PDA

View Full Version : Science article on hair density

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Nothing big, but i found it interesting enough to share. Does that mean all those rough detangling sessions in the past might have had benefits after all. It would be great to see how these findings can be translated to help increase hair density in humans as well.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150409133407.htm

Linguaphilia
April 14th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Well, I'm not going to try that if I'm not absolutely desperate! Interesting though, thanks for sharing.

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Well, I'm not going to try that if I'm not absolutely desperate! Interesting though, thanks for sharing.

Oh, me neither. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I wouldn't want a halo of new growth and wait for that to catch up only to gain more thickness. But we have all sorts of problems to solve here, maybe with a bit more progression of the method it will be a solution to some of us in the future.

curlylocks85
April 14th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Nothing big, but i found it interesting enough to share. Does that mean all those rough detangling sessions in the past might have had benefits after all. It would be great to see how these findings can be translated to help increase hair density in humans as well.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150409133407.htm

What an interesting article. It would be wonderful if this theory works for humans. So many people have hair loss problems and maybe with several studies of the regeneration with rats it will show that it does work, then transfer the process to people who have hair loss issues. People deserve to have hair and if researches can make this possible so many people will be happy; and that makes me happy :)

Lindenare
April 14th, 2015, 09:09 AM
And like everything new and interesting, you can't get more than the abstract and a few figures without a subscription. Sigh. It's very cool, but I would love to see the full article.

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 09:16 AM
If you google the title of this there are quite a few additional articles google spits out, but they are all based on that site it seems. These are early stages i guess, so it wont become common practise until it has established itself to work for pleanty of humans in the long run. What i find so great about it tho is that it absolutely doesn't involve any product, active ingredient or something something fancy like laser light blah blah, simply stimulating the bodys natural response.

lapushka
April 14th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Not exactly great encouraging news for the trichotillomaniacs among us, I fear. shudder:

Beborani
April 14th, 2015, 09:43 AM
This gives credence to popular belief that plucking or removing facial hair causes hair to grow back thicker.

Lindenare
April 14th, 2015, 09:52 AM
If you google the title of this there are quite a few additional articles google spits out, but they are all based on that site it seems. These are early stages i guess, so it wont become common practise until it has established itself to work for pleanty of humans in the long run. What i find so great about it tho is that it absolutely doesn't involve any product, active ingredient or something something fancy like laser light blah blah, simply stimulating the bodys natural response.

The other articles I've found don't really add any information since as you mentioned, they're all based on that site. I was wanting to read the actual journal article, though, so I could look into the methods and possible mechanisms in more detail. It's published in Cell, so someone thinks it's a well-done study with cool results, at least.

lapushka
April 14th, 2015, 10:13 AM
This gives credence to popular belief that plucking or removing facial hair causes hair to grow back thicker.

You wouldn't say that about my eyebrows. Plucked those once, took *ages* for them to come back. I don't think mice... well, you could compare it to bodily hair, I suppose, but I don't think it compares to scalp hair, the study I mean.

Lindenare
April 14th, 2015, 10:55 AM
You wouldn't say that about my eyebrows. Plucked those once, took *ages* for them to come back. I don't think mice... well, you could compare it to bodily hair, I suppose, but I don't think it compares to scalp hair, the study I mean.

It's also possible that the findings only apply to hair already growing in high density.

lapushka
April 14th, 2015, 11:03 AM
It's also possible that the findings only apply to hair already growing in high density.

Yes, as in pluck good follicles, of course they're going to grow back in.

Lindenare
April 14th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Yes, as in pluck good follicles, of course they're going to grow back in.

Perhaps. I also noticed the local inflammatory response mentioned in the article as one of the possible mechanisms for increasing overall growth in the plucked area. It's possible that the hair has to be a certain density to notice much effect because of the number of follicles in the inflamed region.

JellyBene
April 14th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Upon first glance I thought this said hair destiny :p interesting article!

meteor
April 14th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Wow, very interesting article! :) Thank you for sharing, MINAKO! :thumbsup:
If somebody can access the full article, could you please share what they thought of it, pretty please! :pray:
In particular, I would love to find out more about the regenerative process that was mentioned in the article, that relies on the principle of "quorum sensing" (defines how a system responds to stimuli that affect some, but not all members).

I am both extremely surprised and... in some way, can sort of imagine that it could work, due to the stimulation, sort of how scalp massages or how dermarolling, micro-needling scalp can help with hair regrowth (Alopecia Areata—Successful Outcome with Microneedling and Triamcinolone Acetonide - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3996798/, A Randomized Evaluator Blinded Study of Effect of Microneedling in Androgenetic Alopecia: A Pilot Study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236/)

Perhaps. I also noticed the local inflammatory response mentioned in the article as one of the possible mechanisms for increasing overall growth in the plucked area. It's possible that the hair has to be a certain density to notice much effect because of the number of follicles in the inflamed region.

^ Yes, I agree, that was my thinking, too. :agree:

Lindenare
April 15th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Wow, very interesting article! :) Thank you for sharing, MINAKO! :thumbsup:
If somebody can access the full article, could you please share what they thought of it, pretty please! :pray:
In particular, I would love to find out more about the regenerative process that was mentioned in the article, that relies on the principle of "quorum sensing" (defines how a system responds to stimuli that affect some, but not all members).

I am both extremely surprised and... in some way, can sort of imagine that it could work, due to the stimulation, sort of how scalp massages or how dermarolling, micro-needling scalp can help with hair regrowth (Alopecia Areata—Successful Outcome with Microneedling and Triamcinolone Acetonide - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3996798/, A Randomized Evaluator Blinded Study of Effect of Microneedling in Androgenetic Alopecia: A Pilot Study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236/)

Meteor,I would not be surprised if at least some of the same mechanisms were at work in those clinical trials. The common factor is microinjury of the scalp and the resulting inflammatory response. I'm familiar with quorum sensing in bacterial populations but know less about it in tissues; I may study up some. If I find some good literature I'll let you know.

I also did a slightly deeper search than I had previously and found some information about the research on the PI's faculty info page. Here's the link in case you're interested. http://devcell.bio.uci.edu/faculty/maksim-plikus/ There are some other publications of his that look closely related and may shed some light on the topic, but I don't have the time to check them out right now.

Yarrow
April 15th, 2015, 10:07 AM
My take on the article summary was that tumor necrosis factor alpha must not be over or under a certain level to trigger regrowth.
If it's too much it is assumed to cause hair loss and tnf alpha inhibitors also are linked to hair loss. So it seems there is a certain sweet spot.

meteor
April 15th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Meteor,I would not be surprised if at least some of the same mechanisms were at work in those clinical trials. The common factor is microinjury of the scalp and the resulting inflammatory response. I'm familiar with quorum sensing in bacterial populations but know less about it in tissues; I may study up some. If I find some good literature I'll let you know.

I also did a slightly deeper search than I had previously and found some information about the research on the PI's faculty info page. Here's the link in case you're interested. http://devcell.bio.uci.edu/faculty/maksim-plikus/ There are some other publications of his that look closely related and may shed some light on the topic, but I don't have the time to check them out right now.

That's fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing, Lindenare! :D You are awesome! :flowers:

It's so interesting how they are managing to figure out actual patterns for those key signaling pathways for regeneration. :bigeyes: And I can see how it will be really useful for finding out more on scarless regeneration and developmental plasticity in response to wounding. Really interesting stuff! :cheer: Hopefully, we'll see more research into this! :D

Arwenlily
April 15th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Not exactly great encouraging news for the trichotillomaniacs among us, I fear. shudder:

I was just thinking this. But interesting article.