PDA

View Full Version : Split ends versus breakage

copperlites
April 3rd, 2015, 03:16 PM
I have fine hair, but quite a lot of it, 3 ½" circumference. Currently 27"long, trying to get to waist length. I am fairly new here and my hair is chemically dyed and has been straightened with Behave Keratin treatment, most recently in December 2015. The last 2 months have seen the condition improve as a result of all my findings on here, and i am hoping to learn to embrace my natural texture as the straightening wears off.
So my question is this, I find it impossible to do search and destroy for split ends, I have never found a single split end, despite all the chemical processes, what i do have is breakage. Sometimes more than other times.
1. Does fine hair like mine just break rather than split?
I have just started a second round of inversion therapy. I am using coconut oil as the base for carrying the essential oils I am applying. I noticed on day one of this second round that there were quite a few broken off shorter pieces of hair in the bathroom where I was doing this.
2. Is this a sign that coconut oil could be too heavy for my hair?
I am pretty sure that it is the coconut oilngs I do it before each wash ( every 3rd day) and sometimes overnight, that have greatly improved the condition of my hair. I am taking silica and biotin in an attempt to increase the strength of new hair growing, I do have "a fuzz halo", for want of a better description, of new growth, which is good as I am hoping to regain the loss of thickness that chemical processes have caused.

Nique1202
April 3rd, 2015, 03:44 PM
1. Not all hair splits. Some hair splits, but some hair gets white dots to indicate damage, some hair gets distinct little bends near the ends, some hair wears down in a taper to nothing, some hair just breaks off and leaves either a little spiral from stretching, or no sign at all. It all depends on the basic structure of the hair itself (some hair is more prone to one kind of problem than another) and what kind of damage has been done to it.

2. It's true that not all hair likes coconut oil. You could try switching to a different oil, but since the problem you pointed out was breakage, it's more likely that your hair is just so overprocessed and damaged that it's breaking from the manipulation. If your hair is so treated that it's breaking off like that, there may not be much you can do for the length of it except let it grow and trim it out and try to avoid damage with protective updos. I'd probably pass on the supplements myself, because it's hard to be deficient in those two in particular unless you have a very narrow/restrictive diet. Your new hair growth is probably perfectly healthy, until you get to the part that's been chemically treated.

MINAKO
April 3rd, 2015, 04:57 PM
My hair never splits either, regrdless of how long i go without a trim. Neither does it break alot, but i do get these bent ends Nique mentioned. They kinda look electrocuted and even if i can get them to lay down flat again they are rough dry and catch on each other, creating tangles, so they need to go.
Its impossible to avoid any damage at all. 2 or 3 pieces of hair in the sink after detangling are not breakage in my book. Maybe you could contain your hair in a loose ponytail or pigtails while doing the massage to not move it around so much.

copperlites
April 4th, 2015, 04:59 AM
1. Not all hair splits. Some hair splits, but some hair gets white dots to indicate damage, some hair gets distinct little bends near the ends, some hair wears down in a taper to nothing, some hair just breaks off and leaves either a little spiral from stretching, or no sign at all. It all depends on the basic structure of the hair itself (some hair is more prone to one kind of problem than another) and what kind of damage has been done to it.

2. It's true that not all hair likes coconut oil. You could try switching to a different oil, but since the problem you pointed out was breakage, it's more likely that your hair is just so overprocessed and damaged that it's breaking from the manipulation. If your hair is so treated that it's breaking off like that, there may not be much you can do for the length of it except let it grow and trim it out and try to avoid damage with protective updos. I'd probably pass on the supplements myself, because it's hard to be deficient in those two in particular unless you have a very narrow/restrictive diet. Your new hair growth is probably perfectly healthy, until you get to the part that's been chemically treated.

thanks Nique1202 for this detailed info. And minako. I have never been able to find any white dots either but have definitely noticed a couple of bent hairs about ¼ inch from the ends and am going to get hubby to give me a trim. My hair also tapers, partly due to layers but I'm sure breakage is a factor.. Since starting to look after my hair better, 6 weeks ago. It has grown 1 ½ inches but my hemline looks quite uneven due to racers.
Im going to give up the straightening and learn how to love my natural waves. Also I am investigating alternatives to chemical dyes such as henna or I have found a nearby salon that offers organic, chemical free hair dye.

My hair looks and feels better than it has in years since coming here and learning so much and really appreciate all the time and effort people put in to sharing their knowledge.

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 12:10 PM
You already got some great advice here :) , I'll just add that hydrolyzed protein treatments might be worth considering for chemically treated hair with damage.
Hydrolyzed proteins can penetrate hair (if they are small enough) and adsorb to hair cuticle, temporarily patch-repairing, filling cracked cuticle. I'd look into those treatments whether you have split ends, white dots, breakage, unusually bent (sticking out) ends...

Some strong ones are gelatin DIY treatment: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html, Aphogee 2-step treatment: http://aphogee.com/two-step-protein-treatment-for-professional-use/ and many others. :)

copperlites
April 5th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks Meteor I will give the gelatin treatment a go for sure!