PDA

View Full Version : Hair for Christmas drama/musical

Curlsgirl
October 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I am going to be playing a "Grandma" in our church Christmas play. I won't be a traditional Grandma type with frumpy clothes and a rocking chair but a modern day age 50ish one. My question is, I still want to put some gray in my hair for "effect" (my hair is highlighted with not enough gray to notice right now) and am wondering if I will have to get a wig/hairpiece or if there is some kind of temporary color I could use. The drama will run for two nights and one morning performance.

Amara
October 2nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Just use a bit of cornstarch! That works well on darker hair. I'm not sure about lighter hair. You might try it out! No damage, no worries about wigs. :)

Curlsgirl
October 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Just use a bit of cornstarch! That works well on darker hair. I'm not sure about lighter hair. You might try it out! No damage, no worries about wigs. :)

Oh great idea! I wonder if it would look natural though and gray. I'll give it a practice run!

wolf girl
October 2nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
With this being the month of Halloween, you should be able to find all kinds of costume wigs and temporary haircoloing. Just my :twocents:.

Stormsong
October 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
White mascara? Clear gel mascara with some white/silver eyemake up mixed in?

You can get stage make up which is water based (Snazoo, Aquarelle), use a sponge to get it wet enough to then use your fingers to colour white/gray streaks through your hair. That'll dry and then it should wash out easily in the shower/bath afterwards.

VanillaTresses
October 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
I would just put a lot of baby powder (or as someone else has previously suggested, cornstarch) in your hair. It does give it that "grey" look-- I have done this before for a costume. Just make sure that you wear a white shirt though! :) (Otherwise you will look like you really have some seriously BAD dandruff!)

Tapioca
October 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've used the spray-on temporary hair colors before, and they washed out fine (may need a clarifying shampoo). I'd say that they're about as bad for your hair as hairspray. Probably not the best idea for everyday use, but if it's once in a while, why not?

Curlsgirl
October 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Great ideas! I knew I came to the right place! I will look at the big Halloween store down the street. Now is definitely the time to get it!

Curlsgirl
October 2nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
White mascara? Clear gel mascara with some white/silver eyemake up mixed in?

You can get stage make up which is water based (Snazoo, Aquarelle), use a sponge to get it wet enough to then use your fingers to colour white/gray streaks through your hair. That'll dry and then it should wash out easily in the shower/bath afterwards.

Do you know if I have to order the stage makeup?