PDA

View Full Version : Really weird hairline. What do? Are genetics telling me to cut my hair?

Parisian Dozen
April 11th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I have a really messed up hairline. I don't even really know when it happened either. One day this last December I looked in the mirror and I realized that my hairline is really, really asymmetrical.I wanna believe that it's just my hairline maturing or something (I never had a really masculine hairline), but god am I scared that I'm balding or something. I watched for about 3 months and nothing grew back. My maternal grandfather never lost any - really it's quite full to this day. And my father didn't even start to thin until his late 40's (my uncles follow this but with less thinning). My brother's (2 and a half years older than me) hairline is perfectly symmetrical and full as well.This whole hairline business makes me SUPER insecure. Like, I will NEVER tie my hair back unless I have a hat, and I always middle/side part because of it. Any of you guys had this when you were my age? I mean, strictly on genetics I don't see why this is happening to me. I could just be a late bloomer when it comes to maturing hairlines, but... I dunno, it makes my future feel even more bleak than it already is.http://i.imgur.com/1AWD9Oo.jpgII don't have luck... or wit for the time being... Sorry about that... Have fun with my boring thread... ;_;

cocoahair
April 11th, 2015, 06:51 PM
if it makes you feel any better I just looked at my hair line and it isn't exactly perfectly symmetrical either and we are about the same age although I am not sure it is age related like you speculated. I think part of it may just be that perfect symmetry is not possible in humans but I see no reason to worry you are balding from your picture. It looks like a normal hairline that just has a unique line:flower:

cat11
April 11th, 2015, 06:55 PM
omg it's not that bad.

I see a little curve in the mid right that I think you're referring to as the unneven-ness, but this could be caused by something pulling more on that side, or a hat rubbing there in that spot, a hat tag rubbing on the spot... SOMETHING that rubs on the spot.

Either way, my good (male) freind had a lot of hair line receding and thinning at the end of his teens and early 20s, and it didn't look like that. It went back from the triangular corners. Further and further before he finally decided his hair looked like scraggly "crypt keeper" hair in his words, and he cut it. He hated cutting it and really put it off, wore hats for a long time before cutting it, but eventually he accepted it and got over it. Even if it does happen, although it will be upsetting, as a guy it's much more socially easy to get thinning hair and it won't be the end of the world.

That said, I don't think you're nessecarily thinning, it could be mechanical damage since it's in such a spot.

edit: and like the above poster said, it looks like it could be totally in the realm of the natural because I had to LOOK to find that "irregular" spot. :)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
April 11th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Looks pretty normal to me... I mean since you pointed it out, it is asymmetrical, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people have asymmetrical hairlines. I never would have noticed it if you hadn't said anything, and there is certainly no reason to be embarrassed about tying your hair back.

gthlvrmx
April 11th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I think most people, as they age, have less hair anyways. It may just be a small difference but I think people who are older have less thick hair as when they were young. Your hairline looks fine to me! You're lucky your hairs on the hairline grow long, mine are growing slowly so I have a "poof" on the front of my hairline.

Parisian Dozen
April 11th, 2015, 07:13 PM
omg it's not that bad.Hey! Melodrama is my middle name! I take offense to that (not really - I can't blame you)
I see a little curve in the mid right that I think you're referring to as the unneven-ness, but this could be caused by something pulling more on that side, or a hat rubbing there in that spot, a hat tag rubbing on the spot... SOMETHING that rubs on the spot.Sometimes I wear a buff when it gets hot. Do you think that might be it, if that's the case? Usually it's above the hairline, though... :/It's just so weird how that one part on the right side just snaps out. I dunno.Ok, seriously: CAN ANYONE ELSE OF YOU NOT SPACE LINES RIGHT NOW?! THE WALLS OF TEXT MAKE ME FEEL CLAUSTROPHOBIC.

EdG
April 11th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Parisian Dozen - That does not look at all like receding temples. Don't worry; you have plenty of hair.
Ed

Parisian Dozen
April 11th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Parisian Dozen - That does not look at all like receding temples. Don't worry; you have plenty of hair.EdSorry, I didn't make it very clear about what exactly concerned in the original post (some spacing would be nice right now). Everywhere but over my right eye looks as if it's receded. I'm not exactly worried about my temples so much as I am about the middle-ish area.

cat11
April 11th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Hey! Melodrama is my middle name! I take offense to that (not really - I can't blame you)Sometimes I wear a buff when it gets hot. Do you think that might be it, if that's the case? Usually it's above the hairline, though... :/It's just so weird how that one part on the right side just snaps out. I dunno.Ok, seriously: CAN ANYONE ELSE OF YOU NOT SPACE LINES RIGHT NOW?! THE WALLS OF TEXT MAKE ME FEEL CLAUSTROPHOBIC.

Not the most polite idea to complain in all caps about the elocution/text arrangement of the people who are trying to give you advice. >_>

That said, it could be it but I doubt it. I think its more like, since joining LHC you've probably been paying hyper attention to your hair and have just now noticed it's not stick straight. Like the others said, looks natural to me.

EdG
April 11th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Sorry, I didn't make it very clear about what exactly concerned in the original post (some spacing would be nice right now). Everywhere but over my right eye looks as if it's receded. I'm not exactly worried about my temples so much as I am about the middle-ish area.I wouldn't worry about it.
Ed

Parisian Dozen
April 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Not the most polite idea to complain in all caps about the elocution/text arrangement of the people who are trying to give you advice. >_>That said, it could be it but I doubt it. I think its more like, since joining LHC you've probably been paying hyper attention to your hair and have just now noticed it's not stick straight. Like the others said, looks natural to me.Nonononno!!!! I didn't mean it like that!!! What I was saying is that for some reason all of my post have gotten rid of my spaces between paragraphs! I was asking if you guys couldn't as well. I wasn't complaining about you guys. I love you all. You say nice things - comforting things! Don't hate me, that's my job.That may be the case, honestly. I wish I took more pictures of myself to compare - then I'd know for certain... Oh well...

Robot Ninja
April 11th, 2015, 07:56 PM
It looks like you just have a weird hairline.

One of the unfortunate side effects of joining LHC is that you start to notice all these things about your hair that you never noticed before, then freak out that you're losing your hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 11th, 2015, 08:08 PM
I can't see anything strange about your hairline. Just relax and enjoy your hair.

ZoSo
April 11th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Most people & girls will never notice. Just be thankful that you haven't started going bald. I remember a few kids in high school with balding heads. If you're really worried you can try caffeine or Monistat on your scalp.

Parisian Dozen
April 11th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Most people & girls will never notice. Just be thankful that you haven't started going bald. I remember a few kids in high school with balding heads. If you're really worried you can try caffeine or Monistat on your scalp.I know a guy who's already started balding. Shame, too - he has such a lovely shade of ginger hair... kinda makes up for it though with his sick beard...But this caffeine/monistat shenanigance! Where could I find more information on this?

maborosi
April 11th, 2015, 09:35 PM
ParisianDozen- I, too have an uneven hairline. I have a weird, small rectangle section that sticks out and the rest is further back.

missrandie
April 11th, 2015, 10:53 PM
It's all good! I have an uneven widow's peak- not only is the peak not in the center of my forehead, but the hairline on the left of the peak is about 3/8 of an inch higher than on the other side. I'd like to think it's a messed up cowlick or something, but I know I just have a rather asymmetrical face in general. Each side has its own personality! lol

Federica
April 12th, 2015, 11:20 AM
My hairline is similar to yours, pretty asymmetrical, but it never bothered me.
It doesn't seem at all that you're going bald to me :)

Arctic
April 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I sometimes get the issue of not being able to put spaces in my posts. Re-starting my browser helps (make sure cookies are cleared).

To me your hairline looks really dense. Unsymmetry is natural, no-one has symmetric body.

gwenalyn
April 12th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Your hairline looks normal to me. Shortly after I found LHC was the first time I really looked at my hairline, and, yep, it's super weird. I think we just don't notice until we look.

MINAKO
April 12th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Oh my, thats nothing. I mean it does not look like its any realted to balding at all. If it makes you feel better, my hairline is perfectly symmetrical, but looks like a mandala for some reason (up down up down...) and i wear my hair back every day.
What i do is plucking the peak that comes down right in the middle tho. However, i would not recommend for you to remove hair on one side, just leave it as it is.
This idea about symmetry does not always apply, or everyone would look like a freakin monster with a side part already.
Its not as obvious as you think it is.

EF
April 12th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Looks perfectly normal and not receding in the slightest. I would not give your hairline a second glance in the street, there is nothing to feel insecure about.

spidermom
April 12th, 2015, 01:16 PM
My goodness, stop picking on yourself. If your hairline bothers you, spend a lot less time in front of the mirror. I can pretty much guarantee you that your asymmetrical hairline doesn't bother anybody else. And if it does, boo on them. Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

No, your genetics isn't telling you to cut your hair. The only reason to cut it is if you want a different style.

cat11
April 12th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Nonononno!!!! I didn't mean it like that!!! What I was saying is that for some reason all of my post have gotten rid of my spaces between paragraphs! I was asking if you guys couldn't as well. I wasn't complaining about you guys. I love you all. You say nice things - comforting things! Don't hate me, that's my job.That may be the case, honestly. I wish I took more pictures of myself to compare - then I'd know for certain... Oh well...

Ach, sorry. I think I was having a bad day yesterday lol. I sounded pretty snippy

Zugar
April 12th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Nja, your hairline donīt look bad at all. To me, anyway. My hairline is really wonky itself, and I constantly pull my hair back into some sort of īdo almost every day.

And on the balding: my fiancé has very little hair growth on his head. He is 36, and started balding around... hmmm, early 20ies? Itīs been very gradual, and he prefers no hair at all, so itīs kind of a win-win situation. Same with his older brother. And actually a classmate of him too. Point is; it happened gradually all over, not just suddenly decrease in hairline :)

lapushka
April 12th, 2015, 03:27 PM
I see nothing wrong with your hairline, only that you seem to have an "extra" (yes EXTRA) piece on one side. It's not receding. It's not doing anything. It's quite full, actually, so stop obsessing now, or you'll be in for "issues".

Sharysa
April 12th, 2015, 08:39 PM
You're fine. I only see slightly thinner temples (a lot of people have thin temple areas) and a wonky bit on the right side of the picture (your left?). Sometimes people just have odd bits in their hairline. It's not a sign that your hair's receding or that something's wrong.

Doreen
April 12th, 2015, 08:54 PM
As many other have already said, I don't think there is any cause for alarm. It could very well be naturally asymmetrical, and maybe you had just never noticed it before that point in time!

And honestly, not to try to scare you or anything, but if it is receding, so what? Ultimately there is not much you can do about that, and the stress of concerning yourself over it could even accelerate the loss. If you wanna grow your hair out, the vague possibility of one day losing your hair shouldn't be what causes you to cut it -- if anything, it might make you enjoy it more while you can! If it falls out, you can cross that bridge when you come to it, but still have it long in the present and enjoy it, if that is your goal.

But again, it doesn't look like it's balding at all, anyway. Looks nice and thick!! :cheer:

yahirwaO.o
April 12th, 2015, 09:01 PM
It looks just fine.... I dont have a manly hairline either... But it does not affect me because I rarely ever wear my hair slicked back or pushed back. Not worrys

hennalonghair
April 12th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Looks perfectly normal to me
I think you are fussin over nothin'

Zugar
April 13th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Might be a stupid question, but what exactly is a manly hairline?

Parisian Dozen
April 13th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Might be a stupid question, but what exactly is a manly hairline?

I've always considered it well defined temples, which I've never had.

furnival
April 13th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Perfect symmetry is not a natural feature of the human form. There is nothing wrong with your hairline; if you want something to worry about, consider that there is a generation of humans who are convinced there is something drastically wrong with them because they don't resemble the flawless, symmetrical, inhuman images of perfection they see on their screens and billboards and magazine covers.

ETA: I hope that doesn't come across as belittling your worries, I just despair sometimes when people's confidence is needlessly destroyed because normality is seen as a flaw.

Zugar
April 13th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Aha.... To be honest, Iīve never thought of anything as neither feminine nor masculine hairline :)

Deborah
April 13th, 2015, 02:41 PM
You are worrying over nothing. Your hairline is perfectly normal. If you simply don't like the shape and the way it looks, then yes, a traditional short mens' haircut would make the outline of your hairline less noticeable, but there is nothing wrong with it or odd about it.

brickworld13
April 13th, 2015, 02:54 PM
It looks great. I wouldn't be worried about it at all. Btw, I love the color of your eyes. :flower:

gwenalyn
April 13th, 2015, 04:23 PM

Well, I have a manly hairline then! I generally try to dress female w/ masculine fashion elements, so I guess it fits!