PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE....Silica Silylate DISASTER - how to remove .. clarifying shampoo?

copperlites
April 10th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Ok, so I bought some "Moroccan gloss Styling dust" containing Silica Silylate, which i hoped would add a bit of lift to may hair on day 3 and allow me to stretch washes out. Well.. as I was applying it, the lid came off and i was covered in an avalanche as THE WHOLE BOTTLE cam out on my head. It must have been quite a funny sight as i disappeared into a cloud of white ... well my hair is not laughing, it was like a big ball of cotton candy, all matted and stuck together....I had to get straight in the shower and have done 3 shampoos and 2 conditioners but it still does not feel clean or smooth. Do need to do a clarifying shampoo? An oiling? I'm a bit afraid oiling it might seal the stuff in... or maybe I need a moisturising treatment? Id really appreciate any advice from any of you more experienced "hair chemists" . I will be writing a very uncomplimentary letter to the manufacturer of this particular brand.. Edward Beale.... about the loose lid...

Lyv
April 10th, 2015, 10:42 PM
I would clarify and then deep condition. I've never used that but clarify+deep condition is my instant go to for everything.

Addy
April 10th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Oh my gosh! I don't know but what a mess!

Arctic
April 11th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Oh my that sounds bad! Even a shake from mine (different brand) has a big effect on my hair (which I love), I can't even imagine what a whole bottle would do!

My bottle says it's removed with next shampooing, so you are on a right tract, especially if your shampoo is sulphate-based. I would clarify if normal shampoo does not help (with a shampoo specifically saying it's clarifying). Moisturizing yes, after all that shampooing your hair needs it. Conditioners might not get rid of the stuff, but it's otherwise helpful.

copperlites
April 11th, 2015, 04:44 AM
My regular shampoo (x3) and conditioning dod not get rid of it, still felt like fairy floss and had no shine, So have done clarifying shampoo x 2 followed by a SMT ... feels SOOO much better so now just waiting for it to dry. If it is still looking dull I will oil it overh=night tonight and then repeat the regular wash cycle tomorrow. Thanks for your advice Arctic and Lyv.

butter52
April 11th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Honestly, it might sound extreme but i would try something hardcore like dishwashing soap ( using it once cant hurt that bad), and if it stil doesnt work i would try adding first half a bottle of oil.

Dissclamer: no idea or experience on silica.

( thats what i do to remove stuff from things, first try water and soap, if not try dissolve in oil first and then soap, if not, i go for acetone but dont do that on your head)

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 07:03 AM
I would drown my hair in oil and then CO wash the crap out of it, i dont know about that particular ingredient but the chances that it will penetrate hair and stay "locked in" are pretty low. after washing i would finish with my acidic rinse and thats it. I really think oild and conditioners are the most gently when it comes to removing stuff like this.

Anje
April 11th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I've got another suggestion: mermaid soak to rinse. Maybe a couple times. I'm thinking that maybe standing to rinse is just not sufficient to get it all out, so more water in between your hairs might help, especially in combination with shampoo.

Obviously, condition afterward, even if it's still not all out. The stuff has to be drying to your hair even before all this washing, so moisture seems a good idea.

Eta: OK, read the whole thread, Anje! XD Glad it's doing better!