PDA

View Full Version : Help with my hair situation ? Pleasee

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Im going a bit mad trying to grow out my hair, after I got it cut all to one length at christmas (although it was to my chin) I went to another hairdresser after that to get the weight taken out of it as I realised it was very heavy as my hair is very thick!

She went and put loads of layers back in it and it has now grown to shoulder length in 3ish months (just touching top of shoulders) but has loads of stacked layers in the back which are shorter in the back than the sides. I like the flicky layers at the sides, it always looks like I've had a professional blowdry :) Although I don't know what to do with the chunk in the back ? Can it just be grown out as normal? It just seems like its not really going anywhere and just sits like a chunk :(My ends are still thick though..

I guess I'm just wondering if these layers will need to be grown back into the hair with trimming the ends , or just leave It to all grow ? There's a max 2 inch difference of the layers from the ends at the back, whereas the sides are a bit longer. It's more the amount of layering and the way it looks chunky and stacked at the back that bothers me rather than the length, the layers aren't super short compared to my length..I feel like its keeping that bob shape that I don't want..

Any help or advice would be appreciated :)

Im also going to get a small trim every 3 months just to keep evening it out as it grows with all the layers in the back.. I don't know what else I can do :( *cries

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Sorry to say it, but the best thing to do is just wait it out. you can slowly trim to remove the layers and keep it even, or just leave it to do whatever. It's your choice, but you can't really *do* anything to fix it. Only time can do that.

When I was growing my choppy layered hair out, I wore a lot of hats.

Deborah
April 10th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Could you maybe just stop cutting your hair at all for one year; no trims, no scissors at all. In that time the 'chunk' will be lower on your back and easier to deal with. If you keep cutting and trimming it, you will just keep that hard to handle 'chunk' up high where it annoys you. Let all your hair grow further down your back. Once your hair is all longer, then you will be better able to decide whether you need the layers, or whether you would rather trim them out.

endlessly
April 10th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Without having to trim it back to one length again, I think the only thing you really can do is just to continue to let it grow and do the small trims you mentioned to help even it out. Some stylists might know of a better way to perhaps blend the layers, so it doesn't feel like a longer bob hairstyle, but I'm assuming the sides would have to be trimmed quite a bit to do that, too.

I had a terrible haircut several years back with very blunt layers and I opted to just try to grow it out. A trusted hair stylist managed to somehow blend it together so the blunt, choppy layers in the back weren't very noticeable, but I still lost about 6 inches of length around the front. It took a good 4 years to finally grow it to a point that I could just cut it to one length, but it's been a hassle every since. I should mention, too, that I opted to wait until my shortest layer was at hip length before a cut with the longest layer just shy of knee, hence why it took so much longer.

If you want to avoid that kind of trouble, then I would recommend cutting it back to one length now, then trying the growing process again. Versus having several choppy layers put in, ask around with different hair stylists to see what they would recommend. Share your worries and that you don't want it to grow out in the "bob shape". Feathering the hair might be an option or using a pair of thinning shears to have very subtle layers put it. I also have extremely, extremely thick hair and once it gets a bit longer, it's definitely more manageable than it is when it's short. All in all, best of luck in whatever you decide and hopefully you can get quite a few good responses!

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Without having to trim it back to one length again, I think the only thing you really can do is just to continue to let it grow and do the small trims you mentioned to help even it out. Some stylists might know of a better way to perhaps blend the layers, so it doesn't feel like a longer bob hairstyle, but I'm assuming the sides would have to be trimmed quite a bit to do that, too.

I had a terrible haircut several years back with very blunt layers and I opted to just try to grow it out. A trusted hair stylist managed to somehow blend it together so the blunt, choppy layers in the back weren't very noticeable, but I still lost about 6 inches of length around the front. It took a good 4 years to finally grow it to a point that I could just cut it to one length, but it's been a hassle every since. I should mention, too, that I opted to wait until my shortest layer was at hip length before a cut with the longest layer just shy of knee, hence why it took so much longer.

If you want to avoid that kind of trouble, then I would recommend cutting it back to one length now, then trying the growing process again. Versus having several choppy layers put in, ask around with different hair stylists to see what they would recommend. Share your worries and that you don't want it to grow out in the "bob shape". Feathering the hair might be an option or using a pair of thinning shears to have very subtle layers put it. I also have extremely, extremely thick hair and once it gets a bit longer, it's definitely more manageable than it is when it's short. All in all, best of luck in whatever you decide and hopefully you can get quite a few good responses!

Thanks so far everyone for your advice! :) I'm not sure about cutting it back to all one length now though, as it would have the too thick problem as it would be back to chin or above.. and would probably look weird with nothing layered at all there.. It blends ok but the back is literally just a chunk.. I might have to just wait it out :( Its about 2 inches of difference from the shortest layer and some longer layers are about half an inch difference, so one trim in a little while might make a bigger difference ?

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Could you maybe just stop cutting your hair at all for one year; no trims, no scissors at all. In that time the 'chunk' will be lower on your back and easier to deal with. If you keep cutting and trimming it, you will just keep that hard to handle 'chunk' up high where it annoys you. Let all your hair grow further down your back. Once your hair is all longer, then you will be better able to decide whether you need the layers, or whether you would rather trim them out.

That's true, I could just wait it out for a while.. I meant trim the ends of my hair like a quarter inch every 3 months just to get the chunk at the back closer to the ends maybe..

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Sorry to say it, but the best thing to do is just wait it out. you can slowly trim to remove the layers and keep it even, or just leave it to do whatever. It's your choice, but you can't really *do* anything to fix it. Only time can do that.

When I was growing my choppy layered hair out, I wore a lot of hats.

oo were your layers a lot shorter than your ends ? How did you opt to get them all grown longer ? I don't even mind some layers, I actually like the sides of my hair.. just not the horrible stacked layers in the back

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2015, 11:31 AM
oo were your layers a lot shorter than your ends ? How did you opt to get them all grown longer ? I don't even mind some layers, I actually like the sides of my hair.. just not the horrible stacked layers in the back

Yes, my hair was almost shoulder and I had layers that only came to about the top of my ears. Once I decided I wanted long hair, the decision not to cut was pretty easy because it's the fastest way to get long hair. Now I'm almost at BSL and I still have a few layers sticking around, but they don't bother me much anymore because I almost always have my hair up and protected. Once I reach waist I plan on maintaining until they're gone. Just leave your hair to grow. If you cut it more, you'll only set yourself back further.

MINAKO
April 10th, 2015, 11:33 AM
To be honest. I dont think you need to worry, most of the time the hair in the back of the head seems to geow faster anyways, so you simply need to wait for it to catch up by itself.

Lyv
April 10th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Id just let it grow. If you look at the first picture in my sig that's what my inverted bob with stacked choppy layers grew to over 2 years with just a couple of trims. Once it gets a little longer it'll all blend together better.

spidermom
April 10th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I'd probably go to a stylist I trust and find out if the chunky stacked layers in the back could be converted to blended layers without losing any length (preferably). If you don't know anybody, keep growing, and if you see anybody with a great layered cut, ask where they got it done.

lapushka
April 10th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I would just leave it alone. Once you start trimming and evening up this and that and this and that, it *never* ends. There was a time where I couldn't get past BSL and had to have 2 cuts back to chin due to dye and bleach and henna. I never learned my lesson, until I quit it all and let *go* of the idea it had to be trimmed every few minutes, step away from the scissors. Honestly. It will grow out and will mesh together nicely if you just give it time and patience.

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I would just leave it alone. Once you start trimming and evening up this and that and this and that, it *never* ends. There was a time where I couldn't get past BSL and had to have 2 cuts back to chin due to dye and bleach and henna. I never learned my lesson, until I quit it all and let *go* of the idea it had to be trimmed every few minutes, step away from the scissors. Honestly. It will grow out and will mesh together nicely if you just give it time and patience.

Yeah I know youre right, there always seems to be something wrong that it needs cut for.. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my hair and have to let that go.. Ive gotten better though as I grew 2.5 inches in the last 3 months and only cut off a quarter inch of that growth :) It's already grown back.. I'm deffo learning to leave my hair but now another problem..but definitely think i'll leave it! Thanks so much for advice :)

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Id just let it grow. If you look at the first picture in my sig that's what my inverted bob with stacked choppy layers grew to over 2 years with just a couple of trims. Once it gets a little longer it'll all blend together better.

Oh wow it looks amazing! What's your natural colour, do you dye it ? :) The brown-red looks so nice! I'm glad there's a positive story to my stacked layers lol I really just wanted to know that if I left it it wouldn't stay stuck to the back of my head like that.. might get them blended in a while though!

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I'd probably go to a stylist I trust and find out if the chunky stacked layers in the back could be converted to blended layers without losing any length (preferably). If you don't know anybody, keep growing, and if you see anybody with a great layered cut, ask where they got it done.

Ohhh that's a really good idea! It is pretty chunky! Thank for the tip :) Although youre right it's so hard to find a hair stylist you can trust.. I've only ever found one amazing one but she went up in price range eep lol Its crazy how with hair stylists they vary so much from amazing to terrible.. I've had some bad experiences and half the time they don't *really* listen to you..So annoying how unlike most other professions they range in quality crazy amounts. Can't just go to any hairdresser knowing they'll do a good job..

Lyv
April 10th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Oh wow it looks amazing! What's your natural colour, do you dye it ? :) The brown-red looks so nice! I'm glad there's a positive story to my stacked layers lol I really just wanted to know that if I left it it wouldn't stay stuck to the back of my head like that.. might get them blended in a while though!

Thank you! My natural color is light brown ( I think, I've been dying for years haha) In my sig the first is henna over faded red dye and the others are henna over my natural color. It'll definitely start to get better since your hair grows differently all over so it'll start blending itself. I never got mine blended but I trimmed the length up a few times to help it along but if it bugs you, going sooner instead of waiting might work better. I couldn't handle the different lengths while growing out my pixie and would have been miserable if I hadn't fixed what I didn't like asap lol.

stephy190
April 10th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Thank you! My natural color is light brown ( I think, I've been dying for years haha) In my sig the first is henna over faded red dye and the others are henna over my natural color. It'll definitely start to get better since your hair grows differently all over so it'll start blending itself. I never got mine blended but I trimmed the length up a few times to help it along but if it bugs you, going sooner instead of waiting might work better. I couldn't handle the different lengths while growing out my pixie and would have been miserable if I hadn't fixed what I didn't like asap lol.

I lovee the colour! I used to dye my hair reddish but with box dye ages ago.. such a bad idea lol Where do you get your henna from and what colour ? I'd love to dye mine with henna that colour ! Yeah I might end up caving soon and getting another small trim to get it down quicker and maybe get it blended.. so annoying cause the rest is fine, just the back lol

Lyv
April 10th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I lovee the colour! I used to dye my hair reddish but with box dye ages ago.. such a bad idea lol Where do you get your henna from and what colour ? I'd love to dye mine with henna that colour ! Yeah I might end up caving soon and getting another small trim to get it down quicker and maybe get it blended.. so annoying cause the rest is fine, just the back lol

I completely understand! I probably would have gotten mine blended but we moved across the country so by the time we were settled and I was ready to find a stylist it had grown out enough that it looked ok again haha.

I got mine from henna sooq and started with Red Raj which is more of a true red imo but over the faded color it came out a coppery color and then once I cut out the old color I switched to Jamila which is less intense than Red Raj and is supposed to be more of an orange red but with my color it has a slight copper flair in the sun but is a medium auburn the rest of the time. I really love henna but I haven't seen my natural color in years so I'm growing it out.

stephy190
April 11th, 2015, 03:03 AM
I completely understand! I probably would have gotten mine blended but we moved across the country so by the time we were settled and I was ready to find a stylist it had grown out enough that it looked ok again haha.

I got mine from henna sooq and started with Red Raj which is more of a true red imo but over the faded color it came out a coppery color and then once I cut out the old color I switched to Jamila which is less intense than Red Raj and is supposed to be more of an orange red but with my color it has a slight copper flair in the sun but is a medium auburn the rest of the time. I really love henna but I haven't seen my natural color in years so I'm growing it out.

Hmm in that case think i'll leave it for another month or so and see how it looks then! :) Lol that's quite funny it just ended up looking ok when you moved ! yay I have a plan!

Ohh not sure if they post to the UK but would be cool to try henna sometime! Looks just as good as box colour! Although with box colour it can last 3 months then wash out so its not as big a commitment I guess..*sigh I miss not being bothered about hair damage and doing whatever to it lol I'm sure your natural colour is awesome! Are you gonna cut the old colour out again ?

butter52
April 11th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I have a very layered style ( very thick wurly) and have been growing from long pixie.

It kind of depends on what you want, i personally refused to go through terrible hair stages so when my lauers and hem looked very bad, i got a "reshaping" cut but mantaining lenght as much as possible. Ive just needed 2 cuts in a year.

Anyway sometimes layers just behave weird if they fall exactly in a crest or valley of a wave and in 2 weeks they go normal.

lunaF.
April 11th, 2015, 05:55 AM
My advice is to cold turkey chop it all off (it's easier to track your growth and for updos).

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 08:01 AM
My advice is to cold turkey chop it all off (it's easier to track your growth and for updos).

O_o What a detailed recommendation. Not sure if thats the way to make an entrance here. ;)
If she "chops it all off" there will be no length left for any updos for quite a while.

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 09:32 AM
O_o What a detailed recommendation. Not sure if thats the way to make an entrance here. ;)
If she "chops it all off" there will be no length left for any updos for quite a while.

:agree: Yes, I totally agree. Leaving it alone is the best bet, IMMHO.

stephy190
April 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM

Yeah its still thick and healthy right to the ends and there's nothing technically wrong with it..and only a 1.5-2 inch max difference at the back.. its more the shape that bothers me but i'm thinking with another small quarter inch trim at the ends later it'll all grow down at the back faster and still be gaining length.. Don't think chopping it all off is an option, I'm able to put my hair in a bun at this length now, youre right updos make growing out feel easier :)

MINAKO
April 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Asyou already have length goals, im totally for taking smaller steps. I would leave it alone for like 3-4 months and see how much it blends by itself. Then start microtrimmimg 1/4-1/2 an inch per month to get rif of however much you like. It will eventually all come together nicely and especially as you say your hair is healthy, theres no reason for a "clean slate", it only takes a bit of patience for the fine tuning. If you can wear updos, learn a couple more that you enjoy wearing and distract yourself with nice hair accessories. The layers will be forgotten in no time. ;)

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Asyou already have length goals, im totally for taking smaller steps. I would leave it alone for like 3-4 months and see how much it blends by itself. Then start microtrimmimg 1/4-1/2 an inch per month to get rif of however much you like. It will eventually all come together nicely and especially as you say your hair is healthy, theres no reason for a "clean slate", it only takes a bit of patience for the fine tuning. If you can wear updos, learn a couple more that you enjoy wearing and distract yourself with nice hair accessories. The layers will be forgotten in no time. ;)

Yes, plus if you let it grow and blend out on its own a little, it'll be a little longer by then, so easier to trim with the self-trimming method. If it's that short it's just a matter of letting someone help you out with it.

kidari
April 11th, 2015, 03:15 PM
I would just avoid doing another chop to get rid of layers. Try just simply growing it out and only touching the length when you do tiny trims. Eventually the length will catch up with the layers slowly. However, you don't have to suffer with that choppy layer if it bothers you a lot. I wouldn't go back to the person who did it in the first place. Instead do a ton of research and go to someone you know is very skilled at cutting hair and get them to blend it for you without making the bottom length portion all thin and wispy. It can be done, with carefully blending and texturizing without cutting into the hair that is around the nape of your neck.

stephy190
April 29th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I would just avoid doing another chop to get rid of layers. Try just simply growing it out and only touching the length when you do tiny trims. Eventually the length will catch up with the layers slowly. However, you don't have to suffer with that choppy layer if it bothers you a lot. I wouldn't go back to the person who did it in the first place. Instead do a ton of research and go to someone you know is very skilled at cutting hair and get them to blend it for you without making the bottom length portion all thin and wispy. It can be done, with carefully blending and texturizing without cutting into the hair that is around the nape of your neck.

Thank you! Took your advice and I went to someone amazing at cutting and although it was a bit expensive he was able to fix it.. he actually said the layers at the back were completely wrong and he didn't know what was done to them.. the back was incredibly wispy from the layers all the way to the ends when the sides were fine.. so he cut out pretty much all the layers in the back by taking the back up about an inch or so, and kept most of my length in the front so its much more one length than it was before, and he fixed any layers and made them all more blunt and blended nicely :) yay he said I might need one more trim just to make it perfect but its so much thicker now and sits smoother, and its the sort of shoulder length cut I wanted in the first place, even though the back is slightly shorter it doesn't even look it, still looks the same, as the hair I did lose was so wispy that it didn't make a difference lol