PDA

View Full Version : Wow - that moment when you pass your hair idols

Valkyriejae
April 4th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Even though I've been growing my hair since I was a child, I didn't really have an inspirational hair-person until the movies of the Lord of the Rings came out. Well, aside from the Disney princesses, but I don't count physics-defying cartoon hair :)

I promptly went as Galadriel for Halloween (even though my hair was only about BSL at the time, which caused some confusion) and idolized her and Eowyn's gorgeous, thick, long blond hair.

I've watched the movies so many times over the years, always thinking "well, I'll never have the colour, but I can't wait until I have that length!" but it's been a few years (last time I think was in first year of my undergrad, so about 3-4 years ago.)

Today, I was watching the show Reign, and thinking about how long Mary's hair looks, even though it's "only" waist length - it appears to be everflowing. I wondered if that happened with other long-haired characters. And I googled Eowyn and Galadriel.

I'm basically past them both! Eowyn's hair generally seems around waist-hip, sometimes as long as BCL, and Galadriel's usually hovers around Hip - TBL, with a few strands in a few shots getting close to classic. I myself am now at classic when wet, with about an inch to go until I hit full classic beyond a few fast-growing strands!

Has anyone else hit this excilerating moment? When you realize you'll have to find a new length-idol? I suppose I can still count Galadriel, since her hair is curly/wavy and probably longer if stretched, but still - the visual length has been reached!

MINAKO
April 4th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Oh yes! quite a few times. I remember an Aveda model and Sohee from the wondergirl who i had suddenly out grown in the past few years. Also a chinese Hairmodel who does these sort of slow motion bun drop videos, lol.
But my most memorable and long term hair idol is and will probably always be Olivia Hussey. Its was a realistic goal to begin with, and shes just so drool worthy in any of her movie, especially in the movie All the right noises. Kind of careless, but majestic at the same time. She also reminds me of my best friend in Highschool who had that sort of hair, she was a total tomboy tho. Ripping elstics oit, brushing fiercely and not even bothering to look at her split ends one a year.

http://picload.org/image/igwdddp/image.jpg

lapushka
April 4th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Woops. I don't have hair idols, and the people I respect and admire for their hair on here are still way past my growth goal (classic).

MINAKO
April 4th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Since Nekokawaii posted a pic of her mom i wonder if alot of the influence comes from this side as well.
My mom had long, darkbrown hair she always wore in a middle part too. It was just not that long, BSL/Midback, i think.

PennyQuin
April 4th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I still haven't reached my ultimate idol's hair (Lara croft, after the reboot. Yes, you can laught everything you want) but I'm pretty close. MINAKO, I used too love K-pop idols long hair too much like Sohee and Victoria from f(x) and started growing my hair, but then the shorties wave came and I finished having longer hair than all the K-pop idols.

Kendrix
April 4th, 2015, 08:13 PM
My medieval literature professor from college had really long hair. It was so pretty. Hers was classic when she wore a loose braid so no way I've passed her, but just before I graduated last may when I was at waist, she stopped me to tell me how beautiful she thought my hair was. I had a warm fuzzy moment because I took classes with her every year and I was shoulder length when I was a freshman. To have my hair idol tell me she thought my hair was beautiful meant the world to me. And this is before I found the lhc.

endlessly
April 4th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I know exactly what you mean! I've always loved the movie Ever After with Drew Barrymore and all the gorgeous long hair, but I never felt like my hair was ever long enough to match theirs. Low and behold, I passed that length by nearly a foot before noticing! Most of the actresses wore wigs that were only hip length - I think the longest was just shy of tailbone - and my hair was midway to my knee up until recently, so I did a little dance when I was watching the movie and it suddenly hit me that I had long surpassed my goal. Then, I decided to get my hair cut, of course, because that's what always happens to me. I needed it, though, so I'm not too upset. And, best of all, my hair is still longer than the hair in the movie.

Now I want to watch that movie!

spidermom
April 4th, 2015, 08:24 PM
There was a waittress in the movie Michael with John Travolta. Her hair was curly and in a V-shape. I watched that movie when my hair was around tailbone length and realized that my hair was longer (at least visually; hers was probably longer than mine but losing length to curl). It felt so strange to see that!

hairhair
April 4th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Well my hair is only MBL, but today I saw a girl and thought her hair was long, then realised it was only around BSL! :D I have actually seen a bunch of long-hairs in real life recently - a girl in one of my classes has around classic-length, with long layers and a U-shape cut. So happy for her that she's obviously found a hairdresser who knows how to do styles on long hair, rather than compelling her to cut it!

PixxieStix
April 4th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I think I've reached pretty solid hip length hair, but my goal is tailbone. :D Danielle from Ever After is one of my hair inspirations, so I haven't quite passed that yet, but I am noticing that when I go out, my hair is usually longer than that I see on people whose hair I consider long. :D

Aurum
April 4th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I haven't watched Little Women (1994) in a few months, but I'm pretty sure that I'm close to or even past Jo March's glorious hair. It was a wig, but it was a beautiful wig, and it inspired me to start my hair journey. Too bad I'll never have her thickness though.

AspenSong
April 4th, 2015, 10:10 PM
It's weird to think about....but other than Crystal Gayle, who was always someone whose hair I loved, since a child, I guess I have passed a lot of my hair inspirations for the most part.
Eowyn from LOTR and the woman in the Edmund Blair Leighton painting - The Accolade...always loved their hair. Sophie Marceau in Braveheart, and I'm about that length now.

MINAKO
April 5th, 2015, 05:39 AM
I still haven't reached my ultimate idol's hair (Lara croft, after the reboot. Yes, you can laught everything you want) but I'm pretty close. MINAKO, I used too love K-pop idols long hair too much like Sohee and Victoria from f(x) and started growing my hair, but then the shorties wave came and I finished having longer hair than all the K-pop idols.

Lara Crofts Braid is amazing, not a joke at all!
Yes there have been less and less girls in KPop with long hair, especially natural colors are rare these days. Everyone has either strawberry blonde, auburn or greyish/violet hair, but i like that alot too. Sometimes i try to learn the dances and Sohees hair is always swishing so gorgeously. It was her who made me cut a blunt hemline for quite some time until i realized im way past her length and would prefer a softer look past hip to take the bulkyness out of my hair.

Im adding the video of my chinese inspiration again. Its an older one and her her hair is much longer now, so i havent actually outgrown her, unless shes like two feet shorter than me and we are talkin inches, but she doesnt look that petite.

https://youtu.be/Pk_mai7IRcs

emmita
April 5th, 2015, 09:00 AM
A few years ago I was totally in love with Friends (the series), and I used to watch it every single day. I remember having shoulder length and I adored Rachel's hair in season 5 or 6. If you guys have ever watched it (which I'm sure some of you have), you know that Ross dates a student, and at the same time Rachel dates the student's father. That's the season I'm talking about! :D Recently I happened to watch that exact season on tv, and I found myself thinking that Rachel didn't have that long hair as I remembered. Well, of course she had the same lenght, but I used to think that it was impossible for me to grow hair as long as hers. And yet I don't, mine is about 1-1½ inch shorter which means that I still have a few months of growing ahead of me. But actually, it doesn't matter. It was the feeling of almost accomplishing something that I used to think was more or less impossible. It felt so weird but at the same time awesome! :D

truepeacenik
April 5th, 2015, 09:14 AM
My first external impetus to grow seriously and monitor length was a line in the book, Little Miss Strange, by Johanna Rose.
It's from the POV of a young girl growing up surrounded by early '70s counterculture. She describes one adult character's hair as "even with the bottom of her jeans pockets."
And blunt cut.
I was approaching waist yet again at that time.

I remember taking a length photo, and realizing the marker I'd filed in my head was now under hair, by a couple inches.

As for human inspiration, I go to Bay Area meets. I always feel like a short hair.

Kate_1221
April 5th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Haha yes, actually, I was just rewatching Lord of the Rings this week and decided that I'm more or less at Éowyn's length now. She was my big hair idol growing up, although back then, I think I already had hair about as long as hers (relatively at least, I was younger and less tall). But I cut it off again later, and now I'm at the longest I've had it in years.

prettigurl
April 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
I am looking forward to that moment. I have about a year until I pass my hair crushes.

StellaKatherine
April 5th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Hmmmm... my hair crush would be from less know Cecilia ( Arn the Templar Knight movies )

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/21/e5/a6/21e5a634f6280192f667e9ad24b62d4f.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/70/f7/79/70f779b768869993db98fa07be916134.jpg

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5751/arn12nt1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tVvT6qHSqoY/Tq6XJSsYFpI/AAAAAAAAAdE/5spdoSwsGYw/s1600/arn+5.jpg

Sorry, for so many photos hehe My wild guess is, that she had about classic/fingertip lenght there.... And that is very much wavy. My hair will never be as light, but yeah, that lenght :crush:

Valkyriejae
April 5th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Cecelia has AMAZING hair. I've never seen the movie all the way through, but wowsa. The kicker for me with most of these are that almost all my goals and hair idols are wigs...
Not really fair to compare my poor follicles to the machinations of a costume department xD
I do have this lovely image though: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/60/f2/ab/60f2ab2f028098f7ee245d1301a36daa.jpg
No clue who this woman is - the picture I think was taken at Pennsic War and popped up on a pinterest. I can't tell for sure if it's her real hair, but I know there are many longhairs in the SCA and RenFaires so I suspect it is. Either way, it's GORGEOUS :)

truepeacenik
April 5th, 2015, 12:11 PM
^^
It's either all real or all wig.it is consistent.
I was in the SCA a short while, then worked circuit, and I saw plenty real hair that long.
But I also saw a lot of wigs for court dress and so on.

StellaKatherine
April 5th, 2015, 12:27 PM
The reason why I love Cecilia's hair, is that it is similar texture to mine and when open it doesn't look too big :) Kinda feel like I could get there ;)

Agnes Hannah
April 12th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I've got a long way to go!!!
My hair idols are Rags, (who I am closest to for length, I'm at hip,) Rapunzelcat, ApensSong and maria.asa, who is at knee I believe, so yes I have a long way to grow yet!!

HappyHair87
April 12th, 2015, 05:50 PM
I wrote this in another thread...but my hair idol was Aaliyah, the singer. I recently saw a pic of her with her hair from the back....one of the pictures I used to look at and say "i want my hair long like that!" Her hair was BSL.

My hair is WL+ :)

Now I'm shooting for Hip or just above it.

I love YouTuber's Curly Proverbs hair! it's so big! And when she straightens it it's so long and shiny and flowy! *insert goo goo eyes!* lol

hanne jensen
April 13th, 2015, 11:04 AM
It will be a long, long time before I get anywhere near my hair idol's length. My hair idol is gossamer who just posted her 5 year anniversary hair pics. Just once in my life I want hair as long as hers.