PDA

View Full Version : Where do you split the most?

texangrrl
April 10th, 2015, 01:07 PM
I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed something like this happening to them, but I've noticed throughout the years that my hairs that grow from the section of hair around the nape of my neck to about three inches up always seem to split the most and be damaged more easily than the rest of my hairs. I'm just curious if anyone else has a section of hair that is more fragile or splits more easily than the rest of your hairs?

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 01:11 PM
I just notice that my nape hairs tend to "tangle" around each other more and that they are shorter. But splits? Not really.

blue_eyes
April 10th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Most of my splits happen at the very ends of my hair, or 1-2 inches up, but always at the hair towards the front of my face & almost nothing at the back. The ends of my hair are very dry and dye damaged, so I'm not surprised they split, but I have no idea why it seems to only happen in in the front and not at the back.

Yarrow
April 10th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I split wherever my hair comes in contact with a hair tie, so either at the end or higher up.
I really think going hair tie free would help tremendously for me.

texangrrl
April 10th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Lol, maybe I should've clarified that better? My hair splits at the ends or an inch or two up - but it's almost always from that back section. That same section tangles very easily too. What gets me though, is it doesn't seem to be a different texture than the rest of my hairs. If anyone has any insight as to why the back section of hair is like that, it would be most helpful and appreciated! :)

Olavi
April 10th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I have this weird patch of hair on the right side of my head, that splits like crazy! Few weeks ago I mentioned it to my mom, and she told me that it's been always like that, ever since I was a little kid. Apparently it was that same spot that had MASSIVE matted tangle that I ended up cutting when I was six (this led to my first bob cut).

I just didn't notice it before, because I either had short hair or I used lots of coney stuff.

Yarrow
April 10th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Well, hair splits through either physical or chemical trauma being brought to the hair shaft. So most likely the part with the split ends experiences more friction then the rest. If it's the back of head next to nape perhaps , necklaces, scarves or a rough pillow case?

Anje
April 10th, 2015, 02:07 PM
It tends to be the hairs around the perimeter of my head, which are also finer hairs than the stuff way in the middle of my scalp. Usually the hemline isn't bad at all, but I can find splits scattered throughout the length, usually on those finer, more fragile hairs. S&D's the only way to fix 'em!

ETA: It's worth mentioning that except for the little wispy parts (which do curl sporadically), my nape isn't an especially different texture from the rest of my hair. The people who have a whole nape section that's curlier tend to have way more problems with that sort of thing!

missblueeyes
April 10th, 2015, 02:10 PM
My underlayer. It's babyfine and I could probably s&d it daily and still find white dots and splits. The rest is at the very bottom of my hair and I usually only get tiny baby splits.

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Min doesmt split at all, but i do have fairy knots sometimes and mostly find them in the nape sections as well.

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 02:14 PM
This stuff is probably individual and really depends a lot on fineness/coarseness of different layers of hair and how you groom and style hair.

For me, the hair that developed splits/white dots was always the hair that got brushed the most - and that's the hair that also has blonde highlights (chemical damage) and is also naturally fine - my canopy hair is the most fragile, for sure.
My underlayers are very thick/coarse/smooth - I never saw splits there (including on the nape) even when I abused my hair.
I think in my case, mechanical damage and exposure to the elements was probably the biggest component for developing splits, as I haven't seen any splits yet since throwing away my brushes and learning to put hair up.

Hurven
April 10th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I hardly ever find split ends, but when I do they are always on the ends of the hair on the left side of my head. I never find them on the right side of my head for some reason. :confused:

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 04:43 PM
I hardly ever find split ends, but when I do they are always on the ends of the hair on the left side of my head. I never find them on the right side of my head for some reason. :confused:

Do you tend to sleep on the left side? :hmm:

I think whenever there is some damage in a specific location, it's important to think through the whole day and all the exposure that hair has to sustain to pillows, chairs, bobby pins, hair-toy positioning, hats, hoods, scarves, sun, etc, etc...

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Those hair are rubbing against your clothes, and pillows (if you wear your hair up during the night), and car seats (again, if up), and get tangled in necklaces. Winter gear is probably worse than summery clothes (if you live in cold climate, that is). Scarves, hats, collars...

Hurven
April 10th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Do you tend to sleep on the left side? :hmm:

I think whenever there is some damage in a specific location, it's important to think through the whole day and all the exposure that hair has to sustain to pillows, chairs, bobby pins, hair-toy positioning, hats, hoods, scarves, sun, etc, etc...

That actually makes sense! I always sleep on my left side. Thank you for clearing that up for me! :D

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 05:02 PM
That actually makes sense! I always sleep on my left side. Thank you for clearing that up for me! :D

No problem! :D I guess then may I suggest sleeping on some smooth material (silk fabric or something made with satin weave) - either a smooth pillowcase or a sleep cap or just wrapping your hair or your pillow with a silky scarf... Also, what might help is just containing/braiding hair and keeping it above your head in a braid/bun, so your head won't be rubbing against the ends? :flower:

Hurven
April 10th, 2015, 05:30 PM
No problem! :D I guess then may I suggest sleeping on some smooth material (silk fabric or something made with satin weave) - either a smooth pillowcase or a sleep cap or just wrapping your hair or your pillow with a silky scarf... Also, what might help is just containing/braiding hair and keeping it above your head in a braid/bun, so your head won't be rubbing against the ends? :flower:
About a month ago, I switched to using a satin pillowcase. I will also start sleeping with my hair in braids. Thank you for your suggestions! :)

yogagirl
April 10th, 2015, 07:49 PM
My hair doesn't split much, but I do have an area about an inch behind my ear where the hairs feels very different. Extremely coarse and very kinky. These hairs break very easily which is kind of similar to your section that splits more easily. I don't think it's uncommon to have the odd section of scalp that produces different hair from the rest of the scalp.

Aurum
April 10th, 2015, 08:05 PM
When my hair does split, it's mostly at the bottom where my hair tie rubs. A braid is my go-to style, and I probably wear it way too often. I've been trying to diversify a bit lately, so I hope it helps.

spidermom
April 10th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Nape for me. The first time I looked at those nape hairs, almost every single one was split.

HintOfMint
April 10th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Nape hairs for me too, giant mats if I'm not careful. It's the friction from clothes. I just trim regularly and S&D those areas.

FuzzyBlackWaves
April 11th, 2015, 06:18 AM
The underneath side sections, right at the ends of my hair split the most because they're shorter than the rest and tend to fall out of protective updos.

*ReiKa*
April 11th, 2015, 06:41 AM
All the outer part of my hair is the one that splits the most.
I guess that's because it is more subject to everything: wind, heat, cold etc, whereas the hair hidden inside (and closer to my back) are more shielded.

YvetteVarie
April 13th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Nape hair. My hair here has a totally different curl pattern, and its very kinky and dry. When I straightened my hair in August 2014, I used less heat on the nape, and I had so many splits compared with the rest of my head where I used high heat and had very few splits