PDA

View Full Version : Faux brushless, heartless / low heat blow dry

copperlites
April 8th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I posted this in the thread about blow drying but Arctic suggested sharing it in its own post as some people might find it a good technique.
Firstly. Here is an interesting article I found, which seems to indicate at around 50 degrees, and beginning with not dripping hair, there is not too much damage. From blow drying. http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...e-in-hair.html (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/08/blow-drying-reduces-moisture-in-hair.html)
With my own hair, i know it is also the brushing / round brushes etc that cause a lot of the damage. so here is a method I have used that gives me a similar effect to blow drying with brushes - root lift, volume, smooth shiny hair with less damage.
1. I bought a pool noodle ( $3 from k mart) They are the things you use at aqua class / swimming, it is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter - i thought i would end up with big soft curls but I didn't, I think those of you with longer hair may get that - mine is BSL.
2. Cut the noodle into suitable lengths - mine are 4 - 5 inches.
3. DO this when hair is damp to almost dry. divide hair into 5 vertical sections.
the front left and right i rolled the hair around the noodle, in towards my face with the noodle vertical. once rolled in a covered it with a clean sock. this served to hold it in place and also keep the hair smooth and heat protected if applying heat with hairdryer.
4. the other three sections I divided in half horizontally and rolled up the noodle horizontally, one on top of the other, so there were two levels of rollers. this gave good root lift. Each time containing the noodled hair in a sock.
5. allow to dry naturally for a few hours or blast on low heat with hair dryer. The socks help protect the hair for direct damage but contain the heat for longer.
I have not taken any photos of this, as I have only done it a few times, but I can do next times if its hard to understand.
I discovered this by accident as I was actually trying to get nice soft large curls, but once out i just had straight hair with body.

meteor
April 8th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Wow! Cool idea! :thumbsup:
I have no experience with pool noodles... Are they light? Are they soft enough to sleep in? :)
It sounds like the results should be somewhat similar to what you'd get with jumbo foam rollers or those extra-large satin-covered foam rollers, but the diameter is probably even bigger so you'd get straighter results and bigger root lift with pool noodles... :hmm:
Excellent idea to try! :D

Elly May
April 8th, 2015, 12:17 PM
What a neat idea!!!! I will have to try this when my hair gets a bit longer. Thanks for sharing!

Another great use for pool noodles is to use them as boot forms.

Arctic
April 8th, 2015, 12:39 PM
I already said in the other thread, but this seems so innovative and clever method!

Gabriel
April 9th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I thought this was very interesting! Especially for a smooth finish to a blow dry with the ends turned under.

I was recently thinking about something similar recently. I had to pull apart my Caruso rollers and get rid of the soft flecked sponge parts because they'd gotten worn out/old. I was thinking about what I could replace them with since it seems like there is no where to order them online anymore. I was thinking about cannibalizing regular sponge rollers and then got to thinking about foam insulation tubing and other things like that but hadn't thought up in size to pool noodle.

Give the frozen orange juice carton rollers from back in the day a run for their money!

MINAKO
April 9th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a betrer version of sponge curling. I will try. Thank you!! :)
I lost my blowdryer when i was moving sometime last year and now i only have a hot air brush. Thinking about a hooded dryer, since i dont like to use any kind of brush in this process as well. I think i would have to buy fishnet socks tho, or my hair will still take forever to dry.