PDA

View Full Version : EO combinations for dandruff/oily scalp

healingsolitude
October 2nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have two shampoo type products that I want to order that offer up to three customizable essential oils that can be added to the final products. I've already emailed them to ask if they have the essential oils I'm interested in. My problem now is that I can't figure out which "flavors" I want and only end up finding more combinations I'm interested in when I research them.

My main issue is that I want at least one EO to be compatible with oily scalp and/or dandruff. The other part I've been looking into is what would smell nice. I'm not highly picky since I tend to adjust to scents once I am around them for awhile. I love earthy scents, citrus scents, flowery scents (if they don't smell too much of flowers), unisex scents, and masculine scents when there is a balance to them.

So, I'm posting here because it seems like you all are much more familiar with EO's than I am. I've been using shampoo bars with EO's in them and haven't had any problems with scalp sensitivities. However, that is my only experimentation with EO's. I think I'd probably be better off getting some opinions from others here, and maybe someone here has even tried a combination I'd like or am interested in.

Here are the different combinations I've been looking into so far:

#1 lavender, clary sage, ylang ylang (or sandalwood instead of the clary sage)

#2 lemongrass, cedarwood, rosemary

#3 grapefruit, sandalwood, ylang ylang

#4 lavender, myrrh, patchouli

#5 frankincense, lavender, grapefruit

#6 lemon, lavender, rosemary

Thank you for any help you can offer! :flower:

burns_erin
October 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
I have not tried any of those combinations specifically, the one I use is mostly rosemary, lavender, and sandalwood. It has a very pleasant, to me, herbal scent. And it has done very well for my greasy dandruffy scalp. It also seemed to help clear up my bald patch.

lora410
October 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Tea tree oil is what alot of people use for scalp issues.

hennabrain
October 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
clary sage is supposed to be great for skin issues. i used to use a blend with clary sage for acne.

patchouli, i believe, is said to be antimicrobial, so maybe that would be good for scalp conditions, too.

healingsolitude
October 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone!

The rosemary, lavender, sandalwood one sounds very nice. It kind of makes me think of the lavender, clary sage (or sandalwood), ylang ylang one. Rosemary and ylang ylang both seem to be about the same when it comes to their healing properties from what I've read.

I considered the tea tree oil...then I wasn't so sure because I didn't know how the smell would turn out when combined with other EO's. That one seems very tricky since I'm not a huge fan of the smell. I'd be more interested in experimenting with that one as a rinse with other EO's so that I could always just try another combination if the one turned out bad. This shampoo product is going to last for a long time.

I chose patchouli and clary sage for those reasons, hennabrain. Also for the smell, of course. :) The shampoo product can double as a body wash, so I also like that it would be good for both my skin and my body.