PDA

View Full Version : Everyday hairstyle suggestions for thick tbl hair?

Ilenora
April 22nd, 2015, 02:46 AM
Hello everyone!

I've been absent from LHC for a little while as I was dealing with some very pesky adware that just refused to budge.... I think I might have got it from LHC, but I'm come back armed with an antivirus program and adblock!

Anyway, on to the topic - I'm looking for hairstyle suggestions from you peeps! Something that will work with my very long, thick hair - anything comfortable and easy for an everyday style. And something that won't knot and tangle up terribly. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have almost no 'hair toys', just some elastics and a few clips. I hadn't even heard of a ficcare before coming here. But if your style suggestion requires a toy, I'm happy to look into getting some.

I'm fine googling tutorials myself but if you happen to know of instructions or a tutorial on the style, that would be a bonus! It's really hard to find anything in a usual search for 'long hairstyles' that can actually be done on my length. My hair is also super heavy and I haven't ever succeeded in making a comfortable bun that actually stays up.

Honestly, I keep my hair in a regular ol' single braid all day, every day. Now that winter has suddenly hit I decided to be creative and try a half-up braid for extra warmth XD Sometimes I wear braided pigtails. I don't know how to french or dutch braid but I'd like to learn.

Rhodugune
April 22nd, 2015, 04:03 AM
I would suggest buns even though you tried them already, since you don't have any hairsticks, am I right?
Its such a huge difference trying to make a secure bun with and without one.
I have about the same length and thickness as you and and buns are my go to updo. :)
Right now I'm favoring the lazy wrap bun, but I also do a Nautilus fairly often, and the Figure 8 bun or a braided Chinese bun.
If you want instructions how to do different buns I would check out Torrinpaige's channel and just search for what bun you want to see a tutorial of.
You can always use a pencil or a paintbrush to try the hairstyles out before investing in a hairstick or two.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw8NAHElFHyXQTL7u1FBiKA

Nique1202
April 22nd, 2015, 05:43 AM
I second checking out Torrin Paige's channel, her hair is solid iii thickness (I think she's mentioned she has a 5 inch ponytail) and tailbone-to-classic length so all her buns should work for you, and she shows very clearly how to fasten each style securely.

You might need to start out with finding a few sticks (chopsticks sanded free of splinters, a sharpened pencil with nail polish covering the splintery tip, or a wooden dowel lightly sanded and sharpened on one end) and go all the way back to her first videos where she shows things like how to use a hairstick effectively, then find something you think looks pretty and practice.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2015, 06:19 AM
iii hair at this stage (TBL) should be able to handle a LWB (lazy wrap bun) or a cinnamon bun.

Anje
April 22nd, 2015, 09:05 AM
I'm at classic and braiding or bunning pretty much every day myself. Hairsticks or forks are you friends, big-time!

Sticks: Until you get purpose-made ones, I love the idea I saw of using colored pencils. You can, of course, sharpen them down to the right length for you and smooth them if necessary, maybe coat the tips in clear nailpolish. Chopsticks are also nice if you cut them down to a shorter length and then sharpen/sand the tips to a gentle point.

I'm also going to point you to Elymwold (https://www.etsy.com/shop/Elymwold) on Etsy. I haven't gotten any of their stuff yet, though I'm told the quality is amazing. Anyway, they're the first place in Australia that came to mind, so you wouldn't have to pay those exorbitant from-everywhere-else shipping fees that you normally get stuck with. :)

Seventy7
April 22nd, 2015, 01:08 PM
And knitting needles also work as hairsticks. I bought a few at the thrift shop for some coins and even bent one to make a two prong fork.
You don't need fancy accessories to bun your mane. When you get the hang of the buns and figure out what your hair needs, for length and thickness of the toys, you can always spoil yourself with something prettier.

Torrin Paige sure is a good place to start looking. Go practice and enjoy. :)

cat11
April 22nd, 2015, 01:27 PM
Here ya go! It's a gold mine. Post 23 is where it starts!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682&p=2608650&viewfull=1#post2608650

gthlvrmx
April 22nd, 2015, 01:51 PM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682&page=3

Some of those links on the list don't work. Maybe another tutorial can be found for those specific links that don't work by searching through youtube or google?

maegalcarwen
April 22nd, 2015, 02:52 PM
I second checking out Torrin Paige's channel, her hair is solid iii thickness (I think she's mentioned she has a 5 inch ponytail) and tailbone-to-classic length so all her buns should work for you, and she shows very clearly how to fasten each style securely.

Really? I watched a few of her videos but I didn't think she would be iii.

Anje
That's a good list! This was what was ultimately compiled from it, too: http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/

And I agree gthlvrmx -- some of the links have died, but if you have a style name, YouTube can be a big help.

maegalcarwen
-----------

Nique1202
April 22nd, 2015, 03:39 PM
Really? I watched a few of her videos but I didn't think she would be iii.

Yup! You can really see it when she does a single braid in some of her vlogs and as a preliminary style. That braid is probably almost as big as my wrist. She's 6' tall so everything will look smaller in proportion to her, including her hair volume.

Gaelic Girl
April 22nd, 2015, 03:52 PM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682&p=2608650&viewfull=1#post2608650

BRILLIANT!!!! This is exactly what I need!! Thanks so much, cat11! :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

Welcome back Ilenora! :)

Gaelic Girl
April 22nd, 2015, 03:55 PM
Yup! You can really see it when she does a single braid in some of her vlogs and as a preliminary style. That braid is probably almost as big as my wrist. She's 6' tall so everything will look smaller in proportion to her, including her hair volume.

:agape:

I like her cuz she seems so sweet too! She gets excited and giggly and clearly loves giving tutorials, which is so nice!

Ilenora
April 22nd, 2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys! I haven't started looking up any specific styles yet but I just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. My ponytail is a little over 4" thick. I honestly haven't ever tried very hard to do a proper bun.

cat11
April 24th, 2015, 05:21 PM
BRILLIANT!!!! This is exactly what I need!! Thanks so much, cat11! :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

Your welcome :) I always refence this and the bu nprogression list thread when I know my hair's getting longer :)

cat11
April 24th, 2015, 05:22 PM

Your welcome :) I always refence this and the bu nprogression list thread when I know my hair's getting longer :)