PDA

View Full Version : Random question about braid thickness

Ohio Sky
October 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I've noticed that when I braid my hair, it looks uber thick from directly behind, but almost non existent from the sides. Anyone else have this problem? Know of any way to get it to look thick from any angle?

heidi w.
October 2nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
If the braid is in a ponytail format, looking at one straight on (facing your face and your tail hangs behind you), then generally, no, you can't make it appear from that angle UNLESS

you draw it over your shoulder.
do 2 braids (pigtail braids?)
french braid
make an significantly looser weave when braiding so the width expands.

heidi w.

Dulci
October 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Do you mean you think your braid looks flat and two-dimensional? Flat like a ribbon? Mine does too. I learned how to do a 4-strand box braid, it makes the braid rounder, more three-dimensional.

freznow
October 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yup, same thing here. Most braiding is just weaving with only a few strands. So a regular braid is more closely related to a blanket than a rope. The more strands, the flatter it is sideways, and the wider it is from the back. There are some (box braid) that are 3D rather than 2D, as Dulci mentions.

Carolyn
October 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I think it happens because the 3 sections are laying next to each other. So your braid is only as deep as one section but as wide as the 3 locks. Hope that kinda makes sense. I love how wide mine looks at the base.

Ohio Sky
October 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I do four strands sometimes but the more strands you involve, the more difficult it is to get them even with layers and such, so I don't mess with it that often.

FrannyG
October 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Well, a three strand braid is always going to be a flat braid, and there's simply nothing you can do about that.

A four strand box braid looks cute even with layers poking out in my opinion.

Have you ever tried a two strand rope braid? They're very easy to do and tubular in shape, rather than flat. And folks are utterly fascinated by them in real life. :)

Ohio Sky
October 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Well, a three strand braid is always going to be a flat braid, and there's simply nothing you can do about that.

A four strand box braid looks cute even with layers poking out in my opinion.

Have you ever tried a two strand rope braid? They're very easy to do and tubular in shape, rather than flat. And folks are utterly fascinated by them in real life. :)

These do not stay in my hair for more than about 5 minutes. They start coming unraveled and get frizzy in a hurry.