PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for my brother's hair

divinedobbie
April 20th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Recently my brother (typical short hair) approached me for advice about his hair because he says his scalp and hair is very dry and flaky. He said that if he doesn't wash it every day, it gets really itchy too. I've never had this kind of problem myself so I need help! I asked him about the products he uses and he says he's tried dozens of shampoos and also tried moroccan oil and nothing helps. He says the shampoo he is using right now is a tea tree oil one.

Any advice is much appreciated!

ETA: After some more discussion with him, he says it's not that it's itchy but the flakes annoy him so he scratches. I know he has tried sulfate free shampoos in the past but he can't remember what his hair was like back then.

Nadine <3
April 20th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Sounds like SD to me. I would advise trying Nizoral and if that doesn't clear it up, a trip to the derm!

yahirwaO.o
April 20th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Sounds like SD to me. I would advise trying Nizoral and if that doesn't clear it up, a trip to the derm!

Yes this advice!!!

divinedobbie
April 20th, 2015, 07:42 PM

I thought SD was more of an oily-skin condition. I asked and he said his skin is very dry and sensitive.

divinedobbie
April 20th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Oh and in case this has anything to do with it, our mom has eczema. He says that although his skin is dry, it doesn't flake and it's not itchy (except for scalp) so I don't think it's the same problem.

Do you think allergies to sulfates or something in the shampoos could be causing this?

pixiepaws
April 21st, 2015, 03:37 AM
Um could be a number of things. Tea Tree oil can be quite strong and some people might not get on with essential oils. He could try an anti dandruff shampoo for the flakes its the Zinc Pyrithione is the active ingredient. Or a fragrance free shampoo could help. But best to get it checked out if he is worried.

JustPam
April 21st, 2015, 04:24 AM
He could try CO washing, maybe add a spoonful of brown sugar to gently exfoliate the scalp too for the flake issue?

Nique1202
April 21st, 2015, 05:19 AM
If he has medium to thick hair it's possible that it's thick enough to trap the dead skin that every part of the body sheds, and that would look like flakes. That's what happens to me, it's not eczema or dandruff or SD, it's just the dead skin cells that shed off my scalp that get caught in my hair. I often have to fluff my fringe a couple of times a day to loosen them, and I have to brush and massage and scritch my scalp really thoroughly on wash day to make sure it all comes out or it gets worse every wash.

I do wonder if he's conditioning at all? So many people, but men especially, don't ever learn the benefits of conditioning for dryness. Just adding oil to dry hair/scalp won't always solve a dryness problem, conditioner might help to moisturize the hair and the scalp and reduce the number of skin flakes that come off in the first place, the same way using lotion after a shower prevents you from getting flaky dry skin.

Panth
April 21st, 2015, 05:50 AM
It could be:
- seborrheic dermatitis
- eczema
- psoriasis
- xerosis
- allergy/reaction to product ingredients/formulation (including sulphates, essential oils, fragrances, preservatives)
- etc.

The best bet is probably a trip to the doctor, especially if there is a family history of skin conditions.

allycat
April 21st, 2015, 06:14 AM
For me, the first sign of itching means ph imbalance and a bit of a fungal overgrowth. Diluted apple cider vinegar rinse solves the problem.

My son used to complain about itching and flaking a lot, but now he rinses with dilute vinegar every 2-3 shampoos or so and doesn't have that problem anymore.

Laurenji
April 21st, 2015, 08:48 AM
I'm throwing in another vote for diluted vinegar rinses! I used to scratch my scalp until it bled, until I started doing regular vinegar rinses for about a year. I don't even do vinegar rinses anymore, but my scalp seems to be cured.

divinedobbie
April 21st, 2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys! I'll suggest these things to him and hopefully something works.