PDA

View Full Version : How to wash length?

Budgie
April 4th, 2015, 12:53 AM

Nini
April 4th, 2015, 02:32 AM
Whenever I need to give my length some extra cleaning I just add a little extra shampoo and run that through first, then I bunch it all up and give it a couple of good rubs against the back of my head.

On another note I hardly ever use oils since they don't do much else but make it stringy and oily looking. Once in a while I add a drop or two to wet hair and it'll soak up, but that's got to be a light oil.

Wusel
April 4th, 2015, 02:50 AM
I've recently watched a YouTube video where a girl with very long hair explained how she washers her hair. She first massages her scalp with shampoo and then, without rubbing, just runs her soaped fingers through the hair a few times.

Maybe you should change your coconut oil routine and put it on dried hair after the wash...
I use coconut oil on my hair every day because my hair is so dry that it seems to drink it and I take a little amount on my hands and oil my hands first (because the skin on my hands is so dry too... I drink tons of water but I'm like a dehydrated apple all over) and then I run my fingers through my hair and skim over the top layer of my hair. That's enough for a day and makes it super shiny too... And the next day, when my hair feels dry again because the oil is soaked up by the hair or my pillow or the hood of my jacket, I do it again.
Maybe it's better for you too to take a tiny amount every day then more as pre-poo?

CastaDiva
April 4th, 2015, 04:11 AM
I find that the easiest way to remove oil from heavy pre-poo oilings is to apply lots of conditioner to the hair before washing. I apply a generous amount of a cheap conditioner on top of the oil, gently squeeze it in to distribute it evenly and thouroghly, put it in a loose bun on top of my head and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. I then apply water, emulsify the conditioner, rinse and continue with the rest of the hair washing routine. This method works every time for me :)

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 09:42 AM
I find that the easiest way to remove oil from heavy pre-poo oilings is to apply lots of conditioner to the hair before washing. I apply a generous amount of a cheap conditioner on top of the oil, gently squeeze it in to distribute it evenly and thouroghly, put it in a loose bun on top of my head and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. I then apply water, emulsify the conditioner, rinse and continue with the rest of the hair washing routine. This method works every time for me :)

I agree. :agree: This works very well and you avoid drying out the length with shampoo when you use light conditioner to remove that oil instead.

In the future, I'd recommend using less oil to avoid over-oiling regularly. :)

MINAKO
April 4th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Im also heavy on pre poo oiling. I always make sure my hair is detangled well before washing (CO) so i can use my comb in the shower with ease. I also use my scalp brush now to distibute the conditioner and mae it emulsify all the oils my hair didnt absorb. I now brushing in the shower sounds like a bad idea at first, but its really gentler than using my hand and causing tangles again. The brush just glides like a hot knife through butter.

mermaid lullaby
April 4th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Tip: use 1 drop of oil and spread it in your hands or, if it is solid like coconut oil, it should look like you have a sheen. For example, it should look just like as if you have hand lotion on.
Then leave on for about half hour before a shower.

Um, I don't apply oil everyday, I only apply it once or twice, between showers days. Always a drop.

Hope this helps.

lapushka
April 4th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know how I should wash the length?

Either let the suds run down the lengths (if you haven't overoiled), or put a dab of shampoo on the length, run some water over it, then "massage" it up and down your length. Do not rub, do not pile it on top of each other, just massage it down the length. If that makes sense.

Aurum
April 4th, 2015, 03:23 PM
TorrinPaige has an excellent video on this. It basically re-taught me how to wash my hair. :D

Also, if the oil soaks are making your hair greasy, maybe use less oil or do them less frequently? There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Budgie
April 5th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Whenever I do a heavy pre-poo I use Suave conditioner 15-20 minutes before I shower. Work great at getting leftover oils out and I avoid drying out my hair with shampoo.

FuzzyBlackWaves
April 5th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I very gently finger comb the shampoo through the length since it letting it rinse down the length doesn't get enough of the oil out of my hair and leaves it looking greasy. I always use a deep ocnditioner afterwards so it doesn't dry my hair out.

gwenalyn
April 5th, 2015, 09:48 PM
I do a *heavy* pre-poo oiling, left in overnight, and I've never had to do anything more than let the suds run down the length and rinse. However, I also use a sulfate shampoo which probably has more cleaning power than most non-sulfate shampoos.

Budgie
April 6th, 2015, 05:28 AM

spidermom
April 6th, 2015, 07:03 AM
I shampoo the scalp area with diluted shampoo, rinse, then apply conditioner over the oil and let it marinate while I wash myself. Then I rinse out the conditioner, and the excess oil goes with it.