PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts On My Hair Color

Ellethwyn
April 5th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Hi there! :o

None of my hair is dyed.
Since moving to the Pacific Northwest where my hair doesn't see as much sunshine as it did in California, my new growth is not lightening up as quick as it has in the past. My question is... Does my hair color look bad like this? Should I get it lightened at a salon with dye? I'm torn...a part of me wants to and the other part says, " No way!"

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS!

gwenalyn
April 5th, 2015, 09:26 PM
It's beautiful! Natural ombre :)

cherrybird
April 5th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Your hair is gorgeous, don't change a thing. :twocents:

ravenheather
April 5th, 2015, 09:35 PM
It's pretty. No dye needed.

FallingDarkness
April 5th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I would kill for that ombre wow your hair is STUNNING. Can we trade? :P
Don't change a thing just let it grow! <3

Ellethwyn
April 5th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Thank you so much ladies!! I definitely needed some reassurance, I truly appreciate it!:blossom:

Larki
April 5th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Haha Ellethwyn, I knew what my answer was going to be before I even opened the thread. ;) Your hair is gorgeous! I understand the angst over the weird ombre effect, it bothers me on my hair as well, but I'm sure your newer growth will lighten up to match the rest in time! i toyed with Sun-In last year and it did absolutely nothing. :p I've decided to just leave it and let my hair do what it will.

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Look like some really expensive golden silk to me! Very lovely :)

Chocowalnut
April 5th, 2015, 11:41 PM
It's beautiful don't dye it :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 6th, 2015, 01:24 AM
Why must hair all be one colour anyway? Your hair is beautiful and unique as well - just the way it is. There's no way I would change it! Undyed hair is so gorgeous!

StellaKatherine
April 6th, 2015, 01:29 AM
My hair does same thing. My ends are getting lighter and lighter after each summer and there is DRAMATIC colour difference between my roots and my ends :) It is normal, thought I it does make me want to make some highlights sometimes ;)

Anyway, I think your hair looks really beautiful, and even the darker shade is something many of us are only dreaming about !

diddiedaisy
April 6th, 2015, 02:26 AM
I used to be a natural blonde and it was always darker at the roots and underside. When I went through a perm stage everyone thought I had highlights in as the curls showed my underside as it coiled. It always eventually got lighter as it grew. That's just the way blonde hair is.

Your hair is stunning, I would not touch it if I was you.

Begemot
April 6th, 2015, 03:29 AM
The color difference makes your hair look vivid and lively. It's your unique natural look :) But if it bothers you and you honestly like the more uniform bleach blonde look better then by all means go for it. To me it's just the issue of fixing something that ain't broken :D

emmita
April 6th, 2015, 03:47 AM
I used to dye my hair A LOT when I was younger, and as a former "dyeing addict" I would highly recommend you not to. First of all, you can't imagine the damage the dyeing will cause. And second, your hair is absolutely stunning!! Don't change a thing :D

Mimha
April 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Hi there! :o

None of my hair is dyed.
Since moving to the Pacific Northwest where my hair doesn't see as much sunshine as it did in California, my new growth is not lightening up as quick as it has in the past. My question is... Does my hair color look bad like this? Should I get it lightened at a salon with dye? I'm torn...a part of me wants to and the other part says, " No way!"

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j229/C-T-F_2006/IMG_0026_zpsxibjevey.jpg

Ellethwyn... how may I say... we are all hair lovers in here, and no one will ever say that you "should" change something to your natural hair to look "better". We can only try to help you make up your mind to decide what YOU want to do, by sharing our own point of view and preferences. Personally, I find your blondness absolutely beautiful, healthy and natural looking, all what I appreciate in hair. And if I were at your place, longing for a little more "sunny enhancement", I would go for herbal rinses and similar soft stuff, because I would not like to damage my hair. But, hey, it's only my own point of view ! To me, no natural hair color can ever look bad. If you go to the Blonette Pride thread, for example, you will see the most amazing shades of darker blond, showing how natural color is so beautiful and personal, and always incredibly rich in nuances.

Many people could kill to have your blondness, believe me ! :wink:

DreamSheep
April 6th, 2015, 07:26 AM
It's beautiful! :) And you might find it will lighten up in the Summer.

My hair is no where near as blonde, but since moving to the UK I do appear to have "dark roots", but they do bleach eventually :)

Ellethwyn
April 6th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I used to dye my hair A LOT when I was younger, and as a former "dyeing addict" I would highly recommend you not to. First of all, you can't imagine the damage the dyeing will cause. And second, your hair is absolutely stunning!! Don't change a thing :D

Thank you:) You are so right about the damage dye causes, and that is what stops me from adding some highlights to the top of my head! But, sometimes I think..." Oh, just a couple shouldn't be too bad." Anyway, thanks again!

Monsoonu
April 6th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Beautiful, My hair is the same (lighter at the ends) but is brown!

Ellethwyn
April 6th, 2015, 10:58 AM
It's beautiful! :) And you might find it will lighten up in the Summer.

My hair is no where near as blonde, but since moving to the UK I do appear to have "dark roots", but they do bleach eventually :)

Thank you! I think you are right, over time they will lighten up. I do wonder if my color is changing as I age, kind of like how my color darkened when I was pregnant.

Ellethwyn
April 6th, 2015, 11:04 AM
double post.

Ellethwyn
April 6th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Why must hair all be one colour anyway? Your hair is beautiful and unique as well - just the way it is. There's no way I would change it! Undyed hair is so gorgeous!

Ellethwyn... how may I say... we are all hair lovers in here, and no one will ever say that you "should" change something to your natural hair to look "better". We can only try to help you make up your mind to decide what YOU want to do, by sharing our own point of view and preferences. Personally, I find your blondness absolutely beautiful, healthy and natural looking, all what I appreciate in hair. And if I were at your place, longing for a little more "sunny enhancement", I would go for herbal rinses and similar soft stuff, because I would not like to damage my hair. But, hey, it's only my own point of view ! To me, no natural hair color can ever look bad. If you go to the Blonette Pride thread, for example, you will see the most amazing shades of darker blond, showing how natural color is so beautiful and personal, and always incredibly rich in nuances.

Many people could kill to have your blondness, believe me ! :wink:

Thank you! You are both totally right! The women in my life...who I know irl, all have dyed hair, so I get discouraged and think maybe I should do something with mine. Sometimes I think mine looks so dramatic, but then, like now looking at the pics I posted I feel silly for even posting this topic.

Ellethwyn
April 6th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Thank you, everyone. I truly appreciate all the compliments and thoughts.

Mimha
April 6th, 2015, 11:48 AM
(...) The women in my life...who I know irl, all have dyed hair, so I get discouraged and think maybe I should do something with mine. (...)

Yes : most women have more or less dyed hair nowdays. So many that they hardly figure out that one can remain without cut/perm/dye. Imagine what a huuuuge market all these women represent ! Millions and millions of dollars. That's why fashion is there : to make us believe that our natural appearance is inappropriate to our time. And whatever we do, fashion is changing to oblige us to follow up and "correct" something else, again and again. It's an endless job !...

By remaining "natural", I get both benefits of having genuine unique healthy hair AND my little personal rebellion against this "faking business" :wigtongue: (you can replace the letter "a" by another one...)

sarah.j.xx
April 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I think your hair is a pretty color; it has a nice ombre effect. :o

Komao
April 6th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I love your color. Your hair is so pretty just the way it is. :o

Agnieszka
April 6th, 2015, 12:32 PM
stunning, don't change a thing.

meteor
April 6th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Stunning hair color! :thudpile: Honestly, it's so rare to see natural, completely "un-enhanced" blonde color these days, it's like seeing a unicorn... :D
I'd keep the sun-lightened bits as a reminder of California sunshine. ;) Keep rocking your gorgeous mane! :thumbsup:

Orange Queen
April 6th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Beautiful hair!
The colour will even out in the summer, but looks gorgeous as it is :)

lapushka
April 6th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Just leave it like it is. It's perfectly normal these color variations in your hair. Only dyed hair is totally uniform (and quite frankly IMMHO boring).

DizzyGinger
April 6th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Yes, like the others said, it looks gorgeous as it is! Such a pretty honey blonde

Zesty
April 6th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Beautiful! Mine gets lighter (and redder) on the ends the longer it gets, but I've always liked it. I think it gives hair more character. :)

OUKess
April 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM
It is beautiful!! Don't see a need to color!

MINAKO
April 6th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I like your color, the darker and cooler blonde looks very pretty too!

Your concern reminds me of a thread i once read on the german board. A girls was in pretty much the same situationas you are now and decided to by one of the at home face tanners only to use on her hair. It worked pretty well for her as she said and its not so difficult to imagine. I would just make sure to keep all my skin covered.
Absolute NO to the salon and dye, the damage will not be worth it, your hair looks like its on the finer side and will probably reward you with dryness and tangles. I dont really see a reason to risk anything like that.

Atira
April 6th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Please don't dye it!!!

DweamGoiL
April 6th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I LOVE your natural hair. It's beautiful :agree:

endlessly
April 6th, 2015, 08:34 PM
As a person who has repeatedly been lured by the hair dye demon, don't do it. Your natural color is gorgeous! If you absolutely feel that you need to lighten the darker roots, try lemon juice or even honey - both will naturally help to lighten your hair without the damaging effects of a chemical dye. Otherwise, leave it be because like most have said, it truly is gorgeous especially considering it's your natural hair color.

elizk
April 6th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Oh noooooooooooooooooooo.

Don't dye it. The chemicals will fry your hair. It might make the color more uniform but it will be the texture of straw.

It may be off-putting to you and not what you are used to but it looks absolutely gorgeous. That rich, darker blonde on top is fantastic. "Ladies Who Lunch" pay a lot of money and spend hours in the salon every month to get that color. When my hair started going grey I flipped out and dyed it. Big mistake. It was a huge hassle and then it took years - literally YEARS - to completely grow out. Total pain in the buttocks. I cannot advise you strongly enough - do not dye your hair.

Rant over. ;-)

Ingrid
April 6th, 2015, 11:22 PM
It looks fine to me; natural healthy hair trumps dye-damaged hair any day.

Rosetta
April 7th, 2015, 02:48 AM
Why must hair all be one colour anyway?
Yeah, isn't natural hair always darker at the roots and lighter at the lengths and ends?

I actually prefer the slightly darker colour of your roots to the lighter one in the ends, Ellethwyn :flower:

Yes : most women have more or less dyed hair nowdays. So many that they hardly figure out that one can remain without cut/perm/dye. Imagine what a huuuuge market all these women represent ! Millions and millions of dollars. That's why fashion is there : to make us believe that our natural appearance is inappropriate to our time. And whatever we do, fashion is changing to oblige us to follow up and "correct" something else, again and again. It's an endless job !...

By remaining "natural", I get both benefits of having genuine unique healthy hair AND my little personal rebellion against this "faking business" :wigtongue: (you can replace the letter "a" by another one...)
So true! And the last sentence (the "personal rebellion") is a real inspiration for me to grow my natural colour (having had dyed hair for most of my life)! ;)

MINAKO
April 7th, 2015, 04:49 AM
I guess its a matter of preference, but even with the roots lighter her hair would not be all one color, the underlayers are still left darker and the canopy lightens more intense due to the sun. The length still has some variety of color and. its so difficult to make that look convincing with bleach and dye, let alone touch ups. I have to deal with that on my mom, but also because she is grey. Once you start doing that you have to keep going, like every six or eight weeks.

Just to add my two cents, i totally prefer 100% even color on darker hair, like below level 5, because it looks healthier without fading imo. But on,lighter hair it often looks very doll like, always reminds me of christina aguilera, nobody ever seen her natural color i suppose, lol.

Swan Maiden
April 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM
As a natural blonde myself and has been through the outside pressures of keeping my hair light, I say embrace the beautiful nuances of your hair. Once I adopted this motto myself, I found I loved the variations of my natural haircolor. If you ever feel the need to color your hair lighter, evaluate why. For me, it was because I was manipulated by the other blondes in my family that if my hair was not my childhood light blonde, then it was not blonde. Your hair is beautiful, dont mess with something that isnt broken.

ETA: I apologize for the hijack, this topic has been a theme throughout my life and I want to encourage not only blondes, but all hair types to be comfortable with what they have been genetically gifted and not be boxed into the coffin that is considered to be proper by society.

texangrrl
April 7th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Your hair is simply stunning - I love the color!! :flowers: I haven't read through this entire thread, but another poster made mention of using some herbal rinses and the like. If you're absolutely unhappy with the color, I would recommend this first because hair dye is so damaging. And personally, I don't think the ombre effect looks bad at all - it's beautiful!!

gwenalyn
April 7th, 2015, 01:54 PM
As a person who has repeatedly been lured by the hair dye demon, don't do it. Your natural color is gorgeous! If you absolutely feel that you need to lighten the darker roots, try lemon juice or even honey - both will naturally help to lighten your hair without the damaging effects of a chemical dye. Otherwise, leave it be because like most have said, it truly is gorgeous especially considering it's your natural hair color.

That's not true--lemon juice and honey do damage your hair, just like bleach. Now, I'm not the kind of person who thinks you should never ever damage your hair ever, but you should always have the correct information! Just because lemon juice and honey are "natural" doesn't mean they are better.

Ellethwyn
April 7th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Thank you ladies!!!

Islandgrrl
April 7th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I personally wouldn't change a thing. Your hair looks lovely as it is.

I also moved to the PNW from perpetually sunny southern California. I serioiusly thought my hair was strawberry blonde until I had lived here a few months and the regrowth became very (darkly) apparent. I have medium auburn hair, as it turns out. My solution (my hair was mid-thigh length at the time) was to have everything dyed to match my roots because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life having to color my hair. It looked fantastic, but wow, what a shock to suddenly have dark-ish hair!

M-L-E
April 7th, 2015, 03:44 PM
BEAUTIFUL hair!! Don't change it! So many people are opting for ombre over traditional highlights/dye because it is so much more natural looking and easier to maintain... It is really lovely :o