PDA

View Full Version : How to protect delicate baby hairs/new growth

Zesty
April 16th, 2015, 04:19 PM
So I know some "baby" hairs just have a short terminal length and that's that, but I think I've got some new growth coming in and I was wondering what people do to try to protect shorter hairs along the hairline/nape. They're harder to put away in updos and into my sleep bonnet, and they tend to get blown around by the wind, rubbed on things, caught on things, etc., and I really want to give them the best chance to grow longer. Best I can think of is to use a BBB to try to smooth them into buns so that they're not so loose and mischievous.

How do you/would you baby your baby hairs?

gthlvrmx
April 16th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Have you tried using a silk pillowcase? Or maybe a satin one? They work very well for when you are sleeping. I CO wash which has helped keep my baby hairs from drying out and the baby oil I do after every wash has really been a good benefit to my short hairs. So maybe baby oil your baby hairs might help?

brickworld13
April 16th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I have no suggestions. I just wear a lot of headbands and wait for them to be log enough to stay securely in updos. I also happen to look rather ridiculous with my choices so you may not like them.

MINAKO
April 16th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I use a solid oil on my baby hair and then nail these buggers down with a goat hair brush. I don't like the feeling of BBBs directly on my scalp.

Nadine <3
April 16th, 2015, 04:33 PM
For special occasions I apply flax seed gel to my damp baby hair to smooth them into my updo. I don't mind my baby hairs floating all over the place, but the gel really helps keep them from going all over, you could try that.

Zesty
April 16th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Have you tried using a silk pillowcase? Or maybe a satin one? They work very well for when you are sleeping. I CO wash which has helped keep my baby hairs from drying out and the baby oil I do after every wash has really been a good benefit to my short hairs. So maybe baby oil your baby hairs might help?

I double up with a silk bonnet and a silk pillowcase, because I am a princess. :p But I feel like they're getting ground around while I toss and turn anyway. I've never really oiled my baby hairs though, so thanks!

I have no suggestions. I just wear a lot of headbands and wait for them to be log enough to stay securely in updos. I also happen to look rather ridiculous with my choices so you may not like them.

See above. If I can wear a silk bonnet without shame then some headbands shouldn't be a problem! I might have to get some more, I only really have one presentable one.

gthlvrmx
April 16th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I double up with a silk bonnet and a silk pillowcase, because I am a princess. :p But I feel like they're getting ground around while I toss and turn anyway. I've never really oiled my baby hairs though, so thanks!

Oh perfect! Yes, oiling may help. Maybe you can make or get some headband that is made out of silk to wear during the day? It might be slippery though :p But a headband would be good to keep baby hairs from going everywhere.

Arctic
April 16th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I would avoid styling products that get hard, like gels, until the hairs are stronger and longer. Also would avoid metal hair bands.

Congrats on new growth!!!

Zesty
April 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM
I would avoid styling products that get hard, like gels, until the hairs are stronger and longer. Also would avoid metal hair bands.

Congrats on new growth!!!
Thank you! I'm pretty sure it's new growth, anyway, because judging from old pictures my hairline has filled in a lot.

I wouldn't mind so much if they *didn't* grow longer because they admittedly provide some softness to updos, but I'd rather they not break off unnecessarily. Thank you everyone for the ideas. :)

Zesty
April 19th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Oh perfect! Yes, oiling may help. Maybe you can make or get some headband that is made out of silk to wear during the day? It might be slippery though :p But a headband would be good to keep baby hairs from going everywhere.

Thank you for the idea, googling it led me to this: http://www.keikolynn.com/2011/07/head-scarf-tutorial.html?m=1. I think something like that would be great to protect my nape hairs, and it'd be something different/cute as well as being hair-friendly. :)

gthlvrmx
April 19th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Thank you for the idea, googling it led me to this: http://www.keikolynn.com/2011/07/head-scarf-tutorial.html?m=1. I think something like that would be great to protect my nape hairs, and it'd be something different/cute as well as being hair-friendly. :)

That is super cute! I like it!

vani
January 26th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Hi
in my point of view maybe can put some olive oil in the baby head...and we also can try to put baby headbands it also will look cute.

:)