PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Ripping/Tearing of Hair

Echileruwen
April 5th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Is there anything I can put on my hair to keep it from ripping and tearing? Maybe some conditioner or shampoo? I have shoulder length hairs mixed in with the longer ones, and it comes from pulling my hair out as a bunch when I put on a coat or a sweater. I can hear the individual hairs snapping in two. :( My diet is very good with lots of fresh veggies and all that, so I don't think the weak hair is from poor nutrition. This is what I was googling when I first found this forum, but did not find any answers.

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Hi and welcome!

Generally I wear my hair up in a bun or braided to protect my hair so it doesn't catch on things. If you're not already, I suggest wearing a bun or braid with hair safe tool like a fork or stick, or even soft elastics. If it's up and out of the way, it doesn't get caught on hoodies and shirts or my coat.

Echileruwen
April 5th, 2015, 11:30 PM
I always wear my hair down because I like the way it looks when it's down, but if that's the key to protecting it, I'll stop by the drugstore and pick up something to use to hold it in a bun. Thanks, Nadine.

FallingDarkness
April 5th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Yeah definitely keep your hair up will be the first thing in protecting your hair. I like the way my hair looks down too, but I limit that and wear my hair up more often than not now.
Also stretching your washes might help. I wash once a week, and my hair is longer and healthier than it ever has been in my life.
A different washing method can help strengthen your hair. Do you just WC? You can try to CWC or CO.
Also the brands that you're using might help. I use a pretty generic sulfate free shampoo and VO5 moisturizing conditioner, which is cone free, and I CWC.
Hope this helps!

Echileruwen
April 6th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Prior to finding this forum, I was shampooing and conditioning every day. Now I CWC, skip washing a few times a week, and use Suave clarifying shampoo when the buildup of conditioner starts making my hair look stringy. I can't go longer than every other day between washes because my hair gets greasy. I don't know anything about silicones or if the shampoo or conditioner has silicones in it, it's just whatever's on sale at Sam's Club or Walgreen's. It's probably a good thing I found this forum.

lapushka
April 6th, 2015, 05:42 AM
It might be a good idea to get to know your ingredients a bit. Just a bit, enough to know that your conditioner contains silicones or not, because if it does, you might need to shampoo a little bit stronger (sulfates) once in a while. Otherwise your hair might get something called "build-up", and that's not a pleasant feeling (dry, greasy, waxy, crispy, all synonyms of build-up and there might be even more).

Panth
April 6th, 2015, 06:45 AM
It might be a good idea to get to know your ingredients a bit. Just a bit, enough to know that your conditioner contains silicones or not, because if it does, you might need to shampoo a little bit stronger (sulfates) once in a while. Otherwise your hair might get something called "build-up", and that's not a pleasant feeling (dry, greasy, waxy, crispy, all synonyms of build-up and there might be even more).

This.

Conversely, if you are not using ingredients with silicones in, you may want to try it. They provide slip and are anti-tangle and anti-static. To prevent build-up, ensure that you use them concurrently with a shampoo that will remove them (sulphate-containing or cocoamidopropyl betaine-containing) or chose silicones that won't build up.

Echileruwen
April 6th, 2015, 07:24 AM
It looks like I have a bit of research to do. Thank you for the help!

Panth
April 6th, 2015, 07:39 AM
This website (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/) is a good source of solid, well-researched hair science, particularly on ingredients.

truepeacenik
April 6th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Here's a link to her list of ingredients, since her homepage is all about a product that is struggling to be.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/search/label/Guide%20to%20Using%20Ingredients

Look at proteins as well. Both dietary and in product.
Hair has its own delicate balance between protein and moisture, and it changes through the year.

Echileruwen
April 6th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Thank you, that helps! :)

meteor
April 6th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Is there anything I can put on my hair to keep it from ripping and tearing? Maybe some conditioner or shampoo? I have shoulder length hairs mixed in with the longer ones, and it comes from pulling my hair out as a bunch when I put on a coat or a sweater. I can hear the individual hairs snapping in two. :( My diet is very good with lots of fresh veggies and all that, so I don't think the weak hair is from poor nutrition. This is what I was googling when I first found this forum, but did not find any answers.

I'd put hair up as soon as I get up to protect fragile hair, and if you have sweaters with grabby material or with really tight collars/necks, just put on your silk/satin sleep cap or scarf on your head before you put on a sweater, this helps the sweater slide over hair smoothly without pulling out individual canopy hairs. Don't underestimate mechanical damage that accumulates over time. If you save a few hairs every morning, a year later, you might notice a pleasant difference in the quality of your canopy hair. ;)

I'd make it a point to wear hair up as much as possible (claw clips usually work great at that length), sleeping on silk/satin with hair contained and conditioning hair quite a bit, maybe with some moisturizing treatments like the SMT or conditioner + oil.

Also, from your description of snapping hairs, I suspect that your hair's elasticity could be improved. The best ingredients for that are silicones and oils. If the hair is pretty moisturized, you can just use a couple drops of oil or silicone serum, but if it is super-dry, first apply some water-based conditioner with humectants (they help hold onto moisture) and then put oils/silicones on top - occlusives to prevent fast evaporation of water.
Look into silicone serums as leave-ins and incorporate oils into your routine: as pre-poo, added to conditioner/mask, in oil rinses, in LOC, or in gradually adding a drop or two of oil to your hair every time it feels a bit dry/brittle.

Relevant quick articles on this:
Managing Elasticity and Porosity in Hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html
Oil Pre-Shampoo or Pre-Wash (And how to make it work for your hair): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html

Best of luck! :D And happy growing! :flower:

Echileruwen
April 6th, 2015, 09:10 PM
OK, now I know it was definitely a good idea to come here. I'm making up a shopping list from this thread and debating about chancing a trip to Walmart tonight. Some really strange characters hang out there at night.

I don't have any claw clips, and need to get a silk or satin sleeping cap, and maybe a pillowcase. My pillowcase is cotton flannel. And you're no doubt right about the dry hair, since I live in Arizona. I'll needs shampoo and conditioner with silicones, too.

With all this good advice, I should be able to grow it out a good deal longer. You folks are great!

truepeacenik
April 6th, 2015, 09:50 PM
I love flannel, I really do. Shirts, sheets, pillow cases for years, even bras and dresses. I.love.flannel.
But my hair hates flannel pillowcases. Pop on a flat weave cotton, and invest is something slippery. Even covering the pillow with a silky scarf.

Before you go shopping, see what you have.
And if you can, get samples first. I found that almost any change made my hair feel great. For three washes.
Then the build up returns. Feh.

Also, don't try to make a zillion product changes at once. You want to monitor each change to see if it is worth it, or isolate a problem.

Echileruwen
April 7th, 2015, 12:04 AM
OK, I braved the wilds of night time Wally-World and came home with a claw clip, some bobby pins for putting my hair up in a bun, a satin pillow protector, and shampoo and conditioner with silicones--John Frieda shampoo that lists silicone and Suave natural infusion moisturizing conditioner that says no parabens, but lists dimethicone as the third ingredient. There were no sample sizes of anything that looked interesting. I was almost out of shampoo, so it was a good time to pick out a new one to try. The shampoo and conditioner that I had don't look like they contain silicones.

So the planned changes for now are wearing my hair up, using the satin pillow protector, and trying products with silicone. I'll try alternating between the old and new conditioner to see which one works better.

Panth
April 7th, 2015, 12:53 AM
The bobby pins are going to be ok for updos, depending on how you use them, but not the best. There's a bit difference between "an updo" and "a protective updo". The latter not only keeps the hair from tangling in the wind and from rubbing on your collar, etc. but also doesn't use any damaging pins/toys/tools/accessories or any damaging styling methods.

With the stuff that lists silicone/dimethicone, make sure you're using a shampoo that contains either sulphates (sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate, ammonium lauryl sulphate, ammonium laureth sulphate - aka SLS, SLES, ALS and ALES - are the main ones) or cocoamidopropyl betaine (a gentler, non-sulphate surfactant that is able to remove cones. If you don't have something that can wash it off, you'll get build up as dimethicone is not one of the 'cones that is designed not to build up.

I also would emphasise what truepeacnik said. Don't change everything at once (with the exception of cutting out obviously damaging things, e.g. bleach, dye, heat tools). Change one thing, try it for two or more weeks, assess the difference. Keep it or scrap it. Then change one more thing. If you change everything at once, when something doesn't work (and it will, sooner or later, if you're experimenting with new stuff) you'll have no idea which of the new things is the culprit.

Echileruwen
April 7th, 2015, 10:10 AM
The shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate as the second ingredient, right after water, so it should be able to take out the silicone. I've used it before and liked it, so it wouldn't count as a change. After breaking quite a few hairs yesterday I'm anxious to do something, but will take the changes slowly like you said. I'll try just the conditioner first, since on the back it says it has 10 times more moisturization than non-conditioning shampoos, even though it's a conditioner and not a shampoo. This snapping of hairs needs to stop, and coating them with silicones and doing something about the dry ends sounds like the most likely first choice. The other items can sit here until I'm ready to try them. I don't use bleach, dye, or heat tools. After being outside in heavy winds and blowing dust with my hair down yesterday I really feel like I need a hair wash this morning anyway.

Lyv
April 7th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I've never been one to wear my hair up all that much so when it's down and I'm putting something on that snags my hair I tuck it into the top of my shirt lol. Do you have a leave in? That can help when you're combing it out so your comb/brush glides through. I use Ends With Benefits by cocoa pink and a tangle teaser and I don't have much catching at all anymore.

Echileruwen
April 8th, 2015, 09:20 AM
No, I don't have a leave in. Yesterday was my first day of using that strong conditioner and the silicone shampoo and I didn't hear any hairs snap, so maybe I'm on the right track. :)

meteor
April 8th, 2015, 12:10 PM
No, I don't have a leave in. Yesterday was my first day of using that strong conditioner and the silicone shampoo and I didn't hear any hairs snap, so maybe I'm on the right track. :)

Yay, congratulations! :happydance: It definitely sounds like you are on the right track! :agree:
Silicones and oils really help with increasing hair's elasticity and reducing brittleness.

lapushka
April 8th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I would always check that the shampoo has sulfates but no silicones (otherwise you cannot use it as a clarifying shampoo due to the silicone(s)). A conditioner full of silicones is fine (the heavier the better, the longer your hair gets - you'll know why).

Echileruwen
April 9th, 2015, 01:21 AM
Day two without hearing a hair snap! :D

The shampoo does have silicone, but I also have a bottle of Suave daily clarifying shampoo that doesn't, so maybe using that every 2-3 washes will help prevent buildup.

Echileruwen
April 9th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Ick. More snapped hairs this morning. The battle is not over. :-(

I just did a second wash with the same shampoo and conditioner. Maybe I can build up enough silicones to stop this, and then just keep enough of them in my hair at all times to prevent snapping, but not enough to get it bogged down with residue.

Lyv
April 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Maybe try an oil? I use a couple of drops of baby oil sometimes either between shampoo and conditioner (check out the rinse out oil link in Lapushka's sig) or while it's damp, I'm not sure if it'll help but it might be worth a try.

Echileruwen
April 10th, 2015, 10:31 AM
The baby oil is in. It took 4 applications of baby oil before I even noticed a slight difference because it just soaked right in. A major oil treatment is on the agenda for this weekend.

meteor
April 10th, 2015, 07:46 PM
The baby oil is in. It took 4 applications of baby oil before I even noticed a slight difference because it just soaked right in. A major oil treatment is on the agenda for this weekend.

^ I bet the oiling will help! :thumbsup: With brittleness issues, I'd be oiling pretty regularly. :agree:

Let us know how it goes, Echileruwen! ;)

Echileruwen
April 11th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I slathered a bunch of Argan oil on it this morning, then put it all up into a cap and let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing out the excess. My head still smells of Argan oil, :( but if this helps it'll be worth it.