PDA

View Full Version : Hair Stick Longlocks

atlantaz3
March 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.longlocks.com/cakespecialedition-monetstix-hair-sticks.htm
I really like this Longlocks hair stick and have asked for a rec'd pricing for the single stick. I'm in a bit of sticker shock, but I haven't bought hair toys or make up this year - gasp!
For those you who own one of her sticks please tell me the good and the bad. Do they break easily, are there any special care instructions? If I'm going to order I need to do so soon, :cheese:10th anniversary trip to Paris in May and would like to have some nicer hair toys for trip.
Side bar - feel free to enable with other sites of pretties.
Thanks

lora410
March 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
wooow that is insane for 1 single hair stick!!!! the most I have paid is 30 per stick. If you go on e-bay and search for hair sticks you will find a ton of them. Also etsy has alot of beautiful hairsticks as well. Here (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=10213163) Here is a beauty. I beleive the maker is on LHC here.

lavenderblue
March 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I like the style of a lot of her sticks, and then I look at the price and go :agape: personally I think its madness to pay that much for a pair of sticks, but then again graydogs are even more expensive (and I think that's even more madness ;)) personally I won't pay that much, because I think its way overpriced.

lora410
March 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I like the style of a lot of her sticks, and then I look at the price and go :agape: personally I think its madness to pay that much for a pair of sticks, but then again graydogs are even more expensive (and I think that's even more madness ;)) personally I won't pay that much, because I think its way overpriced.

I paid 30$ for my graydog hairpin and it is by far the best hairstick i've owned. Now the forks can get a wee bit expensive when bidding. They haven't had any on auction except knitting needles in quite some time

LifeisAdventure
March 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hi atlantaz3! I highly recommend yourcrowningglory on Etsy for similar styles. If you're interested in more casual, natural styles, thefargrove and speharb are two other wonderful Etsy sellers. Good luck! :)

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I am *very* suspicious of people who charge way too much for their sticks. That stick you linked to better have 14 karat gold and real diamonds for that price! You can only make a stick so nice, after a certain point it's the seller who's just charging for his/her inflated ego.

I further recommend yourcrowninglory. Her sticks are nice, sturdy, and the shipping cost isn't absurdly high. I also love love maiden's treasures (not on etsy). High quality sticks and high quality materials, and they are open to custom orders. Prices are reasonable; I've never seen anything over 36 bucks. And most stuff is 30 and under.

Peggy E.
March 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Those sticks are gorgeous and there does seem to be a well-established clientele with plenty of repeat buyers.

It's purely a subjective matter, whether an item is "worth" what the artist is requesting. The high-end items are guaranteed, you know you are getting the highest quality materials and know-how, there's a lot riding on the satisfaction of their buyers.

Yet you can get lovely items for much less money, and be pleased with the results. Whether you will be getting the same level of craftsmanship, the highest quality materials, maybe not. But maybe you are getting the "next" Graydog, or finding you can order two nice sets of sticks with what you would have paid for the one striking set.

Only you can make that sort of decision. Such a gorgeous stick, though; one you will have for years to come if you care of it properly. And it sounds like you're looking to procure it for a very special event, too, which tips the scale towards the Longlocks stick, too.

A once in a lifetime purchase for a once in a lifetime trip, maybe? You are not going to be disappointed in the expensive stick, so long as you are willing to spend the money and then let it go, not worry about the cost anymore.

atlantaz3
March 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi atlantaz3! I highly recommend yourcrowningglory on Etsy for similar styles. If you're interested in more casual, natural styles, thefargrove and speharb are two other wonderful Etsy sellers. Good luck! :)

I'm waiting on speharb to make a custom fork for me. He had to order the glass for a bead. Glad to hear he got good reviews. And I just realized I fibbed - I did order a dymondwood hair stick off etsy - blonde alzheimers. It was around $15. BTW the single stick is $59. The dh thought I was a bit mad, but it's my allowance so he won't fuss. I had made up my mind it was too much - then

Peggy E - ack! thanks for tipping the scales back. I'll sleep on it another night - been "waffling" for about a week now!
But you make a good point about having something really nice for the trip - particularly if I hold out and wear it for the first time there! I do tend to be the kind of person to save up and wait for what I really want rather than settling.

Peggy E.
March 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I am *very* suspicious of people who charge way too much for their sticks. That stick you linked to better have 14 karat gold and real diamonds for that price! You can only make a stick so nice, after a certain point it's the seller who's just charging for his/her inflated ego.

I further recommend yourcrowninglory. Her sticks are nice, sturdy, and the shipping cost isn't absurdly high. I also love love maiden's treasures (not on etsy). High quality sticks and high quality materials, and they are open to custom orders. Prices are reasonable; I've never seen anything over 36 bucks. And most stuff is 30 and under.

The price showing on the site link - wasn't that for a pair? Your single stick would have been more like, what, $40-$45? Which is, admittedly, a lot of money, but I've seen worse/higher priced sticks!

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Maybe, but 59 is still too much. With many of the sellers I patronize, I get two sticks for under 40. Most I've paid was 35 (for too sticks) and 20 for one. And, admittedly, I am a grad student, so what I am willing to pay is significantly lower than many people. I ultimately think if you can afford something and you want it, you oughta buy it. Plus, if it's your special item that you've been wanting for along time, you oughta get it, because then it's worth it. I was just saying that there are other *considerably* cheaper items that are just as nice. That's all.

ETA: atlantaz3, if you order a stick named Monet, you'll have to go to Monet's garden in Giverney (just outside Paris) and take pictures of your hair and this stick amongst the flowers. :)

Xandergrammy
March 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I own one pair of Longlocks sticks. I bought them last year because the price was relatively reasonable. Of course, they're not as fancy as these beauties you want. I don't think you'll be sorry if you buy this stick. One of LHC's members, Tessa, loves LongLocks sticks. Maybe you could check out her pictures or send her a PM and ask her some questions?

FWIW- I'm really cheap, but I'd spring for that stick if it was my 10th Anniversary and I was going to Paris. :flowers:

Here's a photo of my sticks in action. I enjoy wearing them, but was somewhat disappointed that they were shorter than I expected.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/09-10-07002.jpg

Robinlyn
March 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Wow! Thanks for all those links Lora410 & Lifeisadventure! Such unique pieces!
Edited to add...
Xandergrammy! Beautiful sticks to compliment that beautiful updo!!

Neon Gloss
March 20th, 2008, 04:15 PM
They're so pretty, but wow, the price makes you think twice...

Anje
March 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Personally, I wouldn't go for it, but that's because (1) they're too flashy, (2) they're pink, and (3) I'm an acknowledged cheapskate.

Cinnamon Hair
March 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Like others said, if that stick is what you have your heart set on, then that is what you should buy, because regardless of how many other sticks you could purchase for that price, you will never be as happy with them, because they aren't that one.

However, if you're just looking for a painted bone stick with a pretty topper, those are easy to find at much lower prices. Ebay is a good place to look..I have bought several from sellers there and was very happy with them. Maiden's Treasures also offers all their sticks to be placed on bone for the same price if you request it --but they don't paint the sticks.

One thing to know about bone sticks though, is they only come in 4.5" which is kinda short (but still usable) if you plan to grow to tailbone or further.

birdiefu
March 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have two pairs of Longlocks, and honestly I was expecting more when I got them. Like Cinnamon Hair stated, they are pretty much the generic 4.5" bone sticks (you can get in bulk for cheap) that are painted and with pretty toppers. I think the most of the cost is probably in the toppers, as many have Swarovski (sp?) or vintage components. But if you love those sticks you saw, I won't stop you. Just be careful using them at first as the lacquer on one of mine was still tacky when I got it and it smooshed a bit when I had the sticks crossed in my hair.

Some other hairstick makers that I like are Cattails Art (on ebay I think) and Maiden's Treasures.

thetokenlady
March 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I have a pair of Longlocks sticks, these ones:
http://www.longlocks.com/venetiannightfallspecialedition-hair-sticks.htm
They were very expensive ($95 US for the pair), but I got them with Christmas money. I use Christmas money for things that are a real splurge, and I got the First Edition of that design.

I really love them, but I think one pair is enough. They really are beautiful, and I get compliments every time I wear them. Yes, the sticks are 4.5". The sticks are also quite thick compared to some of my others, which makes them a bit harder to use. I also have to be careful of the toppers. The pin holding the top is sturdy, but I whacked them good getting into the car and bent one. I bent it back and all is fine.

I'm glad I got them. If I had more "mad money" and saw a pair I absolutely loved, I might get another pair. Right now though, I'm looking at other artists.

It's all in what you think is worth it. I wanted a pair because I think her style is unique and I'm not afraid to spend that kind of money if it's something I really want. If your hesitant about the price though, I'd think very hard. You can get beautiful sticks for much, much less. I kind of look at Longlocks as "designer" items, you're paying for the name as well as for the workmanship.

Enough rambling. Do you love it? Get it before it sells out!

AmandaPanda
March 20th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I own one pair of LL. I don't think mine were worth the price (approx $60, 6 years ago). The thin paper appliqué on my sticks started peeling within 5 or so uses. It was insinuated that it was somehow my fault, when it's pretty obvious there wasn't enough varnish. Hopefully the CS is better. Those are way too expensive for me. If I had the money, I'd probably shell out, but based on my past experience, I wouldn't buy form there again nor would I recommend them.

jessie58
March 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM
My LongLocks sticks are extremely durable and well made. To me I am paying for the art as well as the durability and materials. The materials are top notch and I might fancy a $10.00 stick as much as a $100.00 stick but if I love it and it makes me feel good, then to me, it is worth it. I've never had one break, or split or peel. Mind you, one day I yanked one out of my hair and caught it in a tangle and pulled out the topper which was easily fixed.

darkwaves
March 20th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I have some LongLocks sticks, too, and I really like them. They have an extra ... glittery? ... feel to them, and are fun to wear.

If that stick is what you have your heart set on, buy it. All artists are different, and I don't think anyone replicates the look of these sticks. Wear it, and be happy!

atlantaz3
March 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks again for all the replies - ladies you have some beautiful hair sticks!!
I did it! I bought:
http://www.longlocks.com/magicalmonetspecialedition-monetstix-hair-sticks.htm
Whew - new record for money spent on a hair toy - and I though ficcares are expensive.
This will be our 4th trip to Paris - I just love it there, but we haven't been back in about four years, I'm really excited. (The dh works for an airline.) Yes Monet garden is definitely on the schedule this trip and I hope to take many pictures. I also want to visit the Rodan museum - ever since seeing "The Kiss" at the Atlanta High Museum I have loved his work. The High has had a special Louve exhibit this past year and has shown many wonderful works that have never left France before!
Anyway - I'm not going to feel guilty about this - I'm going to spend the next eight weeks practicing updos and get that Celtic Knot done!
PS I really think Monet was near sighted which is why all his painting are blurry - but then so am I!

TammySue
March 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Enjoy! Just beautiful! I have been wanting to buy a hairstick or two from that site. They are just gorgeous!

Have a wonderful trip!! :)

Xandergrammy
March 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
:cheer: Enjoy!!!

jessie58
March 21st, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hairstick or no hairstick, your trips sounds wonderful, have a great time.

Kittee
March 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Beautiful but waaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond my budget. =) Have fun in Paris!