PDA

View Full Version : Hair getting shorter- from hip to mid-back :'(:'(

urs
April 7th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Hi all Hair LOvers I have a major problem. From the end of March'15 I noticed that my hair is by my mid-back. NO, I have not been trimming, and I have not cut my hair. Yes, my hair does fall, but about 15 strands to the max, and when washing I am not sure as I don't count. At the same interim, I also noticed that my ends have become thinner, even when I oil my ends. this is depressing me a lot. I use non-sulphate shampoo and conditioner, by Marc Anthony (the Moroccan argon oil). I was so excited at the beginning of the year, that I was told in the forum I had reached hip. I am not sure if it could be pertaining to the thyroid medication that I am. I do take iron supplement and also a multivitamin as an overall supplement. Please help :'( :'( :( so for complaining like a melodramatic women

Panth
April 7th, 2015, 12:56 AM
Is it just your ends, or does your hair feel thinner higher up too?

I would:
- start monitoring your ponytail thickness monthly (like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129056)), to make sure you're not having hair loss due to your medication or any other reason
- start wearing protective updos, if you don't already - as hair gets past waist it increasingly comes into contact with the backs of chairs as you sit - your ends may be rubbing away due to this

urs
April 7th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Is it just your ends, or does your hair feel thinner higher up too?

I would:
- start monitoring your ponytail thickness monthly (like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129056)), to make sure you're not having hair loss due to your medication or any other reason
- start wearing protective updos, if you don't already - as hair gets past waist it increasingly comes into contact with the backs of chairs as you sit - your ends may be rubbing away due to this

Hi, thanks for the reply. I do use bun, everyday. Its the ends, but hubby noticed that from my ear down, its thin

lapushka
April 7th, 2015, 07:43 AM
If you have a medical issue, it's always best to get that checked out instead of blaming it on hair or haircare. Please go see your doctor if you notice major changes in your body, hair or skin/nails.

Panth
April 7th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I do use bun, everyday. Its the ends, but hubby noticed that from my ear down, its thin

I agree with lapushka re. getting your health checked.

However, how are you making your everyday bun? If it's, e.g. with a ponytail elastic to start, that could well be your culprit.

gwenalyn
April 7th, 2015, 01:48 PM
When you get shed hairs, do they have a white bulb on one end? I think (?) this can help you determine if the hair fall is from breakage or normal shedding.

Islandgrrl
April 7th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Thyroid function can be closely tied to the condition of your hair. So it's possible that the thyroid medication could play a part in what's going on. It's also possible that a product you are using in your routine isn't aggreeing with you/your hair.

But it sounds like you should go for a medical evaluation to see if there is anything else going on.

Isilme
April 7th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Do you have any remaining damage from past use of heat styling tools or colour? It can take years to grow out and if the ends are severely damaged the hair can get shorter from the ends breaking off. Is there anything you do now that can be damaging? For example using hairtoys or combs/brushes with sharp edges? Does your hair get repeatedly stuck in tings like glass frames, or trapped between your back and a chair?