PDA

View Full Version : Could I use this SheaMoisture soap bar on my hair?

Breanna
April 2nd, 2015, 03:16 PM
I have SD on my nape and it's been irritating me lately so I sent my dad to get the Shea Moisture African Black Soap shampoo at Walgreen's today while he was out but they didn't have it so he got the bar soap version instead, thinking that even though it's for eczema/psoriasis on the rest of the body maybe it would be okay to use.
I probably won't actually use it on my hair or even all over my scalp but just the one part that bothers me, and I'm just concerned because it'll still be touching the hair in that area and I wouldn't want it to dry it out too much as my nape hair is a little fragile.

Here are the ingredients (not as similar to the shampoo ingredients as I hoped):
Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Palmitic Acid, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter, Certified Organic), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Sunflower), Salix Alba Bark Extract (Willow), Saponified Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Saponified Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Saponified Elaeis Guineensis Kernel Oil (Palm), Cocoa Pod Ash, Avena Sativa Kernel Meal (Oat), Carbon, Avena Sativa Kernal Flour (Oat), Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Tea Tree), Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate

Do you think any of these would be too drying or anything?

Anje
April 2nd, 2015, 04:12 PM
Have you ever used soap on your scalp before? This stuff looks like it's a true soap (not a detergent like shampoo), which means it won't rinse away completely if your water is at all hard. You'll probably want to have some vinegar at the ready, so you can do a diluted vinegar rinse if your hair feels gunky after rinsing it out. On the other hand, lots of grumpy scalps do really well with vinegar rinses, so that's not necessarily a bad thing either way.

It's hard to say from the ingredients list how harsh a soap is... they all look pretty similar and the levels of harshness are largely related to how much they superfatted the soap (and I tend to feel that you can normally ignore ingredients after fragrance when it comes to any benefits they might provide). A heavily superfatted soap won't be very drying, a lightly superfatted one will be more so.

Anyway, feel free to try it. At worst, you won't like it and you'll end up shampooing it.

Remi
April 2nd, 2015, 04:18 PM
I agree with Anje; just give it a try. :)

Breanna
April 2nd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Thank you, I agree, I'll just try it out and if I don't like it I can give it to my boyfriend who does have eczema on his body.
I use shampoo bars regularly and I love them, and that's why I figured I'd give this a shot. :)