PDA

View Full Version : Help , my ends are fairy knotting

vega
April 4th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Hey need advice please, I had a trim 3 weeks ago cause I was getting tiny knots on strands on my hair , after my trim some are still there it's only noticeable really closely , should I have another trim I want to hold off on another trim but how can I get these knots to stop

Nique1202
April 4th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Use a leave-in conditioner or a moisturizing cream for hair on your ends or from the shoulders down every day, and oil after that if the ends can handle it without looking greasy. Wear protective styles (braids, buns) as often as you can so it doesn't have the chance to coil up and get knotted. Don't play with your hair too much when it's down. Comb slowly and gently when you're detangling, with a wide-toothed comb or your fingers. Also, get a nice sharp pair of scissors to use only on your hair and start S&Ding the knots out. You don't need to trim all the hair on your head if you only find a few knots every week, you know?

lapushka
April 4th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Lots of moisturizing, and you won't get them, or significantly reduce them if you're prone to getting them. Why not try double conditioning, or a thick mask of some sorts, should be about the same. And use a leave in afterwards to smooth through the strands. Plus an oil/serum. It should help.

Panth
April 4th, 2015, 07:18 AM
If there's only a few, just S&D the fairyknots out as and when you see them. There's no need to trim everything just to deal with a few ends.

lapushka
April 4th, 2015, 08:11 AM
If there's only a few, just S&D the fairyknots out as and when you see them. There's no need to trim everything just to deal with a few ends.

Exactly! ^^ :)

Arctic
April 4th, 2015, 08:25 AM
I'm not nearly as curly as you are, and these fairy knots seem to be more common on curlies than on other types. However, I do get them too occasionally. To me they seem to be at least partially tied up with my conditioners. Some conditioners, if used for longer time periods exclusively, will cause a new numerous crop of these knots. Then I change to my normal (a long time favourite) and the number of new ones goes down dramatically. I haven't been able to pinpoint why or how excatly this happens, what ingredients cause it: I never (well almost never, but I can say never in this context) use coney conditioners for example. I suspect it has to do with moisture levels of my hair.

chen bao jun
April 4th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I also find they are less if I curl the ends of my hair every night with large satin covered rollers, which straighten my ends oddly enough.

Larki
April 4th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I used to get fairy knots, but haven't found any since I started co-washing almost a year ago. I think extra moisture helps.

endlessly
April 4th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Use tons of conditioner and a leave-in conditioner. I had this same problem several years back and sometimes do still get those tiny knots you're talking about. If I'm planning on washing my hair that day, I'll use a deep conditioning treatment, then let it sit for a while before finger-combing or on non-wash days, I'll just use a bit of leave-in conditioner and let it sit before trying to comb through it with my fingers.

If your hair is fine or wispy, it will unfortunately keep happening, just try to avoid hairstyles that you've noticed cause knots - wearing it down was the major culprit for me. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to trim unless your ends are very damaged, just keep up with conditioning and moisturizing the hair and you should be fine.

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 11:44 AM
If you didn't have knots like this before, but now it's a problem, I would carefully analyze current routine and your current ways of styling hair and look for more protective styles and more intense/more appropriate conditioners - maybe you need something with way more slip: more silicones, more behentrimonium chloride, more oils and other emollients...? Maybe your current styling techniques can be improved upon to prevent knots - something like braided buns or sectioned/double/triple buns or maybe heat-free straightening techniques (jumbo foam rollers, hair-wrapping...) might be of some help... It will take some experimentation to find the best routine for preventing knots. :flower:

Safira
April 4th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Just asking.... Where are the fairy knots coming from? :ponder:

Arctic
April 4th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Little fairies play tricks to us humans, and tie them when we sleep. :)

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Just asking.... Where are the fairy knots coming from? :ponder:

I would think, from normal tangling process and the structure/texture of hair strands (for example, presence of kinking, etc), also presence of lint/dust/specks of dirt could help knotting and tangling.

Anje
April 4th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Did you change products or anything?

I've noticed that I get more if I use a silicone serum. That might be from the slip, it might be the dryness that it causes me. It might be because I'm inclined to wear my hair loose more when it's all extra-slippery.

sourgrl
April 4th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I think the advice above is spot on. Just want to add consider trying oil rinsing. Oil rinsing has really helped me battle the fairy knots I was experiencing.

kdaniels8811
April 4th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Catnip tea soaks will help, too.