PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out this hairstyle please?

cat11
April 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone :)

I've been interested in chinese hairstyles for a long time now. I have wanted to do this type of bun for awhile, but I can't figure it out. I thought, well maybe you take a ponytail, and then wrap each section into a loop and pin it, and then somehow get the ribbon in between. But that doesn't quite seem right to me because there wouldn't be much to wrap the ribbon around. Ive had no luck finding instructions online since I cant figure out what it's called. ONE website called it a hammer bun but that doesn't seem to be universal. Here it is :

http://hairextensions-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Hammer-bun.jpg

I dont really care about the side lock styling, just the double sided bun thats tied in the middle. I wish I had more pics because I see this style a lot in chinese dramas, and it looks better on real hair than a drawing. Its like two loops with a tie in the middle... but how do you do it...

another hairstyle trick i'd love to figure out is this looped style, which since google was really failing me i could only find on a cartoon character, but I've definately seen it on real people!!

http://static.zerochan.net/Saiunkoku.Monogatari.full.1017009.jpg

linked because its very large. I'm good at wrapping and doing my hair up with ribbon and cord, as I think these styled were meant to be done. I just need some tips!

Thanks for anything you can come up with!

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I'm afraid those hairstyles had "hair pieces". So I'm thinking it's quite hard to replicate.

meteor
April 11th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I know this isn't the same thing, but maybe a variation of the "bow bun" ("hair bow") can help you achieve a similar look?

Here it is from Hairstyle of the Month for March 2015: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130040

neko_kawaii
April 11th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I wonder if it could be done with a bow bun. . . (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130040)

neko_kawaii
April 11th, 2015, 03:19 PM
*chuckle* Reminds me I haven't come up with a style for April.

cat11
April 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Wow, thanks meteor and neko_kawaii. I could wrap the ribbon around the bow part, or use ribbon instead. Definitely very helpful!! Except, how to I get the loops to be with the hole showing, and not the flat side?

Lapushka, I think some of the more complicated hairstyles had hair peices, but I don't know about those. Ive seen them done in very messy ways on children which makes me think it's a matter of tying it correctly?

edit: I think just using bobby pins could get it facing the right way. Saw some very cool pics on the bow bun thread. off to expirement..

Lolino
April 11th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I've been trying to figure out the second hairstyle as well, mostly since I love Saiunkoku Monogatari :) And I've seen the style in other series as well, never on actors though. I imagine it involves at least something to make the hair stiff enough to hold the shape in place. Maybe metal wire? :p

This page https://cfensi.wordpress.com/2015/01/15/wu-zetian-whips-her-hair-around-a-glimpse-at-tang-dynasty-hairstyles/
Has very small descriptions of how to make those styles, and a version of the loops is on there at least. Also has the chinese names, which might help with further googling? Googling the dynasty or time period you have in mind may also work.
Hurray for huge fancy drama budget to give so many hairstyles.

But hair pieces are probably required for at least some of those.

cat11
April 11th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I've been trying to figure out the second hairstyle as well, mostly since I love Saiunkoku Monogatari :) And I've seen the style in other series as well, never on actors though. I imagine it involves at least something to make the hair stiff enough to hold the shape in place. Maybe metal wire? :p

This page https://cfensi.wordpress.com/2015/01/15/wu-zetian-whips-her-hair-around-a-glimpse-at-tang-dynasty-hairstyles/
Has very small descriptions of how to make those styles, and a version of the loops is on there at least. Also has the chinese names, which might help with further googling? Googling the dynasty or time period you have in mind may also work.
Hurray for huge fancy drama budget to give so many hairstyles.

But hair pieces are probably required for at least some of those.

Ooh, thank you so much. I enjoyed Saiunkoku monogatari too! I really like anime and asian dramas. And I loved the hair. I did find one bit of info, which was that sometimes people did use wire or STICKS to create the loops. I can see smoothing out a very thin twig and having it be just flexible enough for that!!

edit: after reading, I really likt the double buns with loops one and I think I could do that using tips from a you tube vid "chinese princess hair". Making the loops that fall downward around a bun is pretty easy, but the ones by themselves I havent been able to get.

FuzzyBlackWaves
April 11th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Curl your hair around itself in several loops to form a simple bun. Use a hair tie to wrap around the base of the bun once, then pull the second loop of the tie on top of the middle of the bun. Tada, super easy. :)

cat11
April 11th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Curl your hair around itself in several loops to form a simple bun. Use a hair tie to wrap around the base of the bun once, then pull the second loop of the tie on top of the middle of the bun. Tada, super easy. :)

You're amazing. Unfortunately my hair is too short/thick for that right now. My second coil doesn't quite complete despite being an inch or two away from waist. But I'll remember that..

edit: tried the bow bun only to end up "aaaargh"ing in frustration. I had a hard time separating the front from the loops without catching the loops. Ill try this again in the future I think it's just that I only washed my hair yesterday and its too floaty and not quite heavy and solid enough yet. Lol the weirdness of fine wavy hair :(