PDA

View Full Version : Botticelli curlies unite!

Auni
April 10th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Recently I've been getting PM's about my hair properties and curly routine, so I thought I'd start a thread for my curl type- Botticelli- where I'll post my routine and we can all swap ideas!
First off, I have fine, dense hair with low porosity. I can easily air dry it in a bun and have it look like this until next wash
http:// (http://<a href=&quot;http://postimg.org/image/eip78fxlf/&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;>http://s5.postimg.org/eip78fxlf/20150408_180346_resized.jpg</a>)http://s5.postimg.org/eip78fxlf/20150408_180346_resized.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/eip78fxlf/)
I can also blow dry it on low/warm and easily be a straighty, like this
http:// (http://<a href=&quot;http://postimg.org/image/6elohg0k3/&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;>http://s5.postimg.org/6elohg0k3/20150409_115803_resized.jpg</a>)http://s5.postimg.org/6elohg0k3/20150409_115803_resized.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6elohg0k3/)
And then I can wear it curly, see my siggy.
I have 1c hair at my nape, then it progressively gets wavier until the canopy where it's 3a. I often have wavy hair with crazy frizz until the ends where they curl-unless I do the following!
When I wear it curly I wash with a sulfate shampoo with no cones and use a deep conditioner without cones, I love biologe conditioning balm, otherwise I'm a die hard pantene addict when I'm not curly!
I detangle with conditioner in, in the shower then rinse out, and when I'm done, I'll squeeze some, but not all of the water out, my hair still drips. Before I do anything, I flip my head over and apply a cream or serum. Right now I love paul mitchell's round trip, it has magnesium sulfate in it which enhances curl pattern and formation> I probably use about 2 pools in my palm worth of it, and I scrunch it in good, from ends to scalp. A word of warning- magnesium sulfate can be VERY drying if used to frequently and often! Then I apply a gel the same way as the serum, currently bioterra gel, but any firm hold stuff will usually do. I scrunch everything in until you get a good squooshing sound when you squeeze up. At this point I plop for about 30 minutes. Here's a plopping link, I use an old t-shirthttp://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop/ ,then I diffuse using the pixie method- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/34025-what-pixie-curl-diffusing-method.html
I don't diffuse it totally dry, it's still probably 25% wet and I let it air dry from then on. When it's dry, its hard and crunchy, the gel has formed a cast on the curls, and I scrunch from the ends up to break this cast, and I get soft, smooth, shiny curls and ringlets!
So come on over other botticellies and we can share success and failure!!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 10th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Yeaaay love this thread!!:D Thank you for all the great advices, I can't wait to try them!! As a "new" botticelli girl I don't have so much to share yet, but will do once I have gotten some experience dealing with my natural hair! Your advices are really helping me a lot and also making me excited about being a botticelli! :*

gwenalyn
April 10th, 2015, 01:37 PM
I'm the opposite of a Botticelli, but can I say I looooove this hair type. I've always wanted it.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 10th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I'm the opposite of a Botticelli, but can I say I looooove this hair type. I've always wanted it.

Ive always wanted your hair type haha :D I've been straightening my hair forever, until almost 4 weeks ago when I decided I have to stop:p I guess we always want the opposite of what we have :)

vega
April 10th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Hey another bottecilli here

Chocowalnut
April 10th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Mine is very fine too and can be pretty curly (3a). I also relate to hair getting curlier as you go down, but sometimes my hair gets really curly at the roots, it really just depends. And when I blow dry it it doesn't really go straight though it turns into waves. I think I might be this it sounds like my hair, but not sure.

rhosyn_du
April 10th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I have botticelli curls at my nape and temples, with a 2b wavy canopy that gets ropy, sausage curls in the last couple inches. My hair can look properly curly if I use magnesium sulfate and/or diffuse, but mag sulfate makes my hair crispy and I try to avoid heat styling, so I usually just settle for wavy-wurly.

Auni
April 10th, 2015, 10:50 PM
The grass is always greener! I usually wear my hair with the bun waves, sooo much easier to deal with!

Hey another bottecilli here
Welcome!:toast:

Mine is very fine too and can be pretty curly (3a). I also relate to hair getting curlier as you go down, but sometimes my hair gets really curly at the roots, it really just depends. And when I blow dry it it doesn't really go straight though it turns into waves. I think I might be this it sounds like my hair, but not sure.
Could be! Welcome!:flower:

I have botticelli curls at my nape and temples, with a 2b wavy canopy that gets ropy, sausage curls in the last couple inches. My hair can look properly curly if I use magnesium sulfate and/or diffuse, but mag sulfate makes my hair crispy and I try to avoid heat styling, so I usually just settle for wavy-wurly.
Sounds familiar! Have you tried adjusting the amount of mag sulfate by making your own spray? You get really good control over the amount this way!
Welcome!:sun:

Auni
April 10th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Yeaaay love this thread!!:D Thank you for all the great advices, I can't wait to try them!! As a "new" botticelli girl I don't have so much to share yet, but will do once I have gotten some experience dealing with my natural hair! Your advices are really helping me a lot and also making me excited about being a botticelli! :*

Anytime!:o

Calypso
April 10th, 2015, 11:03 PM
I'm so jealous, boticelli curls are gorgeous! No matter what I do to mine, it's always straight. :(

Lorzi
April 10th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Wow! I've never seen anything like this before. So much variety and your hair looks beautiful however you wear it :)

Quixii
April 10th, 2015, 11:16 PM
I've never heard of this term. :hmm: What's the difference between a botticelli curly and anyone else in the 2c-3c range?

hennalonghair
April 10th, 2015, 11:59 PM
I've never heard of this term either but my hair is very similar. Depending how I style it I can have it either :
fairly straight , wavy or quite curly. It like the variety my texture gives me because it doesn't 'have' to be same ole' same 'ole
Great thread .

Safira
April 11th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Can I step in? I have 3a curls, and mostly I keep them combed. That's the easier way to deal with them, because in my job I have to keep them up.
But sometimes I let them curl and oh that joy :D
I dont use gels, when I scruntch the curls, just conditioner. That works just fine and it's easier to wash out.

Auni
April 12th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I've never heard of this term. :hmm: What's the difference between a botticelli curly and anyone else in the 2c-3c range?

Botticelli curls are looser curls, about the width of side walk chalk. The hair tends to get curlier the longer it grows. They have many different textures in their hair, and sometimes have waves at the top portion of their hair that curl the length. Hair tends to be fine with medium to high density. The hair is easily straightened with a blow dryer with minimum damage, no need for a flat iron. And usually the hair is quite shiny naturally. Most of us couldn't figure out where our texture fits in because we are curly, wurly, and straight! I found my hair type when I was turned onto the curly girl book, Lorraine Masters has this curl type in between wavy, and cork screw curls.

Auni
April 12th, 2015, 08:09 AM
I've never heard of this term either but my hair is very similar. Depending how I style it I can have it either :
fairly straight , wavy or quite curly. It like the variety my texture gives me because it doesn't 'have' to be same ole' same 'ole
Great thread .

I couldn't agree with you more! I love the variety I can achieve with my hair!
Thank you!:blossom:

Auni
April 12th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Can I step in? I have 3a curls, and mostly I keep them combed. That's the easier way to deal with them, because in my job I have to keep them up.
But sometimes I let them curl and oh that joy :D
I dont use gels, when I scruntch the curls, just conditioner. That works just fine and it's easier to wash out.

Step on in! I can't use conditioner for my curls, it weighs them down way too much and I get lank strands:-(
I"m probably not the greatest botticelli role model because I also wear my hair up a lot too, as you said-easier to deal with, and I have to for work.

Auni
April 12th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Wow! I've never seen anything like this before. So much variety and your hair looks beautiful however you wear it :)

Thank you!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 12th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I just have to ask, am I still a botticelli if my hair is not that easily straightened with a blow dryer ? ( I have to use a round brush to get it straight or use a flat iron )

And also I went and purchased magnesium sulfate, and gel for my hair, and Im soooo excited to try them out soon!! :D

Auni
April 12th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I just have to ask, am I still a botticelli if my hair is not that easily straightened with a blow dryer ? ( I have to use a round brush to get it straight or use a flat iron )

And also I went and purchased magnesium sulfate, and gel for my hair, and Im soooo excited to try them out soon!! :D

I often use a round brush too, I have used a flat iron, but I don't like risking damage and really it only calms down frizzies or fly aways. The thing about botticellies vs. other curlies is that when we blow dry or straighten our hair, it's not an intense and time consuming process.
Let us know how the products work!!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
OOOh ok thought you meant you just blow dry it straight not using a brush :p I will let you guys know once I've tried it :D

pastina
April 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM
oh my gosh, this is me! i learned somehing today!

Beborani
April 12th, 2015, 01:31 PM
When I read Lorraine Massey's book I recall identifying myself as boticelli--that was far eaisier to identify than number/letter system here on lhc for me. I had forgotten that one of the charecteristics is that curls manifest themselves better as they get longer--that is certainly happening to me now. My latest picture is in my blog entry.

Upside Down
April 12th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Yes, well, I can blow dry "easily" with a round brush, at least that is what stylists say (but this is damaging, don't be fooled, uness maybe doing it on cold setting with the dryer. Heat evaporates water in the hair and gas escaping under the cuticle causes white dots, breakage and splits later). I also have a relatively straight part of hair (everything under my ears grows barely wavy).

However the curly part is quite curly.

I wouldn't say that I have more or less curls with lenght.

Thing is, CO doesn't work for me, silicones do, and protein too.

Plopping not so much either. My hair likes to be scrunched with some creme or mousse, air dried to about 60% dry, then diffused.

So maybe I fit here but maybe not.

Auni
April 13th, 2015, 06:46 AM
When I read Lorraine Massey's book I recall identifying myself as boticelli--that was far eaisier to identify than number/letter system here on lhc for me. I had forgotten that one of the charecteristics is that curls manifest themselves better as they get longer--that is certainly happening to me now. My latest picture is in my blog entry.
Your pic looks botticelli to me! Beautiful!

Yes, well, I can blow dry "easily" with a round brush, at least that is what stylists say (but this is damaging, don't be fooled, uness maybe doing it on cold setting with the dryer. Heat evaporates water in the hair and gas escaping under the cuticle causes white dots, breakage and splits later). I also have a relatively straight part of hair (everything under my ears grows barely wavy).

However the curly part is quite curly.

I wouldn't say that I have more or less curls with lenght.

Thing is, CO doesn't work for me, silicones do, and protein too.

Plopping not so much either. My hair likes to be scrunched with some creme or mousse, air dried to about 60% dry, then diffused.

So maybe I fit here but maybe not.

CG method didn't work for me either, it weighed my hair down way to much! How big (diameter) are your curls? Botticelli usually are bigger, and ropey. Your sig pic looks right, but I can't tell diameter!;)

Rapunzel_to_be
April 16th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Ok so I finally got to try out the magnesium sulfate and the gel today. The magnesium sulfate did not seem to do anything for me... I had about a tea spoon in one cup of water, and I sprayed it all over my hair before putting any other product, then I continued with my leave in conditioner/heat protecting lotion, then styling cream and then the gel, I only used a tiny amount of gel. My hair looked completely crispy and dry, but of course I scrunched it out so the crunchiness went away and my hair became soft. What I noticed was that my hair just looked a little less voluminous than when I only use my styling cream,so no more curl definition or anything...

It was a very windy day, but the gel did not really make my hair any different than usual, my hair usually holds pretty well in windy weather, so maybe thats why I did not notice any difference.

Anyway I was wondering just so that the gel won't be a complete waste of money, do you guys think that it might help to use it on very humid days, to prevent my hair from becoming extra voluminous ? Cause that would be great! I've never used gels before so I have no clue on how they work.

I think for my daily routine I will continue with just my anti frizz/styling cream, and the leave in conditioner/heat protectant (which is also the first time I used today)

I don't know if this is relevant, but I do not rinse out my conditioner completely in the shower, I leave a little of it in my hair, would that have anything to do with the magnesium sulfate not working on my hair ?

DreamSheep
April 16th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Im curious to try this actually!
I wouldn't consider myself curly at all, but as my hair has gotten longer, I've noticed my underlayer is very wavy, and made tiny ringlets once straight after a wash.
I'm curious whether by trying your routine I could coax out a few more curls :) (it would be awesome if I could, but I may just be only a straightie-wavy...)

Arwenlily
April 16th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I believe I'm more Corkicelli when my curls behave and aren't too weighed down by product, but I'm not sure. My hair is curlier when it is shorter and now that is getting longer, the curls are pulling down. What are properties of Botticelli hair?

Arwenlily
April 16th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I often use a round brush too, I have used a flat iron, but I don't like risking damage and really it only calms down frizzies or fly aways. The thing about botticellies vs. other curlies is that when we blow dry or straighten our hair, it's not an intense and time consuming process.
Let us know how the products work!!

Hmm I may not be a Botticelli afterall. The blow try and straighten process when I did it in the past took hours!

Theobroma
April 16th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I think I belong here. My hair naturally forms very big, loose spirals when it airdries, though it was at its curliest around waist before gravity started stretching the curls out into waves. But I used to be able to blowdry it reasonably straight with minimal effort, back before I stopped using heat entirely. Now that I'm at classic the curl factor is largely academic because I wear it up all the time, but I do enjoy letting my texture out on wash days!

Auni
April 16th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Ok so I finally got to try out the magnesium sulfate and the gel today. The magnesium sulfate did not seem to do anything for me... I had about a tea spoon in one cup of water, and I sprayed it all over my hair before putting any other product, then I continued with my leave in conditioner/heat protecting lotion, then styling cream and then the gel, I only used a tiny amount of gel. My hair looked completely crispy and dry, but of course I scrunched it out so the crunchiness went away and my hair became soft. What I noticed was that my hair just looked a little less voluminous than when I only use my styling cream,so no more curl definition or anything...

It was a very windy day, but the gel did not really make my hair any different than usual, my hair usually holds pretty well in windy weather, so maybe thats why I did not notice any difference.

Anyway I was wondering just so that the gel won't be a complete waste of money, do you guys think that it might help to use it on very humid days, to prevent my hair from becoming extra voluminous ? Cause that would be great! I've never used gels before so I have no clue on how they work.

I think for my daily routine I will continue with just my anti frizz/styling cream, and the leave in conditioner/heat protectant (which is also the first time I used today)

I don't know if this is relevant, but I do not rinse out my conditioner completely in the shower, I leave a little of it in my hair, would that have anything to do with the magnesium sulfate not working on my hair ?
The gel will definitely help to control the frizz! It may take a while for you to play with amounts to see what works best for you, but that is the fun part!

Im curious to try this actually!
I wouldn't consider myself curly at all, but as my hair has gotten longer, I've noticed my underlayer is very wavy, and made tiny ringlets once straight after a wash.
I'm curious whether by trying your routine I could coax out a few more curls :) (it would be awesome if I could, but I may just be only a straightie-wavy...)
Always worth a try!

Hmm I may not be a Botticelli afterall. The blow try and straighten process when I did it in the past took hours!
You definitely look more corkscrew to me! Beautiful!

I think I belong here. My hair naturally forms very big, loose spirals when it airdries, though it was at its curliest around waist before gravity started stretching the curls out into waves. But I used to be able to blowdry it reasonably straight with minimal effort, back before I stopped using heat entirely. Now that I'm at classic the curl factor is largely academic because I wear it up all the time, but I do enjoy letting my texture out on wash days!
Welcome!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 16th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Ok thank you :) And yea, maybe If I try with some more magnesium sulfate, I'll be able to see some results from it :)

Neecola
April 16th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I think I also identified my curls as botticelli when I was reading the Curly Girl book but it's been a long time!

Nique1202
April 16th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Botticelli curls are looser curls, about the width of side walk chalk. The hair tends to get curlier the longer it grows. They have many different textures in their hair, and sometimes have waves at the top portion of their hair that curl the length. Hair tends to be fine with medium to high density. The hair is easily straightened with a blow dryer with minimum damage, no need for a flat iron. And usually the hair is quite shiny naturally. Most of us couldn't figure out where our texture fits in because we are curly, wurly, and straight! I found my hair type when I was turned onto the curly girl book, Lorraine Masters has this curl type in between wavy, and cork screw curls.

I never knew that my hair type had such a great name. It was about 1b/1c until past my ears, then (as seen in the Jan '13 in my sig pic) started getting flippy-curly at the ends when it hit shoulder, and as it grew longer it got further on up into the hair textures until it started going full 2c with various spirals ranging from 1 inch to 2 inches across and waves right up to the roots when I let it dry on its own, and straighter sections underneath. I wish I could get a picture of the full texture, but it's so shiny and I only have my phone camera so it just ends up looking like patches of black and white.

It also stays in the wave pattern of whatever style I put it in after I wash it until the next time it gets soaking wet. If I want to keep it straight I only need low heat on the blow dryer, or I can finger comb it as it air dries and wear a snug cinnabun to bed and it only flips up at the ends the next day. I haven't managed to keep the curl in it beyond wash day, though, because it smothers me if I sleep with it down so I'd have to do several rope braids all over and I don't sleep well with lumps on the sides of my head. I look forward to the day it's long enough to just drape over the top edge of the bed and stay there while I sleep, because I'll be able to keep my full Botticelli texture all week.

gwenalyn
April 16th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I never knew that my hair type had such a great name. It was about 1b/1c until past my ears, then (as seen in the Jan '13 in my sig pic) started getting flippy-curly at the ends when it hit shoulder, and as it grew longer it got further on up into the hair textures until it started going full 2c with various spirals ranging from 1 inch to 2 inches across and waves right up to the roots when I let it dry on its own, and straighter sections underneath. I wish I could get a picture of the full texture, but it's so shiny and I only have my phone camera so it just ends up looking like patches of black and white.

It also stays in the wave pattern of whatever style I put it in after I wash it until the next time it gets soaking wet. If I want to keep it straight I only need low heat on the blow dryer, or I can finger comb it as it air dries and wear a snug cinnabun to bed and it only flips up at the ends the next day. I haven't managed to keep the curl in it beyond wash day, though, because it smothers me if I sleep with it down so I'd have to do several rope braids all over and I don't sleep well with lumps on the sides of my head. I look forward to the day it's long enough to just drape over the top edge of the bed and stay there while I sleep, because I'll be able to keep my full Botticelli texture all week.

Have you tried "pineapple-ing"? From what I understand, it's basically a loose ponytail on the top of your head, and it's used by curlies to preserve their curls overnight. I use it when I wet-set curls and want to keep them for more than a day.

Nique1202
April 16th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Have you tried "pineapple-ing"? From what I understand, it's basically a loose ponytail on the top of your head, and it's used by curlies to preserve their curls overnight. I use it when I wet-set curls and want to keep them for more than a day.

About 90% of the damage at the ends of my hair is from near daily elastic use between shoulder and waist when I couldn't do ANY stick/pinned updos because of my thickness, so now I avoid them. Anything tight enough to contain this mane (even metal-free fabric covered elastic or knotted string/ribbon/etc.) is tight enough to cause damage. Anything looser than that, and my hair will escape when I'm tossing and turning. :-(

Auni
April 16th, 2015, 06:41 PM

Sounds familiar! I have a hard time getting a photo of my ringlets as well, the pics end up looking like waves because of the shine, but they are definitely 3D!

About 90% of the damage at the ends of my hair is from near daily elastic use between shoulder and waist when I couldn't do ANY stick/pinned updos because of my thickness, so now I avoid them. Anything tight enough to contain this mane (even metal-free fabric covered elastic or knotted string/ribbon/etc.) is tight enough to cause damage. Anything looser than that, and my hair will escape when I'm tossing and turning. :-(

That's too bad, pineappling does work, when I remember to do it. I just use a scrunchy wrapped once around my hair.

Theobroma
April 17th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Hmm, those of you who say your hair will hold curls or waves for days after washing, how do you do it? Mine used to hold braid waves for as much as five days even with daily brushing if I braided it wet, but that was when it was a dried-out mess. Now that it's moisturised and oiled I find that any curl or wave I try to put in falls out if I even look at it too hard!

Auni
April 17th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Hmm, those of you who say your hair will hold curls or waves for days after washing, how do you do it? Mine used to hold braid waves for as much as five days even with daily brushing if I braided it wet, but that was when it was a dried-out mess. Now that it's moisturised and oiled I find that any curl or wave I try to put in falls out if I even look at it too hard!

I'm not sure about the brushing part, I NEVER brush my hair when I wear it curling, I strictly finger comb. My curls and waves last, I believe, because of the gel I use to hold the curl. I have to wash pretty often though when I wear it curly as it can get pretty crazy with weird curls, frizz, etc. Now when I bun or braid, which is daily these days for protection, my waves hold pretty well for days, but I'm not wearing it down other than at night or in the morning before I leave the house.

lapushka
April 17th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I feel a little too "wavy" to be in this thread, TBH. I always think of 3a when Botticelli curls are discussed. Such a pretty curl pattern!

Auni
April 17th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I feel a little too "wavy" to be in this thread, TBH. I always think of 3a when Botticelli curls are discussed. Such a pretty curl pattern!

Thank you! And yes, definitely 3a, but thick diameter curls that are formed from waves!

Upside Down
April 18th, 2015, 08:21 AM
CG method didn't work for me either, it weighed my hair down way to much! How big (diameter) are your curls? Botticelli usually are bigger, and ropey. Your sig pic looks right, but I can't tell diameter!;)

Dunno, they are not so big, you tell me - I'm bad with these labels :lol:
Curls (http://www.dodaj.rs/f/p/11q/cp9qKUo/2015-04-18-161834.jpg)
All of them (http://www.dodaj.rs/f/3M/Sm/4jT4ZM9Z/image-14e2ce3ab65bb637af.jpg)

See I have no shrinkage, well almost, because my under layer is mostly streight, and so it appears layered when curly since the upper parts shrink.

I gave plopping there another chance, but I definetly get more curls from airdrying + a little diffusing.

Auni
April 18th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Upside down, you definitely look botticelli to me, you have the shine, and it seems fine but thick. Does your hair get weighed down easily with product? Beautiful curls!

Upside Down
April 18th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Thank you, Auni. :blossom: your siggy pic is gorgeous btw!

See, I learned something new, then, about my hair :lol:

Dunno, about weighing down. I use cones with no problem, and my hair loves protein, but put honey or aloe vera on it and it turns into rubbery mess. :shrug:

It is kind of like it is better to have it on the dry side if I want more curls, you know?

I see you all use gel, maybe I should try that sometimes...

Ps shine is mostly artificial, henna and dye ;)

Auni
April 18th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Thank you, Auni. :blossom: your siggy pic is gorgeous btw!

See, I learned something new, then, about my hair :lol:

Dunno, about weighing down. I use cones with no problem, and my hair loves protein, but put honey or aloe vera on it and it turns into rubbery mess. :shrug:

It is kind of like it is better to have it on the dry side if I want more curls, you know?

I see you all use gel, maybe I should try that sometimes...

Ps shine is mostly artificial, henna and dye ;)

I think I get more curly when my hair is dry too, weird huh?:confused:
I find honey and aloe make my hair rubbery if I use cones. Without cones-heaven!:crush:
Gel is great at controlling frizz, especially in the humid summer months. But make sure you clarify as it can easily build up. I also think layering gel over a curl booster, oil or cream is especially helpful with curl definition.

hennalonghair
April 18th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Well I'm most certainly in this group and I love it. Its great having a hair type that so versatile. We can either Rock the curly look, settle for waves or straighten it out without much effort . Thanks for creating this Auni. I'd never even heard of this hair type before and always wondered how I could have 3 a , 3b curls as well as wavy hair.
It just goes to show that we learn something everyday.
I think its cool that we have such similar Hair typing .
And oddly enough I don't get much curl close to my scalp. My hair needs the length to have the curl which is usually the opposite of most curly heads.

Upside Down
April 18th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I think I get more curly when my hair is dry too, weird huh?:confused:
I find honey and aloe make my hair rubbery if I use cones. Without cones-heaven!:crush:
Gel is great at controlling frizz, especially in the humid summer months. But make sure you clarify as it can easily build up. I also think layering gel over a curl booster, oil or cream is especially helpful with curl definition.

Really? Interesting... It makes no difference for me... I used to experiment with honey and aloe gel when I was using only natural stuff. My hair did fine on egg washes and oils...

Well I'm most certainly in this group and I love it. Its great having a hair type that so versatile. We can either Rock the curly look, settle for waves or straighten it out without much effort . Thanks for creating this Auni. I'd never even heard of this hair type before and always wondered how I could have 3 a , 3b curls as well as wavy hair.
And oddly enough I don't get much curl close to my scalp. My hair needs the length to have the curl which is usually the opposite of most curly heads.

ok, I'm gonna present my problem here. As my hair gets longer, past collarbone or bsl, when I wear it curly there is no way to detangle dry. This means I have to re-wet and apply conditioner and comb it out. Or not brush for a few days, but I can not do my sleep braid then (without pulling a significant ammount of tangles = breakage).
Dunno. What do you do? Sleep in a bonnet with hair loose in there? Sleep in a bun?

This is mostly the reason why I hardly ever wear it curly... :/

Auni
April 18th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Really? Interesting... It makes no difference for me... I used to experiment with honey and aloe gel when I was using only natural stuff. My hair did fine on egg washes and oils...

ok, I'm gonna present my problem here. As my hair gets longer, past collarbone or bsl, when I wear it curly there is no way to detangle dry. This means I have to re-wet and apply conditioner and comb it out. Or not brush for a few days, but I can not do my sleep braid then (without pulling a significant ammount of tangles = breakage).
Dunno. What do you do? Sleep in a bonnet with hair loose in there? Sleep in a bun?

This is mostly the reason why I hardly ever wear it curly... :/

Pineapple! You gather your hair high atop your head and secure with a scrunchy, loosely! As far as brushing, yeah, it's not happening when I wear it curly!:afro:

Beborani
April 18th, 2015, 05:43 PM
http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/articles/categories/category/curl_types/

For those who don't quite fit in look here for this classification--you may find your type. Botticelli is just one of 6 or so types Lorraine Massey identifies.

Auni
April 18th, 2015, 05:46 PM

Yup! Thanks! I also love my hair's versatility. It took awhile to fully understand it and learn how to work WITH it, but now that I do, I feel like the possibilities are endless!
The only way I can get my hair to have SOME curl closer to my scalp is to plop, but even then it's not terribly curly, just super wavy.

Upside Down
April 19th, 2015, 05:08 AM
Pineapple! You gather your hair high atop your head and secure with a scrunchy, loosely! As far as brushing, yeah, it's not happening when I wear it curly!:afro:

Sadly pineapple stopped working at around bsl. Massive tangles and my curls still fall out of shape. :shrug: I guesscI just have to face it, if I want to go beyond waist, I will see my curls very rarely...

So, what gel do you use? I'm a gel noob, but willing to give it a try.. Maybe, if I don't scrunch, I could get waves instead of curls. I actually remember doing this oce with lots of gel, but my hair was suuuper crunchy after (waaay before I cared about good haircare...)

Auni
April 19th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Sadly pineapple stopped working at around bsl. Massive tangles and my curls still fall out of shape. :shrug: I guesscI just have to face it, if I want to go beyond waist, I will see my curls very rarely...

So, what gel do you use? I'm a gel noob, but willing to give it a try.. Maybe, if I don't scrunch, I could get waves instead of curls. I actually remember doing this oce with lots of gel, but my hair was suuuper crunchy after (waaay before I cared about good haircare...)

Ah, I see how that could be a problem. Perhaps a high messy bun?
I don't wear my curls regularly, I am doing protective up do's right now so my hair is rarely down. When I wear it curly, I don't often get good 2nd day hair, which means I have to wash or pull it back and up.
As far as gel goes, something with good hold, but not a lot of build up. Not sure what brands they have where you are, but LA looks washes pretty clean, as does biologe gelee. It will make your hair crunchy, the trick is to "scrunch out the crunch"; when it's dry and crunchy you scrunch it like you would when putting product in, but your breaking the gel casts on your hair so it's soft. The result should be soft, bouncy ringlets and curls. I like to put a little bit of oil on my hands to add a little moisture, shine, and prevent flyaways. Just enough oil to coat the palms.

Auni
April 19th, 2015, 09:45 AM

Double post!

Upside Down
April 20th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Ah, I see how that could be a problem. Perhaps a high messy bun?
I don't wear my curls regularly, I am doing protective up do's right now so my hair is rarely down. When I wear it curly, I don't often get good 2nd day hair, which means I have to wash or pull it back and up.
As far as gel goes, something with good hold, but not a lot of build up. Not sure what brands they have where you are, but LA looks washes pretty clean, as does biologe gelee. It will make your hair crunchy, the trick is to "scrunch out the crunch"; when it's dry and crunchy you scrunch it like you would when putting product in, but your breaking the gel casts on your hair so it's soft. The result should be soft, bouncy ringlets and curls. I like to put a little bit of oil on my hands to add a little moisture, shine, and prevent flyaways. Just enough oil to coat the palms.

Dunno, my curls were pretty good on day two, as my hair got longer they could go more days, really.
But the problem with drying it curly is definetly the matted fluffy look in updos.

What I wanted to try, though, is the 'super soaker' method and see what this will do. I might...next wash, and report back ;)

Hairkay
April 20th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Bouncy curls are great!:thumbsup:

Auni
April 20th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Dunno, my curls were pretty good on day two, as my hair got longer they could go more days, really.
But the problem with drying it curly is definetly the matted fluffy look in updos.

What I wanted to try, though, is the 'super soaker' method and see what this will do. I might...next wash, and report back ;)

Please let us know!! I do my own version which pretty much is not "squeezing" any water out of my hair after washing and applying product to it dripping wet.

texangrrl
April 20th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Just popping in to say that I am absolutely envious of botticelli curlies!! They make for beautiful curls!!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 20th, 2015, 01:01 PM
So after trying and failing with magnesium sulfate and gel, I fount out that the gel makes my hair feel a bit producty, especially combined with the curl defining cream, and that the magnesium sulfate, really did not do anything for my hair... except for making it look a little dull.. I tried adding more and also putting in less magnesium sulfate, with no success, so I guess it just does not work on my hair.

But I did however find out that if I want to style my hair and go for a heatless waves method, with braids, using the gel ( without the curl defining cream) would make it last a tiny bit longer than without it, although the difference was not that obvious to be honest.

I've been doing these heatless waves lately just to not having to blow dry ( the few minutes I usually do) because I looked through my hair the other day, and found a lot of split ends, so I kind of panicked haha, and with these heatless waves, my hair air dries over night and look really nice the next day, all day . If I would have air dried my natural hair type I would look like a lion the next morning :p So guess that has to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer so that my hair dries faster :)

spirals
April 20th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I didn't know this thread existed! I don't know if my input would be valuable, as I don't wear my natural curl often. I do on washday, but end up roller setting it by the end of the day. I do vintage hairstyles, which mostly require sculpted curls, so that's why. When I go bohemian I wear my natural curls brushed out and oiled, either down or in a bun. But yeah, only natural curls for a few hours once or twice a week. (If I wash at night I set overnight, so my curls aren't seen that day). I do like the early 1920s look with the natural curls but sculpted finger waves to control the area around the face. I'm thinking of Clara Bow: https://chuckman1920sarcadecardbeauties.files.wordpress.co m/2011/08/photo-movie-star-clara-bow-sitting-on-table-on-beach-with-ball-looking-over-shoulder-1920s.jpg

Here is my natural pattern: http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/naturallyfrizzy/dreamhair.jpg

Auni
April 21st, 2015, 06:31 AM
So after trying and failing with magnesium sulfate and gel, I fount out that the gel makes my hair feel a bit producty, especially combined with the curl defining cream, and that the magnesium sulfate, really did not do anything for my hair... except for making it look a little dull.. I tried adding more and also putting in less magnesium sulfate, with no success, so I guess it just does not work on my hair.

But I did however find out that if I want to style my hair and go for a heatless waves method, with braids, using the gel ( without the curl defining cream) would make it last a tiny bit longer than without it, although the difference was not that obvious to be honest.

I've been doing these heatless waves lately just to not having to blow dry ( the few minutes I usually do) because I looked through my hair the other day, and found a lot of split ends, so I kind of panicked haha, and with these heatless waves, my hair air dries over night and look really nice the next day, all day . If I would have air dried my natural hair type I would look like a lion the next morning :p So guess that has to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer so that my hair dries faster :)
I'm sorry your having problems with the methods on your curls. What kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use? Unfortunately, mag sulfate does not work for all.:( But I'm glad your rocking the heatless waves, thats where my hair has been living these days as well, less build, manipulation, and maintanence!

I didn't know this thread existed! I don't know if my input would be valuable, as I don't wear my natural curl often. I do on washday, but end up roller setting it by the end of the day. I do vintage hairstyles, which mostly require sculpted curls, so that's why. When I go bohemian I wear my natural curls brushed out and oiled, either down or in a bun. But yeah, only natural curls for a few hours once or twice a week. (If I wash at night I set overnight, so my curls aren't seen that day). I do like the early 1920s look with the natural curls but sculpted finger waves to control the area around the face. I'm thinking of Clara Bow: https://chuckman1920sarcadecardbeauties.files.wordpress.co m/2011/08/photo-movie-star-clara-bow-sitting-on-table-on-beach-with-ball-looking-over-shoulder-1920s.jpg

Here is my natural pattern: http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/naturallyfrizzy/dreamhair.jpg

Very cool! I'd like to see them brushed out and oiled, that sounds interesting!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 21st, 2015, 01:47 PM
I usually use Dove shampoo and conditioner, but I just bought a new shampoo from a german brand called balea, and Im trying out their curl shampoo, although I will go back to my dove, because this one doesn't seem to wash my scalp properly for some reason. And Im trying out the Syoss keratin conditioner, which seems to be doing its job :D

TrapperCreekD
April 21st, 2015, 02:43 PM
I wonder if I may be a Botticelli?

Freshly washed and dried, my hair looks very similar to your sig photo, Auni. It's frustrating because some of the descriptors had me nodding along and others don't seem to fit my hair...

✓ Looser 3A bits
✓ Photos never looking as curly as in person
✓ Curls look rope-ish
♣ My hair has been looking curlier recently but I attributed that to moisture/routine/diffusing
♦ I can't attest to the ease of blowdrying straight since I've never done it.
♦ Curls aren't chalk size, more like pencil thickness or smaller
♦ My ends aren't the curliest part of my hair (this could be due to damage)

Here's a couple pictures... Do I belong here?

http://i.imgur.com/MDpmM6L.png http://i.imgur.com/9JM1hVj.png

lapushka
April 21st, 2015, 02:51 PM
Looks like Botticelli curls to me, TrapperCreekD! :)

Auni
April 21st, 2015, 06:05 PM

yep, I agree!

Arwenlily
April 21st, 2015, 11:39 PM

Freshly washed and dried, my hair looks very similar to your sig photo, Auni. It's frustrating because some of the descriptors had me nodding along and others don't seem to fit my hair...

✓ Looser 3A bits
✓ Curls look rope-ish
♣ My hair has been looking curlier recently but I attributed that to moisture/routine/diffusing

You have such beautiful hair! What is your hair care routine like and which products do you use?

Narya
April 22nd, 2015, 02:32 AM
If it wasn't for thickness (which I might have, but other problems make my hair thin...) I think I'd belong here: straight/wavy/curly depending on the day, mood, or effort I'm willing to put; big sausage/ropey curls on the ends that come out more and more as the length increases... I think I'm way past the length where this shows well, though, and that I could benefit from some layers if I wanted to go curly more often, but it certainly sounds like my hair!

Upside Down
April 22nd, 2015, 02:54 AM
Spirals, you have a lovely texture!
TrapperCreekD, your hair looks like mine when I don't moisturize it too much and when I use the diffuser on medium. And I'm still not sure which category I belong to :lol:
Well, that was helpful of me :brickwall: :lol:

I usually use Dove shampoo and conditioner, but I just bought a new shampoo from a german brand called balea, and Im trying out their curl shampoo, although I will go back to my dove, because this one doesn't seem to wash my scalp properly for some reason. And Im trying out the Syoss keratin conditioner, which seems to be doing its job :D

Hey, I use Balea curl creme and spray. Creme is coney, so check the shampoo just in case! But I like how it works. The spray ... does nothing... I think. I tried to make my second day curls look nicer with it, but just water does the same. :shrug:

Theobroma
April 22nd, 2015, 04:08 AM
Hey, I use Balea curl creme and spray. Creme is coney, so check the shampoo just in case! But I like how it works. The spray ... does nothing... I think. I tried to make my second day curls look nicer with it, but just water does the same. :shrug:

Me too. I had a bottle of their spray but threw it out the other day while decluttering the bathroom cupboard. It didn't seem to have any effect at all on my curls. I've never tried their curl creme. My hair has never liked cones so I steer clear of them.

Maybe I should give magnesium sulphate another try, though, since I have a jar of it sitting around. How are people using it -- in a rinse? If so, in what concentration?

Auni
April 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM
Me too. I had a bottle of their spray but threw it out the other day while decluttering the bathroom cupboard. It didn't seem to have any effect at all on my curls. I've never tried their curl creme. My hair has never liked cones so I steer clear of them.

Maybe I should give magnesium sulphate another try, though, since I have a jar of it sitting around. How are people using it -- in a rinse? If so, in what concentration?

I use it, sparingly, as a post shower, pre- gel product. It should be the first thing you put in your hair hair after your shower. I have a serum with some mag sulfate in it- paul mitchell round trip, but you can make a mist with it, like a beach wave spray. Then I layer it with my gel. It takes some trial and error to get your measurements right, but start at the conservative side and work your way higher.

Auni
April 22nd, 2015, 06:44 AM

My curls just go flat with cones. But that's not always the case, however, it does seem to be a common theme among botticelli's.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 23rd, 2015, 04:25 AM

✓ Looser 3A bits
✓ Curls look rope-ish

Your hair is gorgeous!!! It looks like my hair !! :D

Rapunzel_to_be
April 23rd, 2015, 04:27 AM
My curls just go flat with cones. But that's not always the case, however, it does seem to be a common theme among botticelli's.

I want to try a cone free shampoo and conditioner after this one is finished actually, maybe that will make a difference :) Although I do not feel that my hair is affected by it, but on the other hand, I've always used cones so maybe I just don't know the difference and maybe my hair will look better cone free, will be exciting to see :D

Rapunzel_to_be
April 23rd, 2015, 04:27 AM

I want to try a cone free shampoo and conditioner after this one is finished actually, maybe that will make a difference :) Although I do not feel that my hair is affected by it, but on the other hand, I've always used cones so maybe I just don't know the difference and maybe my hair will look better cone free, will be exciting to see :D

kitschy
April 23rd, 2015, 05:19 AM
I might belong here. My hair is somewhere between 2C and 3B depending upon which part you look at. Crown in 2C, undergrowth is 3B so I don't really form very good big, bouncy, Boticelli curls.

MINAKO
April 23rd, 2015, 05:32 AM
funny how many similarities there can be around the same hairtype and then one thing makes all the difference. Alot if the factors decribed for botticelli do match my hair, with the exeption that under normal circumstances it does not straighten easily. I would need a jet engine in a hairdryer to just blowdry it straight, my hair seems to be really resistant to changes in shape. Now that i permanently straightened it it wont hold any curl beyond an S wave, any thighter would fall.

kitschy
April 23rd, 2015, 05:45 AM
funny how many similarities there can be around the same hairtype and then one thing makes all the difference. Alot if the factors decribed for botticelli do match my hair, with the exeption that under normal circumstances it does not straighten easily. I would need a jet engine in a hairdryer to just blowdry it straight, my hair seems to be really resistant to changes in shape. Now that i permanently straightened it it wont hold any curl beyond an S wave, any thighter would fall.

My hair won't straighten. I always have bumpies no matter what I do, and the minute I stop the straightening process my hair frizzes like crazy!...and I have a ton of root curl. I think it would be crazy talk to put us in the same hair category - yet here we are on a Botticelli thread talking about hair similarities! :D

MINAKO
April 23rd, 2015, 06:12 AM
Kitschy, that all sound very familiar to me and my natural hairtype is definitely more of a 2c, just very undefined and frizzy, also it wont form any ringlets in case i was lucky enough to somewhat control it. Most of the time my entire front and canopy hair would just look electrocuted, no matter how well i took care of it. Its really a funny mix left on its own.

Auni
April 23rd, 2015, 07:43 AM

In my experience, cones didn't "hurt" my hair, but definitely straightened them into waves, or made the canopy super puffy!

TrapperCreekD
April 24th, 2015, 12:27 PM

yep, I agree!

Woohoo, the wild mane actually has a category! :disco:

TrapperCreekD, your hair looks like mine when I don't moisturize it too much and when I use the diffuser on medium. And I'm still not sure which category I belong to :lol:

I know, right? It's so hard to pin down - figuratively, and literally - when it has so many faces and bits and pieces of several categories apply. Maybe we should start a support group for hairtype::wigtongue

You have such beautiful hair! What is your hair care routine like and which products do you use?

Thank you! I practice what would probably be called semi-benign neglect. Wash days it gets the most attention while the rest of the week I spend 10-15 minutes a day max; I like to wear different styles but I don't play with it a ton.

- Wash every ~5 days. If I need to be super presentable I'll wash it sooner or stretch a day or two so it looks its best.
- I do use sulfates. I tried a couple sulfate-free shampoos but didn't notice much of a difference for nearly three times the price.
- To offset the harshness of the shampoo I will either heavy oil the night before and WCC, or CWCC.
- I've introduced the rinse-out oil method and my hair really seems to like it! (see Lapushka's sig for link).
- I let the second conditioner marinate clipped up while I do other showerly things, gently detangle and rinse.
- Squeeze out about half the water and scrunch in blob of conditioner.
- Turbie while I get dressed, then split into four sections and layer on Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586), generous amounts of flaxseed gel, and KCCC.
- Plop, air dry for couple hours - depending on conditions - finish off with a diffuser.
- For the first couple days I don't comb my hair, just shake out my sleep braid and lightly finger comb into the hairstyle of the day. Maybe run a comb over the scalp hair if it needs taming. From day 3 on I comb out before putting up.
- Cheap drugstore products FTW! At the moment I'm using Suave Almond & Shea "moisturizing" shampoo, VO5 or Suave Naturals for 1st conditioner, and HE Moroccan My Shine for the second, heavier, conditioner. Aussie Moist and Garnier Triple Nutrition are also favorites. And recent addition KCCC is my only splurge but I feel like it's worth it for the extra oomph in the definition department with hair-friendly ingredients.

ETA: On the subject of 'cones, my hair seems mildly indifferent. Granted, I've only tried modified cones, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone and Amodimethicone. I do get extra slip with cones but not a huge amount and that's about it...

Neecola
April 24th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Auni, (apologies if you answered this) but which shampoo do you use when wear your hair curly?

Arwenlily
April 25th, 2015, 01:24 AM
Thank you! I what would probably be called semi-benign neglect. Wash days it gets the most attention while the rest of the week I spend 10-15 minutes a day max; I like to wear different styles but I don't play with it a ton.

- Wash every ~5 days. If I need to be super presentable I'll wash it sooner or stretch a day or two so it looks its best.
- I do use sulfates. I tried a couple sulfate-free shampoos but didn't notice much of a difference for nearly three times the pricehttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/).
- To offset the harshness of the shampoo I will either heavy oil the night before and WCC, or CWCC.
- I've introduced the rinse-out oil method and my hair really seems to like it! (see Lapushka's sig for link).
- I let the second conditioner marinate clipped up while I do other showerly things, gently detangle and rinse.
- Squeeze out about half the water and scrunch in blob of conditioner.
- Turbie while I get dressed, then split into four sections and layer on Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586), generous amounts of flaxseed gel, and KCCC.
- Plop, air dry for couple hours - depending on conditions - finish off with a diffuser.
- For the first couple days I don't comb my hair, just shake out my sleep braid and lightly finger comb into the hairstyle of the day. Maybe run a comb over the scalp hair if it needs taming. From day 3 on I comb out before putting up.
- Cheap drugstore products FTW! At the moment I'm using Suave Almond & Shea "moisturizing" shampoo, VO5 or Suave Naturals for 1st conditioner, and HE Moroccan My Shine for the second, heavier, conditioner. Aussie Moist and Garnier Triple Nutritionhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/) are also favorites. And recent addition KCCC is my only splurge but I feel like it's worth it for the extra oomph in the definition department with hair-friendly ingredients.

ETA: On the subjecthttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/) of 'cones, my hair seems mildly indifferent. Granted, I've only tried modified cones, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone and Amodimethicone. I do get extra slip with cones but not a huge amount and that's about it...

Thank you for posting all of that. After about 1 1/2 years of being on the LHC, I'm still defining and redefining my routine so I like to see what others with similar and beautiful hair are doing :o That is so interesting that yourhttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/) hair doesn't seem too picky about the products your use (cones vs. no cones, sulfates vs. no sulfates, etc.). My hair is exactly the opposite! I won't go into detail but how my curls form is directly related to the products I use, especially conditioner. My hair is so temperamental and does whatever the hell it wants.

Upside Down
April 25th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Woohoo, the wild mane actually has a category! :disco:
I know, right? It's so hard to pin down - figuratively, and literally - when it has so many faces and bits and pieces of several categories apply. Maybe we should start a support group for hairtype::wigtongue

:lol: Yeees we NEED that... though I wonder if it would be a room full of curlies. We might get tangled into each other :lol:

How often do you wear your hair curly? I am set on going past waist this time, and it is becoming clear that I will not be able towear it curly much in order to achieve that...

Auni
April 25th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Auni, (apologies if you answered this) but which shampoo do you use when wear your hair curly?

When I'm on a curly stretch, I first clarify to de-cone with a clarifying shampoo- Kinky curly come clean- then I use whatever sulfate free shampoo I have on hand, usually aubrey organics or natures gate.

Auni
April 25th, 2015, 05:46 AM
:lol: Yeees we NEED that... though I wonder if it would be a room full of curlies. We might get tangled into each other :lol:

:lol:That's quite a picture!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 26th, 2015, 04:52 AM
I was watching some videos on youtube last night, and I came across a curly routine video, where the girl mixed the gel together with the curl cream in her palms before applying to her hair, so I thought I could try that, since the other method did not do it for me, and this actually did work, my curls look much bouncier and I feel like some parts that do not curl up as much as the rest, have curled up more! :D So if anyone had the same problem as me, maybe this will work for you :)

Auni
April 26th, 2015, 06:16 AM
I was watching some videos on youtube last night, and I came across a curly routine video, where the girl mixed the gel together with the curl cream in her palms before applying to her hair, so I thought I could try that, since the other method did not do it for me, and this actually did work, my curls look much bouncier and I feel like some parts that do not curl up as much as the rest, have curled up more! :D So if anyone had the same problem as me, maybe this will work for you :)

I seem to remember trying this a while back as well. Great tip!

Rapunzel_to_be
April 28th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I let my hair completely air dry today, and skipped the 5 ( or 10) minutes of blow drying I usually do , and I noticed that my curls were muuuuuch more defined and looked so much nicer than when I use the blow dryer.. ( just used a anti frizz curl cream and nothing more) I just hope I can find the time to let it air dry every time I wash it!!

Nique1202
April 28th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I'm letting mine air dry untouched today too! I finally separated out one of the loose curls in the front to take a picture.

http://i62.tinypic.com/166brxx.jpg

It's hard to get across how it spirals in a 2d picture, so it looks like just an s-wave, but there's a distinct front-to-back along with the side-to-side dimension. :laugh: I'll try again in a few hours when it's all dry or nearly dry and see if I can get a good picture of the texture.

Auni
April 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I hate trying to get my curls to look like curls on camera, they almost always look like 2D waves:mad:!

lapushka
April 28th, 2015, 02:14 PM
I hate trying to get my curls to look like curls on camera, they almost always look like 2D waves:mad:!

Not in your signature picture, surely! ;)

Auni
April 28th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Not in your signature picture, surely! ;)

That was a stroke of pure luck, lighting and positioning!! Timing is everything darling!;)

lapushka
April 28th, 2015, 02:43 PM
That was a stroke of pure luck, lighting and positioning!! Timing is everything darling!;)

Well, it's a beautiful picture, nonetheless. :)

Neecola
April 28th, 2015, 02:59 PM
When I'm on a curly stretch, I first clarify to de-cone with a clarifying shampoo- Kinky curly come clean- then I use whatever sulfate free shampoo I have on hand, usually aubrey organics or natures gate.

Many thanks! For some reason, Kinky Curly Come Clean made my hair feel like straw. I've tried it several times and it is just a no go for me. Funny how even very similar hair types can be so different!

And I agree with Lapushka, beautiful pic!

Nique1202
April 28th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I found a way to do it! I'd forgotten I had a Vine account. Spinny spinny video! (https://vine.co/v/eW3K3175q9w) Most of the front of my hair dries like that on the left side, while part of the right side is more wavy than curly and part is almost straight except one big two-inch-wide looped curl at the ends on most clumps. It's no wonder I had trouble defining my hair type before I knew Botticellis were a thing.

catasa
April 29th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Hmm, I donīt think I am truly curly enough to claim to belong here, my hair is usually more wavy or loosely spirally. But I realized while reading that my hair have some of the characteristics of Botticelli curls, and anyway I wanted to check in to say that I really loves these kinds of curls and all of your pictures in this thread! :flower:

My hair:
- Many different hair types at once – some quite spirally, some almost straight, most of it s-wavy to loosely spirally. Also lots of frizz…

- Lengths/ends are definitely the most curly part of the hair, canopy is straight (with more or less of a frizz halo)

- In my normal routine of mild diluted shampoo wash and mineral oil leave in, my hair is usually about as in avatar pic on wash day (and sometimes the day after if I have been careful with it). Spirals about as the loose ones in siggy pic (including the fuzziness after a bit of wear and tear). Sometime it gets parts of itself into quite determined spirals (like the tighter one in siggy pic), sometimes it is more s-wavy.

- Have never tried to blowdry it straight, but it gets quite straight on itīs own on second/third day after wash (I wash usually every second day due to oily scalp)

- Also have never fully tried “curly girl” leave in/product thing, so maybe I could get more curls if I did, but I have sensitive skin and hair that is really, really prone to buildup and/or moisture overload, so this simply isnīt for me.
I have tried conditioner leave ins and also some kinds of curl creams/gels in the past and could, if I happened to be very lucky with products, technique, humidity and hair goddess goodwill, at best get one day of nice spirals. Then I had a mess of coated, unhappy hair and a clarifying on my hands, and if I tried to repeat the exact same procedure again it was invariably a disaster of frizzy tangly hair :shrug:

Anyway, since my hair is so inconsistent and gets straight on itīs own a couple of days after wash I hesitate to call myself truly wavy/curly. Which is probably kind of stupid, since it is definitely not straight in regards of for example frizz level, and if I try to brush it out it gets rather… big :p But I have always thought of curly/wavy hair as being “always curly/wavy no matter what” if you know what I mean, so I donīt really know what to call myself!

ETA: sorry, I can pf course add an easier to see picture!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16999&d=1430298084

Auni
April 29th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Oh Catasa your hair is lovely! Is that your natural color or do you henna? I'd say you are a botticelli for sure!

catasa
April 29th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Oh thank you Auni! :flower: I really love your curls, your siggy pic is fantastic!

No, it is not my natural colour although it is quite close, a little bit more red in it now than what I had naturally. I started colouring some years ago when I got too many grays around my face. I first decided not to colour and held to that for a couple of years, until I just accepted that I simply didnīt like it... I donīt use straight henna but a commercial, natural/organic hair colour that is plant-based and includes some henna: http://www.sante.de/en/produkte/pflanzen-haarfarben/pflanzen-haarfarben/ ETA: It is not permanent, I redo it every 4-5 weeks.

Auni
April 29th, 2015, 07:53 AM
That hair color looks interesting, anybody know what betaine and algin are? I started greying around my face as well, definitely not for me!

catasa
April 30th, 2015, 03:35 AM
Hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in regarding betaine and algin, but I just googled them and from what I can understand they are probably included as humectant/strengthener and emulsifier/sealant, see below. They seem to be quite natural.

Betaine:
It is a naturally-occurring amino acid (trimethylglycine) obtained as a by-product of sugar beet molasses ... When included in a hair conditioner, one role of betaine is to act as a moisturizing agent or humectant. One study showed that water retention in hair was improved by 6% when glycerol (glycerin) was used, while a 40% increase was observed for betaine. Also, as a result of their direct interaction with the proteins in hair, betaine can improve the mechanical properties, such as strength and elasticity. Betaine improves shine by helping maintain the integrity of the cuticle surface. As an osmolyte, it also possesses the ability to penetrate the stratum corneum of the scalp, where it can optimize moisture in the skin cells and follicles, positively impacting the health of the scalp and contributing to healthier hair. Finally, betaine acts as a guardian for the structure of the keratin proteins in the hair, both in the cuticle and the cortex, and protects it from damage due to environmental causes. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/ingredient-showdown-cocamidopropyl-betaine-and-betaine/

Algin:
Derived from the sodium carbonate extracts of brown seaweed and natural acids, this gelatinous substance serves as a natural gel base and thickener for formulations. Due to its rich consistency and makeup, it also has a moisture-preserving effect on the skin. http://www.weleda.com.au/algin/w1/i1003572/

I am really happy with this hair colour, it gives a very natural looking grey coverage. Greys will be lighter than other hair but not grey at all. I usually do full lengths every second or third time, however when I do roots only it is really more of a "whole canopy to below ear level only" since I never manage to actually target only the roots, but I have never seen any demarcation line or uneven colouring, so it is quite forgiving to work with. I simply mix it with hot/boiling water until quite runny (it will be a bit gritty), put it onto wet and clarified hair, and allow to sit under plastic hood and a knitted cap for about 2-2 1/2 hours, wash as usual. It is not hard to wash out and it has never yet discouloured anything in my bathroom or on my skin. Spills dries into kind of "sandy" clumps and the stains are easily wiped off.

Auni
April 30th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in regarding betaine and algin, but I just googled them and from what I can understand they are probably included as humectant/strengthener and emulsifier/sealant, see below. They seem to be quite natural.

Betaine:
It is a naturally-occurring amino acid (trimethylglycine) obtained as a by-product of sugar beet molasses ... When included in a hair conditioner, one role of betaine is to act as a moisturizing agent or humectant. One study showed that water retention in hair was improved by 6% when glycerol (glycerin) was used, while a 40% increase was observed for betaine. Also, as a result of their direct interaction with the proteins in hair, betaine can improve the mechanical properties, such as strength and elasticity. Betaine improves shine by helping maintain the integrity of the cuticle surface. As an osmolyte, it also possesses the ability to penetrate the stratum corneum of the scalp, where it can optimize moisture in the skin cells and follicles, positively impacting the health of the scalp and contributing to healthier hair. Finally, betaine acts as a guardian for the structure of the keratin proteins in the hair, both in the cuticle and the cortex, and protects it from damage due to environmental causes. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/ingredient-showdown-cocamidopropyl-betaine-and-betaine/

Algin:
Derived from the sodium carbonate extracts of brown seaweed and natural acids, this gelatinous substance serves as a natural gel base and thickener for formulations. Due to its rich consistency and makeup, it also has a moisture-preserving effect on the skin. http://www.weleda.com.au/algin/w1/i1003572/

I am really happy with this hair colour, it gives a very natural looking grey coverage. Greys will be lighter than other hair but not grey at all. I usually do full lengths every second or third time, however when I do roots only it is really more of a "whole canopy to below ear level only" since I never manage to actually target only the roots, but I have never seen any demarcation line or uneven colouring, so it is quite forgiving to work with. I simply mix it with hot/boiling water until quite runny (it will be a bit gritty), put it onto wet and clarified hair, and allow to sit under plastic hood and a knitted cap for about 2-2 1/2 hours, wash as usual. It is not hard to wash out and it has never yet discouloured anything in my bathroom or on my skin. Spills dries into kind of "sandy" clumps and the stains are easily wiped off.

Very cool! Is there a dye release time before you put it on?

catasa
April 30th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Very cool! Is there a dye release time before you put it on?

No, not according to the instructions, and I have never waited for more than the time it takes to cool to a usable temperature.

Auni
April 30th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Very cool. The ingredients look amazing!

Arwenlily
April 30th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Hmm, I donīt think I am truly curly enough to claim to belong here, my hair is usually more wavy or loosely spirally. But I realized while reading that my hair have some of the characteristics of Botticelli curls, and anyway I wanted to check in to say that I really loves these kinds of curls and all of your pictures in this thread! :flower:

My hair:
- Many different hair types at once – some quite spirally, some almost straight, most of it s-wavy to loosely spirally. Also lots of frizz…

- Lengths/ends are definitely the most curly part of the hair, canopy is straight (with more or less of a frizz halo)

- In my normal routine of mild diluted shampoo wash and mineral oil leave in, my hair is usually about as in avatar pic on wash day (and sometimes the day after if I have been careful with it). Spirals about as the loose ones in siggy pic (including the fuzziness after a bit of wear and tear). Sometime it gets parts of itself into quite determined spirals (like the tighter one in siggy pic), sometimes it is more s-wavy.

- Have never tried to blowdry it straight, but it gets quite straight on itīs own on second/third day after wash (I wash usually every second day due to oily scalp)

- Also have never fully tried “curly girl” leave in/product thing, so maybe I could get more curls if I did, but I have sensitive skin and hair that is really, really prone to buildup and/or moisture overload, so this simply isnīt for me.
I have tried conditioner leave ins and also some kinds of curl creams/gels in the past and could, if I happened to be very lucky with products, technique, humidity and hair goddess goodwill, at best get one day of nice spirals. Then I had a mess of coated, unhappy hair and a clarifying on my hands, and if I tried to repeat the exact same procedure again it was invariably a disaster of frizzy tangly hair :shrug:

Anyway, since my hair is so inconsistent and gets straight on itīs own a couple of days after wash I hesitate to call myself truly wavy/curly. Which is probably kind of stupid, since it is definitely not straight in regards of for example frizz level, and if I try to brush it out it gets rather… big :p But I have always thought of curly/wavy hair as being “always curly/wavy no matter what” if you know what I mean, so I donīt really know what to call myself!

ETA: sorry, I can pf course add an easier to see picture!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16999&d=1430298084

This is my hair exactly! I have many spirals but they only last for a couple of hours and gradually loosen up throgh out day one. Once my hair is up in a bun, the curls turn into waves and eventually become straight. My hair also becomes very frizzy but at the same time is easily over moisturized. It is so frustrating. Sometimes I don't feel like I really have curly hair because it seems like most people with curly hair have curls that stay.

Also, it seems that no matter which conditioner I use my hair is over moisturized. Do you use conditioner at all? I'm still using it for now but typically my hair fluffs up and becomes super soft and then straightens out throughout the day. I realized that the less I have in my hair, the curlier it is but then it can get too dry if there is nothing in it.

Finally, products seem to build up easily on my hair and my scalp. Ugh ... I don't even know which products to use anymore. I see you categorized yourself as 2c .. I wonder if I'm the same?

Crystawni
April 30th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I'm also relating to a lot of this. I had a heck of a time trying to figure my hairtype a year ago, with it ranging all throughout the 1s, 2s and some 3a ringlets underneath. I'm not sure I'm this, either, as my hair prefers to sit a lot flatter (tis very fine and baby soft, but there's lots of it). It also prefers the less is more approach, where too much of anything weighs it down.

Here's my frizz-fest of a hairtyping pic from almost a year ago--s/poo only, and hair drip-dried and looking plastered to my head... (seen in other threads):

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/DSC03362s_zpsmv7c4tt6.jpg

And another hairtyping pic, this one a windblown effort from yesterday, so the ringlets have been "blowdried"--and yep, I can blow dry it straight, but it tends to kink up fairly quickly (again, s/poo only, and hair drip-dried and looking plastered to my head):

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/DSC07443s_zpsrtdk72oz.jpg

And then, once the bamboo brush had gone through it. Actually, I was amazed at the light, tangle-free condition and shine, especially as I hadn't used the usual conditioner, oils, etc.. The ends are always the curliest, with face framing ringlets no matter what.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/DSC07465s_zpszkijuli3.jpg

(My current sig pic was also taken yesterday.) So, ummm, yeah, still not sure (not enough 2c/3a on show?).

catasa
May 2nd, 2015, 05:41 AM
This is my hair exactly! I have many spirals but they only last for a couple of hours and gradually loosen up throgh out day one. Once my hair is up in a bun, the curls turn into waves and eventually become straight. My hair also becomes very frizzy but at the same time is easily over moisturized. It is so frustrating. Sometimes I don't feel like I really have curly hair because it seems like most people with curly hair have curls that stay.

Also, it seems that no matter which conditioner I use my hair is over moisturized. Do you use conditioner at all? I'm still using it for now but typically my hair fluffs up and becomes super soft and then straightens out throughout the day. I realized that the less I have in my hair, the curlier it is but then it can get too dry if there is nothing in it.

Finally, products seem to build up easily on my hair and my scalp. Ugh ... I don't even know which products to use anymore. I see you categorized yourself as 2c .. I wonder if I'm the same?

I am sorry you are having hair that is troublesome, but I am also selfishly glad to hear that there are others with similar hair properties as mine! It sometimes feels like there are very few people with hair that does not crave conditioners and moisture. I love your hair by the way, gorgeous shine and curls!

I went for about a year without using any kind of conditioner or deep treatment at all, just my regular mineral oil leave in of about six drops in streaming wet hair that is then folded up in a t-shirt for a while. Clarified about once a month in connection with my regular dye touch up, still using only mineral oil leave in afterwards. My hair managed quite fine during this time, but eventually it did get dryish and started to feel a bit "hard" or crunchy, so I started to experiment a bit with conditioner again. Currently I use it about every third wash, often according to "reverse washing method" (there is another thread about that), where I put conditioner on lengths before washing scalp with my mild shampoo dilution that is rinsed out together with the conditioner. I always rinse out conditioner and never use any kind of "commercial" moisturizing leave in.

I also usually nowadays mix my conditioner with a bit of protein treatment, which my hair seems to like very much. (Iīll try to find a good protein containing conditioner next time but my current stash in without protein. Mixing in a protein treatment actually works quite well though, and also allows me to choose when to use it and when not to). My hair is actually more often soft-feeling, and definitely shinier, when I donīt use conditioner. Washing with conditioner twice in a row, especially if I use it after the shampoo and rinse it out on itīs own, always gives me duller and frizzier hair. I never do deep treatments of any kind.

For regular washing (every second day) I have had the best luck with an organic, SLS-free shampoo diluted with water and a bit of ACV. I clarify once or twice a month, I am still a bit afraid to this too often mainly because of my already oily scalp, but I actually think that I could or should do it more often. Sometimes I use conditioner after clarifying, sometimes not, and it is a toss up whether to or not since the result is different every time...

Regarding my 2c categorization I am very unsure, but it seemed to be the closest to the state my hair is most often in when I consider it a good hair day :) When it gets straight-ish a couple of days after washing it is more like 1b, and when it is in itīs worst frizzy state I donīt really know how to categorize it ("electrocuted" sounds so un-nice... :p )

Auni
May 2nd, 2015, 07:11 AM
Catasa, Crystawni, I also have problems with too much product and lank hair. I am currently trialling shampoo bars with ACV rinses, and let me tell you, I had one day where I had NO product in, and I literally was able to see every texture on my head UNFRIZZED!! It was amazing, and so far, only happened once:(. If I use a leave in, my curls are flat. If I use cones, my curls are flat. If I use too much oil, my curls are flat...It's a very fine balance. I haven't tried mineral oil yet, I'm a bit leery about it as I find conditioners with it really dry my hair out fast and give me the frizzies.

catasa
May 2nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
I'm also relating to a lot of this. I had a heck of a time trying to figure my hairtype a year ago, with it ranging all throughout the 1s, 2s and some 3a ringlets underneath. I'm not sure I'm this, either, as my hair prefers to sit a lot flatter (tis very fine and baby soft, but there's lots of it). It also prefers the less is more approach, where too much of anything weighs it down.

Here's my frizz-fest of a hairtyping pic from almost a year ago--s/poo only, and hair drip-dried and looking plastered to my head... (seen in other threads):

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/DSC03362s_zpsmv7c4tt6.jpg

And another hairtyping pic, this one a windblown effort from yesterday, so the ringlets have been "blowdried"--and yep, I can blow dry it straight, but it tends to kink up fairly quickly (again, s/poo only, and hair drip-dried and looking plastered to my head):

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/DSC07443s_zpsrtdk72oz.jpg

And then, once the bamboo brush had gone through it. Actually, I was amazed at the light, tangle-free condition and shine, especially as I hadn't used the usual conditioner, oils, etc.. The ends are always the curliest, with face framing ringlets no matter what.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Length%20Shots/DSC07465s_zpszkijuli3.jpg

(My current sig pic was also taken yesterday.) So, ummm, yeah, still not sure (not enough 2c/3a on show?).

As mentioned in another thread also, I love your hair with itīs colour variations, and also the variations in texture even though I understand that it can probably be frustrating. I definitely think your ringlets are botticelli-type! And I donīt think it look so very frizzy, your combed-out photo is very nice (as are the others also)! I usually comb my canopy to about upper ear level (where my hair is straight) to reduce frizz there, but combing my lengths is always a very bad idea :)

Regarding the shine and softness, yes, as I mentioned my hair is usually more soft and shiny without conditioner, also more tangle-free even though my hair is not normally tangle-prone except when for hen it has a lot of build up. I think that there are many hairs out there that could probably do better than expected without conditioner, but it is scary to try...

catasa
May 2nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
Catasa, Crystawni, I also have problems with too much product and lank hair. I am currently trialling shampoo bars with ACV rinses, and let me tell you, I had one day where I had NO product in, and I literally was able to see every texture on my head UNFRIZZED!! It was amazing, and so far, only happened once:(. If I use a leave in, my curls are flat. If I use cones, my curls are flat. If I use too much oil, my curls are flat...It's a very fine balance. I haven't tried mineral oil yet, I'm a bit leery about it as I find conditioners with it really dry my hair out fast and give me the frizzies.

Congratulations on that one day :) I have also had a very few such days, they are amazing, and it is so incredibly frustrating that it is impossible to repeat them! I donīt know if it is better to know that your hair can actually look that good, or if it would have been less frustrating to have never seen it... Your siggy pic is amazing though, that must have been a pretty good day!

Arwenlily
May 3rd, 2015, 05:22 PM
I am sorry you are having hair that is troublesome, but I am also selfishly glad to hear that there are others with similar hair properties as mine! It sometimes feels like there are very few people with hair that does not crave conditioners and moisture. I love your hair by the way, gorgeous shine and curls!

I went for about a year without using any kind of conditioner or deep treatment at all, just my regular mineral oil leave in of about six drops in streaming wet hair that is then folded up in a t-shirt for a while. Clarified about once a month in connection with my regular dye touch up, still using only mineral oil leave in afterwards. My hair managed quite fine during this time, but eventually it did get dryish and started to feel a bit "hard" or crunchy, so I started to experiment a bit with conditioner again. Currently I use it about every third wash, often according to "reverse washing method" (there is another thread about that), where I put conditioner on lengths before washing scalp with my mild shampoo dilution that is rinsed out together with the conditioner. I always rinse out conditioner and never use any kind of "commercial" moisturizing leave in.

I also usually nowadays mix my conditioner with a bit of protein treatment, which my hair seems to like very much. (Iīll try to find a good protein containing conditioner next time but my current stash in without protein. Mixing in a protein treatment actually works quite well though, and also allows me to choose when to use it and when not to). My hair is actually more often soft-feeling, and definitely shinier, when I donīt use conditioner. Washing with conditioner twice in a row, especially if I use it after the shampoo and rinse it out on itīs own, always gives me duller and frizzier hair. I never do deep treatments of any kind.

For regular washing (every second day) I have had the best luck with an organic, SLS-free shampoo diluted with water and a bit of ACV. I clarify once or twice a month, I am still a bit afraid to this too often mainly because of my already oily scalp, but I actually think that I could or should do it more often. Sometimes I use conditioner after clarifying, sometimes not, and it is a toss up whether to or not since the result is different every time...

Regarding my 2c categorization I am very unsure, but it seemed to be the closest to the state my hair is most often in when I consider it a good hair day :) When it gets straight-ish a couple of days after washing it is more like 1b, and when it is in itīs worst frizzy state I donīt really know how to categorize it ("electrocuted" sounds so un-nice... :p )

Thank you for sharing :) It is insane how finicky curly hair can be, such divas! This past week I have been experimenting with only using my SLS-free moisturizing shampoo and coconut oil leave-in. So far this has been great; defined curls and minimum frizz. But as I said before, this doesn't last for very long ... A couple hours, tops. I wonder how my hair would react to only the shampoo and no leave-in at all. I'd be afraid my hair would be too dry though, I'm not quite sure. I like experimenting with different oils and conditioners. So far the only conditioner my hair has liked is Nature's Gate tea tree conditioner.

When you use the ACV how much do you use? Also, how do you dilute your shampoo?

Crystawni
May 4th, 2015, 12:31 AM

I can't use mineral oil as a leave in (it just doesn't work, leaving my hair lank and greasy), but about 7-10 drops works for me as a rinse out oil between shampooing and conditioning.

As mentioned in another thread also, I love your hair with itīs colour variations, and also the variations in texture even though I understand that it can probably be frustrating. I definitely think your ringlets are botticelli-type! And I donīt think it look so very frizzy, your combed-out photo is very nice (as are the others also)! I usually comb my canopy to about upper ear level (where my hair is straight) to reduce frizz there, but combing my lengths is always a very bad idea :)

Regarding the shine and softness, yes, as I mentioned my hair is usually more soft and shiny without conditioner, also more tangle-free even though my hair is not normally tangle-prone except when for hen it has a lot of build up. I think that there are many hairs out there that could probably do better than expected without conditioner, but it is scary to try...

Thank you! :flowers: I actually tried a curl cream the other day after just shampooing my hair. It was working great... until I combed it. All those ringlets gone poof. Yeah, I'll never learn... I just wanted to get rid of the stringyness of the coils and get a bit of body in there, but not THAT much! And that cone-laden cream (by Schwarzkopf) left my hair feeling like a nylon wig. Yeuch! Hate that! Next time I'll leave the length alone and neaten the canopy a little. Then flip the lot. :p

Thank you for sharing :) It is insane how finicky curly hair can be, such divas! This past week I have been experimenting with only using my SLS-free moisturizing shampoo and coconut oil leave-in. So far this has been great; defined curls and minimum frizz. But as I said before, this doesn't last for very long ... A couple hours, tops. I wonder how my hair would react to only the shampoo and no leave-in at all. I'd be afraid my hair would be too dry though, I'm not quite sure. I like experimenting with different oils and conditioners. So far the only conditioner my hair has liked is Nature's Gate tea tree conditioner.

If you try without the leave in and don't like it, you could always re-dampen your hair with a spray bottle or something and add the leave in oil afterwards. It's funny, but as much as my ACV'd hair feels great afterwards, the ACV always makes it a frizzfest, especially in my canopy.

Auni
May 4th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I'm actually experimenting with shampoo bars at the moment. I've seen some amazing waves and wurls with shampoo bars only and I WANT THAT!! This morning, I ran out of ACV, so I dropped the rinse...here's to seeing how my hair fairs without a rinse AND without conditioner, kinda nervous!:eek: Too bad I'm off to work with a bun in, It would be nice to air dry and see the texture:eye:

catasa
May 4th, 2015, 07:41 AM

I have tried only shampoo without leave in a couple of times and results have varied between quite good and straightish/frizzy, but it has never been extremely dry. It would probably not be good doing it continuously though, depending on how often you wash of course. If you try it and it gets too dry, you could re-wet it and add a leave in as mentioned by Crystawni.

I understand that it must be frustrating with curls that straighten out in a couple of hours, mine also does that on certain days, other times I can even go a second day with good spirals. Do you use protein? I find that that sometimes increases my curls and makes them more durable (and sometimes not...).

As I mentioned I donīt do deep treatments anymore since I tend to end up with major frizz afterwards, but back when I still tried it I actually had good results sometimes with simple overnight bagging of wet/damp lengths without any other product than the water. Maybe this could be something to try for you if you havenīt already. I tried this when I thought that my hair was non-porous and consequently would need a long time to absorb moisture, but I am still not sure whether it is non-porous or not, and I have stopped trying to figure it out because it behaves differently every day...

To dilute my shampoo I simply keep a small plastic bowl in the shower, into which I put a small amount of ACV before starting (a bit less than a teaspoon maybe?) Then I squirt a bit of shampoo (about a teaspoon or somewhat less I think, more if hair is dirtier than usual), and add maybe 1 1/2 deciliter of shower water. I find that to keep it simple like this, and to have everything at hand in the bathroom, is the only way I will get myself to keep up a routine. I also like to avoid mixing a larger amount of dilution beforehand, since I donīt have the energy to mess with preserving it etc. I donīt use ACV as a rinse on itīs own anymore, I have tried different varieties of that and citric acid rinses, but found that it dried out my hair in the long term.

catasa
May 4th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I'm actually experimenting with shampoo bars at the moment. I've seen some amazing waves and wurls with shampoo bars only and I WANT THAT!! This morning, I ran out of ACV, so I dropped the rinse...here's to seeing how my hair fairs without a rinse AND without conditioner, kinda nervous!:eek: Too bad I'm off to work with a bun in, It would be nice to air dry and see the texture:eye:

Hope you have good results! If you do it would be nice to see a picture, if you want to post one of course! :)

Theobroma
May 4th, 2015, 10:22 AM

I've used soap bars for over two years now and my hair loves them! It's soft, shiny, and I barely have a split end to my name. The only issue I'm still battling is that if I use leave-in oil (and/or AVG), it stretches out my wurls, and if I don't, I get better wurls but also much more frizz. Still trying to solve that particular conundrum!

Crystawni
May 4th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I wish AVG worked for my hair, but I guess the constant tropical humidity here works against it. And yup, I hear you on the oil stretching things, although the oiling I do pre-poo brings all my wurlies up (in a very oily, slick fashion).

Do any of you find that your wave/curl pattern never changes? I look back on the length shots I've taken over the past year and found the same pattern travels down the length with the promise of more curlies on the ends (the end pattern is a curl in formation, with the same clumps doing their thing as higher up). I can actually see the programming (if that makes sense :silly: ), and if it dies off/flattens over the days, rewetting it brings back the same wurls.

Auni
May 6th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Hope you have good results! If you do it would be nice to see a picture, if you want to post one of course! :)
I'll try, if it's worth it!:p

I've used soap bars for over two years now and my hair loves them! It's soft, shiny, and I barely have a split end to my name. The only issue I'm still battling is that if I use leave-in oil (and/or AVG), it stretches out my wurls, and if I don't, I get better wurls but also much more frizz. Still trying to solve that particular conundrum!
I hear ya! I'm playing around with 7 samples I got from CV, so it may be awhile before I find "the one"!

I wish AVG worked for my hair, but I guess the constant tropical humidity here works against it. And yup, I hear you on the oil stretching things, although the oiling I do pre-poo brings all my wurlies up (in a very oily, slick fashion).

Do any of you find that your wave/curl pattern never changes? I look back on the length shots I've taken over the past year and found the same pattern travels down the length with the promise of more curlies on the ends (the end pattern is a curl in formation, with the same clumps doing their thing as higher up). I can actually see the programming (if that makes sense :silly: ), and if it dies off/flattens over the days, rewetting it brings back the same wurls.
I absolutely understand! My length is actually at a stage where the ends are rather annoying, they're flipping outwards and straightish, they have to finish turning the corner so to speak to curl well again. I get this stage about every 6-8 months as my curls grow down.

CoveredByLove
May 6th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Auni... I do believe we are definately hair twins!!! Lol :lol: You described my hair to a T in your first post on here. I have a straight patch at my nape that is barely wavy then my canopy is almost 3b. Can be quite annoying, since I would like to have ringlets on my ends but the wavy nape prevents this from happening! My hair likes to play tricks on me, some days it looks wavy and others it's exploding with ringlets.

I've been playing around with "conditioner only" styling method. Just rake a good bit of conditioner in and nothing else. I'll diffuse just the roots pixie curl method to help speed up air drying otherwise it would take hours. My hair surprisingly turned out with nice curl definition and minimal frizz. Today is second day hair, and it feels a little oily but doesn't look oily. I'm still experimenting with this, cause I get tired of the build up from gels and such. :) I ordered some Freya salve from nightblooming to try this method with. :)

TrapperCreekD
May 6th, 2015, 10:46 AM
No problem, Arwenlily!

How often do you wear your hair curly? I am set on going past waist this time, and it is becoming clear that I will not be able towear it curly much in order to achieve that...
Yes, everybody bring their favorite conditioner, we can dilute it and use for detangling! :lol:

Usually only wash days, since that's when it looks the best. Once it's totally dry, I only make it a couple hours before putting it up.* I sleep in a loose braid so a lot of the volume is gone when I shake it out the next morning but still looks nice so I'd wear Day 2 hair down, and early Day 3 hair is decent, a bit frizzier, before the oil makes its presence known.

* This number is really dependent on your lifestyle and tolerance for hair getting everywhere. Farm life just doesn't jive very well with wearing hair this long down all the time.. which is actually a blessing because I can keep my hair safe between the times its unleased.

mamaherrera
May 19th, 2015, 04:09 PM
TrapperCreekd, that is my issue just like you. On wash days, nice volume, I also sleep in a loose braid, so it looks like I lost half of my hair overnight :-)) Even if I rewet, it never gets the same as going through the whole wash process. I also struggle with product. My hair isn't curly enough to folllow youtube videos of people with super tight curls, because my curls become super flat with no life. They look best without product, which is strange, because most curly people swear by product to keep things under control. I guess my curls are best when they're out of control. Here is a pic of mine--let me know if they look boticelli.Please

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=14046

Auni
May 19th, 2015, 08:56 PM
TrapperCreekd, that is my issue just like you. On wash days, nice volume, I also sleep in a loose braid, so it looks like I lost half of my hair overnight :-)) Even if I rewet, it never gets the same as going through the whole wash process. I also struggle with product. My hair isn't curly enough to folllow youtube videos of people with super tight curls, because my curls become super flat with no life. They look best without product, which is strange, because most curly people swear by product to keep things under control. I guess my curls are best when they're out of control. Here is a pic of mine--let me know if they look boticelli.Please

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006&attachmentid=14046

Your hair is GORGEOUS!:thud: I LOVE the color! Looks botticelli to me!