PDA

View Full Version : Minor dilemma

joflakes
April 14th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I've not been around these parts for a while but I hope the lovely people of LHC can still give me some advice.

My hair now about WL at the back and BSL at the front with some long layers and bangs. It's been chemically dyed a few times now and isn't in fantastic shape on the bottom 2 ish inches. It's currently a dark ginger colour (I'm a medium brown naturally).

I have a quandry. I love having my ginger hair but I want to keep it long. I also am feeling a bit bored of my hair style. Like, it's long to me now but it is only that. Long. There's not much style about it, except my bangs. I don't know what to do with it! I'm not sure I'm ready for a big chop, but I didn't know if there are any options whilst keeping my length?

Hmm....:confused: Help, LHC!

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Is it healthy? Do you have split ends?

joflakes
April 14th, 2015, 02:13 AM
Yeah I have a few problem areas of splits. They're not really bad, but not great either!

tigereye
April 14th, 2015, 02:47 AM
How gingery? Could you get the same sort of colour with henna, and therefore avoid the chemical damage? (Although being aware that henna will most likely never bleach out again) or maybe there's a deposit-only dye that won't cause as much damage and let you keep it long?

As for the style, I'm not sure. I wear a bun every day.

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Yeah I have a few problem areas of splits. They're not really bad, but not great either!

So, cut off the splits, 1-2 inches and S&D and stop the chemicals. Use henna instead. That's what I recommend. I love long hair of every color but natural, shiny and healthy.

joflakes
April 14th, 2015, 04:19 AM
Thank you guys! I think I will. What henna is the reddest? The ginger is very ginger but I would much prefer to be natural and avoid all the chemical damage!

tigereye
April 14th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Thank you guys! I think I will. What henna is the reddest? The ginger is very ginger but I would much prefer to be natural and avoid all the chemical damage!

Rajasthani usually has one of the highest lawsone contents, and so it's rather red. However, too much dying with it and you could easily end up with burgundy rather than ginger. When I used henna, I used Jamilla, which is more orange and blended in rather nicely with the natural ginger in my hair. Even that would probably go burgundy eventually if you did your whole head over and over, but I never got to that because I just did roots for a while, then let it grow out.

It all depends on how dark your hair is naturally though.

joflakes
April 14th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info, tigereye.
I have a couple of pots of Directions dye, so what I'll do it use those up as they're veggie ones and then switch to henna I think! Thanks :)

Rajasthani usually has one of the highest lawsone contents, and so it's rather red. However, too much dying with it and you could easily end up with burgundy rather than ginger. When I used henna, I used Jamilla, which is more orange and blended in rather nicely with the natural ginger in my hair. Even that would probably go burgundy eventually if you did your whole head over and over, but I never got to that because I just did roots for a while, then let it grow out.

It all depends on how dark your hair is naturally though.

browneyedsusan
April 14th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Hi joflakes! :waving:

My natural color is medium ash brown and gray. I use jamila glosses every couple of weeks on my roots, and it's stays fairly light. A lot of gray hair helps! (A little Sun-in, twice or 3 times a year brightens it up. Nightshade has a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317).)

I also look at tons of tutorials to put it up. Torrin Paige (https://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige), and LaDollyVita (http://www.ladollyvita33.com/) are 2 favorites. I wear my hair up most days because I like the variety and I like to mess with it. :)

embee
April 14th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Hi joflakes, good to see you around again. Hope you are are well.

I'm gonna be no help here, as I do not color and I wear a bun every day, but I'm sure you'll figure out something. Making different buns can be a full-time hobby! Growing out short hair after a big chop is just slooooooooow. But you already know this. ;)

Wildcat Diva
April 14th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I never get bored by having an extensive and unusual hairtoy collection that makes me feel very happy to gaze upon it and pick one for the day.

Whoops that sounds really weird.

When I do wear my hair down, it's an adventure trying to maximize my natural curliness so I'm not bored yet.

I'm not a braider, but I am wondering if trying some lovely braids or updo styles will help?

slynr
April 14th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I never get bored by having an extensive and unusual hairtoy collection that makes me feel very happy to gaze upon it and pick one for the day.

Whoops that sounds really weird.

Actually, doesn't sound wierd to me. I do this too!!:)

joflakes
April 14th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Hi Guys! Thanks so much for all your replies, I appreciate it. Maybe trying some up dos will help, yes. I bought a Pot O' Gold from Lush the other day which added a bit of golden sparkle to my hair which was lovely, too! :love:

joflakes
April 14th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Hi joflakes! :waving:

My natural color is medium ash brown and gray. I use jamila glosses every couple of weeks on my roots, and it's stays fairly light. A lot of gray hair helps! (A little Sun-in, twice or 3 times a year brightens it up. Nightshade has a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317).)

I also look at tons of tutorials to put it up. Torrin Paige (https://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige), and LaDollyVita (http://www.ladollyvita33.com/) are 2 favorites. I wear my hair up most days because I like the variety and I like to mess with it. :)

I'll check them out when I have some time, thank you! Good to see you around. Your hair is SUPER long! Wowza. Well done! :cool: