PDA

View Full Version : Oil before hair dye?

Eastbound&Down
April 15th, 2015, 09:37 AM
I need to redo my color but I'm trying my hardest to avoid damage. Has anyone tried doing an oil treatment prior to dying? Does it help, or do you have any secrets to help avoid damage?

I can't do henna or most deposit only dyes because of my job. The colors are too loud and/or unpredictable. :(

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 09:40 AM
I think it common practise here to apply coconut oil before box dye to prevent damage. I don't see a way how this could go wrong, but im sure some member who have actually tried it themselves have a bit more of an in depth report to offer.

lapushka
April 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM
My mom when she dyes always lets it get as dirty as possible (her hair really doesn't go greasy as she can go a month without washing and it still looks dry). When I used to still dye and have it dyed, I would do it on greasy hair. Your own natural oils will protect you.

Anje
April 15th, 2015, 11:02 AM
I haven't, just have read a lot of anecdotes around here. :) As near as I can tell, saturating your hair with coconut oil a while beforehand and then just dyeing right over the oily hair works really well. I've heard no stories of bad results at all, and apparently the dyes do just fine on super-greasy hair.

Gaelic Girl
April 15th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I started using Aubrey's Natural organic henna, dark brown, last summer and wished I had found this years ago as the greys around my face and bangs always bothered me so much. I had a henna disaster ten years ago and lost much of my hair and had to chop 13 inches off right away, so tread lightly now. I oil my hair from the chin to the ends with coconut oil a few hours before I plan to colour. In my henna mix I add a squeeze of lemon, a Tbsp of coffee as I've heard it helps the colour adhere it has worked for me. I then apply the henna/colour to my roots. I don't need to colour the rest of my hair so don't apply colour below the chin, but I have heard that oiling does not prevent the colour from taking. I would either saturate the night before so it has time to soak in, or use less the day of dying for the same reason. As I mentioned, I use dark brown, so it is just the same as my siggie pic (bit lighter actually) and looks completely natural as I am in a professional setting too. Good luck!

WaimeaWahine
April 16th, 2015, 05:43 AM
I've always done the opposite - oil after. Because I like the color to really set and it seems like it wont do as well on follicles coated with oil. But oiling after is great. My hair is also naturally fairly greasy. Can't believe I just said that. :brains:

Arctic
April 16th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I've been using non-damaging veggie dyes (Directions) and they (both instructions and users) say hair needs to be squeeky clean before colouring, not even conditioner should be used pre-dyeing. But the mechanisim of these types of dyes is different than more permanent type of dyes.

Rosetta
April 16th, 2015, 08:27 AM
I've actually done that many times (when I still used chemical dyes or on the occasions I tried to bleach henna off), and it works fine. No secrets there that I know of, though ;) But ask if you have any questions!

7thOfTheDamned
April 16th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I do a 6-8 hour coconut oil soak before using a bleach wash on my hair (before using a deposit-only dye) and I get pretty much no damage. I don't know how well it would work using a permanent dye - in my limited experience with box dye on oily hair, lift happens but the deposit is minimal.

Rosetta
April 16th, 2015, 09:22 AM
^ I used it with both demi-permanent and permanent dye, and as far as I remember the result was mostly good; the last time I did it it wasn't, but that may be more due to my diluting the peroxide a bit too much (to avoid damage) than anything else ;)

Forgot to say above that I soaked my hair in coconut oil 30 mins to one hour beforehand, I can't really stand longer oil soaks.

Eastbound&Down
April 16th, 2015, 01:02 PM
I'll do an overnight soak on friday night and dye on saturday to be on the safe side. I love my from-the-box red but it isn't the most friendly with my no trim challenge.
Especially now that I'm well into year 2.