PDA

View Full Version : Hair Care while staying on an island?

Nadine <3
April 14th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone! In 4 weeks, I will be spending 2 full weeks living on an island as a camp counselor! I'm VERY excited! I've done it before, a few years ago pre LHC, and as far as hair care went, I packed shampoo, conditioner, my paddle brush, and a baggy of hair ties for pony tails. I left the island with a very, very burnt scalp and hair that was sun bleached several shades lighter than my natural color. Woops.

This year, I need to be proactive in protecting my hair (and my skin...last year I didn't even bring sunscreen lol) but I'm not sure what I should bring! I need to pack light, just because everything gets hauled over on a tiny boat (the SCOW, same boat used to haul the garbage off the island!) I don't want to have to bring lots of little pins and things that could get lost or broken, I wasn't even going to bring a hair stick to do my usual bun, I was going to bring a few pens to use, but I'm going to be doing everything from horse back riding, rock climbing, and water skiing and swimming and a stick won't fit very well under a helmet. I won't have a ton of down time to myself either so changing hair styles for different activities would be impractical.

If you could suggest an easy to do, protective style that I can wear all day and have it fit under helmets, and last threw getting soaked, probably several times daily that would be amazing, as well as something to protect my scalp from another nasty burn. I thought abought my sun hat, but it's rather bulky and hard to pack without mushing it. I'm bringing just shampoo and conditioner, maybe some coconut oil if I can figure out how to pack it without it leaking every where. If you know how to pack an oil without making a mess, let me know...last time I tried to take oil with me it melted and leaked and ended up all over my luggage...not fun.

Thanks in advance!!

yahirwaO.o
April 14th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Well a nice silk scarf or a girly bandana or a headrwrap can work against strong sun and look stylish. As far as hair, I do suggest some type of dutch braided (holds better than a regular french one on my super slipery hair) updo as a base and then morphed into lots of ways.

I like the idea of Torrinīs hair taping like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8

Whatever it is, enjoy and have fun

Islandgrrl
April 14th, 2015, 10:34 PM
I'd go with hair friendly hair ties, braids and a buff. The buff can be used like a headband or even a scarf-like covering to protect your scalp. When I ride my bike I wear the buff like a scarf under the helmet to help prevent snagging and friction damage. I'd probably also take a couple of acrylic sticks use to get wet hair up and safely tucked away.

YvetteVarie
April 15th, 2015, 12:41 AM
With the oil, I suggest that you pack it in a ziploc bag. I did this when I went mountain climbing 2 years ago. It prevents the oil from leaking onto the rest of your luggage, and what leaks into the ziploc bag is still usable. I think you need to find a sun hat that can be packed to protect your skin and hair. I hope you have a great time

tigereye
April 15th, 2015, 02:19 AM
I'd do a low braided bun - one that can fit under a helmet - or just a regular braid and cover my head in a silk scarf. This is the sort of time where I just take two of my bent DPNs (although that depends on how much hair you have - I used to just need one, but now I need two) DPNs are double-pointed knitting needles, bent in half to form mega-pins - they act more like little forks really, they're inexpensive, and if you get the right length, they won't stick out of your bun and catch on things like a stick would. Whenever I'm going anywhere sunny, I always take a hat or scarf to cover my head. Scalp sunburn is miserable, and I burn really easily but a scarf doesn't take up much space and keeps the sun off nicely.

emilia1992
April 15th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Ah wow, it sounds like you're going to have an amazing time! I remember reading about the Amish braids, the one where you can keep it in the same style for a week. I've tried it and it does stay in for ages, though flyaways appear kind of wild after two days or so. So maybe an updo like that, then a sunhat on top, would do the trick? :)

Sterlyn
April 15th, 2015, 05:25 AM
The helmets for used for horseback riding can be a challenge to get hair up and out of the way because the back comes down fairly low. Sticks, barrettes and claw clips don't fit under my helmets. In the past I've used a french braid and tucked the pony tail up and pinned in place. This year my hair is too long for that and when I tuck the braid, my helmet gets too snug.

This year I tried a french braid but took the braid and wrapped it into a very low bun and secured with several spin pins. Since my braided bun is still small it fit under my helmet fairly well. I prefer spin pins to bobby pins because I've had problems with bobby pins getting twisted around, then tangled in my hair with the motion of whatever happens when I ride and and the helmet. My helmets have a cloth insert in them so I don't cover my hair before I put them on. HTH :p

Yarrow
April 15th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Yea, a buff sounds good.
Personally I prefer a headband like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JCIK8V2/ref=pd_aw_sim_bt_4?refRID=1YXRFZ1J000GWK01VFT9, but a buff functions just the same way.
I would get two of these small travel size shampoo bottles and fill them up with your personal hair oil. Some oils allegedly have some sun protection properties, though I can't vouch for any.
On not spilling, you could seal the top and bottom of the lid with this grey packing tape.
Pins you could put in a small tic tac box, wouldn't take much room.
An acyrlic wouldn't take much room either if you store it with your writing utensils.
I'd probably go for a french braid or normal braid which could be bunned up or left hanging, depending on activity.

tigereye
April 15th, 2015, 08:47 AM
The helmets for used for horseback riding can be a challenge to get hair up and out of the way because the back comes down fairly low. Sticks, barrettes and claw clips don't fit under my helmets. In the past I've used a french braid and tucked the pony tail up and pinned in place. This year my hair is too long for that and when I tuck the braid, my helmet gets too snug.

This year I tried a french braid but took the braid and wrapped it into a very low bun and secured with several spin pins. Since my braided bun is still small it fit under my helmet fairly well. I prefer spin pins to bobby pins because I've had problems with bobby pins getting twisted around, then tangled in my hair with the motion of whatever happens when I ride and and the helmet. My helmets have a cloth insert in them so I don't cover my hair before I put them on. HTH :p

Yeah, I used to always wear a french braid until it got too long. That's why i use my DPNs in a low braided bun too. There's no way I'd fit a crown braid or similar style under a riding helmet.

truepeacenik
April 15th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Maybe a pony scrub?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Vs2rEr62Q

endlessly
April 15th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I would recommend a french braid or if you're especially talented, a crown braid (I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this one yet). Both styles can last through a surprising amount of abuse, but also require very few styling tools. For haircare, depending on how frequently you'll need to wash your hair and the kind of conditions you're in, I would still recommend shampoo and conditioner, but versus using a liquid, try to find a solid shampoo bar - they're very travel-friendly, so no pesky leaking, they store well, and they take up very little space. I wish I knew a way for you to pack oils without leaking, but every method I could think of is way too bulky - put the oil container in a sealed plastic bag, then put it all into another container. Like I said, it's probably too bulky.

As for avoiding sunburn, bring plenty of sunscreen - preferably SPF 100+ if you have access to it. Last summer, I used a spray-on sunscreen from Neutrogena that was 100+ and it worked really, really well. Since this one was to use on face and body, I also sprayed it along my natural part in my hair just to be on the safe side, too. My hair felt a little greasy, but it was protected, so you kind of have to pick your battles. Otherwise, if you're pulling your hair back into a style that covers your part, you shouldn't have to worry as much, but, if you do manage to bring an oil with you, avoid putting it anywhere near your scalp - you'll get one hell of a nasty burn! Otherwise, the fail-proof method is a hat or scarf, just try to keep the area covered.

lapushka
April 15th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Milkmaid braids. Very handy. You don't need many tools and just two sleep braids can be transformed to a "style" in the morning, quick & easy.

Swan Maiden
April 15th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Definitely a french braid that you can tuck the ends in. That always worked for me under my kevlar helmet and would last for days. I also like to layer a tubular piece of fabric under the helmet to help keep things maintained and it can also be used for quick sun/dust protection by rolling it down and covering the face and neck. As for the coconut oil, try whipping it into a cream, it will probably still melt under extreme heat but its easier to transport. I think Target sells some nice travel bottles near the luggage section.

gwenalyn
April 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
As for avoiding sunburn, bring plenty of sunscreen - preferably SPF 100+ if you have access to it. Last summer, I used a spray-on sunscreen from Neutrogena that was 100+ and it worked really, really well. Since this one was to use on face and body, I also sprayed it along my natural part in my hair just to be on the safe side, too. My hair felt a little greasy, but it was protected, so you kind of have to pick your battles. Otherwise, if you're pulling your hair back into a style that covers your part, you shouldn't have to worry as much, but, if you do manage to bring an oil with you, avoid putting it anywhere near your scalp - you'll get one hell of a nasty burn! Otherwise, the fail-proof method is a hat or scarf, just try to keep the area covered.

Actually, all SPFs higher than 50 are more or less equally effective, but higher SPF sunscreens are usually more expensive because lots of consumers don't realize that. Here's a source:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/UnderstandingOver-the-CounterMedicines/ucm258468.htm#Q8_What_does_proposed_rule

"there is not sufficient data to show that products with SPF values higher than 50 provide greater protection for users than products with SPF values of 50."

That said, yes, use sunscreen! Preferably at SPF 30+ with "Broad Spectrum" protection. It sounds like you need a water-resistant one, too, and remember to reapply after two hours of sun.

patienceneeded
April 15th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I suggest a braid or two braids and wear a buff. It's what I do when outdoors and active for long periods of time.

meteor
April 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I'd recommend some braided and sturdy style, like:
- Interlaced Dutch braids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA37CREatY
- Milkmaid braids or Frida Kahlo braids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxltmgagKeg
- simplified Ellingwoman bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2jGJvMBI4

Obviously, a hat or buff (preferably from UPF-rated fabric) is highly recommended to avoid scalp sunburn.

Best of luck! :D And have fun on the island! :cheer:

tigereye
April 15th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Big bulky braided styles (including milkmaid braids, crown braid) simply dont fit under a properly fitting horse riding helmet in my experience, and I suspect other types of helmet will be similar.

meteor
April 15th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Big bulky braided styles (including milkmaid braids, crown braid) simply dont fit under a properly fitting horse riding helmet in my experience, and I suspect other types of helmet will be similar.

Ah the helmet, yes... Maybe something positioned low like the horseshoe braids can work? If the hair is pretty voluminous/thick, it's possible that only wearing braids down can do. :( But then again, you can always pin those braids up after. :)

ETA: You can also look into hair sleeves / horse tail bags for keeping that braid/pony in good condition when it's down when you are wearing a helmet.

Sterlyn
April 15th, 2015, 06:55 PM

Yes this^^ :) My hair isn't thick by any means, but with 26" of hair a tucked french braid didn't leave me enough room for my head. I've never used any other kind of helmet, but riding helmets are supposed to fit snug enough so they aren't sliding around on your head. Unfortunately that doesn't leave a lot of extra room.

Ah the helmet, yes... Maybe something positioned low like the horseshoe braids can work? If the hair is pretty voluminous/thick, it's possible that only wearing braids down can do. :( But then again, you can always pin those braids up after. :)

ETA: You can also look into hair sleeves / horse tail bags for keeping that braid/pony in good condition when it's down when you are wearing a helmet.

Hair sleeves are what I was thinking for probably next year if/when my bun becomes too big, to fit under my helmet even when done low. I don't want to have my braid hanging down my back either, too much sun exposure and it might get seriously snagged or even stuck on branches (we are primarily trail riders). I had a fairly good sized branch get stuck in my helmet once at a fairly fast pace; not so fun, horse kept going, damn near hung myself with my helmet. :disbelief I wouldn't want something like that to happen with my braid. So I'm thinking a tail bag left under my jacket to keep it out of the way.

Nadine, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a hair friendly style to fit under your helmet this year and it sounds like tons of fun. :p

Xavien_Grey
April 15th, 2015, 07:10 PM
No idea about braids or buns but i run and for my last sparten sprint i picked up a Buff from Eastern Mountain Sports, its super comfy, multipurpose, and best of all has a built in UV shield. Ive only had it for a few weeks but i use it for most of my runs. Might be something to look into.

--> http://www.buffwear.com/