PDA

View Full Version : Dare to change and trim, Should I?

yahirwaO.o
April 14th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Micro trimming has made my hair significantly better and somehow thick looking and Im so happy that Im considering changing from category of I-II to fully II....

Now I wanted to make the change when my ends and taper became all one uniform thing and have disappeared (at least the closest) my pony circumference feels and is fatter. Still I have a bit of taper showing as the day goes by, but brushed out looks fairly nice.

So here are some pics.

http://i61.tinypic.com/jim0d3.jpg

This is January and doesnt really show it, but my ends were so freaking thin and my taper was really drastic. Made the decision to have a major chop to about past shoulder lenght

http://i60.tinypic.com/alsuv8.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2my46cp.jpg

The two previous were taken today while I feel fairly happy with it, there is a thought in my mind .... lets say cut some 2 inches because Im bit tired of those ends-clumps happening. Spring seasonal shedding and not getting the best hairties for braiding have made this month a bit trouble. You can compare with this pic from the other month http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12275&attachmentid=16507.... and like I said this was at the end of the day, so with a brush runned trough it disguises better

So what you ladies and gentlemen think, should I change my hair type circum now? and cutting those ends to slightly short APL or let micro trim do its wonderful job as I had planned till the next year.

.... and just to add,this isnt bashing thin or ratty ends. I like a lot fairy tail ends and thin hair on other people, but I want to actually feel that my fine hair is full and nice one lenght for the first time in my life.

Have a wonderful day and thanks in advance...:o

hanne jensen
April 14th, 2015, 01:43 AM
How important is long hair to you? If it's important, I'd continue microtrimming (dusting) and let it grow. Your hair appears to be a solid II if not II/III. You should measure the circumference. You put all your hair into a pony tail high up on your head and measure the pony tail close to your scalp. (Tip-hair is thicker when newly washed and dry) Make sure that all your hair is in the pony, it doesn't matter where the pony is on your head, as long as all your hair is in it.

Just because you have fine hair doesn't mean you have thin hair. I too am a finie and have a lot of hairs on my head.

Your hair looks like it is in good condition and is very handsom. If you were a lady I would say beautiful. Your hemline looks thick and blunt. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. Why mess with success?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 14th, 2015, 01:53 AM
Your hair will clump at the ends like that at whatever length you have it. So cutting it shorter won't solve that problem. But it isn't a problem at all, because your hair looks amazing just the way it is now. You don't need to change a thing, honestly.

joflakes
April 14th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Your hair looks pretty awesome to me, too!

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Your hair will clump at the ends like that at whatever length you have it. So cutting it shorter won't solve that problem. But it isn't a problem at all, because your hair looks amazing just the way it is now. You don't need to change a thing, honestly.

I second that! Absolutely! It's your hairtype and the ends will clump at every length. But that's not a bad thing! And you have WONDERFUL hair! You have much of it and the color is wonderful! It's SO dark! And looks awesome with bandanas!

Don't cut it. Or cut only half an inch if it makes you feel better but LET IT GROW!!!

M-L-E
April 14th, 2015, 05:08 AM
I don't think you need to cut it at all! The hemline looks so good, the ends look thick and healthy to me :) (Tries to repress jealousy) :pinktongue:

Panth
April 14th, 2015, 05:37 AM
1) Trimming will not change the clumping. That's just a function of hairtype.
2) I don't see any real taper (not saying there is none, just that there isn't enough to make it visually look "tapered" rather than "blunt cut")
3) If you want longer hair, trimming off half your new growth every 1-3 months is a much better way of getting a better hemline and growing rather than doing a bigger chop and then growing for a while with no trims.
4) I would measure your ponytail (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129056). Unless your hair compresses an unusual amount, I'd say you are already a ii.

Also... completely non-impartial advice: I really like your hair. I don't want to see you cut it and certainly not when it looks so nice. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

momschicklets
April 14th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say I wouldn't cut a thing....not one strand :) The hemline looks good, and your hair is amazing!

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Im also for microtrimmimg, no chop. If you want to keep your hair from clumping, gemtle blowdrying could be the way, but even then... hair will always look a bit messier at the end of the day. I would try not to obsess over it. You seemed to enjoy braided hairstyles alot and it think right now cutting alot wouldnt be very beneficial to that. As for my own hair, i found out that smaller changes and a bit more patience make all the difference. Before i joined here i used to trimm so excessively that my hair would stay at waist/hip for quite a looong time. And let me tell you, there is no such thing as zero taper, its always goingto be a little bit like that.

spidermom
April 14th, 2015, 06:55 AM
I agree - there's no such thing as zero taper. There is also no such thing as all one length. You've probably noticed that you shed hairs every day. You also grow new hairs every day. There are always going to be hairs of a lot of different lengths in your hair.

But your hair looks awesome! Tiny trims every couple of months and good care will keep it that way.

Swan Maiden
April 14th, 2015, 10:20 AM
I think your hair appears healthy and full. Your hemline looks so clean. I think the only way to know about changing your circumference would be to measure, but it seems safe to say you are a ii. I love your color also. Keep doing what you are doing, it is working!

Larki
April 14th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Your hair rocks, I'd leave it alone!

yahirwaO.o
April 14th, 2015, 09:54 PM

Well I thought clumps would turn themselves into stringiness.... My worst enemy LOL... Some people in the past used to tell me it looked awful now I undertand it is totally acceptable, but Im fond of an uniform look.

Im also for microtrimmimg, no chop. If you want to keep your hair from clumping, gemtle blowdrying could be the way, but even then... hair will always look a bit messier at the end of the day. I would try not to obsess over it. You seemed to enjoy braided hairstyles alot and it think right now cutting alot wouldnt be very beneficial to that. As for my own hair, i found out that smaller changes and a bit more patience make all the difference. Before i joined here i used to trimm so excessively that my hair would stay at waist/hip for quite a looong time. And let me tell you, there is no such thing as zero taper, its always goingto be a little bit like that.

Well Minako, this statement seems to make total sense, I used to get a big cut like once or twice a year and it would always end up not being that nice. Patience has played such a great part in making it look the way it fits my mind better and micro trimming seems to be my way to go :p

I don't think you need to cut it at all! The hemline looks so good, the ends look thick and healthy to me :) (Tries to repress jealousy) :pinktongue:

I have to say thank you all for the nice comments....First, Im working my way on making it look as thick as I can, and then want to let it grow till my chest (Bsl in girl terms) but not until fuller looking hair is archived.

Im probably gonna post some braid pictures just to show more the actual taper.... I like braids but they kinda intimidate me because they compress! And also mesure my ponytail properly.