PDA

View Full Version : I cut all my long hair by mistake and wasn't bothered- Ask me anything?

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Hey all :)

So I had been growing my hair for nearly 2 years, and earlier this year, I made a hair cutting mistake by myself (learning to cut my hair :p) and I ended up cutting my past waist length hair (almost to hips) which is now up to my shoulders.

I was on the journey to getting to classic, (that did not last long and glad lol) But surprising I wasn't annoyed or anything from my hair cut mistake, I was even more surprised that I was not in the slightest bothered and just carried on without thinking about it!

I can say I am no longer a hair obsessed/interested person.

You can ask me anything :)

Arctic
April 6th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Well the curiousity wants to know, how can you cut so much hair by accident?

Nadine <3
April 6th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Well the curiousity wants to know, how can you cut so much hair by accident?

Also curious...how to you accidentally cut your hair from almost hip to shoulder? That's quite the fumble.

I'm glad you seem to like your new do though!

deelala1925
April 6th, 2015, 11:20 AM
My thoughts exactly.How did it happen !!!

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 11:23 AM
I was cutting layers, I cut too much for one of the shorter layers, and my hair looked uneven. So I cut it back to midback, which I enjoyed for a while, then I got bored of that, still seemed long , so after a month or so, I cut it further to shoulder length, and i'm cool with it, and still can do buns, ponytail etc.

I guess you could say I practiced my hair cutting skills, lol.

MINAKO
April 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Hmm, i liked my shoulder length hair too, although i had to cut out of necessity. Sometimes i just happens to look good and all the attachment to our hair shifts over to enjoying something new and fresh, thats ok.
But tell me what kind of buns you can do now? For me a tiny looped ponytail was all i could manage.

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Hmm, i liked my shoulder length hair too, although i had to cut out of necessity. Sometimes i just happens to look good and all the attachment to our hair shifts over to enjoying something new and fresh, thats ok.
But tell me what kind of buns you can do now? For me a tiny looped ponytail was all i could manage.

Yeah, I like it, I'm a practical person, and plus I find short hair much cuter and eyecatching, people who can pull off short hair, dont depend on their hair to add to their looks, I found long hair too distracting.

I can do top knots (my fave), the cinabuns which I just clip with claw clips, and pretty much whatever I could do before without the added heavy weight. I also like regular showers, and with short hair thats made life easier.

missblueeyes
April 6th, 2015, 12:09 PM
I'm really happy for you! I'm one of those people who can't pull off short hair even though I wish I could.
Have fun with your new 'do!

lapushka
April 6th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I was cutting layers, I cut too much for one of the shorter layers, and my hair looked uneven. So I cut it back to midback, which I enjoyed for a while, then I got bored of that, still seemed long , so after a month or so, I cut it further to shoulder length, and i'm cool with it, and still can do buns, ponytail etc.

I guess you could say I practiced my hair cutting skills, lol.

Oh boy! Cutting layers eh? Please, anyone trying to cut layers with the compact cut method, snip off a little bit first, and *never* try it on hair shorter than BSL (absolute minimum).

StellaKatherine
April 6th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I like it, I'm a practical person, and plus I find short hair much cuter and eyecatching, people who can pull off short hair, dont depend on their hair to add to their looks, I found long hair too distracting.

I can do top knots (my fave), the cinabuns which I just clip with claw clips, and pretty much whatever I could do before without the added heavy weight. I also like regular showers, and with short hair thats made life easier.

Hmm... that is a news for me. I never knew I depended on my hair to add to my looks.

Anyway. Happy to hear you like how your mistake turned out.

cocoahair
April 6th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Hmm... that is a news for me. I never knew I depended on my hair to add to my looks.

Thats what I thought but if i am thinking about it I suppose I do try to use my hair to elongate my heart shaped face when it is down.

Nique1202
April 6th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Well, whatever way you cut your hair, you're doing it to make yourself look the way you want to look. I talk about being vain about my hair now that it feels really long to me, but my shaggy pixie cut in high school that I dyed all colours of the rainbow was no different when it comes down to it, I still cut it to look a certain way. Perhaps it was just a poorly phrased feeling.

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Didnt say you did? :confused:

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 01:40 PM
I'm really happy for you! I'm one of those people who can't pull off short hair even though I wish I could.
Have fun with your new 'do!

Thanks!, the length in your profile looks good :)

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Well, whatever way you cut your hair, you're doing it to make yourself look the way you want to look. I talk about being vain about my hair now that it feels really long to me, but my shaggy pixie cut in high school that I dyed all colours of the rainbow was no different when it comes down to it, I still cut it to look a certain way. Perhaps it was just a poorly phrased feeling.

Not really,

I cut my hair for practicality and ease, not really to make me look a certain way, anyway I bun my hair even when it was long for practicality.

MINAKO
April 6th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Oh well, i get what glitterbug was trying to say. Long hair can be distracting from other things about a person, becoming the main focus feature you would remember about them. Thats undeniably your stereotype femininity (sp?) right there, at least in our case... whatevs. If i wear my hair down i dont allow myself as much makeup as i would with an updo for example. Its just to much, sort of the same thing as it is recommended not to show cleavage and legs at the same time. For some reduction works to enhance other particular features, for others it doesnt and if super feminie isnt your thing then androgyny can totally add to ones looks as well.

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Oh boy! Cutting layers eh? Please, anyone trying to cut layers with the compact cut method, snip off a little bit first, and *never* try it on hair shorter than BSL (absolute minimum).

Ah!, worked out fine, eventually, and perhaps learned a new skill on the way! :)

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Oh well, i get what glitterbug was trying to say. Long hair can be distracting from other things about a person, becoming the main focus feature you would remember about them. Thats undeniably your stereotype femininity (sp?) right there, at least in our case... whatevs. If i wear my hair down i dont allow myself as much makeup as i would with an updo for example. Its just to much, sort of the same thing as it is recommended not to show cleavage and legs at the same time. For some reduction works to enhance other particular features, for others it doesnt and if super feminie isnt your thing then androgyny can totally add to ones looks as well.

Yeah that too, but for me, if my hair is getting in the way of doing things the way I like to do, then it will need to go. But this was a very good mistake, and I'm happier about it! Anyway my hair growth is quite rapid, so I can change styles a lot sooner.

MINAKO
April 6th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Yeah, practical reasons can totally be the better reasons as well. in the past i always did cut way to much whenever i noticed damage, and i was never like "omg, my precious hair... what have i done" i just was ok with the legth i had left and made it look as nice as i could without struggling to do alot in the morning.
Pretty much like i am now just not bothered with how my hemline looks, im too lazy to control each and every single end out of place. I hate S&Ding, so i just let it grow until it tangles and then cut a minimum. I dont have to pay much attention to what im doing. The fascination with classic hair is in part a byproduct of lazyness for me. I like buns and from the front it mostly looks the same at any length.

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Yeah, practical reasons can totally be the better reasons as well. in the past i always did cut way to much whenever i noticed damage, and i was never like "omg, my precious hair... what have i done" i just was ok with the legth i had left and made it look as nice as i could without struggling to do alot in the morning.
Pretty much like i am now just not bothered with how my hemline looks, im too lazy to control each and every single end out of place. I hate S&Ding, so i just let it grow until it tangles and then cut a minimum. I dont have to pay much attention to what im doing. The fascination with classic hair is in part a byproduct of lazyness for me. I like buns and from the front it mostly looks the same at any length.

Yeah I know what you mean, I found S&D'ing completely pointless, like seriously :S, I have better things to do :cheese:

HintOfMint
April 6th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Were you always laid back about length, hair goals and the like, or was this attitude a surprising development when you cut off more than you expected?

glitterbug
April 6th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Were you always laid back about length, hair goals and the like, or was this attitude a surprising development when you cut off more than you expected?

Nope, not at all, this happened afterwards, guess I realised I was missing out.

MicheleZ
April 6th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I think there is a difference between obsessing and truly appreciating. Obviously, you focused on your hair and now you realize you were obsessed - having long hair didn't mean that much to you. There are others that long hair DOES mean that much to them - so, from their point of view, they are not missing out - having long hair is very important to them. It's good that you realized the difference, now you can focus on things that are more important to you.

DizzyGinger
April 6th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I Don't think long hair detracts in any way more than short.

When I had waist length, I got complimented a lot. When it was a short pixie, I also got complimented a lot, sometimes more.

People will always notice our outward appearance...our hair, our eye color, our smiles...keeping your hair long, short, or in between is not a comment to the world about how much you want them to see you or not.

thankyousir74
April 6th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I think there is a difference between obsessing and truly appreciating. Obviously, you focused on your hair and now you realize you were obsessed - having long hair didn't mean that much to you. There are others that long hair DOES mean that much to them - so, from their point of view, they are not missing out - having long hair is very important to them. It's good that you realized the difference, now you can focus on things that are more important to you.

I agree, after so many years of growing, cutting, growing, cutting, now, after all that, my hair is long enough to make pretty buns and braids, I think I was missing out before (when I *couldn't* do those styles.) Haircare doesn't feel like a burden to me at all, given the enjoyment I get out of it...also I love S&Ding in the morning while I drink my coffee and my kittens in my lap. :kitten:

Again, to each their own. Happy that you're happy glitterbug, and sorry it took so long for you to realize what you consider optimal :flower:

chen bao jun
April 6th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Glitterbug, I am glad you are happy with your accidental haircut and that you've realized you don't care that much about long hair.

It was an accidental haircut (accidental to me, not to the hairdresser that did it) that made me realize that I can't stand myself in very short hair, grew it out, never looked back.

I think long hair vs. short hair is just a preference and that some people prefer themselves in long (like me), doesn't mean I don't think I don't look good without long, or that I use it as a crutch or hide behind it or any of those things people tend to say. I just prefer it long. I like playing with it, I find a lot of versatility with being able to put it up, with my hair type, its more convenient to have longer hair, weighs it down which I like. Fortunately I found LHC and am grooowwwing, so I am happy. I am glad you found scissors and hope short hair makes you as happy as long has made me.

and if anything ever changes, you can grow your back--and I can cut mine off. Easy as 1-2-3.

elizk
April 6th, 2015, 10:17 PM
One of the nice things about this community is how polite everyone is, even when provoked. There are more than a few other websites (and people) that could take a lesson from it.

I have had all different lengths of hair. Currently, it's longer than it's ever been (waist). I don't know if I would have a fit if it were "accidentally" cut off, I've never been obsessed with it. I don't have a "goal" for it. I'm growing it out, it looks fantastic (in large part due to the great advice on this site) and I like it. I probably would be upset at an unwanted/unintended chopping - and then I'd grow it out again.

To the OP/Accidental Chopper (sorry, I've forgotten your username), you seem to have discovered some negative feelings you have towards long hair and people who are into their long hair. That's fine, no biggie, to each his or her own pet peeves. I'm not sure The Long Hair Community is the best place on the internet for you to vent your feelings on this issue. Just a thought.

glitterbug
April 7th, 2015, 05:41 AM
One of the nice things about this community is how polite everyone is, even when provoked. There are more than a few other websites (and people) that could take a lesson from it.

I have had all different lengths of hair. Currently, it's longer than it's ever been (waist). I don't know if I would have a fit if it were "accidentally" cut off, I've never been obsessed with it. I don't have a "goal" for it. I'm growing it out, it looks fantastic (in large part due to the great advice on this site) and I like it. I probably would be upset at an unwanted/unintended chopping - and then I'd grow it out again.

To the OP/Accidental Chopper (sorry, I've forgotten your username), you seem to have discovered some negative feelings you have towards long hair and people who are into their long hair. That's fine, no biggie, to each his or her own pet peeves. I'm not sure The Long Hair Community is the best place on the internet for you to vent your feelings on this issue. Just a thought.

uhm not at all!, I dont know how you came to that conclusion, I dont mind long hair on others, I even didnt mind it on myself, but realised that for me, long hair was a pit pointless and that shorter would suit my lifestyle more, which it did.

glitterbug
April 7th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Glitterbug, I am glad you are happy with your accidental haircut and that you've realized you don't care that much about long hair.

It was an accidental haircut (accidental to me, not to the hairdresser that did it) that made me realize that I can't stand myself in very short hair, grew it out, never looked back.

I think long hair vs. short hair is just a preference and that some people prefer themselves in long (like me), doesn't mean I don't think I don't look good without long, or that I use it as a crutch or hide behind it or any of those things people tend to say. I just prefer it long. I like playing with it, I find a lot of versatility with being able to put it up, with my hair type, its more convenient to have longer hair, weighs it down which I like. Fortunately I found LHC and am grooowwwing, so I am happy. I am glad you found scissors and hope short hair makes you as happy as long has made me.

and if anything ever changes, you can grow your back--and I can cut mine off. Easy as 1-2-3.

Thanks, I think the most important thing for me was knowing the correct type of products to use, as I have a sensitive scalp, this info has been useful.

glitterbug
April 7th, 2015, 05:45 AM

browneyedsusan
April 7th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I don't think I'm hair obsessed either, but I am interested in it. :) It's a fun accessory to one's appearance, and can convey a lot of information about a person.

Short, pink pixies are awesome! Knee-length ebony braids are way cool, too.
The only thing that would bug me about cutting back to a pixie now would be for people to assume I was sick, --My mind goes there because I have a friend getting chemo, and losing her hair. Other people might not think that way.--

In the past, I cut from SL to pixie several times. People noticed, but I never got any negative feedback. :)

truepeacenik
April 7th, 2015, 07:50 AM
What compelled you to post about an "accidental cut" (which you said was a few, so how accidental can that be? Unless you are playing on the title "Accidental Tourist") on any long hair forum?

Do you still feel the need to have a hair care forum (since they can be echo chambers)? Or do you feel it's all under control?

I guess I'd consider these questions for anyone who cuts short and loves it.

browneyedsusan
April 7th, 2015, 07:54 AM
What compelled you to post about an "accidental cut" (which you said was a few, so how accidental can that be? Unless you are playing on the title "Accidental Tourist") on any long hair forum?

Do you still feel the need to have a hair care forum (since they can be echo chambers)? Or do you feel it's all under control?

Oh my goodness! You said it out loud! :spitting:

glitterbug
April 7th, 2015, 08:13 AM

I thought I would post to share a small experience, that its no big deal, quite surprised by some of the responses, but expected. Maybe some of your reactions may have been different in my situation. No I dont really use LHC much anyway, but who knows, not everyone has to have the same opinions? it was helpful to know what suits my sensitive scalp (shampoo wise) as I like to wash my hair regularly. The first hair cut I did allowed me to be cool about cutting it shorter, and now I realise that I do like it shorter.

glitterbug
April 7th, 2015, 08:15 AM
I don't think I'm hair obsessed either, but I am interested in it. :) It's a fun accessory to one's appearance, and can convey a lot of information about a person.

Short, pink pixies are awesome! Knee-length ebony braids are way cool, too.
The only thing that would bug me about cutting back to a pixie now would be for people to assume I was sick, --My mind goes there because I have a friend getting chemo, and losing her hair. Other people might not think that way.--

In the past, I cut from SL to pixie several times. People noticed, but I never got any negative feedback. :)

I would get a pixie if it suited!

Rosetta
April 7th, 2015, 08:19 AM
My thoughts exactly...

MicheleZ
April 7th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure coming to the "mane" forum and encouraging people to get a pixie cut is what this forum is about and you know that. You post count is low and you do seem to be trying to provoke the ones that do love their long hair. You have made several negative type comments. This is a LONG HAIR forum.

truepeacenik
April 7th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I thought I would post to share a small experience, that its no big deal, quite surprised by some of the responses, but expected. Maybe some of your reactions may have been different in my situation. No I dont really use LHC much anyway, but who knows, not everyone has to have the same opinions? it was helpful to know what suits my sensitive scalp (shampoo wise) as I like to wash my hair regularly. The first hair cut I did allowed me to be cool about cutting it shorter, and now I realise that I do like it shorter.

I was hoping to hear the title was a play on words. Darn. ;)

I would also like to see the answers to the two part question.
I've wondered what my own would be if something happened to my hair.

Browneyedsusan,
I think it's been discussed here...or another hair board. Maybe on another "I cut" thread.
It's when we start getting philosophical about how forums get used.

glitterbug
April 7th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I was hoping to hear the title was a play on words. Darn. ;)

I would also like to see the answers to the two part question.
I've wondered what my own would be if something happened to my hair.

Browneyedsusan,
I think it's been discussed here...or another hair board. Maybe on another "I cut" thread.
It's when we start getting philosophical about how forums get used.

Maybe.., it worked to get your attention :cool:

StellaKatherine
April 7th, 2015, 09:13 AM
I still don't think, that OP was thinking anything negative about long hair as such. She was just over excited about new hair and new feelings. Sometimes when we write, we might not think how things can be "read". Like when I read, how those who can pull of short hair do not need to have a long hair to add to their appearance. It made me feel like only ugly people have long hair as otherwise they would look worse. I personally wish I could wear short hair, I know it would look good on me as well. But my hair texture is hard to work with when it is short. It takes TONS of time to make it look good. When it is longer, it behave much better and I can make a hairstyles that both look good and easy to make.

lapushka
April 7th, 2015, 02:18 PM
This is a long hair forum in the first place yes, but even those with short(er) hair are welcomed here because of their interest in good hair care (low manipulation, benign neglect, ingredients in products, etc.). I'm sure OP meant nothing negative and was just overwhelmed by her feelings for her "new" hair. :flower:

MicheleZ
April 7th, 2015, 02:28 PM
If that's the case - then yes, I apologize. I'm just sort of wary by nature and it did seem like she was trying to provoke a bit - if she wasn't it's all good.

glitterbug
April 7th, 2015, 02:49 PM
This is a long hair forum in the first place yes, but even those with short(er) hair are welcomed here because of their interest in good hair care (low manipulation, benign neglect, ingredients in products, etc.). I'm sure OP meant nothing negative and was just overwhelmed by her feelings for her "new" hair. :flower:

True, I am still going to carry being a member, I find the knowledge here useful when I need specific help. I did not realise my post would offend anyone, I'm not promoting others to cut hair or whatever, but rather that if a mistake is made, it does not make it the end of the world, and sometimes we need to keep light hearted about some things in life.

Peace to all :)

elizk
April 7th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Maybe.., it worked to get your attention :cool:

Ah. Well that says it all.

Good luck to you.