PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Curly Girls! Which Do You Prefer?

sarah.j.xx
April 14th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Hey, everyone! I have a question for you curly-headed ladies (or anyone else with advice to offer). :o I am looking for something that will really soak into my curls and leave them super soft, smooth, shiny, and well-hydrated (and possibly frizz free??). I have very curly biracial 3a-3b hair. Lately, all I have been using in my hair is coconut oil, and it's been working wonderfully (my hair is a lot softer and less dry now, and I've noticed quite a bit of new growth), but I am curious to know if maybe EVOO or shea butter would work better. So tell me, when oiling/moisturizing your hair, which do you prefer to use: coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, or shea butter? What do you like best about it? Thanks in advance! :flower:

gthlvrmx
April 14th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I am not a girl, but I do have curly hair! If i had to choose from those 3, i would choose EVOO. But ultimately, I prefer baby oil/mineral oil. It locks in more moisture than EVOO did for me. The best way to moisturize my hair for me is to do a SMT (so honey, conditioner, and aloe vera mixed together) and then do a final ACV/White Vinegar rinse and then oil it after towel drying it. I just tried that today and I have the softest hair I have ever had! It's so soft!
What I like about EVOO is that it penetrates your hair, which is something that mineral oil doesn't do.

Wants2BRapunzel
April 14th, 2015, 09:15 PM
I love love EVOO and COil, I usually combine the two and most of the time do the "hot oil" treatment. I just heat it up for 15sec in the microwave then slather it on my hair. I've also used the two combined with honey and OMG!!! I loved it :) leave in for a few hours, then like gthlvrmx here, ACV rinse, let all set for 30 more minutes then wash out. I can't oil it after towel drying, my hair just looks waayy too greasy at that point :( but super soft hair, frizz goes down to a bare minimum, and it also ends up being super shiny.

gthlvrmx: what kind of conditioner do you use? I'm always up for trying something new and I think I'll be trying your mixture.

gthlvrmx
April 14th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I love love EVOO and COil, I usually combine the two and most of the time do the "hot oil" treatment. I just heat it up for 15sec in the microwave then slather it on my hair. I've also used the two combined with honey and OMG!!! I loved it :) leave in for a few hours, then like gthlvrmx here, ACV rinse, let all set for 30 more minutes then wash out. I can't oil it after towel drying, my hair just looks waayy too greasy at that point :( but super soft hair, frizz goes down to a bare minimum, and it also ends up being super shiny.

gthlvrmx: what kind of conditioner do you use? I'm always up for trying something new and I think I'll be trying your mixture.

I use Suave Sun Ripened Strawberry for my normal CO washes and for SMT, I use Suave Aloe and waterlily.
I just realized the most obvious thing for curly hair is Conditioner only washes help a lot! That has really helped my hair a lot.

Wants2BRapunzel
April 14th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Oh yes, I've noticed the CO for me as well, but I often find my hair still lacking a shine and it tends to dry out, even without using hot tools or chemicals of different kinds (dye mostly), so I'm always looking for other things I can do that doesn't cost too much, lol. And thank you for telling me the conditioners you use :) I'll certainly be trying it out!

HappyHair87
April 14th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I have 3c curls, but the majority of my hair is not fine...the strands are actually coarse and they are not naturally shiny...they do give off a sheen.

I use all of the oils above, I'm really careful with using just plain shea butter on my hair bc it's too heavy and makes my hair instantly greasy.

I use the oil right after rinsing out my conditioner...I rake it through my wet hair, then apply my leave in. And if I'm looking for multiple days curls, I then apply a gel or curl cream.

I don't know WHY this works so well for me this way...but my hair stays moisturized for DAYS! I don't use too much oil...just dime to nickel sized amounts throughout my hair.

jeanniet
April 14th, 2015, 11:52 PM
I don't really use oils or butters at all. They tend to make my hair stringy. Every once in a while I'll use a drop of camellia oil, but not often. I CO wash and use conditioner for leave in, and then refresh with either plain water or water + conditioner, and that's about it.

YvetteVarie
April 15th, 2015, 12:32 AM
My favourites are coconut oil for summer and castor/baobab oil for winter. Shea butter is extremely heavy, and I prefer using it when its whipped with lighter oils like coconut. My hair type doesn't get very shiny, but these oils give (what I hope is) a healthy sheen to my hair

NitaB
April 15th, 2015, 05:24 AM
I'm not as curly as you are, but I love coconut oil. It's what helped me realize my hair was actually curly after years of treating it like straight hair. I use coconut oil by itself pretty regularly, but every once in a while I will do a hot oil treatment like Wants2BRapunzel said with coconut oil, EVOO, and avocado oil.

You want to know what is the best, I say you just start mixing things together and have fun with it, see what works out

hennalonghair
April 15th, 2015, 06:21 AM
I use coconut oil mixed with shea butter with a touch of Nightblooming pancea or freyas or ostsea salves. I rub all of these into my hands and then just plop the ends. It soaks in and dries perfectly leaving nicely moisturized defined curls.

Note:since everyone's hair is so different I think you are best experimenting.
Just remember to rub in thoroughly throughout your hands first and plop it into your curls or you will most likely have too much . It's better to use small amounts at a time and let it soak in rather than going for a one time application IMHO.

good luck finding your own personal combo:thumbsup:

HappyHair87
April 15th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Hennalonghair I love that flexi8 in your siggy. I was wondering where u bought it, I even went to the website (Lilla rose) but I couldn't find it :(

I was wondering where I could buy it in a different color.

Sorry to derail :/

lapushka
April 15th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Try looking into the rinse-out oil method (watch the video). The link is in my signature.

Hairkay
April 15th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I'm a fan of coconut oil, mostly because it's been familiar since childhood. It's a light oil. I will use more olive oil in winter though and I also tend to layer almond oil which is the heaviest one I've ever used on my hair on top of the coconut oil/olive oil.

MINAKO
April 15th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I do well with coconut, but better with avocado and my mixes are often based on sesame oil. Macadamia is nice, as well as Argan, Hempseed and sweet Almond.
Personally i cannot use EVOO, i hate that stuff. It gives my frizz and makes my hair fairy knot, but also limp and stringy at the same time, never had this with any other oil.

Hurven
April 15th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I prefer coconut oil for my hair. I've only tried it once, but I am already hooked! My hair is a bit dry, and while other oils have worked quite well, the coconut oil is by far the best I've tried so far. It moisturizes my hair but it also brings out my waves and defines them. :)

hennalonghair
April 15th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Hennalonghair I love that flexi8 in your siggy. I was wondering where u bought it, I even went to the website (Lilla rose) but I couldn't find it :(

Thank you HappyHair. That's cause it's a handmade faux flexi.

curlsgalore
April 15th, 2015, 04:05 PM

https://www.etsy.com/shop/keepituphairtoys Here you go :)

spirals
April 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I've gone away from shampoo and conditioner, but when I used them I used a conditioner with avocado oil in it and a gel with castor oil. I had the shiniest, softest hair of my life. I wouldn't go back to gel on anything but my bangs, but I'm considering adding avocado oil to my routine, and maybe a tiny bit of castor oil.

YvetteVarie
April 16th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Thank you HappyHair. That's cause it's a handmade faux flexi.

Sorry another derail. How did you make it?

hennalonghair
April 16th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Sorry another derail. How did you make it?

Carefully!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123110