PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance hair help-semi short hair

Tyrinaniel
October 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
Okay, I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting as soon as I joined. However, I felt after reading this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8154) that you might be able to help me too.

To start off, I'm half asian, therefore my hair is very, very straight. I donate my hair pretty much once a year, so my hair does grow very long, very fast. By Feb or March I'm thinking my hair will be nearly waist length again. Currently my hair barely touches my shoulders. I have very thick hair, which I believe would be considered ii to everyone. I don't know much about hair to be honest. I hope you all can forgive my ignorance :p

My dilemma is that with my hair length, I have no idea how to fix my hair. I was thinking of just leaving it down, but that would look rather silly! I thought of braiding it, but since it was slightly layered, I'm not sure it's long enough to french braid. I have a Hairigomy (sp?) piece that would work, but it pulls my forhead with the current length. I have no snoods, and while I've read about the "sock bun" I'm not sure it works for me. I don't have a hat either. I make jewelry, so I could possibly make a hair piece, but I've never done that before. I can research, though. :)

Here are 2 photos, one of the costume (no chemise, just a random shirt), and one of my current hair length.

http://a654.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_41dc25d4142e0e16d839b203e015865d.jpg

I hope I don't sound like a "noob" or anything. I may actually enjoy reading through this community. I never knew there was one for long hair! People have made a big deal about my hair in the past, but I've never thought it was something so intriguing. Ever since I started donating my hair, I realized that if my hair is so "great" I may as well share it with others! I'm a total empath, so when I think about others, especially children with no hair due to cancer or something else, it makes me want to do something. I don't make a huge deal out of my donating. Attention really does bother me....

Thanks ahead of time for your time and help!

Blessings,
~Tyrinaniel

HairColoredHair
October 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
You could try a snood (you'd have to buy or make one, I suppose) or Heidi Braids, though would look nice. Down's pretty common, really, especially with a hat or bonnet or somesuch if you want to buy one. If you're feeling adventurous you could try fancy french braiding (I'd try but I'd braid my fingers to my head... :lol: )

Oh... and you may want to research who you're donating to...

Gumball
October 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
If you wanted to braid it it's definitely long enough for two if not one french braid. You could also try a flipped ponytail like you get when you use a Topsy Tail. There's also the chance of having a half-up with a braid on each side coming back and being tied together.

About the guy thing I'm actually in the boat where I have to find how to do my hair for the Ren Faire this weekend, too. Not all guys escape the issue!

Elenna
October 2nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
How you want to wear your hair? Half ups and/or braids are kind of nice with Renaissance wear.

sneakybea
October 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Wow! Can I just say I love your costume? It really compliments your coloring, too!
If you are going to a Ren Faire or other outdoor activity, I'd suggest a french braid or the flip through ponytail Gumball suggests, if only because in my experience faires can be a bit dusty. Also if you're wandering around all day and the "privies" are your only accessible restrooms, tangling could be a big issue---though your hair is sleek enough it might not be a problem.
If you are going to a faire, they often have professional braiders attending; they're expensive, but they can do remarkable things with even short-ish hair.

Katze
October 2nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
You're pretty, and have gorgeous hair!

And welcome to LHC!

Hairdo? It depends on how authentic you want to be. In the middle ages and renaissance, married women (and depending on time/place all women who had reached puberty) covered their hair. A simple linen hairscarf looks very nice on a lot of people. Alternatively, braids pinned up give a more festive appearance. You could start the braids above your ears, bring them together and pin them along the back part of your head.

There's also something called "Hair Taping" (http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html)

which I have not tried yet, but would be a SUPER authentic look. Oh, here's a video, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

The other thing is that if you are donating your hair, you might want to research the organization you are donating it to. Many of these organizations don't actually end up giving the hair to sick kids or whatever, and have been widely criticized.

ravenreed
October 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Hello there! I did a lot of Ren Faires, way back when, and I usually wore a snood. (I think my hair was BSL at that point.) I still have my favorite one, in fact. <3 It is cream crochet thread done in a Solomon's Knot with cobalt blue seed beads.

You can sort of see it in these two images from my wedding. I am wearing my flower wreath over it. For other events, I wore a straw hat or something like that over my snood. Sorry, we had this event late in the day, and by this time, my hair was just not cooperative!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/ravenreed/wedding2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/ravenreed/wedding1.jpg

Elphie
October 2nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
That must have been a beautiful wedding, ravenreed.

Isilme
October 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM
You could try to make a french braid around your head. I don't know how well your hair holds curls but there are sponge rollers you could try some of them and do a messy curly updo with some sort of nice hairband. You might also want to do a search here on the boards about LOL (short for locks of love)

Tapioca
October 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
You could also go for a muffin cap (http://www.renstore.com/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=CHI7001&eq=&MatrixType=1) to cover it all.

Tyrinaniel
October 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, thanks to everyone for the great responses! I'm definitely looking into all the links, too.

After going through all the posts, here are my responses. In short, I've thought of braiding, making my own headdress, and/or a headband. I also have a curly faux hair piece i may use along with some of this. I wish I had my bun cover, still. I'm tight on money, so I can't really afford those nice accessories.

HairColoredHair:

I feel bad for not mentioning two major things ahead of time. First, I'm currently job hunting, so right now money is a bit tight. I would have bought a snood when I bought my costume (www.FaireFinery.com if you want to look. Amazing woman.), but the snoods are handmade, therefore about $90 per snood. I really wanted one, lol. I would make one, but I'm not that talented in crocheting.

Oh, and I donate to Locks of Love. One Christian ministry I live near has supported them before, and I've went to the site myself. I really did do my homework. I'm sorry for not mentioning that before. My bad!

Gumball:

You know, I wasn't sure if I could actually french braid it yet or not. Last time I tried that, my hair was actually waist length, and strangely enough it was easier then than now. I think I could get a better handle on my hair then, haha. I like the half-braid and topys tail ideas. I've done both before, and they seem great for all occasions.

Elenna:

I'm actually open to anything, though I believe up yet not too high on my head will work best. I'm thinking of actually creating a headdress for myself. I'm trying to pick out the colors in the trim on the fabric so that I have at least 2 colors to work with. So far I have the blue-based red, a brighter red, white, and gold that could work. I get to play. :)

Sneakybea:

I'm glad you like my costume :D I bought it from www.FaireFinery.com if you want to see some others. She makes wonderful garb!! And she's such a sweet lady too.

I've been looking up some tips for faires like this, and I realized there's quite a lot of walking! I'm hoping one company calls me back so that I'll be able to get a job and afford buying some better boots :P While my hair is rather sleek, it does tangle when the air's too dry, so I'd prefer having it up. I'm a bit worried about the "privies" with that full skirt, though!

Katze:

Well, I do want to be authentic enough, yet I can't afford any hats. My bf's aunt may have some hair scarves that could help. At the same time, I'm thinking of making my own headdress too.

The hair taping I've actually seen done with a hemp-like cord and needle. They did a "modern" version of hair taping, which rocked. I loved the look. I'd love to try it myself, but I'll have to look in my "stash of stuff" and see what I have. It sounds fun though!

Even though I mentioned earlier, I donate to Locks of Love. So far everyone's told me they're great when I've mentioned them. Fantastic Sam's supports donating to Locks of Love, and when I want to donate, I let them cut it.

Ravenreed:

I love your wedding images! The flower wreath is just lovely. I'm a sucker for hair wreaths for people. I wish I could afford a snood right now, but since I'm a bit tight on money, I can't afford the ones I've seen that are just lovely. Your snood sounds wonderful, though.

Isilme:

I actually donate to Locks of Love! I'm pleased to know that I'm doing the right thing. :)

I do have a good black headband, even though it has sequins, but they're barely seen. So far the idea of braiding sounds nice. I've thought about braiding my hair into a crown, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I've always loved that style.

Tapioca:

I've thought of that too, but it's hard for me to decide on a good muffin cap! Plus I'm tight on money right now. I hate it :( lol.

Thank you all for your help! Since I'm pretty much considering making a headdress, I'll post a photo when it's ready, both with and without wearing it.

Blessings,
~Ty

Oskimosa
October 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hello there! I did a lot of Ren Faires, way back when, and I usually wore a snood. (I think my hair was BSL at that point.) I still have my favorite one, in fact. <3 It is cream crochet thread done in a Solomon's Knot with cobalt blue seed beads.

You can sort of see it in these two images from my wedding. I am wearing my flower wreath over it. For other events, I wore a straw hat or something like that over my snood. Sorry, we had this event late in the day, and by this time, my hair was just not cooperative!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/ravenreed/wedding2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/ravenreed/wedding1.jpg

Ohhh, how dreamy, I bet that was one of the most beautiful weddings ever :). Yay for ultimate dream weddings and doing just what you want instead of the status quo. (I think people are catching on to it, especially people here in the LHC)

Magdalene
October 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Tyrinaniel,

Welcome to the boards! I hope you don't feel attacked by all the members warning you away from Locks of Love (they do have a bad rep around here, but I know that wasn't what you asked in the first place!)

Do you have an import store around you? They sometimes have those cheap crocheted snoods which you could dress up with beads or ribbons if you wanted to. You could also make yourself a circlet. When I was doing renfest I either did two dutch braids with the circlet or just braided the front with ribbons and let the rest hang down in back. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=442&pictureid=22352) is a picture from my album that kinda shows what I mean.

Slug Yoga
October 2nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
You have very pretty hair, and your costume looks great. Your hair looks way longer than "barely touching the shoulders" to me! I like the idea of hair taping, since it sounds period, definitely doable, and I imagine getting ribbon and a yarn needle or something wouldn't be too expensive.

Tyrinaniel
October 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Tyrinaniel,

Welcome to the boards! I hope you don't feel attacked by all the members warning you away from Locks of Love (they do have a bad rep around here, but I know that wasn't what you asked in the first place!)

Do you have an import store around you? They sometimes have those cheap crocheted snoods which you could dress up with beads or ribbons if you wanted to. You could also make yourself a circlet. When I was doing renfest I either did two dutch braids with the circlet or just braided the front with ribbons and let the rest hang down in back. Here is a picture from my album that kinda shows what I mean.

Hi Magdalene! Thanks for your suggestions! I don't know of an import store around here, but I have made a headdress/circlet for myself. I'll post the image at the end. By-the-way, what is it about Locks of Love that gives it such a bad rep around here? I'd like to know so that I can donate to a new place if I should. So far, locally I haven't heard of them being bad in my local area. They're actually highly supported. And from what I've read in one review, they haven't done anything wrong. Their purposes are mainly for children who cannot grow hair as a permanent condition. I've actually looked up another review (http://ezinearticles.com/?Locks-Of-Love-A-Beautiful-Concept-With-A-Pinch-Of-Controversy&id=445833) just to be safe, and so far I've seen only good. In the end, I could always sell my hair to a doll company, lol.

You have very pretty hair, and your costume looks great. Your hair looks way longer than "barely touching the shoulders" to me! I like the idea of hair taping, since it sounds period, definitely doable, and I imagine getting ribbon and a yarn needle or something wouldn't be too expensive.

Hi Yoga!

The first picture I had shown is of me when my hair was actually waist length, but layered. I'm happy you like my costume! The woman does such a lovely job! I'm not quite sure if I'm going to do hair taping yet. I want to look around for ideas first. I do want to try braiding my hair into a crown, just to see if I can do it! My only fear is that my hair won't cooperate, and have places sticking out. The only thing I'll have to do is see if I can buy a yarn needle.

Oh and for everyone in general, here's a couple photos of what I've made jewelry wise for the outfit. I'll be starting on earrings soon. I'm hoping I can make them as period as possible. Considering the styoles that many have used to make earrings, I doubt I'll have a problem.

http://fc62.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/277/9/d/9d336a67145e95640f43ca5e22d13132.jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/277/d/1/d1f72afb2acedbb7bfd55e13d43a3fb0.jpg

http://fc31.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/277/2/0/20a37814fe1003bb7b65b479d963981c.jpg

The images are from what I posted on my deviant art (http://melancholic-symphony.deviantart.com) gallery. I may end up posting stock from when I go to the faire :) Anyway that's the basic idea I have for the hair so far. I just used the "harigomy" thing for the heart-shaped bun. It's nothing great, but when I have a better idea for it, I'll post a "hind" view of the hair. Both pieces are done by hand from me :P I wanted to try the "twisting" method with the wire. I draped chains with chains I had no other use for, which I think really set them off. And yes, that's my black headband. I realised after looking at other costumes that the headpieces over any snood were basically fancy headbands with beads at times. If you wear it further back, it's a perfect renaissance headpiece. I can't remember who mentioned the headband before, but thank you! I also have a faux pearl berret above my bun, but I didn't take a photo of that.

Molster
October 7th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Looking lovely, and the hair works well! Your jewellery is very 'high class' - are you planning to wear a gentry outfit with it, or make your existing one a bit more fancy?

I don't know how 'authentic' you are expected to be at the events you ware planning to attend, and I dare say at Renn Faires it doesn't really matter, but you might want to consider straight-lacing your bodice. Currently you are cross-laced, and in the past this was considered one of the 'badges' of a prostitute - of course, some people do like to portray this role as part of their character, so forgive me if it is what you had in mind. If it is not your intention, please don't think I am trying to be be offensive, but in public situations less friendly people 'in the know' might make snide comments about it.

angelthadiva
October 7th, 2008, 07:32 AM
You are gorgeous, welcome to the board! Your hair is lovely and I'm jealous of your costume! I will be attending my first Renfaire this weekend and I want your dress! :wail:

I love your jewelry too, you are quite talented!!! I was thinking of a part down the middle of your hair and roll the sides back kind of like this (http://www.longlocks.com/edwardian.gif). If you aren't going to wear the head piece, I'd add some flowers to the hair style, but if you are wearing the head piece (I would) don't add the flowers...It might be too much.

To answer your ??? about LoL (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11150&highlight=donating+hair) We tend to believe that the public is not fully aware of what LoL does and that they actually charge (sliding scale) for the hair pieces. The donated hair does not go to kids with cancer; rather kids suffering from alopecia, and a lot of the hair that is donated is deemed "unuseable" and therefore sold (for profit) or discarded. Most stylists/salons aren't aware of who actually benefits from LoL either. I guess it goes back to the public needing to educate themselves.

A newer project; supported the American Cancer Society who partnered w/Pantene (http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/wigshelpingwomen.jsp) actually makes wigs for women who have Cancer, and these wigs are free.

It's not up to me to tell you what to do w/your hair...Let your own conscious guide you. There is nothing wrong with donating if that is what your heart tells you to do, but people don’t die from alopecia they do die from cancer.

Again, welcome to LHC! :flowers:

Tyrinaniel
October 7th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Looking lovely, and the hair works well! Your jewellery is very 'high class' - are you planning to wear a gentry outfit with it, or make your existing one a bit more fancy?

I don't know how 'authentic' you are expected to be at the events you ware planning to attend, and I dare say at Renn Faires it doesn't really matter, but you might want to consider straight-lacing your bodice. Currently you are cross-laced, and in the past this was considered one of the 'badges' of a prostitute - of course, some people do like to portray this role as part of their character, so forgive me if it is what you had in mind. If it is not your intention, please don't think I am trying to be be offensive, but in public situations less friendly people 'in the know' might make snide comments about it.

You know what? A friend of mine told me the same thing, but she wasn't sure, and I tried looking it up, but didn't see anywhere that it said that. But I'm glad you told me! She told me that the lacing going up was considered that, and I'll be honest, this time was an accident. I typically lace it down, thoough with how the garb was shown in the pictures for order, it wasn't laced completely closed. The dress is supposed to be a cavalier style, so I do want my dress style to be a cross between high and middle class. While I want to keep it mostly period, I want to add a bit of flare to it. I think my boyfriend would take someone down if they made any snide comments! But I'm glad you clarified this for me. I couldn't find that info anywhere else.

You are gorgeous, welcome to the board! Your hair is lovely and I'm jealous of your costume! I will be attending my first Renfaire this weekend and I want your dress!

I love your jewelry too, you are quite talented!!! I was thinking of a part down the middle of your hair and roll the sides back kind of like this. If you aren't going to wear the head piece, I'd add some flowers to the hair style, but if you are wearing the head piece (I would) don't add the flowers...It might be too much.

To answer your ??? about LoL We tend to believe that the public is not fully aware of what LoL does and that they actually charge (sliding scale) for the hair pieces. The donated hair does not go to kids with cancer; rather kids suffering from alopecia, and a lot of the hair that is donated is deemed "unuseable" and therefore sold (for profit) or discarded. Most stylists/salons aren't aware of who actually benefits from LoL either. I guess it goes back to the public needing to educate themselves.

A newer project; supported the American Cancer Society who partnered w/Pantene actually makes wigs for women who have Cancer, and these wigs are free.

It's not up to me to tell you what to do w/your hair...Let your own conscious guide you. There is nothing wrong with donating if that is what your heart tells you to do, but people don’t die from alopecia they do die from cancer.

Again, welcome to LHC!

Thank you for the compliments! I realized that the jewelry is a bit more high class, but honestly, I think I like the idea of mixing middle and high. Considering the garb was titled "cavalier/pirate lady", I felt that I could add some high class jewelry to it. Who said cavaliers didn't have some high class stuff, right? :P And any pirate would be forced to wear their treasure. If not, someone would steal it. So this is my treasure ;) Even if most of it isn't even real jewels, minus the bluish-white Opalite. Honestly that's the only semi-precious in the whole thing!

I'm glad you told me more about LoL. You all seem to know more about it than I was able to find out. Whenever I grow my hair out, I think I'll choose them instead. I bet most of my hair is getting sold than donated. I'd sooner know my hair isn't being sold! Especially if I'm not getting any profit.

Next time you go to a RenFaire, check some of these (http://fairefinery.com/sets.htm) out. The cheapest, like I bought, is $250, but they're all completely hand made. She can create something for you custom fit also. I bought a set that happened to be my measurements. If I buy anything again, I may buy just a skirt to help mix up what I do have. I believe it's worth saving up for! And her court gowns are gowns to drool over! I do, too. Often :P

angelthadiva
October 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I checked out that link...Oh my, you are quite the enabler!! I think you have found your home! :flower:

Periwinkle
October 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I have a snood that I found in a charity shop. You could try looking round for something like that: the shop was just selling off loads of hair stuff. Alternatively, there's actually quite a few in high street stores now.

Briefly off-topic: I believe that one of the most common criticisms here of LOL is that so little of their hair actually is used for wigs for sick children. Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=547&) the LOL maths (note that this isn't official or anything; just a member working stuff out with numbers that LOL provided). 6th post down.

taliarose
October 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
First off love the dress. Secondly what I do for faire is to leave my hair down and have a braid using only hair from the top of my head. Since I've never gone as a "Lady" only a "Wench" this has worked fine for me. Since you seem to be going the more respectable route I'd go for hair up or at least fully confined by braids or such. The seond set of pics looks really cool for the whole look! :toast:

Tyrinaniel
October 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Yes, I'd sooner go the more respectable route. ;) Since I'm not single, I'm not sure I want to seem rather "promiscuous." I would have bought a court gown, however that would be $500-700 because of the tedious work Nicki does with her gowns. And they're well worth it! I'll have to save up if I want a more courtly look next year. Not all wenches are necessarily "out there" though. At least, in books I've read, wenches were nearly always given to the stereotype, which hurt the more innocent type. Such is life! By July of 09 my hair should be at the proper length. *Faints*

Slug Yoga
October 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Those dresses are so stunning! Holy crap. *drool* Makes me want to learn to sew.

Also, the jewelry you made is really beautiful.

I'm curious, how does straight-lacing differ from cross-lacing?

hobbitgirl
October 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
your hair is lovely and given it's relative straightness you might get yourself a chainmail head dress. I've always wanted one but with the curls they just don't work for me. but I bet you woul look just lovely.

Kirin
October 7th, 2008, 11:45 AM
With the bodice lacing, people may try to get a little picky about it but the fact is, laced up bodices were NOT part of the renaissance wardrobe. Bodices and corsets like we see laced up the front are a romantisized version of the real thing. Most bodices in that period laced up the sides or the back. Back then any laces showing would be akin to now to your panties showing. Lace up bodices and corsets are Victorian, not Renaissance.

However, for the modern take, keep in mind, "Good girls lace down".

Unfortunately, I am STILL dealing with my hair issues for Renaissance faires. Shoulder to APL can be very difficult getting a classic period look, and with my thin fine hair my braids are thinner than my pinky finger..... so not attractive.

easternsunrise
October 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I like the french braid suggestions. Your hair appears long enough to do 1 or 2 braids. Very pretty dress BTW!:)

Beldaran
October 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
With the bodice lacing, people may try to get a little picky about it but the fact is, laced up bodices were NOT part of the renaissance wardrobe. Bodices and corsets like we see laced up the front are a romantisized version of the real thing. Most bodices in that period laced up the sides or the back. Back then any laces showing would be akin to now to your panties showing. Lace up bodices and corsets are Victorian, not Renaissance.

However, for the modern take, keep in mind, "Good girls lace down".
So, my corset laces in the back, but it laces to the middle (top down halfway, and bottom up halfway) what does that say about me? :eyebrows:

longhairedfairy
October 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I love your costume! You look lovely:)

I like these sites:
http://www.renstore.com
http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/

Call me goofy, but I don't understand what is meant by "straight-lacing."

longhairedfairy
October 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Here are some more:
http://www.by-the-sword.com/ (I think one of my costumes may have come from here, but I don't remember for certain)

I haven't bought anything from these stores or checked them out completely. Some are more fantasy stuff than historical and some are insanely expensive, but they're fun to look at:)
http://www.fashionsintime.com/ (the prices seem pretty reasonable)
http://www.tobeapirate.com/
http://www.pearsonsrenaissanceshoppe.com/
http://www.realmcollections.com/
http://herbalmusings.com/womens_renaissance_clothing.htm
http://www.fantasycostume.net/renaissance/
http://majesticvelvets.com/
http://www.verymerryseamstress.com/
http://www.yosa.com (very expensive, but neat)
http://www.tolkientown.com/

suicides_eve
October 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
here is a site on straight lacing
it is the bottom paragraph aka ladder lacing.
i believe this is what was being referred too

it shows a picture on how to do it
http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/lacing/lacing.html

longhairedfairy
October 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Ah, I see. That's neat:) Thanks!

Molster
October 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Following on from a comment made about front lacing being a later romantisised invention, may I point out that upper and middle class did indeed lace at back or sides, as one had a servant or 'tiring maid' to do it up for you if you were a person of quality. However, lower classes didn't have such attendants, so were generally front lacing for practical reasons.

It also depends on what you mean by 'Renaissance'. In academic circles it is generally accepted to mean the 'rebirth' period between 1400 to 1600. Any student of costume will be aware of the vast changes in styles between these two dates, and equally what is not considered as correct for these dates.

To be honest it doesn't really matter for a Ren Faire unless one is trying to set up oneself as 100&#37; authentic and correct for a certain date, country and social class in an educational capacity. If you're just there to look pretty, do what ever takes your fancy.

Tyrinanial - just be gorgeous and enjoy yourself!

Fencai
October 9th, 2008, 06:31 AM
here is a site on straight lacing
it is the bottom paragraph aka ladder lacing.
i believe this is what was being referred too

it shows a picture on how to do it
http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/lacing/lacing.html

thanks for that! My bodice is too loose (from weight loss) and I'll be using the straight lacing to try and take up some slack!

StephanieB
October 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Hi, Tyrinaniel. :)

Since the moderns ladies and the rennies have answered, I'll give you the 'professional' historical answers for your hair questions.

What I'm about to share may, at first, sound snobbish... but it's not meant to be. It's meant as the strictly renaissance-period answer. ie - what ladies your age back then would have done with hair your length... And thay may have hair "short" hair your length for a number of reasons: most likely - fever or other illness, penitence for sin, or as a lover's dramatic statement.

You're a young unmarried lady, and presmuably (in the real rennaisance era) a virgin.

The most appropriate general answer is a snood over your hair, with your length lying collected in the bottom of the snood, and- if you are protraying a rich girl - also a bejewelled circlet like you already made for yourself.

The most accurate answer depends upon what exact time and place your girl supposedly comes from. Your dress looks English and to be circa 1570-1590s. It could pass for "German", although it's not. It's clearly not, for example, "Italianate" nor Spanish, nor eastern European, nor southern European. It's English of design (and do not mistake modern "British" for "English" -- as in this period, the Irish and the Scots and, to a lesser extent the Welsh, still dressed very differenlty from each other and from the English).

Your headdress is clearly Italianate of design... and more specifically Venetian of appearance. And, if not from Venice - perhaps it could pass as from Padua or possibly Bologna... or maybe Florence.

If you want to make your costume more period-accurate, with time and as you can afford it, here's what I would suggest:

A English hat - a small "pillbox"-like hat with no brim, or with a small brim, shaped and trimmed appropriately - is a better choice for the English dress. And you need not know how to sew, nor how to make hats, to do it. This consists of some heavy buckram - cut a pancake and a strip of about 3 or 4 inches width and the length equal to the circumference of the top of your head, where this will be perched or pinned. You'll need fabric to cover the buckram, and, perhaps, some lining fabric, to finish it off nicely (and properly). Stitch the fbric to the buckram. Stitch the long piece to the bottom edge of the pancake so it goes all the way around. Nicely stitch the "seam" so it's fairly flat, and neat. Hand bead with pearl and/or little colored beads that look like garnets, emeralds, and the like. Feel free to add a small brim (a doughnut of buckram covered with one of fabric, and hand-beaded also) to this, if you like, for variation. You may also add a small sheeer veil, if you like - but no longer than just touching the tops of your shoulders, at longest. No shorter than covering most of the small hat is also acceptable... and so is anything in between. if you really want to go to town with this: hand-bead the sheer veil, too.

A beret (overly large as compared with today's modern berets) is also appropriate. You only need basic handsewing skills, although a sewing machine makes for an easier-to-finish better-looking project. This consists of nothing more than two doughnuts and a pancake of a nice tapestry fabric, sewn together, and, perhaps, a nice pendant-drop broach.

These are just two of the simpler examples of how to make yourself a nice 'hat'.

Or you can always buy one already made... or pay a historical costumer like myself to do what you want.

How do I know these things?

I've been a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism for over 25 years. And while this is not my favoe period, nor the one I 'play' in now... I am knowledgeable of it, and it was the first period I 'played' in. Currently, in the SCA, I am Domina (Lady) Richenda de Honneflo, a late-12th century Norman woman.

I have been a professional historical costumer (amongst other things) for the past 20 years. I have worked for the Metropolitan Opera House in NYC, and for other theaters in NYC, NJ, and Philadelphia.

I have made - and worn - this sort of clothing many times.

Most "Rennies" (Renaissance reinactors) aren't so carefully period-accurate as we in the SCA are, or as other groups... such as the Kingdom of Acre, for example, and yet others, are.

If you really want to go whole-hog, I'll feed you more.

If you're happy with what I gave you, good and enjoy.

I am turning in to bed; this old broad is tired, and it's late. lol :D

Tyrinaniel
October 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hi Everyone!

Sorry, my email didn't want to alert me with the new replies :(

Stephanie:
Even though I'd love to go full out on the period correctness, I don't have the funds to buy a snood, nor the talent to make one. I don't have the funds or materials to make the pillbox hat, which I would make if I did have it. If I made one, it would be more like this:

http://www.verymerryseamstress.com/pictures/pillboxwithbarbette01.jpg

It's simple, yet sounds like what you're talking about. The coronet seems period also. In many plays and movies, the English seem to have worn that. With this festival, I doubt everyone will be exact on their period wear. Only about 30% will be dressing, and half won't be that accurate. But I want to be close enough! Thank you for your help

Also, thanks to longhairedfairy for the links, and everyone for the straight lacing. I had read somewhere straight lacing actually meant "closed" lacing, as in the bodice was closed, but even I thought that my outfit isn't particularly accurate in period, but close enough. It doesn't even require and actual corset due to how she made it!

I'll try to figure something out. In the end, I doubt it will completely matter, but next time around I'll be prepared ;)

sky
October 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Just a couple of small notes....I agree w/ most that Ren Faire is not particularly authentic, so you are okay wearing anything you please. Your garb is lovely all on its own! Such wonderful colours for you.

The lacing thing is, I believe, based on how quickly one can get the bodice open more than anything else. Front-laced is not authentic, but if you are to do it, it would be best laced top to bottom.

Your hair jewelry and necklace look perfectly fine. But if you really want a snood, for heaven's sake, don't pay nearly a hundred dollars for one just because it is "hand made"! You can easily make a snood yourself. Very simple crochet stitches will turn the trick. If you can chain, you can snood. Hey! I created a new verb. "to snood". :lol:

Crocheting a snood is the work of about two hours, at most. Use easily available crochet thread, yarn or the 1/8" satin ribbon you find at fabric stores.

You just do simple chains into the beginning very small circle, and crochet into the middle opening of the previous row's chain. Each row has a couple more chain stitches, so the work lies flat as it grows larger. Finish w/ an elastic strand crocheted into the final row, or lace a narrow ribbon through the chain openings and tie that around your bun or pony tail. You can wear this high or low, and it can be tight or loose.

If you have trouble getting this to happen, take your thread, hook and idea into any store that sells these things and get a few minute's help from someone there. They do this all the time, so just ask!

Even easier is to make a sort of netting by knotting very narrow ribbon much as one would crochet the snood. It's sort of like the old macramé technique....lay out several ribbons flat on work surface in a circle w/ the ribbons all crossing in the middle. Pin them down to keep them corralled while you work. A pillow works well for this.

Then start knotting a new strand of ribbon at the center and work around and around, making the spaces between knots greater to create a round, flat doily-like thing. You could even thread small beads onto the knotting strand and slip them into place wherever they look good.

Finish tying off all the ribbons, add a thin elastic strand or thread another ribbon through to tie it and pull the whole into a small pouch, into which you stuff your hair.

Simple and effective. Netting is actually authentic; crocheting is suspect.

You may find yourself w/ a little "cottage industry" in snoods for others.

But this is Ren Faire, so authenticity is not mandatory.....just wear anything you like that looks good on you. Your hair jewelry would work perfectly and you would not need to do a thing.

On the Locks of Love issue, there are serious doubts that your donation ever reaches the child you believe will benefit from your hair cut. Check it out for yourself. It's all over the web.

Have a wonderful time at the event! Everyone will compliment you and you will have a fun day. :-)

StephanieB
October 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.verymerryseamstress.com/pictures/pillboxwithbarbette01.jpg

No, that is a very late 12th/early 13th-century fillet and barbette... and it's a worngly constructed barbette, at that.

Your own hair is just fine for your purpose.

I beg you NOT to go with clearly wrong head gear over your own just fine hair!!

Your dress is 16th century, a fillet and barbette is turn of the 13th century.

A properly done barbette is a simple piece of cloth with widened ends, that is passed underneath your chin, and pinned at the top (crown) of your head with straight pins.

One may either wear a fillet over her barbette, or under her barbette. Both were done, in period. Most correctly, one wore a snood underneath her fillet and barbette. A short round veil, doubled in half, was often thrown over the netire thing, and pinned with straight pins.

I'm begging you NOT to screw up a beautiful - and decently done - 16th century dress with a turn-of-the-13th century 'hat'!!

As to the lacing question I saw addressed earlier.....

The modern style of lacing (criss-crossing, as a sneaker's lace) isn't appropriate to any clothing pre-17th century.

In the 16th century, the most often laced with spiral lacing. One lace for both sides of holes. just lace it over/in one side and out/under the other side, and over/in the first side, and out/under the second side again to over/under the original starting side... etc. You end up with a laced edge that looks just like a sewn bound edge. You need a much longer lace for this style of lacing than for modern criss-cross lacing.

Earlier (medieval) lacing from at least the 14th century backwards used both straight lacing and spiral lacing. The straight lacing is earlier than the spiral lacing. By the 12th century, both were in use. By the end of the 13th century, most women spiral-laced, and straight lacing was a thing of the past.

Straight lacing is done with one lace, also, but unlike spiral lacing, in straight lacing one moved the single lace in and out (or up and down) in a sewing motion (like you were sewing with a needle and thread) over BOTH sets of holes. In other words, you put one side's holes directly over the other side's holes, making on double-thcik line of lacing holes. Then, you laced with the sewing motion that I described. You end up with a series of vertical lacing lines similar to the dotted line painted on any road. You need a much longer lace than modern laces for this method, also.

I'll be back shortly to post up a few pix of my in 12th century and turn-of-the-13th century attire... so you can see the head gear I'm describing. :)

StephanieB
October 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
This is late 12th century clothing for large parts of Europe ---> http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/StephaniesPix/IMG_0560.jpg

Here's a close-up of a long oval veil of silk pinned to a linen barbette underneath, with a fillet of tapestry over it all ---> http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/StephaniesPix/IMG_0542.jpg

That ^ is NOT what I meant for you!

See the lady on the left, in blue? She's wearing the kind of beret I told you about.

The lady on the right is wearing a French hood - not appropriate for your dress, since yours is clearly not Court gown but merely a city-dweller's dress or, perhaps, a merchant's daughter's dress.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/StephaniesPix/IMG_0557.jpg

I don't have a picture on hand, right now, to show you the pillbox hat I meant.

Pillbox hat means smaller than one's entire head. It only covers the top of one's head... think Jackie Kennedy in the'60s. Those size hats.

Tyrinaniel
October 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks so much for your help, Stephanie! It's great to talk to someone who knows what she's talking about!

I know exactly what you're talking about now. Only problem is, I can't make one or buy one. I'm thinking of just doing without for now, unless I can find one in a halloween store with a decent make, then cover it with some scrap fabric I know will work well. I'm pretty decent at sewing. Some halloween stores I saw online have a Polish version of the pillbox hat, but I don't want to mix Polish and English. I'll probably just style my hair nicely. If I find a good berrett that looks period enough, that could work too. Though, there are probably some vintage stores around with a simple pillbox. Who knows?

I'm glad you said my garb is more of a merchant style, because that's really what I thought when I first saw it. Now to make some jewelry that's a bit more period for it!

Tyrinaniel
October 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Well, this is a photo I posted on my DeviantART page. Though, I didn't even make this for the costume, but jewelry wise, what do you all think? I thought it might be a bit "period-less."

http://fc33.deviantart.com/fs37/i/2008/273/3/7/Pearl_Necklace_by_Melancholic_Symphony.jpg

I was looking up the way authentic costume jewelry makers have done their English Renaissance period pieces, and I thought something along these lines may work. I could even just wear a faux pearl/necklace set that looks like real pearls I bought awhile back. It would just be a string of pearls and pearl earrings.

Hair wise I believe I've decided on just having the hair up in a bun with the headband. For now that's all I can do that won't be immodest yet fitting the garb enough. I'll post photos after the 25th!