PDA

View Full Version : Dammit protein ruined my hair!

butter52
April 14th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Ok so somehow I decided to give a try to a protein rich conditioner to see if it enhanced my curls.

Bad bad idea. Now my hair instead of sleek and soft is rough!

Can I / should I do anything about it? Or few washes will fix it eventually?

Thaaaanks!

Panth
April 14th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Cut out all protein, do some moisture-heavy treatments and otherwise just leave it alone. An SMT or a few moisture-rich conditioner uses or something similarly high-moisture, low-protein should sort it.

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I just mentioned this in the snail ecretion thread, like SMTs it would help a great deal with protein overload, my hair almost gets too soft using it a few days in a row. You also might wanna try blackstrap molasses in your SMT or pree-poo, i find its a far stronger humectant than honey.

meteor
April 14th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Ok so somehow I decided to give a try to a protein rich conditioner to see if it enhanced my curls.

Bad bad idea. Now my hair instead of sleek and soft is rough!

Can I / should I do anything about it? Or few washes will fix it eventually?

Thaaaanks!

Protein treatments need to be followed up by moisturizing ones, e.g. SMT.

I'd just clarify and do a moisturizing (humectant-rich) treatment followed with some oiling. That should fix it right up. :)

Arctic
April 14th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Echoing the wise advice given already, and also wanted to assure you that your hair isn't ruined! Good luck!

Anje
April 14th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Been there, done that. (Protein was the 13th ingredient in the list, no lie! Stupid picky hair!) SMTs will fix it faster than it'll recover on its own.

Wildcat Diva
April 14th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I just like it that this thread starts with dammit.

gthlvrmx
April 14th, 2015, 08:06 PM

:p You made me laugh.

SMT should fix your hair and then oil it when it's damp/wet to retain the most moisture.

meteor
April 14th, 2015, 08:08 PM

He-he, me too! :lol: And seeing Princess Jasmin looking slightly upset matches the topic and the mood perfectly! ;)

butter52, how is your hair feeling now? :flower: I really hope a moisturizing treatment was enough to fix it. :pray:

butter52
April 15th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks nice people! I havent had time to do a mosturizing treatment, so much work! This weekend I will do it :)

Good to know is reversible

truepeacenik
April 15th, 2015, 07:37 PM

Agreed.
And when the answer is easy, better yet!

Moisture! If you are in an area with <30 percent humidity, only use honey or molasses in a steamy bathroom.

butter52
April 16th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Honey and conditioner it is then!

I love you guys, thanks for the help