PDA

View Full Version : Do you apply heat protectant before or after other products ?

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Hey guys, I just bought a heat protectant, and it also works as a leave in conditioner ( Revlon uniq one all in one hair treatment), Im so confused when it comes to in what order to apply the product.. my logic tells me to apply it after my other products, like anti frizz cream/curl cream or gel. The instructions don't really say much, just that I have to apply it on damp hair... what do you guys usually do ?

Arctic
April 14th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Is it a cream/lotion type, or spray?

What other products do you use?

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Is it a cream/lotion type, or spray?

What other products do you use?

It is like a light lotion, and I'm currently just using a anti frizz curl defining cream :)

( I recently bought a styling gel as well, but I have not used it yet, but I might be using it after the styling cream sometimes )

Xavien_Grey
April 14th, 2015, 09:40 AM
When i flatironed b4 i was able to tie my hair back i would --> CO wash/detangle/wrinse --> invert and towel off --> I had a Paul Mitchell Heat spray at the time and would spray it on and work through with my fingers b4 going for the iron. I don't think it (the spray) really did anything to be honest, i still ended up with het damage in places, but my hair was short enough that it grew out pretty quickly. Blow drying was never possible until recently but even so, if i did it was pretty much the same methodology just with either frizz reducing serum or a little bit of coconut oil to tame the beast.

I'd say, if your applying heat, id put the protectant in first, use your heat took, and finish with whatever finishing treatment you like.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM
When i flatironed b4 i was able to tie my hair back i would --> CO wash/detangle/wrinse --> invert and towel off --> I had a Paul Mitchell Heat spray at the time and would spray it on and work through with my fingers b4 going for the iron. I don't think it (the spray) really did anything to be honest, i still ended up with het damage in places, but my hair was short enough that it grew out pretty quickly. Blow drying was never possible until recently but even so, if i did it was pretty much the same methodology just with either frizz reducing serum or a little bit of coconut oil to tame the beast.

I'd say, if your applying heat, id put the protectant in first, use your heat took, and finish with whatever finishing treatment you like.

Thank you :) The thing is, I have to use my styling cream on damp hair,and Im only blow drying my hair after air drying it almost until its 80 % dry. So I don't know what to do ..

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I would apply any heat protectant as the last thing before you switch on your device in general. Some of them should be left to airdry by themselves for like 5-10minutes in order to not have to much moisture in your hair, in case you flat iron.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 09:45 AM
@MINAKO Thank you, that is what I was thinking too, its so confusing haha I was used to just flat iron my hair before, and back then I never used any styling products, I would only use a heat protectant ( not always) so now that Im wearing my hair au naturel, using several products at once is a little confusing :p

Xavien_Grey
April 14th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Thank you :) The thing is, I have to use my styling cream on damp hair,and Im only blow drying my hair after air drying it almost until its 80 % dry. So I don't know what to do ..

I'd still put the protectant on first, followed by the creme. Your goal is to protect the cuticle and prevent as much damage as possible. Think base coat and top coat, let it dry a bit more before you pick up the drier though; Id only check to see first the styling creme can be used in conjunction with heat... If its heat activated your all set, otherwise i don't know how well it will hold up when your done.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I'd still put the protectant on first, followed by the creme. Your goal is to protect the cuticle and prevent as much damage as possible. Think base coat and top coat, let it dry a bit more before you pick up the drier though; Id only check to see first the styling creme can be used in conjunction with heat... If its heat activated your all set, otherwise i don't know how well it will hold up when your done.

Thank you:) I didn't even know that I had to check if it is heat activated, so thank you so much for informing me:) It has been working great with heat so far though, but I will check to be sure:)

Xavien_Grey
April 14th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Thank you:) I didn't even know that I had to check if it is heat activated, so thank you so much for informing me:) It has been working great with heat so far though, but I will check to be sure:)

No big, its not a rule or anything; just that some cremes are formulated to strengthen hair while defining curl or improving straightening when used with heat. It usually says right on the label, but if its working for you then thats all that really matters. chances are since you said you let your hair get to about 80% dry anyways than your not applying heat long enough to negate the benefits of the styling creme.

I always admire people with curly hair, my hair is temperamental and managing frizz successfully on the random days my hair decides to be curly is "interesting."

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 11:37 AM
No big, its not a rule or anything; just that some cremes are formulated to strengthen hair while defining curl or improving straightening when used with heat. It usually says right on the label, but if its working for you then thats all that really matters. chances are since you said you let your hair get to about 80% dry anyways than your not applying heat long enough to negate the benefits of the styling creme.

I always admire people with curly hair, my hair is temperamental and managing frizz successfully on the random days my hair decides to be curly is "interesting."

Thank you soo so much for all your help, I learned a lot ! :)

Your hair looks lovely btw!! :)

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Heat protectant creates a barrier and is supposed to add slip. In any case, do t apply it before your leave ins, but you might switch one or the other styling product in the process.

endlessly
April 14th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Technically, heat protectants are applied immediately before you're using heat styling tools. However, if it's supposed to be that "everything in one" kind of product, then it depends on the thickness. Typically, a spray would be applied last whereas a cream would be applied first so that it can really absorb into your hair. Otherwise, you can always go based off what it says on the bottle. Most commercial products should have the step in which you apply it somewhere on the package, but yours might not.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Technically, heat protectants are applied immediately before you're using heat styling tools. However, if it's supposed to be that "everything in one" kind of product, then it depends on the thickness. Typically, a spray would be applied last whereas a cream would be applied first so that it can really absorb into your hair. Otherwise, you can always go based off what it says on the bottle. Most commercial products should have the step in which you apply it somewhere on the package, but yours might not.

Yeah that is exactly the problem :p It only said to apply on damp hair and nothing more, so thats why i was so confused on what to do, and yes it makes sense to apply it first when it is a cream, but I still feel it also is logical to add it last, like @MINAKO said

Arctic
April 14th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I didn't read all the other answers, sorry about that.

My intuition would be to put a heat protectant (=H.P.) last, so if your products themselves don't prevent layering, I'd try to apply it as a final step. My feeling is, that lotion type would work better as first step, and spray as a last step.

The H.P. you have might have been designed to use alone, if it's two in one. But since you and many do layer or mix products, it would sound locigal to me (even if it's against my first intuition) to use (any type of) H.P. first before styling products, maybe? Especially if you use gel, which makes distributing anything else after it difficult. If the heat protectant would be a spray, it could probably be applied easily as a last step, but it might dilute your styling product hold.

I might also try to mix products, to make a coctail out of them.

These are just guesses :)

Arctic
April 14th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Oh, and mine is spray, I use it after styling product as a last step. It can be used on wet or dry hair, and doesn't seem to have styling power.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Thank you Arctic :) I think I will use it first before applying my styling cream, as you and the others said since my H.P is a lotion maybe it is best to do so, and that it would've been good to use it as the last step if it was a spray ( which I think sounds more logic also ) :)