PDA

View Full Version : Indian hair oiling

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Mindless browsing often leads to new questions. Am i doing it wrong??
As you can see in the video the woman gets a bucketload of oil in her hair, the uploaded says its pure coconut oil. Now, i dont really question the general indian expertise on haircare and it seems to be common practise, at least as an in salon treatment. Any of you guys tried this? Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/LNGHCr2M40U

chantecler
April 15th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Wow, and here I thought my oilings were heavy! I surely don't put as much as her, but I do get my hair completely soaked in oil. I laughed a whole lot when I saw people saying your hair should only be shiny from the oil, not clumping. I find that my results are more consistent this way, since I know ALL of my hair will get the treatment.

Larki
April 15th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Wow, and here I thought my oilings were heavy! I surely don't put as much as her, but I do get my hair completely soaked in oil. I laughed a whole lot when I saw people saying your hair should only be shiny from the oil, not clumping. I find that my results are more consistent this way, since I know ALL of my hair will get the treatment.

This is how I do my oiling, too. I oil the length and put it up and no one knows the difference. ;)

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 08:39 PM
I know, it seems so excessive when i look at myself and consider 8 tablespoons heavy. But there must be a reason why they do it like this. I mean its dripping down her skin, ruining her clothes and all, if less would get the job done then why all the hassle. I really want to know. Actually im not far from killing an entire bottle of oil tomorrow myself.

chantecler
April 15th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I'd advice a good shower cap, and a good shampoo! I've had an awfull experience recently with a heavy oiling and a new, apparently quite weak, shampoo bar... :undecided

Nadine <3
April 15th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I feel like the amount he used was excessive and why so much on the scalp!? I've warmed up coconut oil on a mug before and then dipped my ends in it till they where drippy with oil and the results where good, but I'd never dump it on my already greasy head like that...seems wasteful to me.

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 08:55 PM
I will se if i can manage to baggy it for half an hour. As for the shampoo i have to pass entirely since i CO wash, i expect to waste a hell lot of conditioner but thats ok for an expiriment. I will use one cup, half coconut, half almond on dry hair and see if i notice any difference. Omg, oil wrestlers must have amazing hair now that i think about it. :D

Colochita
April 15th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I used to do this with extra virgin olive oil every night. I had acne around my hairline constantly. I stopped pretty quickly.

spidermom
April 15th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Who am I to judge, but it looks like total overkill to me. A lot of it seems to be going to waste, just dripping off.

My scalp area gets oily pretty quickly all by itself. That's when I oil the length. I get my length about as oily as my scalp area, which involves about 1/2 tablespoon of oil, maybe 1 tablespoon. I never actually measure it. But I massage and comb it through all my hair.

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 09:21 PM
I have to oil my scalp as a pree poo because my sebum is more on the waxy side, so the oils helps to dissolve it. of course everything that drips off goes unused down the drain. But im thinking if more molecules mean more penetration as well. With water its quite obvious how different hair reacts in swelling when its totally drenched vs. lightly misted.
Im always thinking i should try at least once if it cant do any harm.

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I used to do this with extra virgin olive oil every night. I had acne around my hairline constantly. I stopped pretty quickly.

Every night?? O_o Wow, that must have been alot of oil. But aside from breaking out, did your hair like it?

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I have considered pouring oil over my hair before but it seems a bit wasteful and expensive. That said I do thoroughly saturate my hair and scalp as a pre-poo treatment most times to make sure every strand is covered. I think if you are willing to use up that much oil then give it a go and see how it turns out.

Beborani
April 15th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Looking at titles of videos on this site--it looks like some ****** site and I doubt these girls know they are being exploited in this fashion. As far as oiling, no one does it like this at home--yes oil is applied from scalp to tip but in a controlled fashion. Also, the girl has never done it before from her conversation and is wondering how she is going to get it all out--not sure why she is here other than to be filmed for this site (which she may not know about or understand).

Colochita
April 15th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Every night?? O_o Wow, that must have been alot of oil. But aside from breaking out, did your hair like it?

Ha ha, yup! I had just cut off all my hair and had about half an inch. All I knew was that 'black hair likes EVOO'. And my hair did like it. :) My face did not. Luckily I've found better ways to oil.

MINAKO
April 16th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Beborani, the uploader is apparently a long haired girl herself, so i'm not sure why she would chose to put the ******ization over the effectiveness of the method, but yeah i agree that i would be quite displeased to get at my clothes ruined when going to the hairdresser. I was just thinking that i have seen something similar before in asian spas where they use this drizlle pot. more controlled application as the person has to lay down over some type of sink, but still alot of oil.

Colochita, if your hair was very short back then at least you did have a chance to reach all the spots to wash it out again properly.
I have to postpone the expiriment because i gotta straighten my hair this weekend, so i will do the oilling afterwards on straight hair. I think i will totally oversaturate the scalp are and then dip the rest heavily into the cup as Nadine mentioned, then baggy it and keep it warm.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 16th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Im no expert, but I know from my Indian friends that they do not apply oil in that way.. maybe its different from person to person, but I think most of them apply it in a normal way ,I think the method in the video is wasting a lot of oil, which could be used for another oil treatment.. here are some videos I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hmvUMKN60

Rapunzel_to_be
April 16th, 2015, 07:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNJLu_3HZVc

Caraid♫
April 16th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Once your hair is already saturated in oil at a certain point, I can't imagine that all the excess would have any other benefit than just sitting on top and being all drippy and messy! Also probably really hard to wash out and would required harsher washing methods! Those are at least my thoughts on it, I personally can't see the benefit. I've tried fairly heavy oiling (not quite as heavy as in the video thought!) and my results were greasy limp hair even after washing. Now I keep to lighter oiling and I usually only to the bottom half of my hair, only doing the scalp if it seems dry, otherwise my roots get greasy!

Stangenlocke
April 16th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Oh my! I should NOT have watched that second video - I am practically every colour green with envy now. I did not even know that such hair actually existed. I thought that was more in the realm of cartoon and manga :disbelief

Beborani
April 16th, 2015, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=MINAKO;2989940]Beborani, the uploader is apparently a long haired girl herself, so i'm not sure why she would chose to put the ******ization over the effectiveness of the method, but yeah i agree that i would be quite displeased to get at my clothes ruined when going to the hairdresser. I was just thinking that i have seen something similar before in asian spas where they use this drizlle pot. more controlled application as the person has to lay down over some type of sink, but still alot of oil.

----

There is no long haired girl running this site--a picture and name is used but I can't find her and even there is one the videos seem to be taken by men coercing the girls into doing things--in two videos I clicked the girls were protesting but going along anyway and at least one appears to be a minor.

StarsandFire
April 16th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Apologies if my questions are ignorant. Should I be oiling if my scalp produces too much oil? Could it be possible that my hair is falling out because of this? Is coconut oil better than my natural scalp oils? If I oil my hair, do I leave it in or wash it out? Does anyone use oil instead of conditioner in the shower? How do you prevent the oil from clumping your hair into tangles?

StellaKatherine
April 16th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Putting on the scalp is too much in my oppinion too.. But for the ends I do not think it is too much. I put my hair till my ears in a bottle with coconut and then slowly with hand take the some of the oil off so that it won't drip so much. My ends LOVE that :D

MINAKO
April 16th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I backed out, lol. I really wanted to try but not invest so much time in cleaning today. I used more than twice as much as i usually would tho, 100ml combined of several oil with two measuring spoons ginseng power mixed in there, then applied in a mlre controlled manner. It actually didnt really drip. Then used my infrared device, baggied in a bun and called it a day.

meteor
April 16th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Hair is extremely good at absorbing oils (which is why human hair and fur are used for soaking up oil spills in the ocean - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8674539.stm). If you get to the point of oil dripping from hair, that's way too much, IMHO.
Even when I used a cup of oil on my hair, it would still never drip. :confused:

I think gradual oiling - adding a teaspoon here and there every other day or so - is a more reasonable technique than spending half a bottle pre-wash every time, because the action of spreading oil properly and giving it a lot of time to soak in in-between applications are pretty helpful. When I first tried pre-poo oiling, I've tried pouring oil straight from the bottle to save time, but it resulted in wasting product rather than better conditioning for my hair, to be honest.

cathair
April 16th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I've seen the video quite a long time ago (haven't re-watched it). I got the impression that she only used that much oil every 6 months or something and not in between. Can't remember how I came by that idea though.

When I pre-wash oil my hair with coconut oil, I feed it as much oil as it will take, so until it's starts dripping. Which is probably a good few tablespoons. Don't bother with my scalp any more, since I read coconut oil is comodegenic. I'd rather use almond oil if I am going to do that.

Not good with oiling my hair in between washes because firstly it looks greasy if applied all over and secondly coconut oil has a very strong smell to me, which I don't actually like (although coconut oil actually brought back from India smells better, has an incense like quality to it. Perhaps from where it is produced?).

It's not expensive, I don't used virgin coconut oil and non-virgin in blue bottles like the video is very cheap (and easy to apply). A £4 bottle has lasted me 6 months. Does need to soak in for at least 12 hours though, else it's hard for me to wash out. The entire amount will have soaked in by the morning. You can see it on my hair, but it doesn't rub off when touched.

Yarrow
April 17th, 2015, 01:07 AM
There is no long haired girl running this site--a picture and name is used but I can't find her and even there is one the videos seem to be taken by men coercing the girls into doing things--in two videos I clicked the girls were protesting but going along anyway and at least one appears to be a minor.
Woa, that is kind of freaky.
So these girls just want a salon appointment and they get randomly recorded and posted online?
That's really scary. I wouldn't want my appointment to be plastered all over the internet and random strangers commenting or worse.

I don't think you can generalise a country as big and diverse as India. There seem to be quite some regional differences regarding hair care. Some regions seem to prefer other oils such as mustard oil than coconut oil.
In some places it is totally acceptable to run around with heavily oiled hair, in others it's not.
However I do think it can make sense to oil heavily because it is quite hot and a lot of people seem to wash their hair daily. So the oil could protect from hydral fatigue, from weathering through the sun, and from drying out.

On the more general topic of oiling hair and scalp, there are so many different variations from oil rising to heavy oiling that I would be surprised if every single one works for every single person.
And the environment also plays into how much I oil my hair. In the summer it is definitely more then winter. For others it may be exactly opposite.
Yea, I think 12 hours is how long coconut oil supposedly needs to penetrate the hair shaft. At least that's the most commonly recommended time I have read about.(though some recommend 2-12 hours) I think there was a study about that.

MINAKO
April 17th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Nothing wrong with a ******, lol, but maybe they should hire some girls who do it willingly!

Anyways, i washed very quickly just now and dont notice that much of a difference, gotta see how it dries. What surprised me was that i had absolutely NO color bleeding. Usually my condish turns slightly greenish from the indigo. I always thought the more you oil the more dye gets pulled. Maybe it has to do with the amla i used all week before? Idk