PDA

View Full Version : One Style for Days? Bad or Okay?

Eichan
April 18th, 2015, 01:09 PM
So, I learnt the glorious helix bun a couple days ago...

It has held so well that I haven't taken it down. It's still up there. I even sleep in it.

Is this okay? Is wearing one style, no styling
styling products, for a few days at a time good or bad? Some one on... the benign neglect, I think... the had said they would wash and braid their hair once a week and it wouldn't be touched otherwise...

meteor
April 18th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Congratulations on accomplishing such a complex and super-gorgeous style! :applause
I think it's perfectly fine to wear the same style more than one day, if your scalp is feeling absolutely fine. Just make sure you *really* listen to your scalp. If it gets sore or starts pulling or something, I'd take it down right away and massage the scalp a bit and change the style.
To preserve a complex style overnight, use a wave cap or a satin/silk sleep cap or just wrap your style in silky material.
HTH! :flower:

lapushka
April 18th, 2015, 01:53 PM
You have to let your scalp "breathe" a bit. This means at least taking it down for a few hours every 24h. I have my style in during the day, but during the night and my hours of rest, my hair is loose in bed. It's not that great for there to be tension on the follicles 24/7. I wear a LWB all the time, every day, every week, but at night, my scalp/hair rest.

hinabelle
April 18th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I wear a claw clip every day. My hair is only down in the morning when I comb it and
at night when I comb it. I then bun or braid it and put a sleep bonnet over it. :) I really
don't think there's a problem with it, as some people (me, before finding this site) will
wear their hair down the same way every day, or a ponytail every day, etc. I find it
easy to maintain this way.

Nique1202
April 18th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I'd go with meteor and say that if your scalp starts feeling bad or weird at all (pulls on any hairs/sections, painful, achy, itchy, etc.) then you'll want to take it down. Your follicles may hurt a little when you do take it down, because they're now used to being in position for that style, but women historically wore their hair in the same style all the time between their washes, and the Amish still do. It can't be all bad.

MINAKO
April 18th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I would be afraid that my hair gets matted, but if you are absolutely sure your hairtype doesnt i would go with meteor suggestion as well.

CousinItt
April 18th, 2015, 11:16 PM
You can absolutely keep your hair in a style for a few days, or even weeks. It's actually a fairly common practice in the natural hair community to protect the hair. I do it often with my more complicated braided styles. The only reason I take my hair down after a couple of days is because it's gotten too fuzzy for my liking (my scalp tolerates being ignored for a number of days) You just may need to do a thorough scritch and preen after you take it down.

meteor I'll have to try the silky hair wrap advice. Maybe I can keep a style for a day or two longer.

gthlvrmx
April 18th, 2015, 11:34 PM
It's totally fine. If your scalp starts feeling itchy in a certain spot, or you feel it gets sore in certain areas, then definitely take it down and massage your scalp. I have read of a member here with really long hair (ankle or floor length) who said she got to that length after wearing her hair up in a braid or bun on top of her head. It would only come down for a once or twice a week wash. After I read that, I tried it but I do remember I got a sore scalp where my bun would rest on. Other than that, you are fine.

Yarrow
April 19th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Like others said, it should be totally fine as long as your scalp isn't feeling sore or anything.
Personally, I would find a few alternate styles to switch up every few weeks or so. But that's only because I am a bit paranoid about traction alopecia. But I think you would have to wear exactly the same style for many long years and apply tension for that to happen.

Seeshami
April 19th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I take my hair down and re do it between awake and sleeping. I also generally have to re do it once during the day but other then that I am almost doing the same thing and have been. But his highness slips imprisonment devices so I do have issues.

Hairkay
April 19th, 2015, 10:23 AM
I'm one of those that leaves a hairstyle for the whole week. Most weeks it's plaits/braids/flatwists. My hair ends gets dry and fragile very quickly so the less I do to it the better. Since I water wash 3-6 times a week by the end of the week it's gone fuzzy but my hair is the frizzy type anyway. It gets put in a satin cap for nights.