PDA

View Full Version : ...where'd my volume go? D:

FallingDarkness
April 20th, 2015, 05:10 PM
My hair is as wavy as ever, maybe even a little wavier, but it's flat. There's no volume anywhere. Which is odd for me seeing how my hair tends to be very thick. What happened and how can I fix it?!

MINAKO
April 20th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I guess thats the weight of the hair that comes with more length. Also the better you take care of your hair the more likely your waves align in a more uniform pattern leaving no frizzy hairs in between to fluff it up. Or maybe you overconditioned?

swearnsue
April 20th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Sometimes a build up can make hair look flat. Have you clarified in the last couple of months? Might be worth a try!

mamaherrera
April 20th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I get that on my second day hair, since i braid it to sleep. So it's totally lifeless the next day, all these thin clumps with no "poof" to them. Is yours like this even on a wash day?? I think I'm so used to when I used to brush it day and night, and now I never brush, so I have no "tools" to make it voluminous unless I get it wet again! I second what OP said above about the fact that taking good care of hair, means less frizz. My hair almost looks "silky" if you know what I mean, and not "bushY" any longer and I think a lot of it is now I do no shampoo on length, we just tend to treat our hair better and it behaves better. Like it's trained. Also, the length. My husband keeps saying to me, if you want more volume, cut it.

Glamgirl
April 20th, 2015, 07:42 PM
My hair is the same...it used to be full, curly, and "big"...now that it has gotten to thigh-length...it just seems flat. Not sure what to do about it either.

mamaherrera
April 20th, 2015, 10:43 PM
gosh at least you didn't lose volume until "thigh-length". I'm not even to hip yet, maybe I won't ever get there, and mine isn't as poofy as I"m used to either but then I think this is the longest I've ever had my hair.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
April 20th, 2015, 10:59 PM
I second clarifying and seeing if that helps. Otherwise, have you switched shampoo or conditioner recently? I assume not or you probably would have mentioned it.... but different shampoos/conditioners definitely have an effect on how flat or puffy my hair is.

Arwenlily
April 21st, 2015, 12:13 AM
I remember the first time this happened to me, I freaked out! It turns out that my hair was a lot fluffier in general because of frizz and less clumping and when cared for properly, curls would clump together and overall frizz was lower making my hair have less volume. Now I actually do have less hair than before, still trying to figure out why, and I wish frizz was my only concern regarding volume ...

meteor
April 21st, 2015, 11:45 AM
My hair is as wavy as ever, maybe even a little wavier, but it's flat. There's no volume anywhere. Which is odd for me seeing how my hair tends to be very thick. What happened and how can I fix it?!

First, I agree with everything else posted here. Definitely the choice of shampoo and conditioner can impact volume, not shampooing the length does that too...
Length weighs down on the volume, too, which is why one of the solutions for uncontrollable "lionesque" big hair is to just grow it out longer.

For more volume, I'd recommend:
- clarifying shampoos,
- using light conditioners (they are often marketed for fine hair),
- going for film-forming humectants, panthenol, hydrolyzed proteins, cassia and other volume-inducing ingredients,
- styling wet/damp hair upside down,
- brushing/combing hair upside down,
- scrunching/plopping and blow-drying (if you do blow-dry) the roots,
- putting hair in jumbo, extra-large foam rollers or satin-covered rollers to style, like these (http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/14436691?wid=480&hei=480) or these (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jLgttCNBL._SX450_.jpg) - roll until very close to root to give extra lift,
- using bump-its, hair rats and other tools to create volume,
- dry shampoos (to be brushed out upside down) on non-wash days,
- using volumizing styling products, like some mousses, salt sprays, hairsprays - just don't use them too much, because they can be drying.

Breanna
April 21st, 2015, 11:52 AM
I've had this very same freak out and eventually found out that the culprit was low humidity. Normally it's very humid here so I get used to my hair's poof, but then when it drops it doesn't even feel like my hair! Has the humidity been low where you live? Also all of these other suggestions are very good too.

cat11
April 21st, 2015, 12:00 PM
I have the same thing, and we have similar hair type. My hair is longer than it's ever been so I have nothing to compare it to, I cant tell if it's gotten thinner or it's just an illusion.

maegalcarwen
April 21st, 2015, 02:14 PM
I remember the first time this happened to me, I freaked out! It turns out that my hair was a lot fluffier in general because of frizz and less clumping and when cared for properly, curls would clump together and overall frizz was lower making my hair have less volume. Now I actually do have less hair than before, still trying to figure out why, and I wish frizz was my only concern regarding volume ...

Uh, uh, I have the same issue, I mean, what you had before, is what I am having now! Please tell me what to do to make the pouf and fluff go away and get nice curls without having to wash my hair really often? What are you doing differently than before? Thank you:3

I am sorry that you have less hair though, but maybe it just looks less because of the length and the no poufy thing? I always realize that I don't have that much hair before I wash it, because then it gets oilier:/

lapushka
April 21st, 2015, 02:54 PM
My hair got flat when it was waist/hip. I then had it layered, mostly because it was just getting to be too heavy for me; solved it! My hair is layered with the compact cut method for shortest layers. My shortest layer is BSL+ and I am TBL+; it really makes a difference.

I would try and use products for F hair, like volumizing shampoos, they tend to be the less weighty formulas on the market. Then try a light conditioner after (if your hair is not too tangle-prone).

Avital88
April 21st, 2015, 03:07 PM
I'm actually having the same problem at the moment and thinking of cutting some layers in my hair to lift it up a bit

FallingDarkness
April 21st, 2015, 08:35 PM
Well there have been no changes in my routine at all recently. Same sulfate free shampoo on the scalp, VO5 on the length, and I CWC. My hair could just be getting heavier with length, but I'd normally think that that would "unwave" my hair as well... When some days I feel like it's wavier than ever!
I've been thinking of getting layers, but I also just finally grew them all out, and IDK what to do :/ I wear my hair up 5/7 days a week, and then on occasion participate in the wear hair up for ____ challenge and don't want it to be a struggle to wear my hair up, which is frequently mentioned for those who have layers.... HELP.

divinedobbie
April 21st, 2015, 10:01 PM
Seconding - thirding? - that it might be the volume from added length.
I personally wouldn't cut in layers, not after you just grew them out and definitely not if you're unsure whether you want them.
How about blowdrying your hair (on cool ofcourse), even if you just blowdried the roots, I think it would make a big difference.
After you wash your hair, do you just leave it down to dry? I've had success gently flipping it upside down and running my fingers in the downward direction and then flipping it back over and letting your roots dry in the different direction will give a lot of lift. My friend puts her hair in a loose top knot right on top of her head when drying and that gives her lift too.
I know others mentioned it but you didn't really say whether you've clarified recently?

FallingDarkness
April 22nd, 2015, 07:35 AM
Oh! Yeah I haven't clarified recently. I'll do that tonight I think.
And yeah I do just leave it down to dry, drying it (at least partially) upside down could be cool. However my hair takes a loooooooooong time to dry...
And I lost my blow-dryer. How tragic. :/

LongCurlyTress
April 29th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Drying your scalp hair with your hair forward and your head down helps alot with gaining volume. Then lifting the front section up and drying near the roots helps to give lift also. I wouldn't layer into curly hair... Just seems to make my hair too unruly, but not in a good way, more of a Rosanne Rosannadanna way... lol... Good luck! Your hair is really beautiful Glamgirl and I would just be happy it has grown so long and healthy. Thigh length!! Wow!! I would be happy with classic if my hair can grow there! Good luck! And yes, it is hanging flatter, tamer with the additional weight from the length, but also if it is healthier, that also might be making it calmer. ;) Half ups with a cinabun also help to give some poof on your crown! Some long temple side tendrils, and wala! Big hair on top again! :magic:

ETA check out my profile pic. I used a 1 inch claw clip, did a Snooky poof and twisted the section in front of my ears up to my crown in a half updo and this created height in the crown area. Good luck!

Paula Barbieri with OJ Simpson
https://www.google.com/search?q=paula+barbieri+long+hair&biw=1138&bih=528&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8_9AVZ_jNpe6ogTE9IDgBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=Iy4HfYaLhysk8M%253A%3B0g0jZK m-T_4WKM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fnewsnyork.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F06%252FsPCLKTaaIR .jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimgbuddy.com%252Fjustin-simpson-ojs-son.asp%3B970%3B750