PDA

View Full Version : Silicone in shampoo?

lapushka
April 18th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Who uses silicones in shampoo? I, as a rule, do not. It doesn't mean that I don't have a few shampoos that do contain silicones, but as a general rule, I try to stay away from them.

I find that my hair gets oilier a little faster if I do use a silicone shampoo.

My hair is only weekly washed, so I like to make it a clarify-wash as I oil rinse as well and do LOC, so lots of products. That means a shampoo without silicones.

But...

How do you guys feel towards this? Do you pay attention to this, or not? Do you use a silicone shampoo or a silicone-free one, and why? I'd love to know!

MINAKO
April 18th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I avoid it in my cleansing conditioners as well. I know i do get build up from what i add later on anyways, but in a more controlled way, just enough to keep hair smooth at all times. My scalp doesnt produce enough sebum for my hair to ever look oily from that alone, so i cant really say anything about that.

EF
April 18th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I stay away from silicones. They leave a nasty layer on my hair. It gets greasy in just half a day, odd short growing hairs stick out in all directions and my waves look all wrong. It also feels like such products dry hair in the long run. Maybe I just tried the wrong products and silicones were not the problem, who knows.
I get similar result with silicone creams. I don't like how they feel, they dry my skin and cause all types of problems.

excentricat
April 18th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I avoid them in general, my hair is better behaved with a minimum of things on it. However, I do use an anti-dandruff shampoo occasionally, and the one in the house at the moment has dimethicone.

Arctic
April 18th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I'm not against silicones in principle, but prefere my shampoos (and conditioners) silicone-free. I cannot even remember when I would have had silicone shampoo, but I do occasionally buy a conditioner with silicone, which I would then use very rarely. Silicones in S+C build up fast and I don't like how they make my hair feel usually. The idea of having a silicone layer on my sensitive scalp is off-putting. I am most likely seen using silicone in a smoothing lotion form, that suits my hair and scalp well. But even that is a very rare for me, I've had the same bottle of that lotion for probably 5 years and it's not empty yet, lol. My hair doesn't seem to benefit from cones in general.

Vivalagina
April 18th, 2015, 04:32 PM
My hair prefers silicone in the shampoo. I get better coverage, less manipulation, and less tangles. I dont think my clarifying shampoo has silicone though.

Lady Katherine
April 18th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I'm not particularly against it, but my shampoo doesn't have it. I never paid attention before, so I don't really know if my hair likes it or not. I didn't look at the labels before I joined here! I think I have a leave-in with silicone though.

butter52
April 18th, 2015, 04:54 PM
My shampoos (and conditioners) usually have amodimeticone. I feel it helps protecting and smothing and it doesnt make my hair oily ir waxy.

Hurven
April 18th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Both my shampoo and conditioner contains silicone. I once tried a shampoo without silicone and my hair looked so greasy! As far as I know, I haven't gotten any build-up so I will continue to use shampoo and conditioner with silicone. :)

Lolino
April 18th, 2015, 05:22 PM
My shampoo (and conditioner) doesn't have silicone, but that was more of a side effect of wanting something free from sulfates and parabens and trying to find something that didn't smell too strongly and "fake" for my taste (no artificial fragrance in it either). I works very well for my hair, so why not :shrug: Bit pricey though.

I do tend to avoid cones in general, but it's not a hard rule for me, so when I can't afford my regular ones due to whatever reasons, I just buy whatever cheapish shampoo/conditioner I can find.

hennalonghair
April 18th, 2015, 05:50 PM
I stay away from silicones. They leave a nasty layer on my hair. It gets greasy in just half a day, odd short growing hairs stick out in all directions and my waves look all wrong. It also feels like such products dry hair in the long run. Maybe I just tried the wrong products and silicones were not the problem, who knows.
I get similar result with silicone creams. I don't like how they feel, they dry my skin and cause all types of problems.

I'm not against silicones in principle, but prefere my shampoos (and conditioners) silicone-free. I cannot even remember when I would have had silicone shampoo, but I do occasionally buy a conditioner with silicone, which I would then use very rarely. Silicones in S+C build up fast and I don't like how they make my hair feel usually. The idea of having a silicone layer on my sensitive scalp is off-putting. I am most likely seen using silicone in a smoothing lotion form, that suits my hair and scalp well. But even that is a very rare for me, I've had the same bottle of that lotion for probably 5 years and it's not empty yet, lol. My hair doesn't seem to benefit from cones in general.

My shampoo (and conditioner) doesn't have silicone, but that was more of a side effect of wanting something free from sulfates and parabens and trying to find something that didn't smell too strongly and "fake" for my taste (no artificial fragrance in it either). I works very well for my hair, so why not :shrug: Bit pricey though.

I do tend to avoid cones in general, but it's not a hard rule for me, so when I can't afford my regular ones due to whatever reasons, I just buy whatever cheapish shampoo/conditioner I can find.

It's a nope nope for me also. Cones in shampoo somehow make my hair greasier and I get scalp issues and cones in conditioner make my hair great for a day or two but it also causes a moisture barrier and my hair dries out terribly so I generally try and stay away from them.

Nadine <3
April 18th, 2015, 06:24 PM
My scalp prefers to be clean of oils and cones so my poo is cone free.

EdG
April 18th, 2015, 06:32 PM
My current shampoo is free of silicone. I try to avoid silicone, but it is often present in shampoo.
Ed

arr
April 18th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I don't like silicone in shampoo because I feel like it weighs my hair down and defeats the purpose of getting it really clean and removing residue. In fact my hair prefers no silicones at all but if I had to pick, I'd rather they be in the conditioner.

gthlvrmx
April 18th, 2015, 06:56 PM
I try my best to stay away from silicones at all times. Being silicone free was one of the first things I learned about hair when I found this place (at least I think so but my memory is fuzzy) and I found the information about people using silicones over time to be true for me. All my shampoos I used before had silicones and my hair was really dry. Shampoo in general really dries my hair out too much for my liking, but I do remember that the day I would go get my hair trimmed, the stylist would put something in my hair that would make it feel so smooth and perfect. Then I would wash it around the same day with shampoo only and my hair turned drier and drier. By the next 2 weeks, my hair felt so bad compared to how it was at the salon. The only way it got back to that silky feeling would be to go to the salon and get that stuff they would put in it. After going silicone free, I saw how much more drier my hair really was. I only started using conditioner when I joined LHC, before that it was just shampoo all my life. Now my hair actually is close to the silky hair.

I don't know for sure if silicones really dry your hair out, but my hair felt really dry when I used shampoos with silicones in it.

Syaoransbear
April 18th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I avoid it. It doesn't really make sense to me. Isn't it basically 'protecting' your hair from the conditioner?

Larki
April 18th, 2015, 07:06 PM
To be honest, I've never seen any shampoos that contain cones! And I've used some really heavy coney conditioners!

divinedobbie
April 18th, 2015, 07:43 PM
For everyone who is saying that their shampoo doesn't have silicones, did you actually read the bottle and check?

Because I just checked 7 different shampoos (between me and my roommates) and every single shampoo (including three sulfate free ones, excluding the clarifying shampoo) had at least one silicone.

ETA: Just checked through 7 of the pantene shampoo lines ](just because that's the brand I've started using most recently plus they actually have product ingredients right on their website which I love since most brands hide the ingredients) and only 2 of the lines who proclaimed right on the front of the bottle that they were "silicone free" didn't have silicones, all the rest did.

endlessly
April 18th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I've been avoiding silicones for about one year now and it's mainly like you had said, it always made my hair feel oilier faster. Also, as disgusting as this sounds, it left a really thick residue on my scalp that only the most abrasive clarifying shampoo was strong enough to remove, but that in turn would leave my hair feeling dry and brittle which I would then have to use a silicone-heavy conditioner to battle...basically, it was a never-ending cycle of hair torture.

Now that I'm not using any silicones, I've learned to be gentler with my hair and use products that really provide nourishment and moisture versus ones that just mask damage. All in all, I'm much happier now with the health of my hair by going silicone-free.

pixiepaws
April 19th, 2015, 01:11 AM
I use Silicones in shampoo as I find I get less knotting . I don't wash with a SLS shampoo each wash, only when my hair needs a deep clean, when I do I use one with silicones in and my hair feels squeaky clean even after the conditioner. I would hate to think what my hair would be like without it! I would imagine a dry knotty mess.

Yarrow
April 19th, 2015, 01:32 AM
Divinedobble, ha that's interesting. Could you list the hidden silicones names? Is it something like polyquats? Are they considered silicones?

I have to join the chorus. I would and have used silicone products in a pinch but otherwise I make an effort to buy siliconefree because of buildup, greasiness and it's just easier to manage my hair in the long run.

catasa
April 19th, 2015, 03:25 AM
I don´t use silicones at all in any products - I really dislike the plasticky, coated feeling my hair gets with silicones. Feels like Barbie hair (the tangly, kind of sticky hair of a really old and well-used Barbie! :p ) That said though, I have only tried a very few silicone products since I raísed my "hair awareness" by starting to hang out here on LHC, so maybe I just was unlucky in the products I chose. But I have no wish to experiment with them anymore right now at least, my hair is buildup-prone like completely crazy, and although that wouldn´t necessarily be worse with coney products I would be scared of them anyway...

Ashenputtel
April 19th, 2015, 03:40 AM
I avoid silicone in my shampoos. I'm actually much more picky with my shampoos than with my conditionners. I need something that rinses clean and leaves absolutely no buildup on the scalp

Panth
April 19th, 2015, 03:48 AM
I don't like silicones in my shampoo (I've done this for years, long before I even knew about silicones - I just knew that with my then-usual Pantene the pearlescent shampoos (which tend to be moisturising/damage-repair ones and tend to contain 'cones) worked less well for me than the translucent ones (which tend to be light/low ingredient and without 'cones) worked better.

That said, I love 'cones in my conditioner. My length needs them. My scalp does not. Currently, I use a product with amodimethicone. As I'm sulphate-free (due to it causing scalp dryness/scaling) I use cocoamidopropyl betaine-containing shampoos.

lapushka
April 19th, 2015, 05:24 AM
For everyone who is saying that their shampoo doesn't have silicones, did you actually read the bottle and check?

Because I just checked 7 different shampoos (between me and my roommates) and every single shampoo (including three sulfate free ones, excluding the clarifying shampoo) had at least one silicone.

ETA: Just checked through 7 of the pantene shampoo lines ](just because that's the brand I've started using most recently plus they actually have product ingredients right on their website which I love since most brands hide the ingredients) and only 2 of the lines who proclaimed right on the front of the bottle that they were "silicone free" didn't have silicones, all the rest did.

Wanna share which are the silicone-free ones. I'm just wondering. :D

Arctic
April 19th, 2015, 06:35 AM

Yes ofcourse. In Finland you can easily find silicone-free shampoos (and conditioners), plus I am used to reading INCI lists. I was aware of silicones long before I found LHC, and even though I wasn't very good at reading INCIs back then, I always tried to choose ones that said silicone free, so my preference for silicone free shampoos and conditioners goes back a long time.

lapushka
April 19th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Yep, checked mine. The Pantene Aqua Light, Clarifying shampoo (the old clear bottle), volumizing shampoo are without silicones. As far as I could tell. My Garnier Ultra Doux shampoos, some are, some aren't. I change them up with the Pantene AL a lot, so I don't have silicones on my scalp every week.

hennalonghair
April 19th, 2015, 06:52 AM

Well of course!!! I read them before I purchase. How else would I know what's in them?

I've been avoiding silicones for about one year now and it's mainly like you had said, it always made my hair feel oilier faster. Also, as disgusting as this sounds, it left a really thick residue on my scalp that only the most abrasive clarifying shampoo was strong enough to remove, but that in turn would leave my hair feeling dry and brittle which I would then have to use a silicone-heavy conditioner to battle...basically, it was a never-ending cycle of hair torture.

Now that I'm not using any silicones, I've learned to be gentler with my hair and use products that really provide nourishment and moisture versus ones that just mask damage. All in all, I'm much happier now with the health of my hair by going silicone-free.
You know I wrote about this shortly after joining this site in one of the threads I started and almost got boo'ed off the site.
Many people who use silicones do not want to hear that the very products they are using are what is making their hair dry and frizzy. They just use more silicine based serums because it's a quick fix. Because they see it instantly working they assume that it must be good. I'm happy to read this thread and see that most of you have come to the same conclusion.

lapushka
April 19th, 2015, 07:19 AM
You know I wrote about this shortly after joining this site in one of the threads I started and almost got boo'ed off the site.
Many people who use silicones do not want to hear that the very products they are using are what is making their hair dry and frizzy. They just use more silicine based serums because it's a quick fix. Because they see it instantly working they assume that it must be good. I'm happy to read this thread and see that most of you have come to the same conclusion.

Sorry but it's more of a YMMV thing, IMO. Silicones aren't drying for everyone. In fact, I hate them in my shampoos, but I *love* them in my conditioners, because they make my hair less tangle-prone, and soft, and smooth. And I LOVE my silicone-serum.

Nadine <3
April 19th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Well of course!!! I read them before I purchase. How else would I know what's in them?

Sorry but it's more of a YMMV thing, IMO. Silicones aren't drying for everyone. In fact, I hate them in my shampoos, but I *love* them in my conditioners, because they make my hair less tangle-prone, and soft, and smooth. And I LOVE my silicone-serum.

I'm with Lapushka on this! Just because I avoid silicone in my shampoo, doesn't mean I don't use them in my condish! My favorite conditioner has cones (water soluble) and I use a serum with cones in my rotation. When I was cone free I had really soft moisturized hair, but I also had mad splits and breakage. Adding cones back in stopped the damage and my hair is still soft and moisturized. I clarify and do a cone free deep treatment once a week and then do an S&D session directly after while my hair is "naked" so I know it's not just the cones masking damage. My fine hair just needs cones.

lapushka
April 19th, 2015, 10:37 AM
My fine hair just needs cones.

I have F hair too. I think it's especially great for us fineys because it gives some oomph and "strength" to the hair that it wouldn't otherwise get. But I do not like them in my shampoo; I still need something to clarify with and it's too moisturizing/smoothing for the scalp (my scalp in any case).

divinedobbie
April 19th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Divinedobble, ha that's interesting. Could you list the hidden silicones names? Is it something like polyquats? Are they considered silicones?

I have to join the chorus. I would and have used silicone products in a pinch but otherwise I make an effort to buy siliconefree because of buildup, greasiness and it's just easier to manage my hair in the long run.

None of the silicones in those shampoos were the tricky hidden ones. Most of the shampoos contained either Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, or Bisaminopropyl-dimethicone. I'm not sure if polyquats are considered silicones, I've always thought of them just as a cationic surfactant but I don't know the real answer to be honest. I would love if someone else could chime in on this.

Wanna share which are the silicone-free ones. I'm just wondering. :D

Of the ones I checked, aqua light and ice shine had no silicones (and were the ones that specifically advertised that they were silicone free so I would hope they weren't lying :D), I do believe that those two lines are the one you use right lapushka? :). The other pantene shampoos I checked were beautiful lengths, full and strong, moisture renewal, smooth & sleek, and endless ends and they all contained silicones.

Yes ofcourse. In Finland you can easily find silicone-free shampoos (and conditioners), plus I am used to reading INCI lists. I was aware of silicones long before I found LHC, and even though I wasn't very good at reading INCIs back then, I always tried to choose ones that said silicone free, so my preference for silicone free shampoos and conditioners goes back a long time.

Didn't mean to question either of you, sorry if I came across like that :flower: I was just very genuinely surprised myself at how many of the shampoos I checked had silicones. I definitely expected the sulfate free ones to also be silicone free and was very surprised that they were not.

Yep, checked mine. The Pantene Aqua Light, Clarifying shampoo (the old clear bottle), volumizing shampoo are without silicones. As far as I could tell. My Garnier Ultra Doux shampoos, some are, some aren't. I change them up with the Pantene AL a lot, so I don't have silicones on my scalp every week.

I am seriously thinking about trying either the aqua light or ice shine now simply because apparently I've never used a shampoo without silicones (thought my sulfate free ones were but they aren't).
Actually just checked the old formula for my sulfate free shampoo (L'oreal ever creme nutrition) and it does not have silicones!! But I bought the L'oreal ever creme intense nutrition (almost exactly same bottle) last time by accident and my hair wasn't happy with it, and apparently it does have silicones. :hmm:

I have F hair too. I think it's especially great for us fineys because it gives some oomph and "strength" to the hair that it wouldn't otherwise get. But I do not like them in my shampoo; I still need something to clarify with and it's too moisturizing/smoothing for the scalp (my scalp in any case).

I think this is super interesting. I had always typed myself as a finey but when I had my hair analysis done only 25% of my hair was fine so I switched to M. However, Wendy recommended avoiding silicones for fine or thin hair. That's why I originally went silicone free. And while I really like the pantene moisture renewal line that is chock full of silicones, my hair also didn't mind being silicone free (when I was using the other l'oreal ever creme shampoo) so I'm undecided on the whole cone thing. I did have very healthy thick blunt hair when I used tons of cones in the past so they can't possibly be bad (at least for me, YMMV).

PS. This is the first multi-quote post that's ever worked for me. Yay! I finally know how to multi-quote!

Halliday
April 19th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I avoid all silicones.

Marika
April 19th, 2015, 11:40 AM

I agree 100 %. And there are a lot of people who can't really read INCI lists. Or understand how ingredients work. Are you sure it's the silicone making your hair dry and coated? There are many conditioners (cone-free too) which have for example synthetic waxes. I'm pretty sure they cause a lot more buildup than cones, especially water-soluble ones. But use what you want. Cones aren't better than cone-free. Cone-free isn't better than cones.

lapushka
April 19th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Of the ones I checked, aqua light and ice shine had no silicones (and were the ones that specifically advertised that they were silicone free so I would hope they weren't lying :D), I do believe that those two lines are the one you use right lapushka? :). The other pantene shampoos I checked were beautiful lengths, full and strong, moisture renewal, smooth & sleek, and endless ends and they all contained silicones.

The Aqua Light is the only one I use. The Ice Shine was on sale at our discount store, but when mom got there, it wasn't on the shelves. She went and checked a couple of times, but they didn't have it in stock after all. So no, haven't tried that one.

I am seriously thinking about trying either the aqua light or ice shine now simply because apparently I've never used a shampoo without silicones (thought my sulfate free ones were but they aren't).
Actually just checked the old formula for my sulfate free shampoo (L'oreal ever creme nutrition) and it does not have silicones!! But I bought the L'oreal ever creme intense nutrition (almost exactly same bottle) last time by accident and my hair wasn't happy with it, and apparently it does have silicones. :hmm:

Maybe it's something to be on the lookout for! The silicones in your shampoo. I don't find my hair to be protesting too too much whenever I do wash with a silicone shampoo, but the one I have now is from Ultra Doux and they are not heavy on the silicones, if they have them. Fructis is way worse!

I think this is super interesting. I had always typed myself as a finey but when I had my hair analysis done only 25% of my hair was fine so I switched to M. However, Wendy recommended avoiding silicones for fine or thin hair. That's why I originally went silicone free. And while I really like the pantene moisture renewal line that is chock full of silicones, my hair also didn't mind being silicone free (when I was using the other l'oreal ever creme shampoo) so I'm undecided on the whole cone thing. I did have very healthy thick blunt hair when I used tons of cones in the past so they can't possibly be bad (at least for me, YMMV).

Maybe switch it up? Wash silicone-free one time, and with silicones the other. That's what I do, although I switch it up more, say 3 silicone-free washes to one silicone one.

Cones aren't better than cone-free. Cone-free isn't better than cones.

Oh that's *so* true! :D

hanne jensen
April 19th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I avoid cones in my poo. I suffered from clogged follicles in 2012 and swore to myself never again. I honestly can't see why cones are in poo. Poo should clean the scalp and hair and nothing else. I do use conditioners with light cones. To be sure that none are on my scalp I'll wash my scalp with poo while rinsing conditioner out of my hair.

lazuliblue
April 19th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I generally CO-wash, so I mostly use silicone-free conditioner to wash, but every so often I use shampoo, also silicone free. I'm probably just imagining things, but I feel like my hair is more natural without silicones as it isn't coated in them and so I can't tell more easily the actual condition of my hair.

meteor
April 19th, 2015, 01:02 PM
I love cones in conditioners/masks, but in shampoo, it depends...

If I want volume or I want to stretch washes or if I'm doing a scalp-only wash, I want it as clarifying as possible (it's diluted with water and applied only to scalp with length dry and hidden under shower cap), so no cones and not many conditioning ingredients for me there.

But sometimes my hair feels very dry, or the winter is super-harsh, or I go swimming frequently, or it's windy and I just want extra protection for my hair, then I go for conditioning shampoos with cones (especially amodimethicone) and coney conditioner, too. Yes, with cones, my roots get shiny and/or coated faster, but that works well with my hairtype and my scalp doesn't react to cones & oils. There are a few products (by Garnier Fructis and Kerastase, I believe) that gave me great results while containing cones. :shrug:
I find I tend to rotate coney and cone-free products quite a bit.

In general, though, I don't really mind either way as long as I get good results. But if your skin/scalp react to silicones, they should be avoided.

Yarrow
April 19th, 2015, 01:12 PM
None of the silicones in those shampoos were the tricky hidden ones. Most of the shampoos contained either Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, or Bisaminopropyl-dimethicone. I'm not sure if polyquats are considered silicones, I've always thought of them just as a cationic surfactant but I don't know the real answer to be honest. I would love if someone else could chime in on this.
Oh ok, the way I check for cones is just looking if something ends with a -cone or not. I guess that probably won't detect the hidden ones. I have had really bad long term experiences with dimethcone, so it's a big no-no for me in shampoos. I do use deposit dyes containing it without problems.Yes, it would be wonderful if someone could be so kind and explain. This is a subject that is a bit confusing for me.

lapushka
April 19th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Oh ok, the way I check for cones is just looking if something ends with a -cone or not. I guess that probably won't detect the hidden ones. I have had really bad long term experiences with dimethcone, so it's a big no-no for me in shampoos. I do use deposit dyes containing it without problems.Yes, it would be wonderful if someone could be so kind and explain. This is a subject that is a bit confusing for me.

There's a cone not ending in -cone called cyclopentasiloxane (-xane). Might want to look for that as well. :)

Yarrow
April 19th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Thank you for the heads up, lapushka. It's not in my current one, but for the future it is definitely good to know.

cathair
April 19th, 2015, 01:56 PM

I've found similar.

I find often if a conditioner claims to be silicone free or more natural, the matching shampoo will have silicone in it instead. The Loreal Ever### lines are a good example of this. They make big claims about the conditioner being cone free, but the shampoo isn't. Where it says silicone free on the conditioner, it says sulphate free on the shampoo, which throws you off the scent a bit unless you look really closely.

My Ojon Detox (clarifying shampoo) has them, I think the normal shampoo does as well. I'm sure there are more I've found, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

meteor
April 19th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Here is a pretty good list of silicones, listed by solubility:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

meteor
April 19th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I've found similar.

I find often if a conditioner claims to be silicone free or more natural, the matching shampoo will have silicone in it instead. The Loreal Ever### lines are a good example of this. They make big claims about the conditioner being cone free, but the shampoo isn't. Where it says silicone free on the conditioner, it says sulphate free on the shampoo, which throws you off the scent a bit unless you look really closely.

My Ojon Detox (clarifying shampoo) has them, I think the normal shampoo does as well. I'm sure there are more I've found, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Wow, even a clarifying "detox" shampoo with cones? I guess that's another reason not to bother reading marketing claims/label. I always shop by turning over all bottles and scanning ingredients - I don't even know names of most of my products anymore, just the main ingredients I'm after. :lol:

Daylilly
April 19th, 2015, 03:31 PM
I accidently got a shampoo with silicone in it when I was first looking for sulfate free. I was surprised, why would there be silicone in a sulfate free shampoo? I still haven't used it all yet but I can't throw the stuff away so I will use it up and read the back of bottles more carefully.

jeanniet
April 19th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I avoid silicones like the plague simple because even the more soluble ones don't play well with my hair, but since I rarely shampoo that aspect isn't a big deal for me. I do read labels, but pretty much always buy the same conditioner so unless they change formulation it's not a big worry.

rags
April 19th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I will go against the grain and admit that my shampoo has dimethicone in it - and I'll never switch as long as they don't reformulate it! And when they do, I'll probably look for another with some sort of cone in it.

My hair is super baby-fine, getting wavier by the day, and tangles at the drop of a hat. The silicone allows me to wash my hair without it tangling into a snarled mess. When I use silicone-free shampoos, I tend to lose MUCH more hair (and I don't need that! :p ). It just give it some slip while washing, which my hair likes. Any washing method that requires me to manipulate my hair much (CO, shampoo bars), causes me to shed horribly. My hair just doesn't play well when it is wet!

Plus there is the simple fact that this is the ONLY shampoo I have found in several years of looking (because it's a saline brand and expensive, so I'd prefer to find a cheaper alternative, but can't) that my hair, asthma and allergies all are happy with. I hoard it like a dragon for fear of the dreaded reformulation! :lol:

divinedobbie
April 19th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I accidently got a shampoo with silicone in it when I was first looking for sulfate free. I was surprised, why would there be silicone in a sulfate free shampoo? I still haven't used it all yet but I can't throw the stuff away so I will use it up and read the back of bottles more carefully.

Yes, yes and yes! I just thought that logically a sulfate free shampoo wouldn't have silicones. Boy, was I wrong.

I will go against the grain and admit that my shampoo has dimethicone in it - and I'll never switch as long as they don't reformulate it! And when they do, I'll probably look for another with some sort of cone in it.

My hair is super baby-fine, getting wavier by the day, and tangles at the drop of a hat. The silicone allows me to wash my hair without it tangling into a snarled mess. When I use silicone-free shampoos, I tend to lose MUCH more hair (and I don't need that! :p ). It just give it some slip while washing, which my hair likes. Any washing method that requires me to manipulate my hair much (CO, shampoo bars), causes me to shed horribly. My hair just doesn't play well when it is wet!

Plus there is the simple fact that this is the ONLY shampoo I have found in several years of looking (because it's a saline brand and expensive, so I'd prefer to find a cheaper alternative, but can't) that my hair, asthma and allergies all are happy with. I hoard it like a dragon for fear of the dreaded reformulation! :lol:

What is this highly praised shampoo you speak of? If you don't mind sharing the name :)

rags
April 19th, 2015, 06:40 PM
What is this highly praised shampoo you speak of? If you don't mind sharing the name :)

It's Redken Moisture (can't use their other shampoos - just that one. ). I had the first successful shampoo oil with it, so several people did try it in that thread, and I know of at least a couple that still use it. They tend to have hair and scalp that doesn't mind cones (surprisingly, my hair doesn't like a lot of cones but the amount in this shampoo is ok), and usually fine hair. :shrug: I also know a couple of other people who hated it, so as always YMMV.

My daughter however, who has fine, wavy hair (but not baby-fine like mine!) - hates it with a passion. :p You just never know.

*ReiKa*
April 19th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I strongly avoid shampoos with cones. There's no point whatsoever in having silicones in shampoo, a product that should clean and clarify your scalp, cones would be just an useless addition that will make your scalp greasier.
I do understand cones in conditioners and serums (even though I don't like cones even there) but in shampoos?!?!

spidermom
April 19th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I have no idea.

slynr
April 19th, 2015, 07:24 PM
So, after finding lhc I switched to no cone shampoo and conditioner. I have very fine hair and the switch did enhance my texture and made it a bit more full but I've struggled with tangles pretty consistently the whole time. I have finally given on and went back to cones...I'm using aveda and the shampoo and conditioner have cones in them. It has reduced my tangles 98%.

YMMV, but for me the reduced mechanical damage cones bring are worth it.

Yarrow
April 20th, 2015, 12:27 AM
Here is a pretty good list of silicones, listed by solubility:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html
This list is fantastic! Thank you very much. I did do a double take when I saw hydrolysed wheat protein on it though. But now my understanding is that there are two different things: hydrolysed wheat protein, which is just a protein and then a silicone which is added to the Hwp. Since my shampoo just states Hwp, I am just assuming it's the protein one and not the silicone.

Panth
April 20th, 2015, 01:38 AM
This list is fantastic! Thank you very much. I did do a double take when I saw hydrolysed wheat protein on it though. But now my understanding is that there are two different things: hydrolysed wheat protein, which is just a protein and then a silicone which is added to the Hwp. Since my shampoo just states Hwp, I am just assuming it's the protein one and not the silicone.

The 'cone is hydrolysed wheat protein hydroxypropyl polysiloxane. Lots of those lists of 'cones just say 'hydrolysed wheat protein', though, which is incorrect. It's not the same thing.

Rosetta
April 20th, 2015, 01:50 AM
I usually avoid cones in shampoo, though I mostly prefer them in my conditioner. But if I happen to find a shampoo that I otherwise like a lot and it happens to have cones, I'd still probably use it, though not for two washes in a row, to avoid buildup.

(Now that I'm on a shampoo bar trial, things are a bit different though, as I avoid overdosing cones in conditioners, too.)

pixiepaws
April 20th, 2015, 03:23 AM
This thread has helped me . I know its about no silicones in shampoo but it has just occurred to me that I could use a cone free condish in place of a shampoo and try co-washing again. I do not get on with no cones in shampoo or conditioner, but trying a silicone free conditioner might help cut down on silicones a bit. I love cones but it still causes build up.

lapushka
April 20th, 2015, 06:03 AM
I'm glad you found help here, pixiepaws, and I hope CO-washing works out for you! :)

MsVenus
April 20th, 2015, 06:11 AM
I co-wash, condition, deep condition and leave in all with cone filled conditioners. So basically, I can use a few coney conditioners for everything! Co-wash with a cheap one from the dollar store, dc with a good protein conditioner, recondition with a thick, heavy moisturizing, coney conditioner. Do a baptismal dunk under the shower to take out some of it, leaving in the bulk of it as a thick leave in conditioner. Then just air dry.
This routine of conditioner only works great for my hair type since my hair and scalp never get oily on their own.