PDA

View Full Version : Henna disasters?

TangledUpInBlue
April 8th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Hi everyone! I thought it would be fun to start a thread where everyone shares disasters they have had using henna. Sort of a guide on "what not to do" for henna newbies like me. :popcorn:

hennalonghair
April 8th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Adding lemon juice to your mix which is recommended by many many suppliers. Lemon juice is extremely acidic and doesn't need to be added. It's very damaging to hair. There are all kinds of healthy terp options if you need more adhesion .
Sadly many people who try henna out for the first time use lemon juice since it's so often recommended and then wonder why henna dried their hair out.:doh: It's not the henna ; it's either the method of application or the fact that your hair hates protein (while henna isn't a protein it acts exactly like one)that has most likely dried out their hair.
That's about the only henna disaster I can think of in my 35 years of use.

Rosetta
April 8th, 2015, 08:36 AM
An older thread about this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34167 :)

Luminaria
April 9th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Henna made my hair super dry, crunchy, and very tangled. That's with one application and I used moisturizing ingredients in the mix. A few years ago, I applied several layers of henna to my hair and my hair was so coated that it would not moisturize at all. It felt hard and wiry and tangled easily. It was very difficult to deal with. I grew it out and cut it off. I think henna is worse on coarse hair than finer hair. My coarse strands were harder to deal with than my fine strands.