PDA

View Full Version : A tragic coconut oil experience - anyone else?

komodo
April 22nd, 2015, 01:21 AM
I've searched on the forums and in other places but it seem like I've the only one who has experienced this -

I washed my hair a few days ago and I decided to try out putting coconut oil in it. I'm putting it in and my hair just seems to be breaking and breaking and I'm just thinking, 'oh, just from the wash,' but it keeps happening. The next day, even grasping my hair and lightly pulling at least 10 hairs break off. It's happened to me before with the oil but I assumed it was just my hair being very damaged.

But, I couldn't really take it so I shampooed and clarified it out of my hair because it was just too much. I then decided to put camellia oil on it and the problem just went away. I've been testing it all day and nothing even close to how it behaved with coconut oil has occurred.

I was wondering what this means for my hair, exactly. Coconut oil is just supposed to moisturize the hair but, apparently, so is camellia oil so, I'm not sure what was the big issue.

gthlvrmx
April 22nd, 2015, 01:26 AM
I think I read somewhere that coconut can help keep your hair from losing to much protein in it, which may make it seem more "brittle". What is your hair routine? Do you know if you have build up? Do you use heat at all? When was the last time you used heat? What tools do you use for your hair? Are you healthy?

komodo
April 22nd, 2015, 01:58 AM
I think I read somewhere that coconut can help keep your hair from losing to much protein in it, which may make it seem more "brittle". What is your hair routine? Do you know if you have build up? Do you use heat at all? When was the last time you used heat? What tools do you use for your hair? Are you healthy?

That would make sense - it would also seem as to why all the products I've been trying do nothing or hinder, even - much of them have hydrolyzed protein in it. I don't have a 'set' routine, at the moment - I've been trying products for ages.

I may have mineral build up from our hard water but I'm working on getting a chelating shampoo for that. I blowdry and flat-iron my hair about... 12-14 times a year. I'm trying to do it less, or at least take care of it more (which I've never done in my life, really).

pixiepaws
April 22nd, 2015, 02:13 AM
I have don't get on too well coconut oil it makes my hair crispy and tangle at the ends. I never use just used protein treatments on their own . Coconut oil can hold the protein in your hair. I am thinking I this is why my hair does not like it. It could be protein sensitivity. Everyone's hair and scalp responds to different things. My hair is likes Argon oil and Avocado oil a lot more.

Am sorry it made your hair brake off

Panth
April 22nd, 2015, 02:33 AM
Firstly, no oil moisturises hair. Some act as emollients (which are commonly mis-identified as "moisturising" in both haircare and skincare). Oils principally act via one of two ways:
1) penetrating the hair and helping to retain moisture, prevent protein loss, etc. (only a few oils do this effectively, coconut is one of them)
2) forming an occlusive barrier coating the hair shaft which, though not completely impermeable, helps to prevent moisture flux into/out of hair

Note that the overall effect of the latter property depends greatly on how moist your hair is when you apply the oil (i.e. did you apply to damp or dry hair?) and how moist your environment is (i.e. local humidity).

With coconut oil, you have two added issues. 1) It's a solid and if the local temperature is low it will revert to a solid after application. Depending on the temperature and how much you applied, this can make your hair feel very weird. 2) It's easy to overdose (as with any oil) and, unlike some other oils, overdose doesn't just mean "looks like an otter in an oilslick" but it also means "crunchy, weird, brittle hair".

Personally, I'd do a conditioner only wash (oil dissolves better in conditioner, thus conditioner washes are better than shampoo to remove excess oil). Then, I'd cautiously try coconut oil again. Make sure to start with very little - maybe enough to scrape under one nail for all of your hair - melt it onto the palms of your hands, rub your hands together to get a thin sheen over your palms, then glide your palms down your length to apply the oil to your hair. You may also want to experiment with applying it to sopping vs. damp vs. dry hair or as a leave-in vs. a pre-shampooing deep treatment.

lazuliblue
April 22nd, 2015, 03:02 AM
Panth has given some excellent advice. I conditioner only (CO) wash, and I do so after I have had coconut oil in my hair. I leave the oil on overnight and then in the morning put some conditioner on my hair and leave it for 10-20 minutes. When I then CO wash the oil just coems right out, and I am not undoing the goodness of the oil by stripping my hair with sulphate shampoo.

meteor
April 22nd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Firstly, no oil moisturises hair. Some act as emollients (which are commonly mis-identified as "moisturising" in both haircare and skincare). Oils principally act via one of two ways:
1) penetrating the hair and helping to retain moisture, prevent protein loss, etc. (only a few oils do this effectively, coconut is one of them)
2) forming an occlusive barrier coating the hair shaft which, though not completely impermeable, helps to prevent moisture flux into/out of hair

Note that the overall effect of the latter property depends greatly on how moist your hair is when you apply the oil (i.e. did you apply to damp or dry hair?) and how moist your environment is (i.e. local humidity).

With coconut oil, you have two added issues. 1) It's a solid and if the local temperature is low it will revert to a solid after application. Depending on the temperature and how much you applied, this can make your hair feel very weird. 2) It's easy to overdose (as with any oil) and, unlike some other oils, overdose doesn't just mean "looks like an otter in an oilslick" but it also means "crunchy, weird, brittle hair".

Personally, I'd do a conditioner only wash (oil dissolves better in conditioner, thus conditioner washes are better than shampoo to remove excess oil). Then, I'd cautiously try coconut oil again. Make sure to start with very little - maybe enough to scrape under one nail for all of your hair - melt it onto the palms of your hands, rub your hands together to get a thin sheen over your palms, then glide your palms down your length to apply the oil to your hair. You may also want to experiment with applying it to sopping vs. damp vs. dry hair or as a leave-in vs. a pre-shampooing deep treatment.

^ Very true! :agree:
It's easy to get tangly, brittle, coated feeling if coconut oil is applied too heavily. And then, it solidifies at room temperature!
Here is a video that demonstrates how little coconut oil can be applied even to extremely long hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

I'm not saying, this is how little needs to be applied (it's very individual, indeed), I just think it's safer to start small and build up the oiling gradually, if needed. :flower: Even a drop or two can be enough for some hair.
Also, obviously, not everybody gets along with coconut oil. :) Choice of oil is a very YMMV kind of thing.

The only kind of protein that can make hair seem more "brittle" is the kind you add on top of hair - hydrolyzed protein treatments that adsorb to hair surface and sometimes also penetrate hair, making the overall structure stronger, but sometimes also more coated, brittle, dry, if overdone. But your *own* protein (hair keratin) is something that any hair wants to hold onto, losing hair keratin means damage, it's never a good thing. Anything that protects hair (oils, ceramides, even silicones) is, in a way, preventing keratin loss, i.e. they prevent damage.

gthlvrmx
April 22nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
^ Very true! :agree:
It's easy to get tangly, brittle, coated feeling if coconut oil is applied too heavily. And then, it solidifies at room temperature!
Here is a video that demonstrates how little coconut oil can be applied even to extremely long hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

I'm not saying, this is how little needs to be applied (it's very individual, indeed), I just think it's safer to start small and build up the oiling gradually, if needed. :flower: Even a drop or two can be enough for some hair.
Also, obviously, not everybody gets along with coconut oil. :) Choice of oil is a very YMMV kind of thing.

The only kind of protein that can make hair seem more "brittle" is the kind you add on top of hair - hydrolyzed protein treatments that adsorb to hair surface and sometimes also penetrate hair, making the overall structure stronger, but sometimes also more coated, brittle, dry, if overdone. But your *own* protein (hair keratin) is something that any hair wants to hold onto, losing hair keratin means damage, it's never a good thing. Anything that protects hair (oils, ceramides, even silicones) is, in a way, preventing keratin loss, i.e. they prevent damage.

Ah ok thanks for that!

Komodo, maybe the damage came from the flat ironing. I think if you keep the blow dryer setting on "cool" you should be fine, but the flat iron might be the reason for the breakage and splits.

meteor
April 22nd, 2015, 01:43 PM
Ah ok thanks for that!

Komodo, maybe the damage came from the flat ironing. I think if you keep the blow dryer setting on "cool" you should be fine, but the flat iron might be the reason for the breakage and splits.

Oh yes, absolutely! :agree:
Flat-ironing (or any high-heat treatment) is undoubtedly damaging enough to cause breakage, especially if it's done so frequently. Very high heat of flat irons (curling irons) actually denatures hair protein. :(
Blow-drying on cool setting, or straightening hair by combing it out as it's drying, or wet-setting it in jumbo rollers, or doing head-wraps are probably the safest no-damage straightening methods. :flower:

loonylovegood47
April 22nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
That sounds dreadful! Ive never put coconut oil on more than just my ends, but I know if I use too much or apply to dry hair it gets kinda crunchy and brittle feeling. I have the best results with damp hair and the tiniest tiniest bit of oil.

Its great you are working to take better care of your hair. :) Dont get discouraged by this bad experience with coconut oil, it always takes a little while to figure out what your hair likes and needs.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2015, 01:54 PM
I may have mineral build up from our hard water but I'm working on getting a chelating shampoo for that. I blowdry and flat-iron my hair about... 12-14 times a year. I'm trying to do it less, or at least take care of it more (which I've never done in my life, really).

That's once or more a month that you use high heat on it - it's a lot, enough to make it brittle and break off. I'd stay away from the coconut oil, but that's a given. Also try and S&D your hair and look for white dots and split ends (damage). That might explain the breakage even more than the oil.

swearnsue
April 22nd, 2015, 01:54 PM
I remember that inspiring video from when my hair was barely to my shoulders! Thank you Heidi w, wherever you are!!!

spidermom
April 22nd, 2015, 04:17 PM
To moisturize means to make less dry, and this includes lotions, creams, and oils as well as water. In some instances, as in lips and hair, oil is much more moisturizing than water. I think people confuse moisturizing with hydrating when they say it only means water.

I can't think of any mechanism whereby coconut oil would make hair break, but since camellia oil works for you, I think you should stick with that. My hair responds beautifully to coconut oil. I apply it to length only after my scalp area gets oily, then get it out with conditioner.

komodo
April 22nd, 2015, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, this has all been very interesting and I'd like to thank all of you for your tips and help.

snip

Super interesting stuff. The odd thing is that my hair was very saturated and still wet - not brittle at all, but it just kept breaking. I washed my hair today and oddly enough, my hair seemed to respond well while wet - I could put my fingers through it without hairs coming off my fingers every time. I do remember there was a point in time where it tended to break off while wet, so that's a nice change of pace.

I didn't have anymore coconut oil to try out (I'l fetch a little more or borrow from my sister) but I will definitely try it again - maybe it did help my hair? It's hard to say.

snip

Yeah and I live in a pretty hot place, so I'm likely not doing my hair a bunch of favors in that department.

Thanks a lot everyone :heart:

Unicorn
April 23rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
I remember that inspiring video from when my hair was barely to my shoulders! Thank you Heidi w, wherever you are!!!

I've not seen her around for some time, I hope she's ok :(

Unicorn