PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of that waxy feeling of my hair?

adseg2cf
April 6th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to proper hair care as I used to shampoo/condition my hair with cheap, high street products everyday, without the knowledge that shampooing/conditioning every single day isn't the best for your hair. I have thick, wavy hair, and I don't colour it or use too many styling products in it, just a little bit of pomade when I want to style it. Recently I've changed my hair care routine to improve my hair health and here are my changes to my routine:

1. Organic Aloe Vera shampoo (contains SLS) by "Dr. Organic" every 3 days
2. Organic Argan Oil conditioner by "Dr. Organic" every 3 days
3. Rinse out with cold/luke warm water instead of hot water
4. Pat drying/air drying instead of blowdrying.
5. Shower every day but I wash hair with only water on the days I don't use those products.
6. Use coconut oil to leave in my hair about once every 2 weeks, usually left in for a day and then washed out in the shower.

Very recently I have noticed that my hair, both roots and ends, are waxy/slightly sticky to the touch, and this is after taking a shower. It's a bit annoying because my hair is clumping together and looks/feels greasy. It is difficult to run my fingers through my hair without getting stuck. In short - my hair doesn't have the smooth, flowing feel that I'm after. I am prone to getting a little bit of dandruff, and I'm not sure if this is related. One thing I might be doing is using too much conditioner when I shower, I will try and focus on applying a smaller amount and just on the ends. After doing some research I found out about product buildup in hair, and I'm considering trying out a clarifying shampoo once to see if it helps to get rid of the waxy feeling.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how they dealt with it? And if anyone could critique/suggest changes to my haircare routine, that would be very helpful!

Sorry for the length, and I appreciate any replies.
Thanks!

meteor
April 6th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Judging by the ingredients lists below, the conditioner contains lots and lots of oils and botanical extracts, and that can build up pretty fast on some hair types. Also, the shampoo looks very gentle, so I don't know if it can remove pretty heavy build-up.

I'd definitely clarify with a stronger shampoo periodically. :)

(Shampoo ingredients:
Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Aqua (water), Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, Sodium cocoamphoacetate, Cocamidopropyl betaine, Palmitamidopropyltrimonium chloride, Coco-glucoside, Glyceryl oleate, Sorbitan sesquicaprylate, Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, Parfum*, Limonene, Linalool, Citric acid.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/dr-organic-aloe-vera-shampoo-60083618

Conditioner ingredients:
Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Olea europaea (Olive) oil, Glycerin, Brassicamidopropyl dimethylamine, Aspartic acid, Argania spinosa (Argan) oil, Argania spinosa (Argan) extract, Citrus aurantium dulcis, Eugenia caryophyllus (Clove) leaf oil, Pelargonium graveolens (Geranium) oil, Citrus lemon peel oil, Pogostemon cablin (Patchouli) oil, Cinnamomum zeylanicum (Cinnamon) leaf oil, Aniba rosaeodora (Rosewood) oil, Mentha arvensis herb oil, Citrus nobilis (Mandarin) peel oil, Vanilla planifolia (Vanilla) fruit extract, Mentha spicata herb oil, Kigelia Africana fruit extract, Hibiscus sabdariffa flower extract, Adansonia digitata fruit extract, Tocopheryl acetate, Distearoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, Hydroxypropyl guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium phytate, Benzyl alcohol, Dehydroacetic acid, Citric acid, Glycerin, Sodium benzoate, Potassium sorbate, Limonene, Eugenol, Linalool.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/dr-organic-moroccan-argan-oil-conditioner-60003997)

gwenalyn
April 6th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Also, if you were used to the feeling your hair had when you used more mainstream, drugstore products, it's possible the shampoo/conditioners you were using contained a lot of 'cones, which give hair that nice slippy feel. If I were you, I would consider switching to a new conditioner. I just use a Pantene conditioner every 6 days, and I still get that smooth, flowing feeling that I love.

Nique1202
April 6th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that shampoo looks way too mild to wash out all the oils and stuff in the conditioner. It doesn't even have a proper sulfate. Which is fine for normal use if that works for you, but you might want to add a clarifying shampoo of some sort to your routine every 2-4 weeks.

Also, for using conditioner, the best way I've found is to use it only from the shoulders down, and once it's worked into the ends take whatever bit of residue (it shouldn't be much, just a light/nearly invisible coating on your hands) and spread it just onto the outside of the hair on your head, not massaging it in. Conditioner near the scalp will cause that buildup to happen a lot faster. And, this concentrates the conditioner on the ends where it's needed most instead of near the scalp where your natural oils are.

Teazel
April 6th, 2015, 04:04 PM
What I would do:

1. Stop using coconut oil. It doesn't work for everyone. It makes my hair feel awful.
2. Clarify with clarifying shampoo (and follow up with a moisturising conditioner on the length).

If you get your hair to a good place again you could try re-introducing coconut oil and see what happens.

adseg2cf
April 6th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks a lot for your help! I will try a clarifying shampoo every few weeks and see where it gets me.