PDA

View Full Version : How to determine true hair thickness

Arwenlily
April 11th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I'm not convinced on my thickness, whether it is ii or iii or even ii/iii. When I put my hair up in ponytail towards the back of my head and I measure the circumference, it is usually about 5 inches. However, I don't think my hair looks like it is iii because from my shoulders to the rest of my length, my hair gradually gets thinner to where the ends are pretty tiny. I think this is because of breakage, the result of previous hair dying and mechanical damage. I could really be doing better but I since my ends are damaged, anything I do is damaging.

But anyway, what is truly my hair thickness? Where my pony tail sits or the rest of my hair?

burny
April 11th, 2015, 05:31 PM
thickness is measured at pony tail: a taper is fully normal, and different people have varying amounts of taper

kidari
April 11th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure it's at the base of a compact pony tail when it's dry. Taper doesn't mean breakage necessarily. Hair is in a different growth cycle all over your head so every single hair can never be the same length at any time even if you never have bangs or layers.

Arwenlily
April 11th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty sure it's at the base of a compact pony tail when it's dry. Taper doesn't mean breakage necessarily. Hair is in a different growth cycle all over your head so every single hair can never be the same length at any time even if you never have bangs or layers.

This is a very interesting point you made about growth cycle; I had not even considered this. Is there a way to truly tell what the taper is from?

And if I measure the base of a compact pony tail when dry, it comes out to 4 inches. When I do a pony tail higher on my head and measure, it is usually about 5 inches. I wonder why this is ...

hennalonghair
April 11th, 2015, 09:55 PM
That's interesting that you get different readings.
If you measured either 4 or 5 then you are still in the iii category. I've never tried measuring from a high ponytail so didn't notice a difference with mine.

yogagirl
April 11th, 2015, 10:58 PM
With your curls, I'm not surprised you get such different numbers. It all depends on how much you compact your hair when making the ponytail for measuring.

I have a slightly wavy, coarse and kinky hair. It is frizzy especially the day after a wash. Day 2 after a wash my hair is considerably sleeker. I get about a 1 inch difference when I measure on a wavy and frizzy day, versus a sleek day.

Panth
April 12th, 2015, 06:05 AM
This is a very interesting point you made about growth cycle; I had not even considered this. Is there a way to truly tell what the taper is from?

And if I measure the base of a compact pony tail when dry, it comes out to 4 inches. When I do a pony tail higher on my head and measure, it is usually about 5 inches. I wonder why this is ...

It's probably because of one of two things:

1) Curls make compaction of ponytail variable and thickness difficult to measure.

2) You may have a fair amount of new growth. The bits coming from the upper part / front of your head won't reach a nape ponytail until they're 6+" long, but they will reach a higher ponytail. Your thickness difference may come from whether or not you are including these hairs in your ponytail.