PDA

View Full Version : Snail Mucus vs. Aloe Gel

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Disclaimer: This is not an animal rights thread. If you have hair related questions or information to contribute you are very welcome. In case your ethics are against it please do NOT ruin the thread for other members.

Ok... i was hesitant wether to open a thread on this, but since i personally tried it already and noticed some benefits, why not. We are doin Monistat, right!? :eek:
I previously mentioned the use of snail mucus serum helping with undoing snarls, and here i am now with a big pot of pure gel to use as i normally would use aloe, to apply all over my hair to moisturize.

What i can tell you far is that it is very slippery, better in terms of moisturizing, easy to distribute as it melts quickly, also it dries absolutely non sticky. Needless to say its a great thing to apply on sensitive skin as well. I will update this thread with continued use and anyone who wants to try it can do the same.
Picture of the 3W Clinic 300g size, cost about 20 eur, almost every asian online beauty store has this.
There is no other ingredients in this one.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/image.jpg3_zpspfl7avrp.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/image.jpg3_zpspfl7avrp.jpg.html)

lunasea
April 10th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I am both intrigued and totally grossed out!

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I am both intrigued and totally grossed out!

I can understand how its uncommon for some people or even gross. I'm really not having any feeling of disgust towards that stuff, on the other hand i personally would never eat butter (although i tried putting ghee in my hair and that was a bad idea, because it smelled for days). The snail mucus is purified, does smell fresh and clean and does NOT have any resemblance to snod at all. :)

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Awesome idea for a thread, MINAKO! :D

My first thought was: hey, aloe vera is WAY cheaper, but yeah, I can see how it doesn't provide the same benefits, since snail mucus is so rich in hyaluronic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_slime) (wonderful moisturizer!).

I'm also really curious how snail slime compares to sea kelp bioferment, as well. Clearly, the sourcing is totally different, but how do they compare in skin and hair application? :hmm:

brickworld13
April 10th, 2015, 12:17 PM
The thread title made me do a double-take. I thought it was a joke at first. Now I'm curious.

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Awesome idea for a thread, MINAKO! :D

My first thought was: hey, aloe vera is WAY cheaper, but yeah, I can see how it doesn't provide the same benefits, since snail mucus is so rich in hyaluronic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_slime) (wonderful moisturizer!).

I'm also really curious how snail slime compares to sea kelp bioferment, as well. Clearly, the sourcing is totally different, but how do they compare in skin and hair application? :hmm:

They probably work in very similar ways, i just have never seen pure sea kelp bioferment to buy anywhere and often the exact percentage in a product is not listed. They are both way more expensive then aloe, but anyone who has at least tried both on the skin will already be convinced that is totally justified.
I found this article, so apparently its not only an asian thing http://www.dominicanhairalliance.com/dhas-diy/7-reasons-why-snail-slime-is-great-for-your-hair

ETA: I see there is pure sea kelp bioferment as well. Either its not available here or i suck at translating this to german, but if i can get it from elsewhere i would totally try that as well.

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 12:43 PM
They probably work in very similar ways, i just have never seen pure sea kelp bioferment to buy anywhere and often the exact percentage in a product is not listed.

I tried SKB a couple years ago from one of those online sellers. LotionCrafter, SkinActives, BulkActives and others carry it. I didn't use it on hair length, since it's expensive, but it's really nice on skin, added to toners, moisturizers and masks. Kelp is actually supposed to be nice for scalp tonics, but I really wouldn't know...

100% snail mucus is not available locally here, unfortunately. I guess it's something I should try to find online some day... It does look very promising, and it's very popular in skin products these days, but I don't know if the low concentrations justify the high price...

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 12:53 PM
In korea this probably goes by the simple name of marine extract or something. But they dont sell it individually, neither does germany. So i will probably have to get it from the states, but thats ok. Its more expensive then the snail stuff, so i can see how that would cost alot on long hair to use frequently. But its worth a shot. Thank you for the suggestion meteor.

I usually buy skincare products every two months, so the snail stuff is easy to repurchase. I really love how it feels on the skin too. So in any case it will not be a waste for anyone to try, unless you happen to be allergic to snails, lol.

texangrrl
April 10th, 2015, 01:00 PM
I can understand how its uncommon for some people or even gross. I'm really not having any feeling of disgust towards that stuff, on the other hand i personally would never eat butter (although i tried putting ghee in my hair and that was a bad idea, because it smelled for days). The snail mucus is purified, does smell fresh and clean and does NOT have any resemblance to snod at all. :)

If the snail mucus is purified, would it still retain it's natural benefits? And how is it purified?

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 01:12 PM
If the snail mucus is purified, would it still retain it's natural benefits? And how is it purified?

I have been reading somewhere that it is filtered several times, but i guess that would be the same with aloe juice as well, or it wouldn't last very long in the bottle. Im sure there is some kind of preservative that is so low in amout they can still call it pure.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 01:14 PM
A lot of years ago, when I wasn't disabled yet, I once saw this in a store (natural type store) in Belgium and it was worked in to a moisturizer. So it wasn't pure mucus. I've never ever known you could get it clear like that.

I'm also very intrigued as to how this works in the hair (does it leave sticky residu?) and would love to know more!

Islandgrrl
April 10th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I'm not intrigued enough by this to actually try it, but it did pique my interest. I just had mental images of picking up a snail and rubbing it on your hair. :bigeyes:

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Lapushka, you should try it, its also said to be very beneficial to boost and define waves. It does not leave a residue at all, neither sticky nor powdery. Im sure that depends on if theres other ingredients in it or not, but i will try several brands. Theres also one that has collagen mixed in. Will see how long the amount is gonna last.
Tony Moly has a pure one as well, as far as i know its the easiest available brand.

missblueeyes
April 10th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm definitely following this thread and I'm excited to see where it's going! I would love a natural detangler - no matter how gross it may sound. :P I definitely want to try it myself but I'm kinda aversed of buying a big jar just to find out it doesn't work for me. Oh well, maybe next month. :D
Does this stuff have any fragrance, MINAKO?
I would also love to know how well it works in SMT's.

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 02:26 PM
If you liked aloe i dont really see a chance this wouldn't work out for you. It does ohave any fragrance added, hardly smells of anythig. I dont exactly do the SMTs as recommended here, because i dont use honey ever. But sometimes my LOCs are so heavy that they totally qualify, i just dont really rinse them out and slap my pre poo on top the night before wash day.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Does it provide "hold" of some sort? If not, I don't think it's for me, MINAKO.

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Does it provide "hold" of some sort? If not, I don't think it's for me, MINAKO.

Not more than aloe either i would say. Its very unlike hairgel, wax or pomade, you cant make hair "stay in place" with it. But since its kinda sticky until it dries it does encourage clumping in a way i guess.
I will have to get back to you on this because i never used it for that purpose so far as my hair always goes in a bun. I will use a larger amount on my entire head tomorrow.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Not more than aloe either i would say. Its very unlike hairgel, wax or pomade, you cant make hair "stay in place" with it. But since its kinda sticky until it dries it does encourage clumping in a way i guess.
I will have to get back to you on this because i never used it for that purpose so far as my hair always goes in a bun. I will use a larger amount on my entire head tomorrow.

Okay! Great. Not that I'm forcing you to experiment. ;) Wouldn't want to push you!

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Okay! Great. Not that I'm forcing you to experiment. ;) Wouldn't want to push you!

Oh, why not expiriment a little bit, its not like im gonna risk any harm to my hair. Maybe i can try to set braidwaves with it and see how it does, or do a bun thats not twisted, these usually fluff apart on me rather quickly. Because of my keratin treatments there is no way im getting alot of wave definition out of anything when airdrying tho.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 10th, 2015, 02:54 PM
This stuff sounds most...intriguing... I wonder if it could be included as part of a moisturising treatment. Does it feel slimy at all?

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I think it would be a dream to LOC with, since you dont need to rinse it out. Im not sure how much is possible to slap on and let the hair soak it up before it looks weird after it dries. Once you put it in your palm it becomes very watery and slippery, but not slimy as in pulling strings between fingers.
Also i think it best used on slightly damp or dry hair since it feel it would prolong overall drying time if applied to wet hair.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Oh, why not expiriment a little bit, its not like im gonna risk any harm to my hair. Maybe i can try to set braidwaves with it and see how it does, or do a bun thats not twisted, these usually fluff apart on me rather quickly. Because of my keratin treatments there is no way im getting alot of wave definition out of anything when airdrying tho.

Yeah, it would be hard to compare then, but in any case it's fun to read how you fare with it!

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Im thinking of using it in the pool noodle roller set thing that has been going around here the last days too. iSo far i can totally confirm excellent moisturizing and nice slip, sometimes its hard to tell for me tho, what product does exactly what, i mix alot of stuff and my hair is most likely overconditioned most of the time.

Im also super curious about that kings berry salve next to the snail gel on the picture. I used the cream of the same line and my skin was holding moisture like crazy.

jeanniet
April 10th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I have a box turtle that loves snails, but it's so disgusting to watch I just can't imagine using the stuff. But it's definitely slick, so I can see where it would be effective. BTW, I've found that the one thing that really works to take the slime off my hands is vinegar, so it might not combine well with a vinegar rinse.

Nellon
April 10th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I'm still wondering if they harmed the snails to get it though?

Kitten1030
April 10th, 2015, 03:42 PM
How the heck do you get that much snail mucous!? I bet they just make this to mess with vegans. Would slug mucous have the same benefits? When me and the little guy are hunting bugs this spring I would love to see my family's horrified/amused look if I just started rubbing slug slime in my hair. I love that this even exists.:happydance:

Hurven
April 10th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I'm intrigued, but I don't think I would ever put it in my hair. I'm not easily grossed out, but just the thought of using snail mucus anywhere on my body makes me shudder... :shudder: I'm sure it has great benefits for the hair, though!

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM
According to this site the snails are not harmed in the process. That does not mean they enjoy being milked either i guess. pretty much like miniature cows indeed.

http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Business-Financial/First-EU-industrial-scale-snail-mucus-plant-to-create-cosmetics-revolution

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM
How the heck do you get that much snail mucous!? I bet they just make this to mess with vegans. Would slug mucous have the same benefits? When me and the little guy are hunting bugs this spring I would love to see my family's horrified/amused look if I just started rubbing slug slime in my hair. I love that this even exists.:happydance:

http://inventorspot.com/files/images/102540vuqqdxmcmqr2q664.jpg.thumb.jpg :eek::eek::eek:

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Seeing as we "kill" ours in the garden, they probably have a much better life as "cows". ;)

hennalonghair
April 10th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Yeah! I'm all for holistic healthcare but the thought of snail mucus in my hair kinda creeps me out on many levels.:shudder:
Where do they get the snails?
Are they being bred and killed exclusively for this?
Just the thought of smearing a gross part of an animal all over my hair just to make it silky and smooth doesn't do it for me:shudder:

hennalonghair
April 10th, 2015, 04:07 PM
According to this site the snails are not harmed in the process. That does not mean they enjoy being milked either i guess. pretty much like miniature cows indeed.

http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Business-Financial/First-EU-industrial-scale-snail-mucus-plant-to-create-cosmetics-revolution
Snail farms. Lodging up small creatures for our own vanity just seems cruel. No they aren't really cute snd fluffy but it's still disrespecting them and makng them do something for our own profit .

Sorry if I'm overly sentimental here but this just seems so wrong.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I see it's no more odd than extracting venom from a snake. Doesn't hurt the animal, and this doesn't either. :shrug:

Dacia
April 10th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Slug mucous doesn't have any benefits, the filtrate used in cosmetics is their defense secretion: http://www.petrakemindo.co.id/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/polyHELIXAN-rev03.pdf

INCI: http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_788a160195.html

Arctic
Snail farms. Lodging up small creatures for our own vanity just seems cruel. No they aren't really cute snd fluffy but it's still disrespecting them and makng them do something for our own profit .

Sorry if I'm overly sentimental here but this just seems so wrong.

I agree whole heartedly!

MINAKO
I dont think they care much as long as they are being fed. Snails are not dogs and the farmers oviously have an i terest to keep them alive and healthy so they keep producing for extraction.
Everyone has their own kind of sensitivity when it comes to these this, but taking a closer look at silk there is not much of a difference.

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Well I don't wear silk either.

hennalonghair
April 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I see it's no more odd than extracting venom from a snake. Doesn't hurt the animal, and this doesn't either. :shrug:

And how do YOU know that???:shrug:

hennalonghair
April 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM
There's many people who thick chicks at chicken farms don't have it that bad either. :shudder:

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I'm still wondering if they harmed the snails to get it though?

Great point! It has to come from snails, after all! :doh:

So I googled how exactly the mucus is harvested, and I can't really find much beyond that one French farmer who developed some patented way of extracting mucus using salt? :hmm: It claims that it's absolutely not harmful to snails, but I kind of doubt it, since they don't go into any details on how it's done. Also, other farmers may be using other ways of extracting it, possible less humane... :hmm:

That would be a deal-breaker for me personally, I'm afraid. :(
Maybe scientists will be able to replicate the effect of snail mucus in a lab some day, and then I'd be up for trying it. ;)

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 04:22 PM
It is also about more than just hurting or not hurting animals. It also about keeping them in small, unnatural spaces, shortening their lifespan (as soon as the produce more, they are killed), stealing their freedom and absolute value, using them for our vanity and taste and much more. It is naive to claim animals are not being hurt or don't mind.

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Well I don't wear silk either.

As i said, each to their own. I dont eat animal products and would never use something like pigs collagen, as well as im very hesitant about gelatin. Still haven tried it. However, snail extract is alright with me. I guess its also a cultural difference thing why so many are grossed out by the thought.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 04:26 PM
And how do YOU know that???:shrug:

Extracting venom from a snake... better in the container than in your skin, right? ;)

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Extracting venom from a snake... better in the container than in your skin, right? ;)

Not if you'd ask the snake. I know you were kidding, but these things are serious because millions and millions of innocent animals are taken advantage of daily.

hennalonghair
April 10th, 2015, 04:30 PM
AND there is a HUGE difference between taking venom from a snake and mucus from snails
The venom is for SAVING A LIFE!
The snail snot is for smearing it in our hair to make us look pretty?
I mean , how do you even compare the two? :shrug:

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I think they do "beauty" products from snake venom.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I think this thread is getting out of hand, I mean...

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Arctic, i see you point, but i did not make this thread to turn in into an ethical discussion. I think everyone should answer this question for themselves or we will soon start to pick apart every single thread about sleep caps, pillow cases, silk protein treatments, ostrich oil and what not, let alone the meal choices conversations. Really doesnt make sense to me starting this just we are talking about snails now.

missblueeyes
April 10th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Please, guys, let's keep this thread friendly. We're here to discuss the impact that snail mucus has on hair and not how the snails are held and treated. I understand that this is a very opinionated topic and I honestly would prefer to keep it out of this thread. We cannot possibly tell, anyways. If that's a deal-breaker for you, don't use the product but please don't try to put off all the others.
(Edit: Sorry if I come off as rude but it's almost 1 am here and I get really annoyed by people who rub their ethics into my face.)

Kitten1030
April 10th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I think this thread is getting out of hand, I mean...

I figured this thread was headed towards a lock down as soon as I read the title.http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65/anonymouse24/5ca50505-f46c-4538-b24a-b7d1235af27f_zpsgvgzhs9u.jpg (http://s742.photobucket.com/user/anonymouse24/media/5ca50505-f46c-4538-b24a-b7d1235af27f_zpsgvgzhs9u.jpg.html)

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I figured this thread was headed towards a lock down as soon as I read the title.

Uhm, no?! How about asking one of the mods adding a disclaimer to keep this conversation hair related. I really dont see a point of closing down on a product that is internationally used in cosmetics these days. Its all fine for thise who want to be aware of their ingredients and not not use this. That doesnt make it a "bad" thread tho.

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Well I have said what I needed to say. I usually stay well out of topics like these.

But I have another thing in my mind: where is the comparison to aloe gel the title is refering to?

Annibelle
April 10th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Yes, let's keep ethics out of this. This is about HAIR, people! By the way, I'm going to go keep a baby human in a crate and squeeze juice out of it because I think the baby juice will make my hair beautiful. But no one here can whine about that because this is about hair, not morality! Ugh I haaaate when people have morals. It totally takes my mind away from my perfect hair for a fraction of a second, and I can't have that.

Dacia
April 10th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Great point! It has to come from snails, after all! :doh:

So I googled how exactly the mucus is harvested, and I can't really find much beyond that one French farmer who developed some patented way of extracting mucus using salt? :hmm: It claims that it's absolutely not harmful to snails, but I kind of doubt it, since they don't go into any details on how it's done. Also, other farmers may be using other ways of extracting it, possible less humane... :hmm:

According to a peruvian page, the snails release up to 30% of their weight in defense secretion after being electrocuted, they need 6 months of recuperation and after 3 sessions they end up drowned in garlic butter and parsley.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Gy9ua8BS4Xc/Td6qzO3-kDI/AAAAAAAAAFA/EqNFgw-3PdA/s1600/DSC03154.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PWFQFKLkqWA/Td6z2q_xcNI/AAAAAAAAAFU/mfrPOmjovPs/s1600/DSC03160.JPG

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Yes, let's keep ethics out of this. This is about HAIR, people! By the way, I'm going to go keep a baby human in a crate and squeeze juice out of it because I think the baby juice will make my hair beautiful. But no one here can whine about that because this is about hair, not morality! Ugh I haaaate when people have morals. It totally takes my mind away from my perfect hair for a fraction of a second, and I can't have that.

Hear hear! :applause

According to a peruvian page, the snails release up to 30% of their weight in defense secretion after being electrocuted, they need 6 months of recuperation and after 3 sessions they end up drowned in garlic butter and parsley.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Gy9ua8BS4Xc/Td6qzO3-kDI/AAAAAAAAAFA/EqNFgw-3PdA/s1600/DSC03154.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PWFQFKLkqWA/Td6z2q_xcNI/AAAAAAAAAFU/mfrPOmjovPs/s1600/DSC03160.JPG

Thank you for posting these!

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Well I have said what I needed to say. I usually stay well out of topics like these.

But I have another thing in my mind: where is the comparison to aloe gel the title is refering to?

The snail gel works in the same way we would use aloe, but is much stronger when it comes to moisturizing. The consistency is also similar and in skincare its used for similar purpose as well. aloe as a point of reference for the efficiency has been mentioned in several posts.

Anibelle, i absolutely do not appreciate your sarcasm. If you have nothing topic related to say, theres no need to stirr things up further. On that note, this does not violate the forum rules and i dont understand why people get upset, yet we are free spirited about the abuse of medication and juggling with supplements as if it was candy. Do i personally aprove of everything i read here? No! Do i call people out on all these things derailing their threads this way? No! So thank you for letting those of us who are interested in the actual conversation continue.

Anje
April 10th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Yes, let's keep ethics out of this. This is about HAIR, people! By the way, I'm going to go keep a baby human in a crate and squeeze juice out of it because I think the baby juice will make my hair beautiful.
You mean that's NOT how baby oil is made?!

Seriously people, let's keep this on-topic. Yes, there are ethical considerations that should be explored with the use of animal products. But let's not start condemning people for trying a commercially available product.

Nellon
April 10th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Oooops! What did I get started here? Mortified and giggling at the same time.... Why did I ask that question! :doh: I was merely curious, not trying to get us into a whole debate about the ethics behind it. Honestly, I wasn't!

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I think everyone should answer this question for themselves

This makes sense to me. :agree: I think everybody has personal ethical decisions to make on subjects like this, and thankfully we all do have ample platforms to discuss them - for example, the Vegans/Vegetarian thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=206&page=524&p=2986491#post2986491), and we are all free to start other threads, as well. :flower: Maybe that would lead to more constructive and in-depth discussions on the subject? :flower: After all, it doesn't make much sense to me why it's MINAKO's thread that got all this pressure, but not the gelatin protein treatment one or the emu oil one or the ostrich oil one the honey lightening or the much-recommended SMT or yogurt or silk pillowcases/sleepcaps or boar bristle brushes (not all are from shed bristles :( ) ... the list can go on and on... :flower:

I hope this doesn't upset anyone. :grouphug: Just thought it might be helpful to discuss stuff in more targeted on-topic threads. :)

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Seems interesting! It's not something I would do just because aloe is cheeper and more readily available than snail slime. I'd probably try it if someone handed me a jar and told me to try their snail slime though...

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Oooops! What did I get started here? Mortified and giggling at the same time.... Why did I ask that question! :doh: I was merely curious, not trying to get us into a whole debate about the ethics behind it. Honestly, I wasn't!

Oh no! Nellon, please don't think that you did anything wrong by asking the question! :grouphug:

For example, I somehow didn't even think that snails would be hurt in the process :doh:, so glad that I checked thanks to your question! :D
It's a personal question for everybody to answer for themselves, but it's not wrong at all to ask it! :flowers: :love:

Nellon
April 10th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Thank you meteor! My knight in shining armour :smooch:

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Nellon, dont worry. I was kind of expecting this to come up sooner or later. It is ok to know how stuff is made and then decide wether to use it or keep away from from it. But most of the responses were not very informative.
As i said, there are so many things on here with the potential for controversy, we cant agree on everything. But i would rather share my expirience about something i am personally using and happen to find efficient than pretending i am not.
Judging people on this fact does not change anything. The time it takes to write several posts of objection might as well be used to whip up a petition to support your belief, if its that important. I will only post about the use of the product and not explain myself on ethics any further after this.

Anje and Meteor, thank you! :flower:

swearnsue
April 10th, 2015, 06:06 PM
The aloe gel I've been using is kind of slimy feeling and good for putting on my ends when I'm making a bun. I can also use it to tame the wild and static-y hair on the top and sides of my hair. BUT it probably doesn't have anything especially good for my hair like the snail slime seems to have.

It's one of those things I wish a friend would buy so I could try it on their dime!

Kyla
April 10th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I know that snail slime is sometimes used ingredient in skin care, especially Korean skin care it seems. I actually have a sheet mask somewhere with snail mucous in it, although I haven't used it yet. I probably wouldn't use it on my hair because of the expense, but it's certainly interesting.

I remember a few years ago there was a thread on using "whale sperm" on hair, which I think is a lot weirder than this.

(For the record, I think the whale sperm was probably a mistranslation and it was actually something made from the sperm whale. I'm not sure though.)

Arctic
April 10th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I have used both aloe gel and aloe juice. Of the 2 aloe juice was in no doubt more moisturizing, and made my hair feel better. Aloe gel, if used as is, makes my hair really tangly and doesn't seem to moisturize much. BUT if I dilute it with a little bit of water, it starts to behave almost exactly like aloe juice would: no tangling, very moisturizing, and makes my hair feel great.

Just writing this, in case someone has not tried diluting their aloe gel.

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2015, 06:11 PM
It's one of those things I wish a friend would buy so I could try it on their dime!

I was thinking the same thing, but there's no way any of my friends would ever buy a jug of snail boogies...lol They still think coconut oil is weird.

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Just for some more opinion on how this does for hair i went and looked up the reviews on the dominican products, since i never heard of it being used on hair in asian countries. The stuff called Baba de Caracol has snail mucus in it, not sure about the concentration but most reviews are very positive. With the pure stuff i probably need less and can simply make it an addition to the products i already like. Its been mentioned in an article on naturally curly as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/181-3849432-1428818?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=baba+de+caracol

Kitten1030
April 10th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Disclaimer: Everything that I say ever must be taken in a jokey sort of way. I am actually quite enjoying this topic. Don't worry Nellon it was bound to happen. I want a jar for my bathroom just for guest reactions. Where do you find this stuff to buy? I would also like to know who thought to use snail slime in the first place. I'm going to have to do some independent research on the topic

kaydana
April 10th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I've only heard of it for skin care before, hadn't realised it was good for hair too. I'd be tempted to try it if it weren't for the price tag, could do with being able to buy a sample rather than shelling (sorry... couldn't resist :oops:) out for a huge tub of something I'm not sure will work for me.

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 06:21 PM
(Note: This is such a fast-moving thread, so if by the time I post, this will already be irrelevant (or fully covered and I'm cross-posting), please ignore me! :flower:)

I really do hope that a synthetic equivalent of snail mucus will be created soon... after all, manufacturers should notice that it looks like there are at least 2 pretty normal reservations on this matter by many consumers:
a) aesthetics of using animal slime (a.k.a. the "ick" factor);
b) ethics of using animals (the animal cruelty factor).

I do hope chemists are on it! :D After all, hyaluronic acid (moisturizing ingredient) (which this snail mucus is particularly rich in) was first isolated from cow eyes in 1934 (and I think it still comes from animals :( ), used in all sorts of surgeries (eye, knee, cartilage, etc...) and cosmetic surgeries, many treatments... It's used so much... I sure hope a synthetic equivalent will be developed soon. :cheer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyaluronan
http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/03/24/is-hyaluronic-acid-a-good-anti-aging-ingredient/

It also looks like snail slime contains allantoin (soothing) and glycolic acid (exfoliating) - which we already can easily find in synthetic form, I believe. :) (Simultaneous determination of allantoin and glycolic acid in snail mucus and cosmetic creams with high performance liquid chromatography and ultraviolet detection - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24239039)

There are copper peptides (cell-communicating, anti-aging) in it, too (http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/02/10/are-snail-creams-good-for-your-skin/) - and those definitely don't have to come from bio-active materials either.

And I know there are some antioxidants (anti-aging) in it, but don't know which ones, and not sure if they are the kinds that work topically... :hmm: We can probably easily get those from multiple sources non-animal sources, but I can't know for sure.

That's all I found so far... Does anybody know what other beneficial components are in snail slime and if they can be found in other ingredients? :)

Colochita
April 10th, 2015, 06:21 PM
This is interesting. My hair loves aloe vera gel and I'd likely use this in my hair if I got my hands on it.

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 06:24 PM
MINAKO and anybody else who has tried it, have you guys noticed any benefits on skin/scalp? :) It seems like that would be primary use, more so than hair...

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 06:35 PM
I would also like to know who thought to use snail slime in the first place. I'm going to have to do some independent research on the topic

According to this (http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/snail-slime-sliding-skin-care-products/story?id=26268806):
“Snail gel began with the ancient Greeks and was later rediscovered by Chilean farmers who noticed their hands were softer after touching snail secretion,” Yoon says. “Scientists have done a great job discovering the benefits of the filtrate and it has been trending in Korea over the last five to seven years.”

I do take it with a BIG grain of salt, since a) it's part of marketing, of course; b) I've actually heard the exact same story about beer & brewers' hands and kelp/seaweed and fishermen's hands... oh well... :lol:

Also, according to Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_slime), "snail slime was traditionally used medicinally from Ancient Greece to the Middle Ages internally against gastrointestinal ulcers, and in the form of syrup, to soothe a cough".

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Oh yes, my skin loves it. Usually its that dry that anything to oily just sits on top and does not even absorb well, but the snail extract makes it super plump and moisturized. I use my serum at night under my cream and look alot fresher in the mornings. mY makeup goes on better and i have absolutely no irritation from it. My skin is not super sensitive but my eyes are sort of.

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 06:38 PM
^ Thanks so much, MINAKO! :D That plumping, moisture and freshness does sound like that great hyaluronan effect. :agree:

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I've only heard of it for skin care before, hadn't realised it was good for hair too. I'd be tempted to try it if it weren't for the price tag, could do with being able to buy a sample rather than shelling (sorry... couldn't resist :oops:) out for a huge tub of something I'm not sure will work for me.

It a bit cheaper on amazon than what i paid, but i dont like my stuff to go through customs if i can avoid it, as it adds up anyways. I dont think there are smaller sizes. This is a product that many koreans use as frequently as hand soap. The face serums contain less amount but are even more expensive due to other active ingredients.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3w+clinic+snail+mucus+soothing+gel&sprefix=3w+clinic+s%2Caps%2C395

http://www.amazon.com/TONYMOLY-Pure-Snail-Moisture-300ml/dp/B00OCHVGUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428712782&sr=8-1&keywords=tony+moly+eco

Colochita
April 10th, 2015, 06:55 PM
I jumped and ordered it from Amazon. :blushing: Have you ever tried mixing it with aloe vera, MINAKO? I'm thinking that would help it stretch for a longer period. I know I'm weird, but I'm really excited to mix them together and slather it all over my head.

Dacia
April 10th, 2015, 06:57 PM
I'm gonna repost the link: http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_788a160195.html

The Korean product doesn't really look like 100% pure nail extract, but as a very hydrating gel with a little secretion filtrate AND aloe vera...

gthlvrmx
April 10th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Does the snail mucus act as a humectant similar to aloe vera? That would be great to use in an SMT if it does attract moisture! What happens to the mucus if you heat it in a microwave?

Colochita
April 10th, 2015, 06:59 PM

The Korean product doesn't really look like 100% pure nail extract, but as a very hydrating gel with a little secretion filtrate AND aloe vera...

I guess this answers my question! :)

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 07:53 PM

Thats new to me :/, not what the shop said where i bought it from. They claimed it was pure, maybe they just suck at the ingredients translation. Or the site listing the ingredients does. It looks like its one of those where people can comtribute entries and i would prefer a list from the company over that.
Sadly i can not read korean, so i trusted the shop i bought from. I used it on my face and hands today and have to say in any case it quite potent, there must be a reason why it is prefered over the aloe from the same brand, but i will try to find out and might get a different one to compare the next time. The serum is 30ml at roughly 25 bucks, so no way thats going all over my head.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
April 10th, 2015, 11:49 PM
I'm tempted to try this. Especially for my skin, it sounds kind of awesome! I wonder how I would explain the giant tub of snail snot in the bathroom to my husband though:ponder:... He'd probably think I've lost my mind :crazyq::run:

hennalonghair
April 11th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Well as it turns out , 'no snails were harmed in the making of THIS particular product ' cause there's not enough in there to even make it on the label ingredients list:lol:
Read the link provided in the post above you lauren_alia
This is false advertising at its finest.:rollin:

Colochita
April 11th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Well as it turns out , 'no snails were harmed in the making of THIS particular product ' cause there's not enough in there to even make it on the label ingredients list:lol:

Well, I guess that should make some people happy.

Regardless, it seems like a product that people like. I got one of the other ones to try (with snail stuff higher in the list) and I'll be reporting back here how it does. :) For the record, I don't particularly care how the snail is 'milked' if it is.

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 01:00 AM
I just applied it to my hair and my bun is almost falling out, thats not the first time this happens but definitely a good sign.
while im still curious about that ingredient list i think theres at least enough in this product to have a noticable effect. I found two different ones 74% and 90% and translated ingredients on the package, so i will try these as well and see if they need dillution or not.
The bun will stay in all day, so i have to wait a little bit to see whats going on. I ised two teaspoons of the gel and one teaspoon conditioner.

ETA: Colochita which one did you get? Im definitely curious how it does for you.

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Is it stronger of a gel than AVG? I'm wondering about this in the care for extremely dry skin. I'm weary of gels on my face because it can dry out my face (I barely tolerate water on it), so... but I'm just wondering how hydrating it is. MINAKO, do you know?

*ReiKa*
April 11th, 2015, 05:07 AM
I use a face serum and a hand cream with snail secretion, both from Dr.Organic, they have a nice range of products made with snail secretion.
They do make a snail gel also, it is expensive (20 pounds for 50ml of product) but snail secretion is third up in the ingredients list, preceded by aloe juice and water. I've never thought of buying it to use it on my hair, to be honest I think that the properties of nail secretion work only for the skin.

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Is it stronger of a gel than AVG? I'm wondering about this in the care for extremely dry skin. I'm weary of gels on my face because it can dry out my face (I barely tolerate water on it), so... but I'm just wondering how hydrating it is. MINAKO, do you know?

I would say it is weaker, sticky until it dries but then hairs is buttery soft to the touch. I noticed for a while that my hair became smoother and it it gets too soft along with that my buns "unsnail" literally, and thats what i have today. I do not noticed increase shine, but that may or may not be the concentration or my hair. I have been trying to find the original ingredient list for a while now to check on the percentage but wasnt successfull.
for anyone who want to try itand not spend too much, i have seen a small size by Mizon on offer for 8usd, 45ml and 74%
In any case its an excellent face moisturizer,very different from typical light gel formulas that leave skin dry again. But if you have dry skin to begin with i would still finish with a drop or two of face oil. Dont be shy to use alot of the gel, especially in the evening.
Totally unrelated, but if you want a bad a$$ moisturizer, try Mizon King to the Kong Cream, and dont be decieved by the cute packaging, this stuff was the only thing that would keep my skin hydrated all day in the winter, but its light enough to use in the summer as well and comes in quite a big tin. I recommending like crazy because layering up to ten products is totally normal with that stuff, but each one stands brilliantly by itself

Anje
April 11th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Aloe gel, if used as is, makes my hair really tangly and doesn't seem to moisturize much. BUT if I dilute it with a little bit of water, it starts to behave almost exactly like aloe juice would: no tangling, very moisturizing, and makes my hair feel great.

Just writing this, in case someone has not tried diluting their aloe gel.

I just stumbled across this on my own earlier this week! My scalp was dryer than dry, hair recently washed, and I wanted anything that would moisturize without gunking up my hair too bad. Diluted some aloe gel to make it go on easier, put in just a little oil (still too much, it turned out), and spread it all over with a dropper.

It was WAY more moisturizing than aloe gel has ever been for me before!

I've got a ton to use up before it goes off following dilution, but I'm thrilled. This might be a game-changer for me with aloe.

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Ok, im confused. I just took my bun down to examine my hair and as i mentioned before is was planning on washin tomorrow. But my hair feels like the morning after i washed it. Its so soft that it almost feels thinner to the touch, also it is straighter than when i normally take down my bun ans spreads nicely. I didnt notice any stickyness whatsoever, the comb glides just through.
I never had this with pure aloe (moisturizing yes, but mega soft and straighter, no. also it would feel crunchy if i used two heaped teaspoons and just let it dry in my hair), so even if its in there the snail is doing something different.
I dont think this would actually enhance curls, but stretch them while still giving some definition. On a lower setting probably nice to blowdry with.
I will use the pot i have in my pre poos and mix it with my leave ins during the next week.

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM
I would say it is weaker, sticky until it dries but then hairs is buttery soft to the touch. I noticed for a while that my hair became smoother and it it gets too soft along with that my buns "unsnail" literally, and thats what i have today. I do not noticed increase shine, but that may or may not be the concentration or my hair. I have been trying to find the original ingredient list for a while now to check on the percentage but wasnt successfull.
for anyone who want to try itand not spend too much, i have seen a small size by Mizon on offer for 8usd, 45ml and 74%
In any case its an excellent face moisturizer,very different from typical light gel formulas that leave skin dry again. But if you have dry skin to begin with i would still finish with a drop or two of face oil. Dont be shy to use alot of the gel, especially in the evening.
Totally unrelated, but if you want a bad a$$ moisturizer, try Mizon King to the Kong Cream, and dont be decieved by the cute packaging, this stuff was the only thing that would keep my skin hydrated all day in the winter, but its light enough to use in the summer as well and comes in quite a big tin. I recommending like crazy because layering up to ten products is totally normal with that stuff, but each one stands brilliantly by itself

Ok, thanks. Not so much for use on skin then. Not mine at least as it is *extremely* dry, and I mean almost flaky-dry.

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Ok, thanks. Not so much for use on skin then. Not mine at least as it is *extremely* dry, and I mean almost flaky-dry.

Hey, wait, lol. I didnt say its not good, this probably fot lost intranslation because one has to get used to how potent korean moisturizers are. I did read in another thread that you like Nivea, its a good solid everyday cream, i agree. The snail serum will probaly not give you this protective layer as it completely absorbs, but you will feel you skin gradually improving, getting plumper from within and holding moisture better. I dont actually feel like i need to ever put cream on my face anymore, but i keep doing so for the effect not to wear off. The other moisturizer i mentioned is simply beyond compare. If you have really dry skin think of the layering as we do LOC, first the serum, then the cream. Hard to say anything is the best thing ever but you wont go back.

Colochita
April 11th, 2015, 10:22 AM
MINAKO, I picked up the Tonymoly. I'm planning to start trying wash and goes when I head back to the Caribbean for the summer, since it's so humid that my set styles literally either wind up looking like wash and goes or afros.

I'm going to try spraying diluted aloe vera gel on (since I know my hair loves it) and then slathering the Tonymoly on top of that.

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a plan Colochita! :)
I have been reading that people favour the Tonymoly as well as Mizon only now. i should have researched my product better, but as mine still works in a lower concentration it sort of speaks for the snail mucus all the more. However misleading the packaging is and what the actual percentagemay be, it still does what its supposed to do i guess, so if you have a more concentrated one that will most likely go a long way.
the only issue i see that it does not i crease shine, or at least not instantly, so the usual drops of oil/mineral oil to finish will be needed. For bunning now the extreme softness actually kinda sucks, but to wear out it will be great i think.

meteor
April 11th, 2015, 11:08 AM
About these gels and moisture vs. risk of drying out, I think it is important to remember that they are hydrophilic, humectant - so they help attract and hold onto water. So if you notice that aloe/snail mucus dry you out (say, if relative humidity is low), just use them over water or toner or well diluted with water/watery toner and add a couple drops of oil (occlusive/anti-humectant) on top - to prevent fast evaporation of water.
For what it's worth, that's the only way I could ever use aloe vera and sea kelp bioferment - I have to dilute them, otherwise they dry as a rough, sticky, shiny transparent film/mask that I need to wash off. I'm having trouble imagining 100% snail mucus being very easily absorbable into skin, too - they might work as masks though, but for easily absorbable gel, you'd need other ingredients, as well, IMHO.

Does the snail mucus act as a humectant similar to aloe vera?

Yes, both are humectants. :agree:

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
April 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM

Wait, that's the ingredients for the "100% snail mucus"?! :suspect: Lol :laugh: well, I'm still interested in trying it anyways...

missrandie
April 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM
This stuff sounds fascinating!
I can honestly say I have been covered in much worse substances, and this one doesn't gross me out at all.

I wish your bun test had showed a little more hold! That makes me kind of sad (and happy at the same time for the sake of smooth soft hair).

Once my hair grows out more, I think I would like to give it a try, and if I don't like it in hair, I can use it on my face. I have ridiculously sensitive under eye skin that finally recovered from a 6 month attack of hardcore dermatitis, but has never been the same; maybe it will help that.

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Hey, wait, lol. I didnt say its not good, this probably fot lost intranslation because one has to get used to how potent korean moisturizers are. I did read in another thread that you like Nivea, its a good solid everyday cream, i agree. The snail serum will probaly not give you this protective layer as it completely absorbs, but you will feel you skin gradually improving, getting plumper from within and holding moisture better. I dont actually feel like i need to ever put cream on my face anymore, but i keep doing so for the effect not to wear off. The other moisturizer i mentioned is simply beyond compare. If you have really dry skin think of the layering as we do LOC, first the serum, then the cream. Hard to say anything is the best thing ever but you wont go back.

OMG! I'm so sorry for jumping to conclusions, and so fast too. :lol: If I ever come across it here, I might give it a try. Thanks so much! :D

Pantha
April 11th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I'm not intrigued enough by this to actually try it, but it did pique my interest. I just had mental images of picking up a snail and rubbing it on your hair. :bigeyes:

That's what I thought too, I was expecting a picture of a snail sitting on someones head :)

meteor
April 11th, 2015, 03:27 PM
That's what I thought too, I was expecting a picture of a snail sitting on someones head :)

Your wish is my command! :magic:
http://news.nationalpost.com/life/live-snail-facial-purports-to-slow-skin-aging-with-organisms-mucus
http://www.medicaldaily.com/snail-facials-japan-claim-improve-overall-skin-health-mucus-trail-celebrity-escargot-course-worth-it

kaydana
April 11th, 2015, 04:24 PM
OMG! I'm so sorry for jumping to conclusions, and so fast too. :lol: If I ever come across it here, I might give it a try. Thanks so much! :D

Even if you don't try the snail mucus, I highly recommend giving layering products a go if you have dry skin. I worked out a somewhat Korean inspired routine just using products I already had or could get hold of easily here and the difference it has made to my skin has been phenomenal.

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Even if you don't try the snail mucus, I highly recommend giving layering products a go if you have dry skin. I worked out a somewhat Korean inspired routine just using products I already had or could get hold of easily here and the difference it has made to my skin has been phenomenal.

Using water once a day (when getting up, not at night) and putting the Nivea (blue tin) on twice seems okay. I also use almond oil underneath the Nivea (a few drops on a cotton ball, rubbed over the skin). It's enough for me.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
April 11th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Your wish is my command! :magic:
http://news.nationalpost.com/life/live-snail-facial-purports-to-slow-skin-aging-with-organisms-mucus
http://www.medicaldaily.com/snail-facials-japan-claim-improve-overall-skin-health-mucus-trail-celebrity-escargot-course-worth-it

:laugh: The woman's face on the second link is great- she definitely seems a little freaked out.

MINAKO
April 12th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Lapushka, i think its a good idea to enable the skin to retain more moisture for a longer period of time. Since you said its in general so dry that its flaky, the effects of the nivea dont seem to last longer until the next time you wash your face. Really, try a nice serum and maybe sheet masks twice a week. I also really like oil based cleansers. I used to exfoliate like crazy, the flakyness went away but still my skin was dry, and sort of papery instead. But now it isnt.

I decided to skip wash day and slap on some more gel and amla oil until tomorrow, i wanna see if the effect increases with multiple applications and also if i do get it straighter. So far it does not really leave a residue, i can tell theres product in my hair but attribute that to the oil and previous leave ins i used.
Btw, my mom likes the stuff too, she says she pefers creamier stuff for the face but it would make a good base underneath or handcream for throughout the day.

Arctic
April 12th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I just stumbled across this on my own earlier this week! My scalp was dryer than dry, hair recently washed, and I wanted anything that would moisturize without gunking up my hair too bad. Diluted some aloe gel to make it go on easier, put in just a little oil (still too much, it turned out), and spread it all over with a dropper.

It was WAY more moisturizing than aloe gel has ever been for me before!

I've got a ton to use up before it goes off following dilution, but I'm thrilled. This might be a game-changer for me with aloe.

Thanks for letting me know! Good to hear I'm not the onlyone who has noticed this! It's interesting effect, I wonder why it happens?

lapushka
April 12th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Lapushka, i think its a good idea to enable the skin to retain more moisture for a longer period of time. Since you said its in general so dry that its flaky, the effects of the nivea dont seem to last longer until the next time you wash your face. Really, try a nice serum and maybe sheet masks twice a week. I also really like oil based cleansers. I used to exfoliate like crazy, the flakyness went away but still my skin was dry, and sort of papery instead. But now it isnt.

Masks dry out my skin (even those for dry skin, if they are out there - hard to find). Serums don't work, not as well as the almond oil & Nivea (once had a Louis Widmer one). Honestly, I think I've long found my HG products. ;)

MINAKO
April 12th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Sorry if i came across as if i wanted to push products on you, that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to emphasize that especially with korean products it can be a very new expirience, compared to what you would find on the shelves here. I still like plain oils for my body, Eucerin and the Estee Lauder Night Repair as well as a seabuckthorn moisturizer from the drugstore. Anything else i wouldn't feel like using anymore, but as much as our hair, each skin is unique and different things work for different people.

lapushka
April 12th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Sorry if i came across as if i wanted to push products on you, that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to emphasize that especially with korean products it can be a very new expirience, compared to what you would find on the shelves here. I still like plain oils for my body, Eucerin and the Estee Lauder Night Repair as well as a seabuckthorn moisturizer from the drugstore. Anything else i wouldn't feel like using anymore, but as much as our hair, each skin is unique and different things work for different people.

Oh no, I didn't read it that way, MINAKO, don't worry! :)

M-L-E
April 12th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Great thread! Hadn't contemplated snail gel on my hair before, but I tried it on my hands once. They were giving away little free sample at a local health shop, and it was amazing! So so moisturising, my chapped, dry hands were soft and smooth for hours! Sadly, the hefty price tag prevented me buying it. But boy was I tempted...

kaydana
April 12th, 2015, 03:54 PM

I decided to skip wash day and slap on some more gel and amla oil until tomorrow, i wanna see if the effect increases with multiple applications and also if i do get it straighter. So far it does not really leave a residue, i can tell theres product in my hair but attribute that to the oil and previous leave ins i used.
Btw, my mom likes the stuff too, she says she pefers creamier stuff for the face but it would make a good base underneath or handcream for throughout the day.

I think the "toner" made the biggest difference for me. I was absolutely amazed by the difference a couple of drops of humectant-rich liquid made.

kaydana
April 12th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Masks dry out my skin (even those for dry skin, if they are out there - hard to find). Serums don't work, not as well as the almond oil & Nivea (once had a Louis Widmer one). Honestly, I think I've long found my HG products. ;)

Even sheet masks? They're nothing like normal face masks, they're made of fabric soaked with something that's usually similar to the humectant rich "toner" that I use now. They're very moisturising, but if you were ever interested in adding something else to your routine, I'd probably recommend the toner first, because countering the drying effect of water on a daily basis makes more difference to me than the masks do.

MINAKO
April 12th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I think the "toner" made the biggest difference for me. I was absolutely amazed by the difference a couple of drops of humectant-rich liquid made.

Yes i agree, i wouldnt want to miss that step either, Im currently using Skinfood Black Sugar Percect First, its my favorite so far.

lapushka
April 12th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Even sheet masks? They're nothing like normal face masks, they're made of fabric soaked with something that's usually similar to the humectant rich "toner" that I use now. They're very moisturising, but if you were ever interested in adding something else to your routine, I'd probably recommend the toner first, because countering the drying effect of water on a daily basis makes more difference to me than the masks do.

Yep, even those. I can barely stand water on my face, so anything else liquidy with product on it - it's a no-no. I used to have a toner. After one use, it got tossed. All my face needs is oil (OCM) and a thick moisturizer.

kaydana
April 12th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Yep, even those. I can barely stand water on my face, so anything else liquidy with product on it - it's a no-no. I used to have a toner. After one use, it got tossed. All my face needs is oil (OCM) and a thick moisturizer.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you :) Water is pure evil for my skin, too, that's actually why I suggested the toner (humectant based, not alcohol), because just oils and moisturisers aren't enough for me. Funny how two people's skin can respond to stuff so differently, even with apparently the same kinds of issues!

MINAKO
April 13th, 2015, 01:22 AM

As i said before i was trying to find an exact company ingredients list and unfortunately was not successful. I don't trust any site where random people can add any information in genral, so i checked more than a few of my other products that list an english version on the package. The information is often mixed up, incomplete or even straight up false. So at best we are still in the dark about 3W Clinic.

lapushka
April 13th, 2015, 03:26 AM
I'm glad you've found something that works for you :) Water is pure evil for my skin, too, that's actually why I suggested the toner (humectant based, not alcohol), because just oils and moisturisers aren't enough for me. Funny how two people's skin can respond to stuff so differently, even with apparently the same kinds of issues!

I've actually never tried a toner without alcohol... The one that got tossed (this was in my teens, mind you) had alcohol. Back then toners without alcohol (this is the 80s) just weren't available where I live. I just never tried again. Maybe one without alcohol would suit me. This is something I can look into. It's not urgent, though, as I have stuff that's great for me, the sweet almond oil has been a constant since I was tiny (and my doctor at the time suggested it to my mom). I've been using Nivea (on and off) for... gosh *so* many years now. Tried a few other creams and lotions and potions ('cause you know, you gotta :rolleyes:) in between and throughout the years, but I'm back on that Nivea train again. :lol:

kaydana
April 13th, 2015, 04:09 AM
I've actually never tried a toner without alcohol... The one that got tossed (this was in my teens, mind you) had alcohol. Back then toners without alcohol (this is the 80s) just weren't available where I live. I just never tried again. Maybe one without alcohol would suit me. This is something I can look into. It's not urgent, though, as I have stuff that's great for me, the sweet almond oil has been a constant since I was tiny (and my doctor at the time suggested it to my mom). I've been using Nivea (on and off) for... gosh *so* many years now. Tried a few other creams and lotions and potions ('cause you know, you gotta :rolleyes:) in between and throughout the years, but I'm back on that Nivea train again. :lol:

Alcohol based toners are awful, I swore off those in my teens too. They're actually designed to be quite drying, whereas humectant based ones are designed to be moisturising. However, if you find the sheet masks drying, I'm not sure how well the toners would work. It's possible your skin just doesn't like humectants.

MINAKO
April 13th, 2015, 07:44 AM
There is no way on earth Elisha Coy (or any other brand that works with this gummy type of sheet) hydrogel masks dry out your skin. It literally sits on top like cling film, steaming the moisture into the skin, forcing it to absorb because it can not go elsewhere. Put the oil on top and you will be alright.

Back to the snails, its been two days and my hair is ultra soft. It has been great before, but i cant remember the last time combing was so easy. It needs a bit of time to fully dry and work on hair, but since you can leave it in your hair i thinks its awesome for overnight LOC. I think its best for thicker, more stubborn hairtypes, otherwise you will have hair like a two year old kid. If you have too much protein in your hair and need to counteract with moisture, at the same time dont mind a bit more straightness, try it. Im going to order the TonyMoly right now as well, probably also the amizo Aqua step up gel, this definitely has NO snail secretion at all, but im curious about more gel type moisturizers that come in jumbo size.

mzlbcmami
April 27th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Been doing research on this and it sounds interesting. At fiest I was like, "heck no!" But now it doesn't sound too bad. Better than gelatin use. Thanks for posting this. :)

Colochita
April 28th, 2015, 08:36 AM
As an update, I tried out the TonyMoly on dirty hair because I noticed it had alcohol denat. as its second ingredient and I wanted to be able to condition if it dried my hair out. I think that it did. :(. Not severely, but enough for me to become disinterested.

missrandie
April 29th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Hey MINAKO, have you gotten your TonyMoly yet? I am seriously thinking about getting some snaily goodness for my skin and even to share with my hair. Which one at this point would you recommend?