soon as hair is that long, people seem to forget that it's attached to your head and see it more as an accessory. My sister, on the other hand, doesn't even like me to touch her hair :shrug: I guess it just varies from person to person. :)

lapushka
April 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
"Attention" has to be different from "touching". Surely. I don't let anyone touch my hair, and they won't have a chance to. I don't see many people, for one, and two, it's always up in a bun anyway.

texangrrl
April 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
I have a select few friends that like to touch my hair, but I would not allow anyone I'm not close to do the same thing.

spidermom
April 22nd, 2015, 02:48 PM
I usually don't care. I'm sure there are exceptions.

If you put something like strangers touching your hair in the search engine, it will bring up about 10000 other threads for your reading pleasure.

cat11
April 22nd, 2015, 05:38 PM
^Yeah. It's very common.

I have people do this when I wear my hair down because it's curly and thick. People think that means they should pick it up and drop it back down. I HATE this lol. I dont even touch my own hair when I wear it down because of frizz and stuff...

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 05:40 PM
Now if it were family/friends giving me friendly scalp massages...that'd be totally different. oooooh how i love scalp massages. ^_^

Auni
April 22nd, 2015, 05:45 PM
^Yeah. It's very common.

I have people do this when I wear my hair down because it's curly and thick. People think that means they should pick it up and drop it back down. I HATE this lol. I dont even touch my own hair when I wear it down because of frizz and stuff...

I hear ya! Friends have always asked first, and I feel like such a snob when I say, "if you do, it could end up puffed out!" I think it's pretty sweet though when I get an elderly patient, usually women, that just reach up to touch a ringlet, and they do it so gently.:blossom:

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 06:10 PM
I hear ya! Friends have always asked first, and I feel like such a snob when I say, "if you do, it could end up puffed out!" I think it's pretty sweet though when I get an elderly patient, usually women, that just reach up to touch a ringlet, and they do it so gently.:blossom:

Your hair is beautiful!!!

Nadine <3
April 22nd, 2015, 08:30 PM
I have never had any random stranger touch my hair, but I would probably smack their hand away. The only 2 people who have permission to do that are my best friend and my boyfriend. Anyone else does it and I'm instantly pretty creeped out...

MINAKO
April 22nd, 2015, 09:07 PM
Anyone who knows me is aware that if they'd try i will sort of go like...

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/TwistedTale/Horror/TheGrudgeKayako2.jpg (http://s955.photobucket.com/user/TwistedTale/media/Horror/TheGrudgeKayako2.jpg.html)

and i probably give off that vibe to strangers as well :lol:

Nadine <3
April 22nd, 2015, 09:09 PM

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/TwistedTale/Horror/TheGrudgeKayako2.jpg (http://s955.photobucket.com/user/TwistedTale/media/Horror/TheGrudgeKayako2.jpg.html)

:agape: That is terrifying! Haha!

woodswanderer
April 22nd, 2015, 09:12 PM
People definitely touch my hair. I do think it is kinda awkward when adults do it, but I don't usually get bothered much.

Begemot
April 22nd, 2015, 09:13 PM
MINAKO :laugh: Nope, I don't like people/strangers touching me and they pretty much never do so I guess I give the "do not touch me" vibe too.

dreamer152
April 22nd, 2015, 10:01 PM
If I know who it is I don't mind them touching it. As long as I haven't curled it or put it up in a style. I hate when people jack with my hair if I've just styled it. I don't think I've ever had a random person try touching my hair, they have complimented me on it.

Auni, you have amazing hair! That's so sweet, I feel like most rules don't apply to elderly, they can do whatever they want they've earned it!

yahirwaO.o
April 22nd, 2015, 10:24 PM

LOL Minako count me in!!!! Being outdoors and dealing with some people I dont want to be stand so close (usually bus and subway) they can get those viebs from me.... and face!!! :taz::taz::taz:

Just sod off if a hand grabs my locks!!!!!

Popsicle
April 23rd, 2015, 01:06 AM
I think of my hair becoming germ infested if strangers reach out to touch my hair. However, there is a full pass for children and my husband to fondle my hair at will; for them I suspend all of my concerns about germs on their hands. :p

Illryeth
April 23rd, 2015, 02:10 AM
I admit that when I see someone with very beautiful hair I feel like touching it and asking them how they kept it!
But that is just like you said, an invasion of privacy, plus a bit creepy so I have never done it :D.

Dona
April 23rd, 2015, 02:20 AM
Touching after they've asked is ok. But I've had people pull my hair when I was out at a concert. That's just rude!

Carolyn
April 23rd, 2015, 08:40 AM
No I've never had a random stranger touch my hair. I wear it up most of the time now but even back in my early 20s when I wore it down all the time no stranger ever tried to touch it. I'm sure I don't look like I'm all that approachable. In later years I've cultivated my "resting bitch face". I'm sure that puts a lot of people off. I would be fine if a friend asked to touch it or to brush and braid it. Children's grubby paws? Uh no, never.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2015, 09:44 AM
A young man with Down syndrome once completely entangled his hands in my hair from behind when I didn't see him coming at my husband's company Christmas party several years ago. His father ran over and was disentangling him, apologizing profusely, and his son said "hair!" with such enthusiasm that I couldn't be too upset. He meant no harm.

Auni
April 23rd, 2015, 10:40 AM
A young man with Down syndrome once completely entangled his hands in my hair from behind when I didn't see him coming at my husband's company Christmas party several years ago. His father ran over and was disentangling him, apologizing profusely, and his son said "hair!" with such enthusiasm that I couldn't be too upset. He meant no harm.

I really like that story. I have immense patience with unbound innocence!

mzlbcmami
April 23rd, 2015, 11:18 AM

Aw sweet story. LOL He was intrigued!

endlessly
April 23rd, 2015, 11:32 AM
I've had many attempts and some unfortunate success from strangers, but the people I'm closest to know better than to touch my hair unless I give them permission. One of the main reasons I stopped wearing my hair down was because of strangers constantly coming up trying to grab it - if it's out of sight, I've essentially removed that temptation for them. The last time it happened, I was grocery shopping and this elderly woman (who I'm also certain had some mental issues, too) basically grabbed and pulled my hair. She wanted to talk to me while petting it and I had to actually pull my hair back and tuck it into my shirt just to get her to stop reaching for it. Then, just to make matters worse, she followed me around the entire store while still trying to get my hair. Let's just say, lesson learned.

I have had strangers ask when I'm wearing my hair up if I'll take it down so they can see it, and I'm actually much more likely to do that because they made it a point to ask nicely, but at least they've given me the option instead of trying to force it. When I worked at a mall, I had a customer once ask me to take my hair down and I said 'no, sorry' and explained it was a difficult hairstyle and would take me forever to put back up (lots of pins since it was a Grecian-inspired braided up-do), and then she basically called me a bitch, but at least she didn't try to grab my hair and force it down.

While I do think it's nice to receive the compliments, I agree that there are definitely people out there who cross the line. I've been asked on more than one occasion why I even have long hair if I'm not going to wear it down and why I complain about people wanting to touch it when I'm "asking for it" by having long hair. And yes, I was told more than once that I was "asking for it" because I had long hair which, in my opinion, is ********. It's just like telling a woman who was assaulted that she was "asking for it" because she's a woman. People need to learn that there are boundaries and truthfully, I have long hair because I like long hair, I never did it to impress anyone else or get any attention, I just like it.

Agnes Hannah
April 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM
I had mine loose the other week for a party, it got attention, I got freaked out, hair got put away!!

longNred
April 23rd, 2015, 01:56 PM
never. but, I don't give off the "it's ok to attempt to touch me" vibe either. more like the "try it and die" vibe.

Ephemia
April 23rd, 2015, 03:10 PM
I don't really get randomers trying to touch my hair, and I wouldn't mind if they did as long as they asked first and were gentle. They just compliment me on it instead. I only remember one old lady actually touching it, and she did ask first. However, there is this girl at college who's fascinated with my hair and she has a habit of grabbing it and playing with it, which always makes me jump, especially if I don't know she's in the room. I might have to tell her to be a bit more gentle.

cocoahair
April 23rd, 2015, 04:26 PM
My friends always touch my hair, I don't really mind as long as they're gentle. I'm assuming that people are more tempted to touch hair once it's past TBL or Classic length-as soon as hair is that long, people seem to forget that it's attached to your head and see it more as an accessory. My sister, on the other hand, doesn't even like me to touch her hair :shrug: I guess it just varies from person to person. :)

Well I have control issues when it comes to my hair :tax: lol

Seeshami
April 23rd, 2015, 05:33 PM
As in many of the other threads I do things that scream for attention of the adoring public and I am touched all the time. If it bothered me I wouldn't dress up in public or ever wear my hair down. If I am going to be social norm challenging in my behavior I am inviting everyone else to do the same and stranger danger pets, and hugs are part of the gig. I can't intentionally call attention to myself and not expect to get attention. That's why my dad calls me his fearless daughter.

I do draw the line at body tipping from gentleman in my age group. I would never tell a small child or the elderly no and women, of any persuasion have never overstepped that trust so if they insist on tipping I will oblige, I also do not dance for monetary affections, I want ATTENTION. so Sorry bro-friends but the married belly dancer is not interested in your money or your man stuff business.

Neecola
April 29th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Is the title of this thread a reference to Arrested Development? That's immediately what I thought of!

People occasionally touch my hair when I wear it down and curly but not often. It doesn't really bother me.

FallingDarkness
April 29th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Yes. My hair is only like an inch past my waist so it's not long by any means but still people at school are just like "Wow your hair so long and thick and wow" *pets hair*
Get away from my hair please. It's mine. If you asked permission then that'd be one thing, like a few of my friends do, but random people.... Yuck. I know I should take it as a compliment but I'm very much into the concept of a "personal bubble".

Arete
April 29th, 2015, 11:49 PM
I've never had anyone *not* ask when they want to touch it, but it doesn't happen very often. Apparently my hair isn't tempting :p
However, what I hate is when people try to rub my scalp affectionately. NO. NO TOUCH. YOU MAKE IT FRIZZY. YOU MIGHT BREAK IT.

Frankenstein
April 30th, 2015, 07:20 PM
This actually happened to me for the first time today, in line at the drugstore. The older woman next to me reached over and grabbed several strands and said "I've just got to touch your hair, it's so pretty!" I didn't mind, but got a little embarrassed because I'm not used to it :blushing: