PDA

View Full Version : Leak proof bottle for oil?

hananabread
April 14th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Hi all! I hope this wasn't posted before. I tried searching but I didn't see it anywhere.
Has anyone found a solution for oil leaking when traveling? Are there any truely leakproof bottles out there? I travel to a neighboring city and spend the night a few times a week to help out family and my bottle of jojoba oil will not stop leaking. I have it in a ziplock baggie so it is not making a mess, but it is expensive and it feels like a waste. I recently switched to jojoba oil after giving up on coconut oil for my hair, so this is a new issue to tackle.
Thanks!

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Wheni travel i use old contact lens liquid bottles to transport my oils, so far no bad expiriences. I cant tell if the bottle absolutely di not leak at all because i may have not really cleaned it from the outside before throwing it in my bad, but it did hold well enough not to mess up other stuff in there.

slynr
April 14th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I use packing tape and go vertically over the lid and around the bottle a couple of times . Works really well for me.

Anje
April 14th, 2015, 02:00 PM
A silicone washer in the lid might do the trick, too, but it's probably more fiddly than it's worth trying to find.

Definitely if you're flying or going to/through a substantially higher elevation, make sure there's very little air in your bottle. Squeezing the bottle so it's partly compressed can help there, to give what air is in the bottle more room to expand before pushing stuff out.

Nique1202
April 14th, 2015, 05:36 PM
If you don't mind wasting or switching to it for a while, look anywhere that has a travel/sample size section for a tiny bottle of baby oil. They're designed to go anywhere a baby does without leaking! You might have to be careful removing the drop-dispensing tip to fill it with your oil of choice or you can do it the slow and slightly messier way (bottle upright, squeeze some air out, dip the tip of the bottle in your choice oil, un-squeeze to draw choice oil up into the bottle) but I'm sure it can be done somehow.

hananabread
April 16th, 2015, 12:35 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I found an empty contact lense case in my bathroom and I am trying it out todayMINAKO.
I think packing tape might work slynr, but I'll wait to try it when I am going somewhere farther or for a shorter period of time. Also, Anje, you reminded me that submerging as baggie in water will make it air tight. I might try that with packing tape for flying! Great ideas!
Nique1202 I actually prefer baby oil to jojoba oil but I stopped using it for the same reason, it would leak everywhere. I will have to keep an eye out for a travel sized bottle!
Thanks again everyone.

JellyBene
April 16th, 2015, 07:18 AM
What about a small mason jar? They seal pretty air tight.

MINAKO
April 16th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Hananabread. I don't mean the case were you put the lenses in, But the bottle that has the cleaning solution, it has a nozzle thingy on top. I also find them convinient as they come in 100ml sizes to take to the airport In case you dont have anything but hand luggage.

Arctic
April 16th, 2015, 08:29 AM
I saw this on PInterest, so take it with a grain of salt: the tip was to take a piece of cling film/ saran wrap, take off the cap and place the cling film over the opening of the bottle/jar so, that there is some of it hanging down well over the opening. Then when you put the cap on again, there is a cling film between the opening and cap (the piece should be big enough that the edges remain visible when the cap is on). According to the tip this should prevent leaking, and it can be used on any type of bottles/jars.

ZoSo
April 16th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I haven't tried it, but how about using a small empty bottle of something like olive oil. They shouldn't leak if the cap is tightened properly. Glass or thick plastic bottles designed for oil will be stronger and less likely to leak than some others. Don't know if residual oil would be an issue if it was cleaned out well.

In my experience (transporting small bottles of cutting & penetrating oil in my tool bag when going to self service automotive salvage/junk yards) leaking containers usually fail because; the cap gasket is inadequate or missing, the container or cap is too weak or the cap threads don't allow enough clamping force to keep the cap tight. Another issue is that some oils can weaken the plastic of the container.

If you go the zip lock baggie route, double up to be sure. Test that the oil doesn't dissolve the baggie plastic.

I'm kinda traditional with some things. I prefer thick glass containers with wood, steel or thick bakelite or plastic cap with a removable gasket. Cork caps are another option & some have wire clips to keep them secure. An antique or vintage medicine bottle would be cool with a fun newly made paper label glued on. An art deco design bottle would awesome.