PDA

View Full Version : Red dyed hair with green tint

Zugar
April 14th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Hello!

Something weird has happened. I have red dyed hair, itīs almost burgundy when freshly dyed, then fades a little over the weeks, but still a dark, rich red. Last week I noticed a slight green tint to the hair. Isnīt red whatīs usually used to combat green in hair? Then how could this happen in red hair?

Any ideas?

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Did you color your hair with something else in the past? Maybe the peroxide lifts old color to something greenish. Darker browns ans blacks are often green based.
It could also be minrals in your water. In case an aspirin rinse is said to help with removing the green.

lapushka
April 14th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Are you using henna? Is it pure?

Zugar
April 14th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Thank you!

No, I donīt use henna, I use Garnier Nutrisse, and dye about every four-six week.

And yes, Iīve actually used a dye about a year ago, which gave my hair a slight green tint, much more green than now, though. The hairdresser concluded that this happened because that dye didīt have much red pigments (was a dark blond dye, over my ashy brown/blond hair at that time), and that the thing to do was add red pigments. Which I did with the Nutrisse. Just think itīs weird it suddenly came now, three weeks since last deejay and all....

Will the aspirin-rinse have any impact on the red dye thatīs already in my hair? Will google this.

Have absolutely NO idea why the word "deejay" appeared.... meant of course; "dye job" ....

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 11:49 AM
That explains alot. I dont think the aspiring dye will help in that case since the green pigment seems to be trapped quite deep in your hair.
What i would recommend to keep damage low is to touch up with deposit dyes or color enhancing masks, like pravana chromasilk or revlon nutri color. Other than that you would have to use a clor remover to lift as much of the old dye as possible and that will remove your red as well. And above all, i would not recommend trying to bleach it out. You would have to go almost white before that happens.

Zugar
April 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Damn..... The two brands you mention I canīt get here, and when using color-removers my hair turns into a not to pretty orange/brown.

But youīre saying, to get rid of the green, I have to strip both red and green (since the red is over the green from the old dye)? What if I just keep coloring my hair with the red Nutrisse, will the green keep showing up?

Anje
April 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Hm, have you ever used a henna-type dye in the past? Maybe years ago? (I'm actually looking for indigo, but so many "henna colors" contain it and either don't say or just call it "black henna" that it's questionable whether someone would necessarily know that their blend used indigo.) Indigo is notable for turning hair green when you try to bleach hair or even use a dye with a peroxide developer, sometimes years after you used it.

spidermom
April 14th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I see a green highlight in all red hair, especially henna. I don't know why.

Zugar
April 14th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Anje: yes, Iīve tried a henna blend many years ago, but that hair is cut off.

spidermom: you do? Interesting.... how is it with colors in other aspect of life?

spidermom
April 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I don't have any particular color dysfunction that I know of.

Zugar
April 14th, 2015, 01:34 PM
spidermom: I didnīt mean to offend you in any way. The only reason I asked, is that when I were little, I had to go to an eye-doctor from I were five yrs old ītill 16. And one of the things he always tested was my color vision, and red and green were used. Came to think of it from what you said :)

lapushka
April 14th, 2015, 01:38 PM
I'd just blame it on the ash color you used and call it a day. Maybe the next red dye you use will cover the greenish hue. I wouldn't "mess" with it otherwise.